Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

Has anyone here ridden a Honda NT650 (Hawk GT, Bros)? I see them around pretty regularly for not-excessive prices, and there's something about that bike that just generally appeals to me.

The 400 version is the weapon of choice for bike couriers here because they're small and nimble and the engine is fairly bulletproof. I've seen a few of the 650s with 750 Africa Twin engines swapped in aswell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LarryCsonka
Nov 7, 2006
Oooh, I don't go map-finding-behinding

Sagebrush posted:

Has anyone here ridden a Honda NT650 (Hawk GT, Bros)? I see them around pretty regularly for not-excessive prices, and there's something about that bike that just generally appeals to me.

This is mine:

I love it, although it is the only bike I have ridden besides a couple classics so I don't have much to compare it with. Feels very good through corners and its plenty quick enough for me. I would certainly recommend it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

LarryCsonka posted:

This is mine:

I love it, although it is the only bike I have ridden besides a couple classics so I don't have much to compare it with. Feels very good through corners and its plenty quick enough for me. I would certainly recommend it

How do you keep your bike so clean and spotless? I ride mine for one day and every nook and cranny in the engine is filthy. Every bike I've owned was like this.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

How do you keep your bike so clean and spotless? I ride mine for one day and every nook and cranny in the engine is filthy. Every bike I've owned was like this.

you live in the UK, where diesel (and therefor soot) is king. Just the dust kicked up by cars on a dry day will make your bike filthy, to say nothing of road spray.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Linedance posted:

you live in the UK, where diesel (and therefor soot) is king. Just the dust kicked up by cars on a dry day will make your bike filthy, to say nothing of road spray.

I don't live in the UK, I live in NZ which has mostly petrol cars and is generally pretty clean-green. It just seems to get covered in random dirt and grime even though I don't live anywhere near any gravel roads or dirt tracks or rural areas.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Just go for a spin when it's raining, that'll clean it up. :smug:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I don't live in the UK, I live in NZ which has mostly petrol cars and is generally pretty clean-green. It just seems to get covered in random dirt and grime even though I don't live anywhere near any gravel roads or dirt tracks or rural areas.

Whoops, sorry man! Could have sworn you were a pom! ;) must have got you confused with someone else.

LarryCsonka
Nov 7, 2006
Oooh, I don't go map-finding-behinding

Slavvy posted:

That photo was taken on a good day, it is not normally that clean. Although it doesn't seem to get too filthy day to day

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Xovaan posted:

I'm an rBST poster child, baby. :sun:

Sport bikes are meant for jockies, not this:

exhibit A: a picture of me next to a modern Japanese sport bike

What would you do with a sportbike? They don't typically have anywhere to stow that purse.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I am so jonesing to get my bike out. Between cold, snow, work, and some medical poo poo I haven't ridden in months and this situation really needs to be corrected.

At 6'3", one of my friends described my riding his wife's Suzuki Savage as a monkey loving a football. I can't believe how far I rode on my old EX500.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I'm 6'2"* with a 34"** inseam, I can comfortably operate the Twinstar from the pillion seat.
I also currently outweigh it

*188cm
**86cm

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
Honda's releasing a VTR250 with a fairing!

Only in Japan.

It's a half-fairing.

The bike still costs 30% more than the CBR250R.

And the fairing looks awful.

(on the upside, turns out the 390 Duke is exactly the right height for me)

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

MoraleHazard posted:

I am so jonesing to get my bike out. Between cold, snow, work, and some medical poo poo I haven't ridden in months and this situation really needs to be corrected.

At 6'3", one of my friends described my riding his wife's Suzuki Savage as a monkey loving a football. I can't believe how far I rode on my old EX500.

Over a month for me. It's nice today but I have a seriously wicked headcold courtesy of taking the train for the last month. I don't want to fill me helmet with snot...

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
The sun's out and the snow has finally hosed off, so I'm skiving off early to go hoon up my favourite road on the way home. I can't wait :)

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I don't know whether it was the adjustment of the chain, front brake, air pressure, or the shiny new set of Sport Demons... but Jesus Christ my Ninjette is like a whole new bike. Winter needs to gently caress off.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Fifty Three posted:

I don't know whether it was the adjustment of the chain, front brake, air pressure, or the shiny new set of Sport Demons... but Jesus Christ my Ninjette is like a whole new bike. Winter needs to gently caress off.

