Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Snowy posted:

Not only that, but I get unreasonably angry about almost every fake movie poster I see. Especially when it's for sale. Make some original artwork, people. :wtc:

Minimalist posters seem to be pretty much made by people who fancy themselves as 'creative' but lacking in the technical skill required to actually create any artwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

"Why are we out here Mulder?
"Don't you see Scully? This is proof of an extra terrestrial fried egg!

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

They also look like they're wearing capes.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

WebDog posted:

"Why are we out here Mulder?
"Don't you see Scully? This is proof of an extra terrestrial fried egg!

Superman and Red Riding Hood find a skull, oblivious to the UFO above them.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Run Dodo Run posted:

I've never seen that Alvin and the Chipmunks 2 poster before. I thought I was just seeing things because of the small size.

Nope. I'm assuming they didn't run this in the UK, then.

Does it say spaz on it somewhere? What am I not getting?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wendell posted:

Simon is making an obscene gesture.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
here I made a fun minimalist poster for all you fans out there

ok I didn't actually make it

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Xenophon posted:

Could you do that in vectors and add a crumbled paper texture?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Wendell posted:

What Simon is doing is the equivalent of the middle finger in England.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Xenophon posted:

What movie is that even for?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ClydeUmney posted:

What movie is that even for?

It's a joke about the Blade Runner posters earlier. "Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion..."

\/\/\/ I totally forgot about the star's name. It could work either way :colbert:

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 16, 2013

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

Young Freud posted:

It's a joke about the Blade Runner posters earlier. "Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion..."

Might want to try again.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Some giant posters for Jack the Giant Slayer, so that you can see all the tiny details.

FEE

FYE

FOE

FUMM (Is that Terrence Howard?)

Uhh...FALLON? As in Jimmy Fallon?

They somehow made characters more ugly and off-putting than Mars Needs Moms and stuck them on the posters.

bowser fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 16, 2013

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

bowser posted:

They somehow made characters more ugly and off-putting than Mars Needs Moms and stuck them on the posters.
At least these guys are SUPPOSED to be ugly.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Every time I see a poster or trailer for that film that has one of the giants in it, I am repulsed. Note to Brian Singer: that is not a good thing. I know that's what they're going for, but making people disgusted is not an effective strategy to get people into your film.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Man, I can't wait to see those veins and pimples and oily pores pop right out of the screen at me in 3D!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Hm. Hmmmm. No, the Mars Needs Moms poster is still more repulsive.

Note that LOTROBBIT has big ugly monsters the heros beat up too, but they didn't put Goblin King's neckwaddle front and center on their poster.
I honestly don't feel too negative about this but not positive either. Your movie has big ugly giants. Ok. Lots of movies have big ugly monsters.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well that's just it. At best it recalls John Carter where someone with a soul was put in charge of marketing, and at worst it casts a vote of no confidence behind the marketers in the human aspect of the movie.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Xenophon posted:

I took this fantastic idea and made a timeless art out of it.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I was hoping someone would do that. Well done!

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

Noxville posted:

I took this fantastic idea and made a timeless art out of it.

This is the best Blade Runner poster I've ever seen. :ghost:

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Goose Halo posted:

This is the best Blade Runner poster I've ever seen. :ghost:

You just made that 3 glasses Beetlejuice poster less obtuse and more reasonable.

thet0wer
Dec 4, 2012
There's no sense of scale in those posters. If they were completely textless, no title or "cute" tagline, you might think that they're just a bunch of ugly guys, and not necessarily giants.

Also

I'm tempted to say this was intentional.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'd watch a movie about Jimmy Fallon slaying giants v:shobon:v

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Maybe those posters want us to see the ugly faces stabbed by seeing the movie. I agree, a better poster would've had a sense of scale, like David vs goliath. But breaking up characters into a series of posters with text on them like that is either some dumbtrend or a bad artist keeps getting work.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'd watch a movie about Jimmy Fallon slaying giants v:shobon:v

Unfortunately, Fallon is not Jimmy Fallon. According to IMDB, it's General Fallon and 'General Fallon's small head', played by Bill Nighy and John Kassir respectively.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bowser posted:

Unfortunately, Fallon is not Jimmy Fallon.

No I think that's a positive in a movie.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

What is this?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

effectual posted:

Maybe those posters want us to see the ugly faces stabbed by seeing the movie. I agree, a better poster would've had a sense of scale, like David vs goliath. But breaking up characters into a series of posters with text on them like that is either some dumbtrend or a bad artist keeps getting work.

These posters don't make sense to me because usually the headshot style posters are best used to communicate, "Hey, [CELEBRITY] and/or [FAMOUS CHARACTER] is in this movie!" Whereas I have no point of reference for these grotesques.

It reminds me of those posters for Green Lantern with the weird CG aliens in generic poses with their character names on top, like I was supposed to know who they were and get excited.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It reminds me of those posters for Green Lantern with the weird CG aliens in generic poses with their character names on top, like I was supposed to know who they were and get excited.

That was targeted at young boys who love that sort-of thing. Either that or the WB honestly thought that the trick to marketing a superhero flick that wasn't Batman or Superman was to treat it like it was Batman or Superman.

tliil
Jan 13, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well if you're a Green Lantern fan you know who F'norkle is.

Unfortunately there's not enough Green Lantern fans to turn a profit on a big-budget movie like that. So they should've cut out all the stupid alien poo poo and made it a movie about one dude. It seemed to work well for every other superhero who didn't need an entire cast of friends to carry the movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mind the walrus posted:

That was targeted at young boys who love that sort-of thing.

The cool thing about Green Lantern is that literally nobody cares about Green Lantern except for Geoff Johns.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

bowser posted:

Unfortunately, Fallon is not Jimmy Fallon. According to IMDB, it's General Fallon and 'General Fallon's small head', played by Bill Nighy and John Kassir respectively.

I do love me some Bill Nighy.

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry
Those Jack the Giant Slayer posters make me slightly physically ill. I've never reacted like that before. Maybe it was the combination of the multiple high-res scans with all the disgusting little details. Either way...these posters are so bad I refuse to watch the movie.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dopefish Lives! posted:

Those Jack the Giant Slayer posters make me slightly physically ill. I've never reacted like that before. Maybe it was the combination of the multiple high-res scans with all the disgusting little details. Either way...these posters are so bad I refuse to watch the movie.

Good to see you're keeping an open mind though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The cool thing about Green Lantern is that literally nobody cares about Green Lantern except for Geoff Johns.

Yeah, Green Lantern! Sure, why not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRrCIvw8DRQ

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Eh, I really didn't like the cliche-ridden (even for a fairy tale adaptation) trailer either. So I think two strikes on the marketing is enough to quash any interest I might have had. If it turns out that it's a masterpiece or something, then maybe I'll check it out, but right now, no thanks.

tliil
Jan 13, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Well to be fair you can't judge every CGI pile of poo poo aimed at children and slow adults by its posters. Only most of them!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

That is beyond the nail on the head. There's a difference between casually introducing all of these outlandish concepts (the Marvel stuff, for all it's faults, has resurrected all of these characters nobody gives a flying gently caress about) and pretending you already care. The flippant attitude about it just makes it funnier, like you're uncool for not knowing who the Green Lantern's lameass villains are. Oh, you never heard of Hector Hammond? I bet you've gotten laid before too, chump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The worst thing about those Jack and The Giant Slayer posters is that they spelled 'fi' wrong. :arghfist:

(And 'fo'. And 'fum'.)