Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'm up to chapter 3 in the first game, does the combat start being anything other than an absolute abomination? Dodging does nothing, you can't block, enemies recover from being hit faster than you recover from hitting them, every single encounter is loving torture. Even on the lowest difficulty (well, casual from ECR, which I think is lower than the base games casual) enemies just swarm you, pin you in the corner and stomp on your face.

The encounter design is horrendous too. Lets start a boss fight by setting you on fire with an automatic stun. Lets make you enter a room and be pinned against a desk. Lets fight in such a small space that you can't even draw your loving sword before getting attacked. And lets take away your ability to do a mostly-useless dodge until you get your sword out.

There's a fight in Chapter 3 of Assassin's of Kings which starts with a crossbow bolt in flight, aimed at the back of your head. You need to dodge BEFORE the cutscene ends. Somehow that's still less bullshit than this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If you're sick of 1's combat and just want to see the rest of the story, the best thing to do is just devote talents into maxing out Igni and endurance, and run around spamming fire everywhere.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The hell? Dodging is incredibly useful, and stunlocking people is really easy. Are you actually getting off combos, or just madly clicking? And do you have points in the appropriate weapon skill? Fighting fast enemies with strong style is going to be terrible, yes. Alternatively, put all your points into Igni and just burn everything without a problem.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

The hell? Dodging is incredibly useful, and stunlocking people is really easy. Are you actually getting off combos, or just madly clicking? And do you have points in the appropriate weapon skill? Fighting fast enemies with strong style is going to be terrible, yes. Alternatively, put all your points into Igni and just burn everything without a problem.

Yes I'm getting the combos. Which requires me to stand still for ages while Geralt finishes his overly long attack animation, so I get hit by both the guy I'm attacking and his friends. I've pumped group style which helps keep people scared, but half the time they just walk through my swings and surround me.

I've yet to actually dodge an attack. It's like fatrolling in Dark Souls, enemies pivot faster than you dodge. If you dodge towards someone Geralt does a backflip over them, and they then stab him in the back. That's the opposite of dodging.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yes I'm getting the combos. Which requires me to stand still for ages while Geralt finishes his overly long attack animation, so I get hit by both the guy I'm attacking and his friends. I've pumped group style which helps keep people scared, but half the time they just walk through my swings and surround me.

I've yet to actually dodge an attack. It's like fatrolling in Dark Souls, enemies pivot faster than you dodge. If you dodge towards someone Geralt does a backflip over them, and they then stab him in the back. That's the opposite of dodging.

Dont doge in the first game its useless just tank hits and work on getting enemies down as fast as you can. Still I dont know why you are so frustrated with the combat I mean its bad but because its boring as hell not because its difficult. Use potions is my advice they trivialize an already easy game and some of them are pretty awesome and blade oil as well.

Edit:and as was said above you are at a point in the game where if you just pour everythign into igni you can just spam that and win every fight.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I think the problem might be using the FCR mod on your first playthrough. It really seems like something that's designed more for people who have already played the game than newcomers. This isn't the first time I've seen someone complain about how frustrating the combat is having only played it with FCR.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Another dev video, this time talking about what lessons they've learnt from other open world games like Skyrim and FNV, and how those'll impact Witcher 3.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Well, the dreamy guy pretty much hit the nail on the head when it came to Skyrim and their criticisms of FNV and AC3 suggest that they really do understand both what makes W2 such a great game and what it's going to take to port that experience into a true open-world game.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Hannibal Smith posted:

I think the problem might be using the FCR mod on your first playthrough. It really seems like something that's designed more for people who have already played the game than newcomers. This isn't the first time I've seen someone complain about how frustrating the combat is having only played it with FCR.

Well I found the normal combat pretty painful to begin with, which is why I installed FCR in the hope it changed things to make some kind of sense. When it made things even worse I slammed it down to casual mode. Stuck with FCR though as it claims to reduce the number of monsters.

