Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Crameltonian posted:

(Also Hokkaido's apparently closer racially to Iceland than to the rest of Japan but I'm going to assume that's a map error)
Could be a disproportionate nod towards the Ainu.

SombreroAgnew fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

DrProsek posted:

Now the Philippines are Jewish! This is not what I wanted at all :saddowns:.

They're labelled Catholic...?

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

GreenCard78 posted:

Not sure how it works abroad but yes, North Africans, Arabs, people from the Middle East are all white according to the US Census.

http://www.ohr.gatech.edu/race%20definitions

That's from Georgia Tech but if you apply to jobs in the US, they'll have an optional demographic section at the end and they come with these same federal definitions for people to use.

In Britain at least 'Arab' is a separate ethnicity for official purposes, I'd assume it's the same in European countries that categorise such things. Shows how nebulous the concept of race is but it really boils down to immigration from North Africa and the Middle East being a boogeyman in Europe in a way that it isn't in the US. A lot of it has to do with the fact that they're Muslim and are therefore a threat to Are Christian Heritage but there's definitely a sense that they're different from white Europeans.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

PBJ posted:

Technically, all of the Eastern US is under German control, being a fascist puppet and all.

Map of world religions.
Most of Russia is "Traditional and Tribal"? Well... that's true, but not in a religious sense, I don't think.

(Also, the same regarding most of Greenland, but who do I know from Greenland, really?)

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

System Metternich posted:

Let's try that again with a different map:

You're right to say Africa is a mess; Ethiopia is still stated as mostly Muslim when it most certainly isn't. If the map isn't researched enough to represent that I'm not sure how trustworthy the rest of it is.

What's the deal with the noted Hindu minority in Guyana?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Most of Russia is "Traditional and Tribal"? Well... that's true, but not in a religious sense, I don't think.

(Also, the same regarding most of Greenland, but who do I know from Greenland, really?)

Those areas of Russia and greenland are still mostly inhabited by traditional inuit peoples.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Freudian posted:

Unless I am misreading the map, they are labelled "Tribal and Christian".

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Xander77 posted:

I think the map actually is true geographically. A huge religious survey of Russia was done last year and around 1.5% of the population listed paganism/traditional religions as their religion. You have to think a decent number of those are non Russian tribes out east. Geographically the map is probably more or less accurate, but if you put it on top of a population graph we'd be reminded those huge areas have in fact only a miniscule portion of Russia's population. Very small and rather isolated places.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

YF-23 posted:

What's the deal with the noted Hindu minority in Guyana?

That one checks out. There's lots of descendants of Indian slaves brought over by the British in Guyana. Quite a few of them are Hindu, but checking the numbers on Wikipedia, I see that 43% of the population is Indo-Guyanese, but only 28% is Hindu. So those two things are not synonymous.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

QuoProQuid posted:

Alternate historychat: The new flagchat? Time will tell.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

That reminds me:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SombreroAgnew posted:

So in what crack-addled alternate reality does the British Empire turn into a bunch of random "worker's republics" while the Russian Empire is still going strong (minus Poland, Ukraine, and the Baltic states)? Not to mention there's no independent Ireland.

Seriously, what person with absolutely no knowledge of the pre-WW1 British Empire came up with this?

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 18, 2013

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Freudian posted:

I was looking at the un-zommed in version and they looked blue to me :shobon:. Looking at the map close up, yeah they're labelled as Catholic. Although I still maintain that the Phillipines are wrong as the southern Muslim region is still Catholic. Also Kalingrad is labeled as Catholic despite being 78% Russian so I'm fairly certain that would make it Orthodox unless there's something about it I'm unaware of.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

QuoProQuid posted:

An United Britain?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

tractor fanatic posted:

An United Britain?

Maybe that is how they say it in England.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So in what crack-addled alternate reality does the British Empire turn into a bunch of random "worker's republics" while the Russian Empire is still going strong (minus Poland, Ukraine, and the Baltic states)? Not to mention there's no independent Ireland.

Seriously, what person with absolutely no knowledge of the pre-WW1 British Empire came up with this?
http://edthomasten.deviantart.com/art/Fight-and-Be-Right-176385571

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

SombreroAgnew posted:

I had to actively turn away from this. It's... horrifying.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

cheerfullydrab posted:

I had to actively turn away from this. It's... horrifying.
That seems like a bizarrely strong reaction.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Iceland, under American control? I am horrified also.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Iceland, under American control? I am horrified also.
It's clearly marked as being a Danish possession.

I am curious why they made Newfoundland independent. No way that would happen - it was either going to be a perpetual colony or a province of Canada, with no middle ground.

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

ekuNNN posted:

It needs a "None" category :colbert:

"The percentage of atheist, agnostic, nonreligious, irreligious population around the world. The data is based on 2006 total population."

I have my doubts about that one. If you look at the UK it seems as if it's towards the higher end of the scale. The 2011 census came up with about 25% of the population having no religion. So either the mapmaker's figures are off or the map isn't easy to interpret (multiple colours would be much clearer than shades of the same colour).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Strudel Man posted:

I mean I was looking at it and sort of mentally listing all the things that were wrong and awful about it and just had to stop and say whatever dumb alternate history map just look away.

It's the little things, like how in everybody's wacky alternate history maps the Italians still somehow get South Tyrol.

