Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Charliegrs posted:

Well they probably have to fly pretty low and slow in order for them to get their bombs to fall somewhat on target. They don't have precision guided bombs like the US does, so they can't fly too high and still hit whatever it is they are trying to hit. All that low flying makes them easier to shoot down though.

Yea in the days before precision bombs we all lost a bunch of bombers to heavy machine guns, if you want accurate hits you have to go slow and at a lower distance than others, you're not exactly a sitting duck but you have better odds than anyone else of getting blasted by some rear end in a top hat with a big machine gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
When we're talking about "heavy machine-guns" do we mean truck mounted 50 cals or do the rebels have the quad mounted heavy guns like ZSU-23s?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Intel5 posted:

The story on Al Jazeera says that the jets were downed by heavy machine gun fire, it makes me think that the pilots were being dumb for the rebels to manage two in a row like that. Any video of this up?

News are seldom reliable sources for technical details. BMP can become a tank or ZU-23/2 a heavy machinegun. While the tactical difference between a 23mm high rate of fire gun and a 12.7mm machinegun is staggering, for most of the intended audience it's quite irrelevant - like a restaurant putting a whale dish on the fish menu.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea in the days before precision bombs we all lost a bunch of bombers to heavy machine guns, if you want accurate hits you have to go slow and at a lower distance than others, you're not exactly a sitting duck but you have better odds than anyone else of getting blasted by some rear end in a top hat with a big machine gun.

Machineguns were becoming too slow (rate of fire and muzzle velocity) and short ranged to be effective even against late WW2 Jabos, let alone jet fighters. The reaction time for a ground crew was so short that you were unlikely to do much and even if you got lucky, a bullet with no explosive filler will likely just pass harmlessly through.

Lowering speed doesn't really increase bombing accuracy. It may help with reaction time so that you have more time to pick a target but with more speed you can lob a bomb from further away, even from behind the horizon if you know what you're doing. Low speed passes only make sense if you try to strafe the target.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Dusseldorf posted:

When we're talking about "heavy machine-guns" do we mean truck mounted 50 cals or do the rebels have the quad mounted heavy guns like ZSU-23s?

They've got ZU-23-2s mounted on trucks, and I saw a video of a working Shilka in the area as well.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Oh my, Finland!

http://yle.fi/uutiset/customs_investigate_military_shipment_to_syria_via_finland/6497594

yle.fi posted:

Customs officials are conducting a cross-border investigation into an apparent attempt to export military equipment to Syria through Finland without government permission.

The preliminary inquiry will examine the cargo offloaded in the Vuosaari harbour from the vessel MS Finnsun, which is owned by the shipping company Finnlines. So far officials have questioned three captains and one first mate, in addition to other Finnlines personnel.

Customs suspect the shipping company and the crew of violating export prohibitions on military equipment.

Investigators have impounded the armoured personnel carrier spare parts from the shipping container in which they were discovered. Initial information indicates that the contraband appears to part of a trade shipment from Russia to Syria.

Finland’s Defence Ministry told customs officials that no one had requested any permits to use Finland as a transshipment point for the goods.

The delivery, transfer and export of military equipment from Finland to Syria are expressly prohibited by order of the European Council.

This makes me question how much stuff is getting through undetected.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
It was probably a Zeus. I doubt a pair of .50's took down a jet unless the pilot was extremely incompetent.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Rosoboronexport (Russian state arms exporter) representative denied knowing anything about any tank spares and speculated that they might be ordinary civilian truck spares mistaken as tank parts. A little unlikely (T-72 spares and their product codes probably are well known by the inspectors to a spark plug), although mistakes do happen:

eg. in December 2011 a shipment of Patriot missiles sold by Germany to South Korea was impounded in a Finnish harbour due to a missing transit permit but also because they were listed as 'rockets' and when a Finnish customs official translated this he went with 'fireworks' due to the time of year. Of course the missiles were found in an inspection and the Customs went crazy for a while.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Looks like it was an Su-22 or a MiG-21 before it blew itself to bits on impact.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 15, 2013

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nenonen posted:

Rosoboronexport (Russian state arms exporter) representative denied knowing anything about any tank spares and speculated that they might be ordinary civilian truck spares mistaken as tank parts. A little unlikely (T-72 spares and their product codes probably are well known by the inspectors to a spark plug), although mistakes do happen:

eg. in December 2011 a shipment of Patriot missiles sold by Germany to South Korea was impounded in a Finnish harbour due to a missing transit permit but also because they were listed as 'rockets' and when a Finnish customs official translated this he went with 'fireworks' due to the time of year. Of course the missiles were found in an inspection and the Customs went crazy for a while.

