Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Im_Special posted:

So I'm looking for another project to tackle, aka play through some rather large RPG series of games that I've never heard of, or are just highly underrated gem's. I'm wondering if any of you guys have played and can vouch for some of these games, any feedback from your experiences are welcomed.

Wild Arms 3
Wild Arms 4
Wild Arms 5
Wild Arms Alter Code: F

Wild Arms 3 has a really great world and is definitely the biggest game in the series.(or at least feels like it, in a good way) They streamline some of the mechanics but the overall formula is still the same. No more equipment, everyone has an ARM you can upgrade as you go. Personal skills are back and tied to Mediums, you can mix and match up to three mediums on all four of your characters for the ideal setup. It's the basis for the sort of mini job system that WA4 and 5 go with. It's also got an IMMENSE amount of optional content that I enjoy a lot.

Wild Arms 4 is a complete loving mess, don't play it. It's probably the worst game I've ever personally played.

I'm Neutral about 5, it's got a lot of stuff I don't like but so many easter eggs and cameos from characters of the first 3 games that I can live with it.

Alter Code F is basically the first game with WA3's new systems and even more customization when it comes to personal skills. I really liked it but it might be because I think some of the changes they made when they redid all the graphics for some of the bosses were really awesome.(Monster Zed is now a super robot It's also got about as much optional content as WA3, which is a fuckload.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Wendell posted:

I don't know why you have to lie to the guy.

The original .hack series is pure dog poo poo. I started it up and was impressed by the fake MMO experience they had built and was already planning on telling everyone who would listen how cool the game was, but then the actual gameplay started. Incredibly slow "action" RPG gameplay, with the insulting addition of text menus you have to pull up any time you want to do a special move. The randomly generated dungeons/fields are ugly, repetitive, and boring.

The second series, .hack//G.U., is a nice improvement. The battle system is still a joke compared to basically any other action-oriented game, but it's better than the original.

Maybe we should just wait for the inevitable Sword Art Online games for our "Fake MMO" needs.

edit: Wow, what do you know, there actually is going to be one. For the PSP. In 2013. Japan is weird.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Wild Arms 5 is nice in that it's one of the rare modern RPGs with a full over world, and loads of optional content. Like a SNES game with PS2 advancements.

I just remembered the weirdly out of left field ending, and how hosed up it was. Avril is trapped repeating the same events for the rest of time, and we're supposed to think that's kinda sad, but mostly OK because the world is saved and there's this other Avril here who is pretty much the same anyway. But no, that's hosed, I can't imagine a worse fate.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Maybe we should just wait for the inevitable Sword Art Online games for our "Fake MMO" needs.

edit: Wow, what do you know, there actually is going to be one. For the PSP. In 2013. Japan is weird.
It's SOP for every popular anime to get a PSP game at this point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wendell posted:

Wild Arms 5 is nice in that it's one of the rare modern RPGs with a full over world, and loads of optional content. Like a SNES game with PS2 advancements.

I just remembered the weirdly out of left field ending, and how hosed up it was. Avril is trapped repeating the same events for the rest of time, and we're supposed to think that's kinda sad, but mostly OK because the world is saved and there's this other Avril here who is pretty much the same anyway. But no, that's hosed, I can't imagine a worse fate.

You're supposed to think That it's bittersweet because she gets to relive the happiest moments of her life for eternity except... man, gently caress that.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I kinda like G.U., that fake mmo thing is really endearing for some reason!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
But the setting is fine. It's really the gameplay that is a kiss of death though. You need a lot of patience to put up with the sluggish pace.

Zevin_Mars
Nov 15, 2011

Zaggitz posted:

Wild Arms 3 has a really great world and is definitely the biggest game in the series.(or at least feels like it, in a good way) They streamline some of the mechanics but the overall formula is still the same. No more equipment, everyone has an ARM you can upgrade as you go. Personal skills are back and tied to Mediums, you can mix and match up to three mediums on all four of your characters for the ideal setup. It's the basis for the sort of mini job system that WA4 and 5 go with. It's also got an IMMENSE amount of optional content that I enjoy a lot.

