Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Well Manicured Man posted:

Have fun dealing with a 100,000x prototyped Black King that's nothing but a massive conglomeration of every Homestuck fan's favorite anime/video game (or Homestuck) character distilled into a single body (and at least eleven incarnations of The Doctor).

And Koos.

That's the genius of it though.

We won't have to beat the King, he'll kill himself before we even get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I wouldn't be so sure Condy's free from English's gaze. I mean, wasn't the whole point of the double-panelling so that Caliborn could go through all the events faster? He's seeing all of this.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

nerdbot posted:

I wouldn't be so sure Condy's free from English's gaze. I mean, wasn't the whole point of the double-panelling so that Caliborn could go through all the events faster? He's seeing all of this.

He saw all of this. We're back to one panel at the end of the act...

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

He saw all of this. We're back to one panel at the end of the act...

...What if the kids weren't the suckas?

What if the suckas were Gamzee and Caliborn?

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
Well.

That was fast.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Dorroile posted:

You aren't going to be so happy when he spends all your Boonbucks on reregs.

You think that's bad, how do you think my IWCSprite's going?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Here's my beef (fillet?) with Feferi: she's the most pampered kid on the planet, and the Empress can't touch her because Cthulhu is her foster mom, but she does nothing to try to shake up the Troll's shithole of a planet. She's one of the few kids in any position to try to improve their miserable society but she doesn't even really try (if Karkat had Gl'bgolyb riding shotgun you could bet poo poo would get done). She's a perfect example of someone with good intentions but no drive or sense of responsibility - she admits "culling" cuttlefish to supposedly care for them is a just a game, and without blaming her for Eridan's subsequent actions, she probably picked the worst possible moment to ditch him.
Condi could probably control Bec Noir and PM with Serket's powers alone.

On Feferi, it mentioned she had the plans to fix the spitball of a planet. It was her Lusus that gave her the pep talk that the efforts would be in vain because the planet would be obliterated before she even reached maturity. It's a bit telling that despite being a Derse dreamer she dresses like a Prospit carapace (+bling)

Finally, Gl'bgolyb may be Feferi/HIC's guardian, but it is not their servant. Don't forget, the reason this monster was introduced to the planet in the first place was to ensure it turned out to be a hellhole, provide simple means to exterminate trolls at any time, and to be prototyped-requiring additional misfortune among the trolls to stay competitive in the medium.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

of bees posted:

Well.

That was fast.

I will admit I laughed at the name tag.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

of bees posted:

Well.

That was fast.

I'm not surprised, they had all morning to work on it.

Homestuck update cosplay gets cranked out so fast at this point that I won't be surprised until it takes less than thirty minutes after an update featuring a new character/outfit/appearance for someone to cosplay it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Indie Rocktopus posted:

I'm actually almost done with the first draft of Act 5 Act 2 - I just have to finish taking notes on Shoosh/Pap and Cascade. It'll still be a bitch to edit, though.

Some of the stuff involving reader commands is a bit uniformed, by the way. For instance, 'Zoosmell Pooplord' was Hussie's suggestion, and "John Egbert" was the first reader-submitted name.

The second choice (Clint Newton) would probably have created a rather different character.

Not sure if forum/formspring/tumblr/twitter author commentary / shenanigans should be more integrated or not... you touched on some of the stuff in the annotations, but left a lot of it out.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Yessss!

Back to makeout meteor!

Haha Karkat you are such a dork.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Oh god Make-out Meteor time! This better be loving fun.

Crabmunicator, good start.

Pentachronic Snail
Nov 2, 2011
This is great and all but I wonder of Meteor et al. realise how much of a fustercluck they're in for.

Oh well, I'll enjoy the KV/DS interaction whilst it lasts.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
So talking to a player who has the gift of gab is enough to earn you a Dialoglog, even if that player is not responding to you.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Please let Karkat and Dave be best buddies now and acting like total dorks together. Please let this happen.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Karkat. You finally made a communication device that is smaller than a table.

You have truly become a man troll. I am so proud of you.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Karkat is so adorable adorabloodthirsty with his little crabunicator. :allears:

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

RandallODim posted:

Please let Karkat and Dave be best buddies now and acting like total dorks together. Please let this happen.

I'd settle for it just being Karkat acting like a dork.

But yes, that would be rather sweet.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
And within three panels, Karkat once again grumpily scuttles into my heart.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Karkat still isn't using red text, that guy really is self loathing.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Until I see the next set of pages I'm going to assume Dave has been standing right next to him this whole time.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Until I see the next set of pages I'm going to assume Dave has been standing right next to him this whole time.