All of those things are going to contribute to that new-bike-feeling. Chain and tires especially.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Do I get bonus points if the previous tires were the stock tires? From 2001? :v:

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Fifty Three posted:

oh god I remember the day my Ninjette got new Pirelli's, replacing OEM-model tires. My other bike, a Ninja 500 that also had new Pirelli's, instantly became lower in the food chain. The 250R is a brilliant bike with good tires.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Does anyone do sticky T or U-rated tyres any more? I remember Bridgestone BT96 (might be BT94, I'm old) were the absolute poo poo on my RS125, they were IIRC designed for the Japanese 400s and were basically cut racing slicks that anything with more power would have torn to shreds, but on something light and slightly slower they gave you handling like something out of Tron.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Does anyone do sticky T or U-rated tyres any more? I remember Bridgestone BT96 (might be BT94, I'm old) were the absolute poo poo on my RS125, they were IIRC designed for the Japanese 400s and were basically cut racing slicks that anything with more power would have torn to shreds, but on something light and slightly slower they gave you handling like something out of Tron.

They still make them, I had a pair on my VFR400 about 1 year ago.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

What sizes do you need? You can get some ridiculous road legal Goldspeed cut slicks in 17 inch, they're intended for supermoto, but they'd work for any lighter, slower bike too.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 15, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Fifty Three posted:

Do I get bonus points if the previous tires were the stock tires? From 2001? :v:

I've only ridden a Ninja250 with a poo poo chain and old squared off tires, and it was still fun as hell and taught me to ride. Reading what you said, half of me wants to fix it up and the other half wants to sell it and buy a Supermoto.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

nsaP posted:

I've only ridden a Ninja250 with a poo poo chain and old squared off tires, and it was still fun as hell and taught me to ride. Reading what you said, half of me wants to fix it up and the other half wants to sell it and buy a Supermoto.
This is (currently) my only bike and I'm so glad I did it. Now I'm browsing longingly at tools for a valve job in the spring...

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I recently put on Sport Daemons on my 2010 250 and it's been awesome. The squared off OEMs were god-awful.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ReelBigLizard posted:

What sizes do you need? You can get some ridiculous road legal Goldspeed cut slicks in 17 inch, they're intended for supermoto, but they'd work for any lighter, slower bike too.

I've got a fat, quick(ish) bike now, I just wondered if they were still exploiting the loophole. Thanks for the offer though, and I'd suggest the Ninjette club talk to this man right here.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Oh I'm going to do something very stupid with my 125 next service. Either buy a pair of these tires you're talking about, or find out what would you call it when you just sharpen the rims and put a light coating of rubber on them.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Ended up missing out on my ride last night thanks to one of our junior dev's. So I did this on my lunch today instead!

http://tinyurl.com/aa8dlbz

It was awesome, I didn't see a single car (well apart from a parked Police car) all the way along the B6451. It's crazy how much difference a dry road and a couple of degrees increase in temperature adds to the feedback from the bike and your confidence :)

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

Ended up missing out on my ride last night thanks to one of our junior dev's. So I did this on my lunch today instead!

http://tinyurl.com/aa8dlbz

It was awesome, I didn't see a single car (well apart from a parked Police car) all the way along the B6451. It's crazy how much difference a dry road and a couple of degrees increase in temperature adds to the feedback from the bike and your confidence :)

I'll need to see that neck of the woods next time I'm down that way, looks fun to ride in the Dales. Ooh, if you get a chance (obviously not at lunch) take the Kendal - Keswick road. I've done it myself and it is loving awesome. (Dodge Preston. It is a post-apocalyptic mess of one-ways and stoner biker gangs.)

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

You have an hour and a half long lunch break? How'd you score that?

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
If you're ever down this end give me a shout, I'd be happy to give you a tour. At least around the bits I know, I've only been riding for about 8 months :)

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

Shimrod posted:

I work in software development and it's a Friday :haw:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shimrod posted:

Man, you need to get a better job/boss. I took two of my staff on a two hour lunch break today because they're both interested in buying bikes and there's a couple of dealers in (extended) walking distance from the office. One of them's getting an NC700 though, I can't help but feel I've failed somehow :/

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Man, you need to get a better job/boss. I took two of my staff on a two hour lunch break today because they're both interested in buying bikes and there's a couple of dealers in (extended) walking distance from the office. One of them's getting an NC700 though, I can't help but feel I've failed somehow :/

I actually work for myself so I can take whatever breaks I want, all my friends with normal jobs get a max of 1 hour lunch break though so I was just curious.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

Shimrod posted:

I actually work for myself so I can take whatever breaks I want, all my friends with normal jobs get a max of 1 hour lunch break though so I was just curious.

I'm not the boss, just one of the more senior dev's. This place is pretty cool though, as long as the work gets done they're flexible about hours which is nice. Especially as child number two is due in May!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

Especially as child number two is due in May!
Congratulations and I'm sorry.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Safety Dance posted:

Congratulations and I'm sorry.

Congratudolences

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Hah cheers guys! Two can't be that much harder than one, right? Right!?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I honestly don't know. I'm childless, and plan to stay that way for a good while.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

It depends. Is your first child an "outdoor" child or do you let it in the house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I went ammunition shopping with co-workers after lunch the other day. Had to drop the purchases off at my house though, since we figured with our luck that would be the one day our car gets searched at the gate.