Wild Arms 4 is a complete loving mess, don't play it. It's probably the worst game I've ever personally played.

Wild ARMs 3 is phenomenally good and incredibly cheap for an obscure, niche, JRPG(seriously guys, this poo poo gets way too expensive sometimes). I come across sealed copies for $10 all the time.

Gotta agree with you on Wild ARMs 4. It killed my interest in the series. The plot felt rushed and half written. Where each villain got an ongoing arc where you fought them multiple times and got to see them grow (more than most RPGs do their main cast) in previous games, WA4 just threw assholes at you after introducing them and then threw them on the body pile after the first fight. I didn't care about anything and the cast was vapid ciphers with nothing to contribute to the plot. The gameplay sports an all new system but the game is so easy that you never get to have any fun with it.

Then the ending. ugh.

But onto a good game, anyone else here have the opportunity to play Panzer Dragoon Saga?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I played a little of it during my freshman year of college gaming binge but was too ADD to stick with it. I did rather enjoy the LP someone did a few years back.

Zevin_Mars
Nov 15, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

I played a little of it during my freshman year of college gaming binge but was too ADD to stick with it. I did rather enjoy the LP someone did a few years back.

I've not seen the LP of it, but I've always said if I ever did an LP of an RPG (or just an LP in general...) it'd be PDS. It's short enough that you could pull it off without getting up to Part 10,000,000. I think my final clock in time on my first time through 100% was 16 hours and a lot of that could be cut out in editing because I kept getting turned around in certain dungeons or trying to get a good rank against rare encounters.

My favorite part about it is how it contextualizes the shoestring plots of the first two games into a functional mythology. Admittedly the ending is kind of opaque, but it makes sense once you look at the whole picture. It's just very out of left field.

And not enough can be said about the battle system. It's a little too easy at times, but the game really can punish you for loving up too much, which is nice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zevin_Mars posted:

But onto a good game, anyone else here have the opportunity to play Panzer Dragoon Saga?

Hahaha, man. That ending. It is amazing that it manages to be as offensive as it is, but holy gently caress is that a stupid ending.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

So I am in Chapter 5 of Resonance of Fate and while the battle system and map system are both tits, I cannot make heads or tails of what is going on in the world. There seems to have been very little exposition of plot or personality other than the PCs ribbing each other and some shadowy NPCs that I don't recognize having nonsensical conversations in between chapters. Did I miss something here?

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Nah that's RoF. It loves being super vague about everything, and even after you start piecing some things together, it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Those shadowy NPC conversations won't make any amount of sense until certain revelations that happen much, much later and by then you'll probably have forgotten them completely.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Troffen posted:

Nah that's RoF. It loves being super vague about everything, and even after you start piecing some things together, it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Those shadowy NPC conversations won't make any amount of sense until certain revelations that happen much, much later and by then you'll probably have forgotten them completely.

I guess that's to be expected of a game that expects you to New Game + it ten times.

Totally not gonna do that, by the way.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I stopped playing RoF near the end but I still put over 80 hours, just give me a sequel TriACe, actually, just give me a new game TriAce.

I love the Wild Arms series, but man, it's kinda of an uneven franchise; I'd love for a remake of 3 with a bit more fast paced battle system.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Was Wild Arms 3 the game where there was no way of actually buying healing items? I seem to remember screwing myself over because of that somehow.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Was Wild Arms 3 the game where there was no way of actually buying healing items? I seem to remember screwing myself over because of that somehow.

I know in WA2 there was only one place you could buy healing items, and it was hidden deep in a place that's kinda otherwise worthless and you needed a late-game secret character to get there. I'm told it's a staple of the series, so I suppose so.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

You can't buy them directly but you can grow them, and there are nonstandard methods of healing so it isn't as big an issue as it sounds.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Also, WA3 has a lot of wind talk, or were the analogies about birds? I dunno, I liked Jett at the time, he was anime cool (read, kinda of a jerk and dismissive).

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Birds and Wind and other freedom motifs all the goddamn time. Freedom was the Anime Theme Of The Game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, you had to find or grow healing items in WA3. On the other hand, you could always just use Extension + Heal with Gallows, he had the best magic stat in the game and that was basically a full heal every time you used it.