The main problem is that there is absolutely no rhythm to the combat. The combo system encourages you to stand in place, letting the enemies surround you and completely ignoring any pattern they have to their attacks. What patterns they do have don't seem to make any sense, I've had solo-enemies damage me in the middle of my combo without making any attack movements. They'll be flinching back from my hit and OH WHOOPS I'm stunned/in pain. Gets even worse when you have mages randomly setting you on fire (undodgable and unblockable of course) and then summoning Ifrits so you need to spend precious time switching weapons.

Plot's pretty good though.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
So why does the EE on steam want to run first time setup every single time I launch the game, then hang on installing .net4 redst? I've verified my game cache and it used to be that I could just hit no on the UAC prompt and it'd launch the launcher, but for some reason now it won't even allow me to do that.

Digging around leads me to believe that I have to gently caress around with the registry to get this fixed, but feedback says that doesn't even work sometimes. Alternatively I could delete the /redist folder, but that did dick squat too. Now I'm trying to manually install the contents of the /redist folder.

What the gently caress Witcher 2? Why are you so hilariously broken now after 12 hours of playtime?

My apologies if this has been addressed before, I only skimmed the first 8 pages of the thread. :shobon:

Edit: Issue sorta solved, I completely reinstalled the game then waited twenty minutes for first time setup to completely redo.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 16, 2013

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Combat stuff

*edit - disregard, talking about the first game.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
For some unknown reson, my game decided that my carry weight limit is now 0, so i'm permanently overencumbered. Loading older saves or changing the carry limit in geralt_basic.xml doesn't helps. Anyone here knows of a way to fix that?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

MC Hawking posted:

So why does the EE on steam want to run first time setup every single time I launch the game, then hang on installing .net4 redst? I've verified my game cache and it used to be that I could just hit no on the UAC prompt and it'd launch the launcher, but for some reason now it won't even allow me to do that.

Digging around leads me to believe that I have to gently caress around with the registry to get this fixed, but feedback says that doesn't even work sometimes. Alternatively I could delete the /redist folder, but that did dick squat too. Now I'm trying to manually install the contents of the /redist folder.

What the gently caress Witcher 2? Why are you so hilariously broken now after 12 hours of playtime?

My apologies if this has been addressed before, I only skimmed the first 8 pages of the thread. :shobon:

Edit: Issue sorta solved, I completely reinstalled the game then waited twenty minutes for first time setup to completely redo.

This is apparently an issue with 64-bit .net. Just go into the Witcher 2 folder under common in your steamapps folder and delete the redist files.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

isk posted:

*edit - disregard, talking about the first game.

I'm imaging a giant expletive filled rant about my stupidity here. "What do you mean you can't dodge? Level it up then you bell-end!" and I can't stop giggling.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

RottenK posted:

For some unknown reson, my game decided that my carry weight limit is now 0, so i'm permanently overencumbered. Loading older saves or changing the carry limit in geralt_basic.xml doesn't helps. Anyone here knows of a way to fix that?

Install one of the unlimited carry mods and one of them should work.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Thanks, game's playable again.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

PureRok posted:

This is apparently an issue with 64-bit .net. Just go into the Witcher 2 folder under common in your steamapps folder and delete the redist files.

I tried that and it didn't fix anything. Game still tries to run first time setup no matter what.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Huh. That always fixes the first time setup problems for me. Weird.

VaLiancY
Dec 25, 2007
Late Registration
Well I hosed up something somewhere and deleted a fair chunk of my progress and wanted to know if anyone wanted to upload a save file at the start of Chapter 3 on Iorveth side.

Edit - gently caress it, I found my save file which was lost in some weird order with my 300 other save files.

VaLiancY fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 18, 2013

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

PureRok posted:

Huh. That always fixes the first time setup problems for me. Weird.
Doesn't completely take it away for me either, but it speeds up the process at least. Just have to click yes on the prompt and it pops up the installer window for a second before the game's launcher appears, rather than it taking a minute or two as it actually installs everything.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I've been playing this a bit as part of the backlog gaming thing, and while i'm not very far (just left Flotsam) it's been really enjoyable. However, I did run into a couple of pretty great bugs.

At the end of the Flotsam quests, siding with Roche, I had to infiltrate Loredo's house and kill him. However, while doing this you have to go past a floor full of guards who are asleep.

