Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My MiscMods EU3 game is pretty hosed. Finally modernised as Jerusalem so now I have -3 stability, which is not rising because <random event> keeps reducing it and <random event> keeps killing off my artists. So I can't get to the required stability to enact Military Modernisation to stop the random events. Because I'm overextended from invading all the Arab kingdoms (which don't core for 50 years) my stability cost is +50%. Rebels pop up everywhere and pretty much all I'm doing is stomping them out. Man this game gets tedious sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

NihilCredo posted:

Irrelevant court kids are actually a resource since you can get them educated by some other lord for a quick relations boost.

Ditto for unmarried courtiers and snagging skilled lowborn characters, although it's not nearly as easy as it used to be.

I'm pretty sure that kids have to be close relatives for you to get a relationship boost by entrusting their education. But yeah when you have like 5 or 7 kids it's a good idea to send everyone after the third or fourth to be educated by high-ranking vassals whose relationships are low/on the fence for a (+10 I think) boost.

Other than your own kids, and maybe kids brothers or anyone else you care about, it's a good idea to personally take over the education of the heirs of your vassals; it's likely they'll accept, and then you'll get to choose your future vassals' traits, and I'd say it's essential in multicultural empires to help turn the holders of vassalised fiefdoms to your own culture (sparing you the -10 foreigner relations penalty).

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Gorgo Primus posted:

Maybe a few of them are dissing it without playing it, but that is because they take those who have at their word when they give detailed accounts of how Sengoku is not a real game. It is missing so many features and is so lacking in effort that it is closer to a tech demo for CK2 than an actual game.

And before you say it is just based on war and that is why this seems to be the case, I will add that walking over a province to instantly annex it and having a complete lack of workable alliances means that it is about as much a "War Game" as Risk is an "Empire Management Game".

What? You can't walk over a province to instantly annex it, it has to be sieged. I'm not sure how controlling the province equaling ownership makes it not a wargame either, if anything it makes it a more pure wargame since there's no limitations imposed by peace treaties, you just keep what you conquer.

Yes, it has less features than our other games, but it was also sold for less, the whole point was it is a simpler game.

Honestly, I don't like Sengoku much either, but those are weird criticisms.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Viscardus posted:

For anyone who's interested, I have restarted Sicily LP. This time I will be vigilant against Wiz's dastardly acts of sabotage.

This is great news.

Also: New EU4 dev diary: Venice/Genoa. Sounds like Venice especially will be rich as gently caress thanks to its early government and NI bonuses stacking together. Venice seems like a good poster boy for some of the new game mechanics such as mercenaries, the new trade system, and republican tradition so they'll probably be one of my first choices.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Vegetable posted:

My MiscMods EU3 game is pretty hosed. Finally modernised as Jerusalem so now I have -3 stability, which is not rising because <random event> keeps reducing it and <random event> keeps killing off my artists. So I can't get to the required stability to enact Military Modernisation to stop the random events. Because I'm overextended from invading all the Arab kingdoms (which don't core for 50 years) my stability cost is +50%. Rebels pop up everywhere and pretty much all I'm doing is stomping them out. Man this game gets tedious sometimes.

Sounds like you're not resisting the western influences. If it works like it does in vanilla EU3, you'll keep getting events that kill your advisors, decentralize your government and drop your stability until you either modernize your military or chose the option to "resist western influences." Choosing the option to resist will give you a 10 year modifier that prevents any more of those events, prohibits you from modernizing your military and gives you a small bonus to revolt risk. Just keep resisting every ten years until you've got all the requirements to modernize then do it the instant the "resisting western influences" modifier expires.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Nightblade posted:

Sounds like you're not resisting the western influences. If it works like it does in vanilla EU3, you'll keep getting events that kill your advisors, decentralize your government and drop your stability until you either modernize your military or chose the option to "resist western influences." Choosing the option to resist will give you a 10 year modifier that prevents any more of those events, prohibits you from modernizing your military and gives you a small bonus to revolt risk. Just keep resisting every ten years until you've got all the requirements to modernize then do it the instant the "resisting western influences" modifier expires.
Okay wow I thought resisting western influence kills the military modernisation decision forever. This is exactly what I need, thanks man!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

RabidWeasel posted:

This is great news.

Also: New EU4 dev diary: Venice/Genoa. Sounds like Venice especially will be rich as gently caress thanks to its early government and NI bonuses stacking together. Venice seems like a good poster boy for some of the new game mechanics such as mercenaries, the new trade system, and republican tradition so they'll probably be one of my first choices.

quote:

When Venice has unlocked its national ideas, they get a +50% power bonus to their galleys.

A mid to late game bonus to galleys?! Sounds... useful. :raise:

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

RabidWeasel posted:

This is great news.