I'd probably poo poo bricks too if I pried open a crate expecting bottle rockets and found a Patriot missile.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Looks like it was an Su-22 or a MiG-21 before it blew itself to bits on impact.

Here's a compilation video of the whole thing, including a MANPADS being used to down it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXxAk6i1qLU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I always worry about the pilots in these videos and hope they ejected.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Brown Moses posted:

Here's a compilation video of the whole thing, including a MANPADS being used to down it

Ah, I was right. Definitely an Su-22. You can tell by the wing shape and the fact that the landing gear is attached to the wing (you can see that detail in the footage of the burning wreckage).

Looks like Abbas is still saving his more advanced fighters and attack jets (MiG-23s and 29s and Su-24s) for a rainy day an international intervention.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 15, 2013

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Brown Moses posted:

Those MANPADS are probably keeping a few CIA analysts up all night peering over old Russian inventory lists and counting on their fingers.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
If a few scrawny rebels in the arse end of nowhere have the use of MANPADs, that's absolutely terrifying. It means anyone can obtain them and use them to down commercial airliners. There's no way they are fully secured and there's very likely going to be a few missing in the hands of those who want to use them for sinister agendas.

This is a massive nightmare. Wouldn't wanna be those CIA analysts right now.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
Especially when the regime falls, having access to even more military bases will essentially make them the most well-armed Islamist group in the region, definitely could be proliferation back to Iraq, or any other countries, really.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

Seriously? That's the last thing I think about.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

And here's my blog post on the first sighting of foreign made MANPADS in Syria, but can you guess where they came from?

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib

Baronjutter posted:

I imagine most of them are tring to stay in their jet as long as possible (as long as it can be steered) in the hope of getting closer to their home base or regime-controlled areeas...because I'm very sure the rebels won't be treating surviving pilots (who bombed them and the homes of their families for months) very gently.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

Brown Moses posted:

And here's my blog post on the first sighting of foreign made MANPADS in Syria, but can you guess where they came from?

Interesting find. Given that list of users, my money is on Pakistan, possibly via Afghanistan. There are surely enough corrupt/"freelance" Afghan and Pakistani military officers to source a shipment of MANPADS, no?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

During my tracking of these new foreign weapons I came across a battle being fought at Al-Sahoah air defence base in Daraa where these weapons appeared in abundance. Whats interesting about that battle is they've now won it and got their hands on tanks, BMPs, heavy artillery and various air defence guns. The FSA in that region has been pretty poorly equipped with regards to those types of weapons so this will be a massive boon to them, and there's more and more attacks like this happening across Daraa, with these new weapons appearing all over the place. What is then very interesting is how these weapons have also made their way to Damascus, up the road from Daraa, and it's likely these heavy weapons will allow the opposition to bring more pressure on Damascus.

Hopefully in the next few days you might see my name in a rather well known publication with regards to these weapons.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Brown Moses posted:

During my tracking of these new foreign weapons I came across a battle being fought at Al-Sahoah air defence base in Daraa where these weapons appeared in abundance. Whats interesting about that battle is they've now won it and got their hands on tanks, BMPs, heavy artillery and various air defence guns. The FSA in that region has been pretty poorly equipped with regards to those types of weapons so this will be a massive boon to them, and there's more and more attacks like this happening across Daraa, with these new weapons appearing all over the place. What is then very interesting is how these weapons have also made their way to Damascus, up the road from Daraa, and it's likely these heavy weapons will allow the opposition to bring more pressure on Damascus.

Hopefully in the next few days you might see my name in a rather well known publication with regards to these weapons.

Infowars.com?

In any case things in Bahrain are boiling again following several killings of protesters and follow up killings of police. Obviously neither the FCC states nor the Western powers are interested in seeing regime change, but with two years of Troubles so far exactly what end game are they hoping for, that it will all just stop all of a sudden?

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012
Is there a good guide of the various factions in the opposition in Syria? It would be very appreciated.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Brown Moses posted:

That's a pretty decent work-around for the proliferation issue - give the rebels weapons like Yugo guns and Chinese MANPADs that would be extra difficult to get reloads or spare parts for in the region, as opposed to universal Soviet equipment. Also means the rebels have to come back to you for more once they've used up their initial supply.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Is there a real reason to be paranoid about Saudi and Qatari groups in Syria? If both of those regimes cooperate with the US, why wouldn't Al-Nusra?

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

The X-man cometh posted:

Is there a real reason to be paranoid about Saudi and Qatari groups in Syria? If both of those regimes cooperate with the US, why wouldn't Al-Nusra?