I went up to the top floor, where the door was locked. I went down to the floor with the guards to get the key, and managed to knock over pretty much everything in the room before grabbing the key. Needless to say, all the guards got up and starting walking around saying "What was that?!" and junk. Thing is, none of them would interact with me, so I was just walking past this mass of guards, literally pushing against them to get past the narrow doorway and so on, and they did nothing at all to stop me. It was pretty amazing.

There was also a time when I destroyed a wall with Aard (? I don't know the signs) and then it just wouldn't let me through it. I stood there running against it for a while until I looked it up online and found out it was for a later area.

I can't help but feel like I missed bits out from the first zone, just before I was leaving I noticed a whole area in the south east that may or may not have been accessible. I was a bit burnt out on the zone by then though, so I just finished up my main quest and left.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Thievery posted:

There was also a time when I destroyed a wall with Aard (? I don't know the signs) and then it just wouldn't let me through it. I stood there running against it for a while until I looked it up online and found out it was for a later area.
Yeah, I think I know the spot you're talking about in Act 1. The wall around the side of the Elven ruins, right? It just seemed wildly inconsistent with the environment to not be able to pass through so after a few minutes of trying I just gave up and moved on.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Thievery posted:

I can't help but feel like I missed bits out from the first zone, just before I was leaving I noticed a whole area in the south east that may or may not have been accessible. I was a bit burnt out on the zone by then though, so I just finished up my main quest and left.
There's not much there. It's the hideout for Dmitri's (the dude that killed the lady troll) gang. There's a bit of loot there that you can get if you looted the key from his body, but nothing you'd really miss. Oh, and lots of drowners.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Finished the game after putting it off for so long I completely forgot the events of the first game and had to read and watch videos on YouTube to even remind myself what choices I made.

Anyway, this game's ending made me realize just how true is the saying "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". I love what they did with the choices and their impact even though I was kinda bummed, bit depressed even when I was actually playing the game because it's not like most of other games in that there is a straight relation between the moral relativity of your choices and the results - do good things and everything ends well. I do hate those games but at the same time you get this warm feeling, you know? In Witcher 2 it was mostly my heart sinking lower and lower. Like in the end when the witch hunt ensues :smith:

Take Stannis, for example. When I found out (Stannis choice spoilers) he was involved in the poisoning of Saskia I'd rather let the people him lynch him because that's my first, mindless choice. Then I read a post by some guy who was summarizing the choices in the game and their impact on the stability and integritiy of the Northern Kingdoms and he said that the part he's ruling would basically collapse were he to die, leaving it more vulnerable to the invasion. My decision was sealed by Geralt saying that you can't just people lynch whoever they want unless you want to live in chaos where a guy will kill other guy just because he thought it was justified.

I think I compromised my imagined Geralt's moral integrity when I let (ending spoiler) ----Sile---- die, but I just couldn't let her go on living after what she just done and said. It was really easy to just stand idly and tell yourself it's not really your fault, but absence of action is not absence of decision, or something like that.

It is also probably the first game I felt the compulsion to play again in a different way right after finishing my first run. I'm probably not going to anyway, at least not until I play the third installment with my current set of choices and seeing what horrible mess I've caused.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 19, 2013

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
The thing is, the events of the first game have very little bearing on the events in the second: it's basically some dialogue changes, plus a few minor encounters in chapter 3. Presumably it will be the same in the third game even if you import saves.

In fact, I recently bought Witcher 1 on Steam since it was on sale and replayed for the first time in a long while. Then I imported the save into Witcher 2 and started a new playthrough, with parallel saves on Roche's and Iorveth's path. When you play the games back to back and the two beginnings of chapter 2 side by side there are several plot holes and discrepancies that become blatantly obvious.

- Consider the mutants created by Azar Javed in the first game that were used as shock troops by the Order. They are not mentioned at all in the second, even though the Chapter 3 sidequest The Secrets of Loc Muinne involves an agent of Nilfgaard attempting to retrieve samples of a plague for potential use as a biological weapon. You'd think they would be interested in using the mutants as shock troops, possibly even retrieving the "witchers' secrets" that Azar Javed stole in the first game.