Here's an actual contribution. It's a map of all the countries that have been visited by a US president. Not sure how current it is.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

My guess would be that they believe that if Alexander II had not been assassinated, he would have sufficiently liberalized Russia to maintain popular Tsarist control in a strong Russia through World War I, avoid revolution, and the resulting effects on the Great War and subsequent history would have meant Communism took hold as an actual proletarian, anti-imperialist movement in the British Empire.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

eSports Chaebol posted:

My guess would be that they believe that if Alexander II had not been assassinated, he would have sufficiently liberalized Russia to maintain popular Tsarist control in a strong Russia through World War I, avoid revolution, and the resulting effects on the Great War and subsequent history would have meant Communism took hold as an actual proletarian, anti-imperialist movement in the British Empire.

Actually it's apparently something about Winston Churchill's father goes Super Saiyan and blows up the Empire somehow because Alternate History means you can just make up political cause and effect.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
What if, like, a bunch of time traveling South African racists went back and armed the Zulus with AK47s.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

lonelywurm posted:

It's clearly marked as being a Danish possession.

I am curious why they made Newfoundland independent. No way that would happen - it was either going to be a perpetual colony or a province of Canada, with no middle ground.

Might be a reference to a turn of the 20th century war plan by the US. In case of war with the UK, one of the first priorities was to occupy Newfoundland and prevent the ports there from being used to offload British soldiers and supplies into Canada. Meanwhile, the US drives on Winnipeg, Ottawa, Montreal, etc. etc. Could be that an armistice signed in this world provided for an independent Newfoundland as a US satellite.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

cheerfullydrab posted:

I mean I was looking at it and sort of mentally listing all the things that were wrong and awful about it and just had to stop and say whatever dumb alternate history map just look away.

It's the little things, like how in everybody's wacky alternate history maps the Italians still somehow get South Tyrol.

Here's an actual contribution. It's a map of all the countries that have been visited by a US president. Not sure how current it is.

Myanmar/Burma can now be added to the list. In fact, they have Thailand on that map shaded, and if I recall, when Obama stopped there on the way to Myanmar, that was the first presidential visit to there.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

It's kind of a dumb map because it's sitting and former presidents.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Also, didn't Obama go to Kenya?

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

cheerfullydrab posted:

It's kind of a dumb map because it's sitting and former presidents.

If it is, shouldn't it include North Korea?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

eSports Chaebol posted:

At least the Russia part would never have happened, especially since Alexander II was already turning more conservative later during his reign and Alexander III would have taken the reins when he died of old age. I know it is dumb alternate history stuff, but yeah Russia was fated to fall apart. In fact, I kind of doubt there was ever a point where things could have really worked or changed...there is a reason Russians are a pretty fatalistic people. The more you study Russia, the more you realize the country was just waiting for a guy like Lenin or Trotsky.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Crameltonian posted:

In Britain at least 'Arab' is a separate ethnicity for official purposes, I'd assume it's the same in European countries that categorise such things. Shows how nebulous the concept of race is but it really boils down to immigration from North Africa and the Middle East being a boogeyman in Europe in a way that it isn't in the US. A lot of it has to do with the fact that they're Muslim and are therefore a threat to Are Christian Heritage but there's definitely a sense that they're different from white Europeans.

Every weird and confusing part of that map is explained by early 20th century legal cases designed to resolve ambiguities in American segregation and legal discrimination. Basically a bunch of lawyers sat down and tried to figure out who was more or less a human and who a gross apeman we needed to keep out of the country. It generally resulted in completely arbitrary distinctions with no basis in anything resembling modern genetic science for example Australians getting lumped in with polynesians and the Ainu getting classified as white. I image the reasoning on the Ainu went something like 'well their beards are pretty full and their eyes aren't that chinky so they can't be asian, must be white :downs: Even if this classification system still existed it would be irrelevant today since the Ainu have intermarried with other Japanese people a lot since 1900 and are much less distinct than they used to be.

There were some big debates about whether the Aryan invasion of India meant Indians were white or not or if high caste hindus could be considered pure Aryan. Ultimately the courts decided they had all been contaminated with nasty dravidian blood and as such were negros. I'm sure a whole bunch of orientalists into eastern religion were super pissed.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

I'm annoyed because I used to have a better version of this that I can't find. Bah. Anyhow, back in the eighties, the British government did survivability estimates for possible nuclear wars (Exercise Hard Rock, and such), and made a list of likely targets in Britain. Essentially, everything up the East Coast becomes a glowing mess due to all the early-warning radar sites looking out for the USA's safety (you're welcome) The big red arrow pointing to Turnstile is where the British government had its back-up location to run away to underground, with facilities to keep the civil service running in the event. :britain:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What's up with the nuke on Shetland? Was that an early warning site too?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
The Russians just REALLY hate ponies!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Grand Fromage posted:

What's up with the nuke on Shetland? Was that an early warning site too?

Yep, early warning stations up there.

As for that map, you can tell these imagined Soviets wanted to ensure the survivors had no morale remaining - they left Derby standing.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
So Ireland comes out ok, or is the map just for targets in the UK?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

The end result is clear, Ireland and Scotland shall have final victory of England after so many centuries :scotland: :ireland:(I can't believe there's no Irish flag, if for jokes on St Patty's day alone)

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
What are the atmospheric patterns like up there? I'm imagining just clouds and clouds of radiation drifting over continental Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I like the five or so possible nuke sites around London. I'm pretty sure even the Soviets weren't going to be that precise if they started dropping nukes on London.