Ooh, we're playing SchrödinStrider?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Man, I really missed Karkat.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So Math posted:

So talking to a player who has the gift of gab is enough to earn you a Dialoglog, even if that player is not responding to you.

Or is it? Maybe Karkat went God Tier on a dream bubble quest bed and is just chilling in normal clothes at the moment. Didn't think of that completely obvious possibility, did ya, smart guy?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Whats the bet that Karkat and Dave have inexplicably become super-close friends now?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Fat_Cow posted:

Karkat still isn't using red text, that guy really is self loathing.

At this point, he probably is avoiding it to make a point about being better than Kankri.

Seoinin posted:

weird internet people...stuck with them in a dead-but-dreaming state for eternity.

I don't see how this is any different from my day-to-day life?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Did you guys forget about the Dialoglog that they all had back here?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nephthys posted:

Whats the bet that Karkat and Dave have inexplicably become super-close friends now?

God I hope so. It would be the best :allears:

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

The crabmunicator is stylish, sure, but those dinky plastic claws are gonna snap off the first time Karkat takes a tumble.

Bell_ posted:

On Feferi, it mentioned she had the plans to fix the spitball of a planet. It was her Lusus that gave her the pep talk that the efforts would be in vain because the planet would be obliterated before she even reached maturity. It's a bit telling that despite being a Derse dreamer she dresses like a Prospit carapace (+bling)

The Prospit dress thing is a great catch, I'm kicking myself I didn't pick up on that.

And everyone made very eloquent defenses of fishgirl! Clearly I wasn't giving her enough credit before.

Also grateful we didn't get "Clint Newton", if only for the Clint Barton (Hawkeye from the Avengers) Tumblr jokes we've been spared.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

So Math posted:

Karkat has been participating in Dialoglogs since shortly after they were introduced. He, and all the surviving trolls. Geez.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Plom Bar posted:

Karkat has been participating in Dialoglogs since shortly after they were introduced. He, and all the surviving trolls. Geez.

So Math wasn't saying that it's new for a person without Gift of Gab to participate in a Dialoglog; they were saying that it's new that a person without Gift of Gab to participate in a Dialoglog when the person who does have Gift of Gab isn't (currently) responding.

Of course, that's not actually new either, since Roxy and Jane were participating in a Spritelog when sweet, precious Fefetasprite barely said anything.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

I think we're getting too carried away in analysis of various communicative conventions. I think we can generally agree that any character can participate in any "log" provided it is narratively convenient for them to do so.

Stayton
May 20, 2006

A girl who will put you in a full nelson is worth fighting for.

Pentachronic Snail posted:

This is great and all but I wonder of Meteor et al. realise how much of a fustercluck they're in for.

Oh well, I'll enjoy the KV/DS interaction whilst it lasts.

Let's assess their assets:
God Tier time and light players. According lore, a combination of great potency.

A high level seer of mind. Likely immune to mind control.

A rainbow drinker space player. Undead status may provide mind control immunity?

A high level blood night. Ancestral history of rebellion against existing social structure indicates his kind is feared by troll leadership. May have undisclosed powers relating to both to his blood color, and player class, also blood.

I am guessing Karkat has a vital role yet to play.

One faux God Tier murderclown. Likely 'free' to do various unusual things via time travel device. Existence compelling evidence Meteor group's plan failed. Probably because Gamzee turned over a copy of Rose's book to HIC via time bullshit.

I think whatever initial plan they have is doomed to fail as we haven't seen Dave pulling something like Gamzee has been. Or trying to stop him through a dramatic time chase. This would indicate Dave is neutralized at some time very soon.

I don't think a plan has much of a chance against any of their opponents. Only random bullshit will work. It's just the nature of the story. Working plans are for bad guys.

On the positive side I think there's a chance most the Meteor trolls are immune to HIC's influence.

This makes sense though. Most god tier players are simply too strong to be heroes. So they must be brought to ground some way. Either mind control or some other method.

John and Dirk are probably going to be the only God tiers left out of this beatdown as their powers are the least helpful in attaining victory. They can't travel through time, see the future, manipulate space, give life, block enemy monitoring, or even provide hope.

The way I see it, we're likely going to see John and Dirk putting together a ragtag team of misfits.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Plom Bar posted:

I think we're getting too carried away in analysis of various communicative conventions. I think we can generally agree that any character can participate in any "log" provided it is narratively convenient for them to do so.