- During the castle assualt in the prologue of AoK, Geralt seems to act as a simple hired blade for Foltest, and several characters comment on how un-witcherlike this is. If they had changed the dialogue a little and made it so that Geralt went along with it because he was told there was a lead on the witcher assassins inside the castle, it would have seemed more reasonable for him to be present.

- On Iorveth's path, Loredo survives to sell Flotsam to Kaedwen if Geralt chooses to save the elf women. There doesn't seem to be a real reason as to why the Blue Stripes wouldn't go ahead and assault the compound even if Geralt abandoned them for Iorveth.

- Chapter 2 opening: In the Roche path Henselt parlays with Saskia and duels her. Stennis is present but says nothing and is unavoidably killed in the mist. Dethmold creates a shield spell and the group has to walk out through the mist fighting wraiths along the way. In the Iorveth path, Stennis parlays with Henselt, fights him and Philippa shows up in her owl form and casts a shield spell. Dethmold opens a portal enabling himself, Henselt and Sile to get out of the mist immediately. Given that none of Geralt's actions could possibly have influenced the flow of these events, there is no good explanation for the discrepancy.

- When you need royal blood as a quest item, there is no explanation as to why you can't just restrain Stennis and extract a bit of red from him rather than having him killed or getting it from Henselt.

- Incidentally, the fact that Zoltan and Dandelion accompanies Geralt to Vergen on Iorveth's path seems to imply that this path is canon.

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 19, 2013

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Kopijeger posted:

- During the castle assualt in the prologue of AoK, Geralt seems to act as a simple hired blade for Foltest, and several characters comment on how un-witcherlike this is. If they had changed the dialogue a little and made it so that Geralt went along with because he was told there was a lead on the witcher assassins inside the castle, it would have seemed more reasonable for him to be present.

It is explained, though? Geralt is basically scared and doesn't want to upset the king by leaving on a whim, which is why the favour he asks of him for saving him from the dragon is leaving the court immediately.

Kopijeger posted:

- On Iorveth's path, Loredo survives to sell Flotsam to Kaedwen if Geralt chooses to same the elf women. There doesn't seem to be a real reason as to why the Blue Stripes wouldn't go ahead and assault the compound even if Geralt abandoned them for Iorveth.

My take on this is that Iorveth has beaten Roche to a pulp (Iorveth tells this to Geralt on the boat) who probably wasn't in any condition to issue orders.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Kopijeger posted:

- On Iorveth's path, Loredo survives to sell Flotsam to Kaedwen if Geralt chooses to save the elf women. There doesn't seem to be a real reason as to why the Blue Stripes wouldn't go ahead and assault the compound even if Geralt abandoned them for Iorveth.

They actually do when you meet Roche again at the end of chapter 2 he says that Ves almost died when they were attacking Loredo basically they try but without the Witchers help the fail

Kopijeger posted:

- Incidentally, the fact that Zoltan and Dandelion accompanies Geralt to Vergen on Iorveth's path seems to imply that this path is canon.

They accompany you on the other path as well though

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

lordfrikk posted:

Like in the end when the witch hunt ensues :smith:

What witch hunt? I don't remember that ever happening.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

I think I compromised my imagined Geralt's moral integrity when I let (ending spoiler) ----Sile---- die, but I just couldn't let her go on living after what she just done and said. It was really easy to just stand idly and tell yourself it's not really your fault, but absence of action is not absence of decision, or something like that.

I can just about justify letting them die. It's like the conversation with Abigail in the first game:
:witch: "Two swords right? Steel one kills people, silver one kills monsters"
:clint: "No. They both kill monsters"

I played both games as Geralt finding a new role for Witchers in the world by redefining what he considers monsters. Witchers fight evil, in whatever form it comes in. The vampire brothel and werewolf in the first game aren't evil, so killing them isn't your job. But bandits, drug dealers and slavers definitely are, even if they're human.

It's why I chose not to kill Letho at the end. All his actions had a justification behind them, even if it was opposed to Geralt. But Sile, Loredo, that sorcerer dude were irredeemably unpleasant and had to be stopped. The world's better off without them.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

PureRok posted:

What witch hunt? I don't remember that ever happening.