Just because Saudi and Qatar work with us on some things doesn't mean they'll go lock step with us on every policy topic, especially on something like Syria where we don't have boots on the ground or even much of a diplomatic presence. Plus who's to say exactly how much control the Gulf States have over there backed factions in Syria, or even if they did have strong control whether that would persist after the fall of the Assad regime.

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

Terrifying Effigies posted:

That's a pretty decent work-around for the proliferation issue - give the rebels weapons like Yugo guns and Chinese MANPADs that would be extra difficult to get reloads or spare parts for in the region, as opposed to universal Soviet equipment. Also means the rebels have to come back to you for more once they've used up their initial supply.

That might stop "proliferation", but you're still giving MANPADS to people you may or may not truly know that much about. When even one of those things can cause a nasty international incident you really don't want to play fast and loose.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The X-man cometh posted:

You forget this is also the Saudi and Qatari version of flypaper strategy: they export these extremist groups so they don't have to deal with them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Brown Moses posted:

So despite any reinforcement Damascus is receiving under the table, the odds are still heavily in the FSA's favor?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

So despite any reinforcement Damascus is receiving under the table, the odds are still heavily in the FSA's favor?

I think it's not a matter of whether or not Assad will lose, but how long it will take. The problem is, if it takes a long time there might not be much left of Syria when it's all over.

Here's a video of the opposition launching a couple of Grad missiles from a DIY launcher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJx8aaLAI2A

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Well, with regards to my investigation into these foreign weapons...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7miRCLeFSJo&t=46s

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Obviously Brown Moses is CIA/NSA/NATO/MI6 and his 'vacation' to Turkey was to sell crates of arms to the Rebels - his journalism is an elaborate confession. :cheeky:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

McDowell posted:

Obviously Brown Moses is CIA/NSA/NATO/MI6 and his 'vacation' to Turkey was to sell crates of arms to the Rebels - his journalism is an elaborate confession. :cheeky:

What, nothing about Mossad? :v:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've found a new bomb in Syria, this time a high explosive incendiary bomb.

And in this video we have another example of why it's useful to have infantry support when you are in a tank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yck3EZeyOD0

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 17, 2013

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Gen. Ripper posted:

Obviously McDowell is a Mossad operative trying to distract us from the Zionist regime's plans to destroy Syria - his diversion is an elaborate confession.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Gen. Ripper posted:

That goes without saying; 100% of the world's population is a Mossad sleeper agent. I'm an agent, you're an agent, BM is an agent. Public Mossad agents have the deepest cover of all. :ssh:

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Would it be hard to believe that the Syrian regime would some have chinese made FN-6 manpads? It's not like we know every weapon Syria had. And China has a long history of selling weapons to middle eastern dictatorships. That doesn't mean that these missiles were sold to some other country and somehow found their way into Syria as others have suggested. But I just think the most likely scenario is they were looted from one of the airbases that the rebels have captured.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
A lot of commentry on Twitter (not that we should necessarily trust what is said on twitter, particuarly as a lot is just people - mostly outside Syria - repeating each other, but still...) that Hezbollah has launched a large offensive on FSA held Homs countryside.

Whether that is true or not, Homs does seem to be the one area that the Syrian army is advancing in. @samersniper , an activist in Homs, has become quite despondent in the last few days.

2 hrs ago samer @samersniper posted:

SOME (#FSA leaders) War dealers, the arms suppliers, and the Assad regime are the reason that #Homs will fall!!

Feb 14 samer @samersniper posted:

@ibarb_GT They are still in Old Homs, But we lost Jobar, Sultaniyeh, and Kafraya .. the southern side!!

Feb 13 samer @samersniper posted:

@YallaSouriya Jobar is almost wiped out 1000 FSA fighters (80 martyrs, 350 severely injured, and 250 minor injuries) supply routes was cut!!

mediadave fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 17, 2013

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

And in this video we have another example of why it's useful to have infantry support when you are in a tank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yck3EZeyOD0

I can't even see what they did to it. All I know is that the tank crew abandoned the tank and probably got shot and some fire. Maybe they thought the rebels were planting explosives and panicked.

Shade2142
Oct 10, 2012

Rollin'

Young Freud posted:

I can't even see what they did to it. All I know is that the tank crew abandoned the tank and probably got shot and some fire. Maybe they thought the rebels were planting explosives and panicked.

Neither does the tank attempt to blow them away or drive off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Missionaries arrested in Libya

Probably doesn't mean much, but I can't imagine the :jihad: AL-QAEDA TAKING OVER :jihad: crowd will let this go for at least 3 weeks.

• Locked thread