Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ComposerGuy posted:

I think the refit from TMP looks huge because they spend 10 goddamn minutes doing flybys of it at the start of the film.
And God bless them for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ComposerGuy posted:

I think the refit from TMP looks huge because they spend 10 goddamn minutes doing flybys of it at the start of the film.

And then of course later on when they're inside V'ger the thing is like an ant in someone's car or something.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Spaceman Future! posted:

The shot all of their warp cores into a black hole, all they need is some "future technology scavenged from the depths of who the gently caress cares blah" and boom, brand new ship gets a brand new engine room with shiny new generation warp cores because why the gently caress not. I would rather they stick with the whole industrial idea for it though, engine rooms in star trek have always been boring vestibules with a glowy tube in them, the engine room should be much more kinetic.

Edit: they should film it at the large Hadron Colider, because this:

Is some awesome poo poo.

This is a pretty good idea, I think. I'd like to see something that looks less like a concept drawing and more like something incomprehensibly technical. I mean the motor in an average lawnmower apparently has more parts and is more complicated than a warp drive.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The main problem with the brewery set is that the moment you realise it's a brewery you can't ever unsee it and suspension of disbelief goes out of the window. I'd actually be happy with the Kirk + Scotty danger sequence because it does actually make sense that the engineering section of a starship would be a central hub for all the plumbing, but for the fact that they're clearly in a brewery.

The brief shots of the Kelvin engineering (which I presume are also brewery) were fine. I can totally buy into the perception it gave me that the saucer section of a starship is all whiteness and pristine corridors and ipads, and the lower hull is a more open and utilitarian sprawl of machines that make ship work.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

ComposerGuy posted:

To be fair, Robert Wise mentions that this is done as part fanservice and part as an attempt to help make V'Ger appear much larger and intimidating when it shows up. After all, we get a good scale for the ship and then seeing that ship dwarfed brings us into the moment of feeling so helpless as the Enterprise is drawn deeper and deeper into its never-ending complexity.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

ComposerGuy posted:

While the audience cheered. I may have been one of them.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Okan170 posted:

To be fair, Robert Wise mentions that this is done as part fanservice and part as an attempt to help make V'Ger appear much larger and intimidating when it shows up. After all, we get a good scale for the ship and then seeing that ship dwarfed brings us into the moment of feeling so helpless as the Enterprise is drawn deeper and deeper into its never-ending complexity.

Oh I never said I didn't LIKE the sequence, just that I think the sequence is responsible for the feeling of "size".

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Okan170 posted:

I still find it amazing how talented Robert Wise is as a director. The guy could direct any genre.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

bobkatt013 posted:

I still find it amazing how talented Robert Wise is as a director. The guy could direct any genre.
The Hauting from 1963 is still, by far, my favorite horror movie of all time. I'm amazed every time I think that the same director directed TMP, and The Hauting.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mogomra posted:

The Hauting from 1963 is still, by far, my favorite horror movie of all time. I'm amazed every time I think that the same director directed TMP, and The Hauting.

Lets not forget West Side Story, Sound of Music, Day the Earth Stood Still, and The Andromeda Strain. The dude was a really good director.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

bobkatt013 posted:

I love a lot of what he did (I will straight up marry The Haunting), but TMP and The Andromeda Strain in particular have this gorgeous vastness to them. I love the idea of going so wide with split diopters and deep focus on fairly constrained sets.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It was supposed to be shiny, though. They had coated it in some pearlescent varnish which was apparently gorgeous beyond all belief but photographed horribly, so they emptied a few dozen cans of dullcote onto the model and welp

They likely had trouble with it reflecting the blue screen. This is why other movie spaceships tended to be bumpy and rough with lots of model ship parts glued onto the surface- it not only added detail but made photography easier.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

penismightier posted:

I love a lot of what he did (I will straight up marry The Haunting), but TMP and The Andromeda Strain in particular have this gorgeous vastness to them. I love the idea of going so wide with split diopters and deep focus on fairly constrained sets.
I have literally no idea about movie terminology, camera angles/lenses and the like, but if you feel like discussing some of what's going on in TMP (or STII, or JJTrek), I'd, like, read it.