If you dont save Triss then there is a massive witch hunt against magic users in the North

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

SpRahl posted:

They actually do when you meet Roche again at the end of chapter 2 he says that Ves almost died when they were attacking Loredo basically they try but without the Witchers help the fail

They accompany you on the other path as well though

Well, they do show up outside the camp, but they seemingly arrived separate from Geralt and do not interact as much with their surroundings as they seem to do in Vergen. This creates the impression that Iorveth's path is the "true" one.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Everyone who went with you is outside the camp in that same area. You're overthinking it. It doesn't give any such impression.

Edit: Maybe the sequence of events threw you off: First everyone arrives at the Kaedweni camp (Geralt, Roche/Ves/Blue Stripes, Dandelion and Zoltan), then the curse starts up and Geralt and Roche rush off to the location of the summit, everyone else stays behind. The mist rises and Geralt and Roche help the king's party back to the camp.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 19, 2013

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

The Sharmat posted:

They vary widely in quality though. I found book 4 unreadable.

The fan translations are labors of love. Just like every other fannish thing, sadly. I did kind of wonder what was going on, and why, and while the translations sort of get you there, there's a major disconnect between the storyline and what seems to have been translated. A lot of things seem to be alluded to, or outright ignored, like if you really knew the story you wouldn't be hopelessly lost and wondering why Ciri can control time and space but not when it's really useful for her to do so. I hope to Christ she isn't in 3.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

More videos from gameinformer. The first is interesting, talking about how they built one of the monsters for W3, but there's no real game mechanic details. The second is all about the monster hunting in W3. They talk about how they're working to make preparation for fights (using potions etc.) more important, recognising that it was difficult to prepare in W2 because you never really knew what monsters you'd be fighting in an area. They also mention that Geralt's main source of income in W3 will be monster hunting (presumably as opposed to looting dead dudes and pawning their stuff).

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Oooh. Maybe W3 will be The West's answer to Monster Hunter! I'm not being entirely serious with this.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

That sounds great, the potion system in 2 sorely needed improvement. Unique versions of common monster à la Witcher 1 also sounds cool.

In other news, W3 will be released simultaneously on all high-end platform, including Playstation 4. Not very suprising, even W2 was pretty clearly adapted for consoles in some ways. But I wonder if W3 will be the same top-of-the-line game graphically that W2 was.

They've said PC comes first and all that but it seems difficult to produce a game for multiple platforms at the same time while making one version radically different in regards to graphical quality (assuming Playstation 4 and next-gen xbox aren't going to total beasts).

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

They've said PC comes first and all that but it seems difficult to produce a game for multiple platforms at the same time while making one version radically different in regards to graphical quality (assuming Playstation 4 and next-gen xbox aren't going to total beasts).
Bare minimum, they'll have more than the 512mb of RAM that x360s currently have. I can see it looking as good as W2 at release based on that alone.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
I don't see any reason to worry; these new consoles will be roughly as capable as your typical gaming PC. This is frankly great news for PC gamers as we'll no longer be subject to the crippling memory/clock limitations of current gen consoles when it comes to multiplat games.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Xaurips are reptilian humanoids about the size of orlans.
I love the constant stream of information about The Witcher 3 that the developers are sending out. It really sends a message of trust, and lets us scream at them if they getting anything wrong, hopefully in time for it to be fixed.

There's enough information to fill out a new thread even... even... even....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I played through TW2 for the first time last week and despite of some difficulties in the beginning I'm really glad I finally played it. The game made me really angry four times (Kayran, Letho in chapter 1, the Draug fight in chapter 2, Operator in chapter 3) and there are a few little issues that kept nagging me (like the terrible map/minimap and the inability to loot the five bajillion Nekker corpses while "stuck" in combat) but the overall experience is pretty amazing and I can't wait for the third one.

In my second playthrough (with Iorveth and trying to find more of the optional quests and gear I seem to have missed the first time around) the difficulty spikes are much less noticeable because I got used to the fighting system and know when to pot now. Which is probably not an ideal situation so I'm glad they redesign pots again.

• Locked thread