I'm happy to hear about streamlining of annexation, which was one of those obscured and pointless busyworks that EU could really have less of. There might've been a more interesting way of dealing with the issue (the choice feels too easy for such a huge thing as annexation of another country), but at least it won't be an annoyance.

Has there been any info about PUs and inheritance in EU4?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Sending people an email titled "Victoria 2 Heart of Darkness Beta" only to tell them they were NOT chosen is mean! The content of the email is fine, it explains their process and what they're looking for, I only have an issue with the title.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Fintilgin posted:

In EU3 didn't galleys have a massive bonus for ship battles in the Mediterranean?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Fintilgin posted:

If it's like EU3, galleys are a ship class, not a tech level; it means small light ships for less-than-oceanic (I'm sure there's a better term) navigation. Given Venice's theme it's quite possible that in EU4 they will be the most efficient way to maintain sea routes, like in EU3 you'd build a ton of light ships for tariff purposes.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Assuming that any non-transport ship is as good at steering trade than another, galleys will still have their use as the cheapest ships and hopefully won't get totally outclassed even in inland seas as easily as they were in EU3. It might also no longer be as viable to keep a massive navy of big ships due to increased costs and needing money for other stuff. I'm really hoping these kinds of underlying issues are a big priority for EU4 as one of EU3's biggest problems was easily getting enough cash that you didn't need to compromise on anything.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Hopefully they will make light ships more useful in Archipelagos , since galleys and other light ships played a quite important role in the Baltic sea even in the 18th century.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

NewtGoongrich posted:

In EU3 didn't galleys have a massive bonus for ship battles in the Mediterranean?
Even so, by the midgame they were simply outclassed by big/light ships. In my experience anyway.

NihilCredo posted:

If it's like EU3, galleys are a ship class, not a tech level; it means small light ships for less-than-oceanic (I'm sure there's a better term) navigation.

He knows that, he means that by those tech levels they are useless.

I suppose that if nothing else, the 50% boost will *make* them useful if they aren't.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

podcat posted:

you applied for the beta right? :D

Yes I did. Finding weird stuff in Paradox games is tons of fun.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
On the subject of making Victoria 2 more character-driven, if anything, the shortened time period - where, feasibly, most of the characters are alive for most of the duration, makes it as good a test bed as anything for the next in the series when that time comes again.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I've been naming colonies and such after prominent figures in my EU3+ Tuscany game: badass generals, high-stat rulers, significant explorers, etc. It'd be nice if those figures were more prominent than a randomly generated name that I have to make a point not to forget when their death event pops up. The impetus shouldn't be on the player to write these things down for future use.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

podcat posted:

Not to hate, but it seems to me that many of you guys are dissing Sengoku without actually playing it. Its not as deep as our other games but a few playthroughs are fun if you like war. I don't think it deserves the reputation it has on these forums.

This is all from somewhat fragmentary memories about the game when it first came out, so I dunno if patches fixed things or my memory wasn't quite clear. But I remember the big thing was that everything was very SAMEY. Like, literally every province in the world is EXACTLY the same at game start, and if you're playing optimally almost all your provinces KEEP looking identical. All the characters had very little to differentiate between them, with only a handful of stats and traits. They also looked much the same, and had names that were kinda tricky to remember (last bit not really the game's fault, of course). Clans, too, seemed basically identical - the only real difference between any clan was how big it was and whether it was currently in a position to be toppled into civil war if the right people died. War, too, from what I recalled, was mainly about shoving as many troops as you could at the enemy and hoping you had the bigger stack.

So to sum up, everything was pretty much the same, the main and practically only thing that mattered to any clan was how big it was, and if you didn't bust your hump playing optimally early on, you ended up either getting absorbed by a bigger clan or losing the game because a clan at the rear end end of Japan grew too hugeous for you to even think about opposing before the game ended. It literally felt like a game where there really was only one way to play it properly, and if you didn't play it that way, you lost.

Also, I'm reasonably certain that the SA thread consensus didn't influence my thoughts any - seem to recall I didn't check the thread much then, but that could just be a quirk of memory.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Does anyone else get hung up on Paradox's registration screen? No matter how many times I refresh, the page erases my password and then loads indefinitely, never completing my registration. I just want to look at the mods. :negative:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

JGBeagle posted:

Does anyone else get hung up on Paradox's registration screen? No matter how many times I refresh, the page erases my password and then loads indefinitely, never completing my registration. I just want to look at the mods. :negative:
Is that an issue you've got with just the registration of one game, or have you got multiple games you've been trying to register and they're all screwing up? What internet browser are you using?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

JGBeagle posted:

I got that too. Cancelling the page loading and hitting the Register button again worked somehow. In case Pdox staff's reading, my browser was Opera.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Communist Republic of Italy is the strongest great power in my current victoria 2 game.