DocHorror
Mar 4, 2007

I am the Master, you will obey me...

Cingulate posted:

I have literally no idea about movie terminology, camera angles/lenses and the like, but if you feel like discussing some of what's going on in TMP (or STII, or JJTrek), I'd, like, read it.

The tl:dr of it is that Wise used special cameras to have the guy in the foreground & the guy in the background in focus at the same time. On a lot of the bridge shots. This leads to a foreshortening & blurring of the space in between these characters.

Edit: typed shots as shits.

DocHorror fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 15, 2013

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Looks like this:

It's basically bifocals for the camera so they can keep things far apart in focus like this:

They still use them a lot but they're usually much better at hiding the change in focus, lots of digital painting and strong line breaks. This shot from All the President's Men uses the same technique but much more subtly:

Robert Wise went balls out in TMP so there are these moments were two people are in focus and some machines around them, and everything else is fuzzy. It's really unworldly, I love it.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DocHorror posted:

The tl:dr of it is that Wise used special cameras to have the guy in the foreground & the guy in the background in focus at the same time. On a lot of the bridge shots. This leads to a foreshortening & blurring of the space in between these characters.

Edit: typed shots as shits.
I can only sit here and nod with my "I totally understand every word you say" face I have prepared for when our math guy tries to explain his thesis to me.
Any movie experts, feel free to go into it, post some Star Trek movie screenshots and explain what's happening, cinematography wise, at least I find it fascinating.

e:f,b

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Maxwell Lord posted:

They likely had trouble with it reflecting the blue screen. This is why other movie spaceships tended to be bumpy and rough with lots of model ship parts glued onto the surface- it not only added detail but made photography easier.
TMP didn't use bluescreen for the shots of the Enterprise; it used frontlight/backlight, which in theory allows you to get cleaner mattes than bluescreen (and also a greater degree of shininess on the models), but in practice still required a lot of futzing with exposures to get sharp edges and and roto/blobbing to eliminate holes caused by spill light, and also took longer because it needed more motion control passes than bluescreen.

It wasn't until ILM took over for ST2 that they really went to town with the dulling spray, because their bluescreen setup couldn't cope with shiny surfaces at all. For ST3 they used yellow light on the model and filtered it out later in an attempt to deal with the blue spill problem, but the Enterprise still looked battleship grey rather than polished t(r)itanium.

FWIW, one of my favourite shots in TMP is the Enterprise closing on the V'ger cloud, and the whole ship is lit up by a gorgeous reflected cyan-on-metal glow, which would have been almost impossible to do with bluescreen.

DocHorror
Mar 4, 2007

I was wrong about the foreshortening. That's from the scene with V'Ger probe.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Borg cubes are not round spaceships :colbert:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

penismightier posted:

Looks like this:

It's basically bifocals for the camera so they can keep things far apart in focus like this:

They still use them a lot but they're usually much better at hiding the change in focus, lots of digital painting and strong line breaks. This shot from All the President's Men uses the same technique but much more subtly:

Robert Wise went balls out in TMP so there are these moments were two people are in focus and some machines around them, and everything else is fuzzy. It's really unworldly, I love it.

Wise did this a lot in The Andromeda Strain, the big one being in the guard detail that picks up one of the scientists. It's a cool effect and I always wanted to know how it was done. It does seem it's one of those things that can be easily done nowadays without getting the blurring halo effect. Also, it's not foreshortening, it's depth of field. :science:

I may have to rewatch TMP one of these days. I didn't even know Wise did that film until this thread.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Borg cubes are not round spaceships :colbert:

I'd argue that this monstrosity is pretty pointy too.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Pops Mgee posted:

I wonder why anyone would ever make a spaceship that looks like that. Every other mining vessel in all of Star Trek looks decidedly less sinister.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

I've always loved this effect. That shot in particular gives a good impression of why it works so well for something like Star Trek, which has officers issuing commands to crew members. You can have a closeup of Kirk in sharp focus and still have his crew member behind ready to take orders in equal focus. It's a very human-centric way to shoot science fiction.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Mogomra posted:

I wonder why anyone would ever make a spaceship that looks like that. Every other mining vessel in all of Star Trek looks decidedly less sinister.