To be honest, you might be under analyzing them. This is one of those silly rules that Hussie seems to have taken great pride in never breaking. For example, when Gamzee showed up on Jane's doorstop, we didn't have a normal conversation between him and Jane because it still hasn't been established if he's actually Godtier or just made/found the costume. So we got the weird shop interface. And shortly after that, Tavrisprite appeared and facilitated the nearby conversation. Gamzee left when Tavrisprite exploded, preventing a dialoguelog from occurring.

Similarly, when the Alpha Kids were on their Quest Slabs, no one talked to the person next to them, necessitating chatlogs between moons.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Bobulus posted:

To be honest, you might be under analyzing them. This is one of those silly rules that Hussie seems to have taken great pride in never breaking. For example, when Gamzee showed up on Jane's doorstop, we didn't have a normal conversation between him and Jane because it still hasn't been established if he's actually Godtier or just made/found the costume. So we got the weird shop interface. And shortly after that, Tavrisprite appeared and facilitated the nearby conversation. Gamzee left when Tavrisprite exploded, preventing a dialoguelog from occurring.

Similarly, when the Alpha Kids were on their Quest Slabs, no one talked to the person next to them, necessitating chatlogs between moons.

Regarding the bolded part, being God Tier has dick all to do with dialoglogs because John didn't get the gift of gab badge until well after getting the tiger. On the whole, I just don't see the point in scrutinizing these rules, other than maybe to catch Hussie breaking them, at which point one of two things will happen: we go "Ah-HA!" and congratulate ourselves over how clever we are while Hussie rolls his eyes at our pedantry, or we go "BUT WHAT DOES THIS MEEEEEEEEEAN" which is about as constructive, at this point, as attempting to fathom why stairs cost so much more build grist than ladders.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Bobulus posted:

That had nothing to do with their ability to communicate directly to one another or lack thereof.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Plom Bar posted:

Regarding the bolded part, being God Tier has dick all to do with dialoglogs because John didn't get the gift of gab badge until well after getting the tiger. On the whole, I just don't see the point in scrutinizing these rules, other than maybe to catch Hussie breaking them, at which point one of two things will happen: we go "Ah-HA!" and congratulate ourselves over how clever we are while Hussie rolls his eyes at our pedantry, or we go "BUT WHAT DOES THIS MEEEEEEEEEAN" which is about as constructive, at this point, as attempting to fathom why stairs cost so much more build grist than ladders.

He did, however, earn it upon reaching level 2. Which every other God Tier that we know is either probably long past (Vriska) that level, or reached it immediately (Jade, Dave, Rose.)

The characters without God Tier do not have that ability and have not participated in any Dialoglogs without a God Tier being involved.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

John didn't dialog with anybody before getting the Gift of Gab though. They got it the instant they met with each other.

Hussie said it's ridiculously unimportant (as in, it's ridiculous to think that characters can't really talk to one another until they have a badge), yet it remains to be unbroken. The badge only relates to DialogLogs we are allowed to be an audience to. Players can talk to each other with the badge or in front of Sprites (another reason for the Trollsprites to exist) and those elements will be present when a DialogLog is going to ensue. It's a joke and a rule. They will acquire the means to talk when it is narrative convenient, just as any other obstacle they need to overcome to advance in the story, such as collecting enough grist or building the tallest building.

All the game mechanics are jokes, really.

Although, chats that happen off-screen are a blindspot to both the audience and Caliborn. Possibly relevant.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Plom Bar posted:

Regarding the bolded part, being God Tier has dick all to do with dialoglogs because John didn't get the gift of gab badge until well after getting the tiger.

Nevertheless, it is a God Tier ability. The fact that it's not a first level God Tier ability is irrelevant!

frozentreasure posted:

That had nothing to do with their ability to communicate directly to one another or lack thereof.

Sure, there was a real reason they weren't talking out loud. Well, several reasons; they were also pretty badly hungover at the time. There are always other, better reasons. Nevertheless, the rules do seem to be the rules: If you're not God Tier, you don't get dialoglogs. If there's no sprites around, you don't get spritelogs. If you didn't start communicating through chat, you don't get pesterlogs. If you're not talking to the narrator, you don't get... authorlogs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Spellman posted:

John didn't dialog with anybody before getting the Gift of Gab though. They got it the instant they met with each other.
My point exactly

quote:

Hussie said it's ridiculously unimportant
My point exactly.

quote:

They will acquire the means to talk when it is narrative convenient, just as any other obstacle they need to overcome to advance in the story, such as collecting enough grist or building the tallest building.

All the game mechanics are jokes, really.

My point exactly! Isn't consonance fun?