I think something broke somewhere. Communist Hungary keeps popping into 8th place aswell.

I am scared.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
This may too specific, but does anybody know how to avoid the coup by the National-Radicals when you form the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth in Kaiserreich?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Farecoal posted:

This may too specific, but does anybody know how to avoid the coup by the National-Radicals when you form the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth in Kaiserreich?

You could look up the event files and see what options there are. It's up to you just how cheat-y that would be, though.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Oh, come on, V2, that's Steppe Wolfe poo poo!

(Speaking of Steppe Wolfe, I will update my thread tomorrow, sorry for the delay, guys)

EDIT: This is from the same China game as before. I'm up to 1913 and China's #1 in the world! But I can't get any reforms passed whatsoever so I'm the most reactionary GP too. It's me, I am the evil reactionary.

EDIT: The US just declared the "War of Colombian Freedom" to force Gran Colombia to return its stuff to regular Colombia.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 17, 2013

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Patter Song posted:

EDIT: This is from the same China game as before. I'm up to 1913 and China's #1 in the world! But I can't get any reforms passed whatsoever so I'm the most reactionary GP too. It's me, I am the evil reactionary.

I always end up making my country the most reactionary no matter what Paradox game I'm playing. I wonder what that means

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Farecoal posted:

I always end up making my country the most reactionary no matter what Paradox game I'm playing. I wonder what that means

It means you are literally Hitler :colbert:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Playing a lot of Victoria 2 AHD. Played as Brazil to get a good handle on the UI, then the US for maximum :911:. Ran into a slight problem though, The UK has sphered Mexico, and any allies I sign with will refuse to join me. Ive started playing influence games, but the limey fucks ban my embassy everytime they get enough influence to. Are there any technologies to give my influence a boost, or am I going to have to wait till a great war breaks out so I can get all those cores without 158 divisions swamping me?

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
There are culture techs that improve your rate of influence gain.

you may also be able to distract the AI by putting tiny bits of influence into other nations in the British sphere, to provoke them into outspending there to kick you out.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I had a V2 game where every Irishman in Ireland died. In the same game, 99% of all South Germans in Austria also died. I noticed this because both states were majority Polish on the nationality mapmode. Vienna was populated by 2k Germans, while Dublin had a mere 200 Poles living there. I think PDM did its huge rebel stacks, where every man, woman and child in Ireland/Austria rose up against their British/Italian masters in one final stand. Then they were all crushed and the provinces became completely empty.

I don't care if that's a bug, that's awesome. Especially because, unlike EUIII, rebels don't come from nowhere.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Dublin being primarily Polish sounds pretty accurate actually.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
How do I influence nations as a GP? I can't find a button or tab for it anywhere.

E: Er, in Victoria II, I mean.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Average Bear posted:

I had a V2 game where every Irishman in Ireland died. In the same game, 99% of all South Germans in Austria also died. I noticed this because both states were majority Polish on the nationality mapmode. Vienna was populated by 2k Germans, while Dublin had a mere 200 Poles living there. I think PDM did its huge rebel stacks, where every man, woman and child in Ireland/Austria rose up against their British/Italian masters in one final stand. Then they were all crushed and the provinces became completely empty.

I don't care if that's a bug, that's awesome. Especially because, unlike EUIII, rebels don't come from nowhere.

Were you playing APD?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Mister Bates posted:

How do I influence nations as a GP? I can't find a button or tab for it anywhere.

E: Er, in Victoria II, I mean.

In the Diplomacy screen, there's an option to sort nations by 'prio.' Short for priority, click on the bar and it'll prioritize influencing that nation.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Alchenar posted:

Honestly, reinstalling EU3 with Chronicles and playing about with it for a bit just reminded me how empty the game feels. There isn't really anything to do except spread your colour over the map. Everything you do between wars is really just twiddling your thumbs and building an army for the next war. The contrast with CK2 where there's always something interesting going on is vast.

I'm liking the comeback of dynamic narrative forming in EU.

Update on this old post - marketing scheme worked; I've noticed since sighing and uninstalling EU3 again that I've been paying a lot more attention to the EU4 dev diaries and previews than I did before. CK2 made me break my 'never buy a new game at full price' rule (which ironically started with HOI3), I recon EU4 will probably get me to break it again.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

Were you playing APD?

Yep.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

are their any good early reviews of march of the eagles yet? I'm trying to decide if I want to preorder it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Zip posted:

are their any good early reviews of march of the eagles yet? I'm trying to decide if I want to preorder it.

You don't want to preorder it.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

APD has a bug that does that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

uPen posted:

You don't want to preorder it.

why? you think it's bad? Preorder it now you get 10 percent off and sengoku.

• Locked thread