They didn't, it "grew" that way after they retrofitted a normal looking ship with Borg technology.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Mogomra posted:

It looks like that because Romulans.

In all seriousness, I kind of like the idea that it looks so spiky and weird because it opens up like a flower to literally eat asteroids by cutting them up and using tractor beams to pull the valuable ore into the cargo bay. A stretch, certainly, but I personally like it better than "random-rear end miner somehow convinces Romulan scientists to retrofit his ship with borg technology."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

penismightier posted:

Looks like this:

This is the coolest poo poo ever. Where can I learn more about this stuff?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

This is the coolest poo poo ever. Where can I learn more about this stuff?
Hopefully, here! Surely you people wise in the way of cinematography have more stories about Star Trek stuff?

DocHorror
Mar 4, 2007

Cingulate posted:

Hopefully, here! Surely you people wise in the way of cinematography have more stories about Star Trek stuff?

Sadly TMP has arguably the best cinematography of all the TOS films. The rest look great but don't usually use any fantastic techniques. Theres interesting stuff about reusing sets but thats about it. If I'm wrong let me know as id love to be wrong. But I dont think I am.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is that including 2009's Star Trek?

DocHorror
Mar 4, 2007

Cingulate posted:

Is that including 2009's Star Trek?

Im a philistine. I find nothing to like about the way ST09 was shot. Theres some good performances but I dont find it particularly engaging.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Pops Mgee posted:

Wasn't going to bring it up because people keep calling trek09 a "star wars movie" anyway.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

DocHorror posted:

Im a philistine. I find nothing to like about the way ST09 was shot. Theres some good performances but I dont find it particularly engaging.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I love that scene. It's one of the better angles of the new ship.
I keep describing any Enterprise as a woman, and here, she's rising from a foam bath.

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 16, 2013

DocHorror
Mar 4, 2007

That didnt win me over as I don't like that Enterprise. Ill fully adnit to being petty & unreasonable here.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Cingulate posted:

In The Way of the Warrior, a feature-length episode of DS9, the writers wanted more ships than they could afford to do with existing motion capture techniques. Instead of compositing in ships from stock footage or reducing the scale of the battle sequences, the effects supervisor for the episode placed ships printed onto transparencies in the far background.

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 16, 2013

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

DocHorror posted:

That didnt win me over as I don't like that Enterprise. Ill fully adnit to being petty & unreasonable here.

I think that Enterprise is needlessly complicated too, but come on, they shot the hell out of that film.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Payndz posted:

It wasn't until ILM took over for ST2 that they really went to town with the dulling spray, because their bluescreen setup couldn't cope with shiny surfaces at all. For ST3 they used yellow light on the model and filtered it out later in an attempt to deal with the blue spill problem, but the Enterprise still looked battleship grey rather than polished t(r)itanium.

It will always amaze me that a key element behind the decision to blow up the Enterprise in ST3 is because the ILM crew hated working with the giant eight-foot model that Magicam built for The Motion Picture. (And Ken Ralston felt that Probert's refit design was ugly. How anyone can think that ... I don't know.)

DocHorror
Mar 4, 2007

penismightier posted:

I think that Enterprise is needlessly complicated too, but come on, they shot the hell out of that film.

I disagree. Okay it looked nice. But with modern special effects I'd expect nothing less. I just feel that they dont make films like they used to & that it too easy to be hyper kinetic rather than restrained.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

DocHorror posted:

I disagree. Okay it looked nice. But with modern special effects I'd expect nothing less. I just feel that they dont make films like they used to & that it too easy to be hyper kinetic rather than restrained.

Modern special effects have very little to do with the incredible framing and lighting in that film. Those shots of ships upside down and ships at long long distances do more to show the vastness and weirdness of space than just about anything else in the series since Wise took a crack at it.

Modern special effects with no artistry gives you First Contact. Beautiful, evocative, and thematically consistent framing gives you Star Trek 2009.

Who gives a poo poo if they make films like they used to? They shouldn't. Every era's films should look different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I know this might not be much more than a "Lens Flare!" joke, but ... from just the thumbnail, could you even tell this was not from JJTrek, but from TMP?

• Locked thread