Honest Thief posted:

Also, WA3 has a lot of wind talk, or were the analogies about birds? I dunno, I liked Jett at the time, he was anime cool (read, kinda of a jerk and dismissive).
Yeah it was full of "I'm gonna fly" and poo poo.

Alternatively, I did like how nobody put up with Jet's poo poo.
"C'mon Jet smile!"
"..."
"Forget it, you're an rear end in a top hat."

"Hey Jet! Have a beer!"
"..."
"Whatev', more for me!"

"Jet what the gently caress is your problem"
"..."
"I should slap you"

v holy poo poo i've been ice burned in a thread about nintendos

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 19, 2013

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
You should read my fanfic about how Virginia and Jett get together after one night of drinking, it is heeee-larious

Zevin_Mars
Nov 15, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Hahaha, man. That ending. It is amazing that it manages to be as offensive as it is, but holy gently caress is that a stupid ending.

I get why people hate the ending, but I figured it was something along those lines from the start, it's a pretty bleak game, so I didn't imagine the hero getting a happy ending. My only real problem with it is that it really could have done a little more to let us know what happened after the fact. Epilogues are important when the events are as significant as we’re told they supposedly were in that game, and it just stops.

At least we got Orta a few years later for that stuff, but I’m pretty sure Saga was originally planned to be the ending to the series so I’m not willing to give it a total pass.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I don't recall much about the ending but I do remember thinking Saga was the coolest rpg in town, I really liked its quirks like overhearing talks with your lock on targeting

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zevin_Mars posted:

I get why people hate the ending, but I figured it was something along those lines from the start, it's a pretty bleak game, so I didn't imagine the hero getting a happy ending. My only real problem with it is that it really could have done a little more to let us know what happened after the fact. Epilogues are important when the events are as significant as we’re told they supposedly were in that game, and it just stops.

At least we got Orta a few years later for that stuff, but I’m pretty sure Saga was originally planned to be the ending to the series so I’m not willing to give it a total pass.

I don't mind a bleak ending but the overall message of the ending is the stupidest loving thing. I mean it certainly plays into the game's "ADULTS ALL SUCK" themes but in the goofiest loving way possible.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Honest Thief posted:

I stopped playing RoF near the end but I still put over 80 hours, just give me a sequel TriACe, actually, just give me a new game TriAce.

At least you made it that far. I thought the game was almost criminally boring.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SpazmasterX posted:

At least you made it that far. I thought the game was almost criminally boring.

Gonna second that

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RoF was seriously some of the most fun I've had with an RPG in ages. Criminally boring is completely bewildering to me, especially on the higher difficulty modes.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

ImpAtom posted:

RoF was seriously some of the most fun I've had with an RPG in ages. Criminally boring is completely bewildering to me, especially on the higher difficulty modes.

All of the gameplay is basically shoot guy while running, backtrack a million times because you don't have the right pieces to get any farther on the world map (dumbest poo poo ever) or the enemy power curve suddenly turned into a vertical line.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

All of the gameplay is basically shoot guy while running, backtrack a million times because you don't have the right pieces to get any farther on the world map (dumbest poo poo ever) or the enemy power curve suddenly turned into a vertical line.

I suspect the reason you found the enemy power curve a vertical line is because you thought the gameplay was just "shoot guy while running" v:shobon:v

There's a lot you can do with positioning, equipment, arena manipulation and various other factors to massively weight the game in your favor. Likewise the enemies will exploit it if you just decide to run and shoot. (Although you can mostly get away with this if you just do the story missions and don't do any higher difficulty modes.)

The hex system is a bit obtuse but if you're 'blocked' from progressing it's usually because you're being kind of reckless with what you open or you're rushing to the next plot point without doing anything else. (Which, again, probably contributes to the "vertical line power curve" thing, especially because missions get you more bezels.)

There's certainly some obtuse and stupid poo poo mind you, like the areas where you lose a party member and thus access to a lot of your established abilities. The one section where you only have one party member is by far the worst part of the game. I also think the game explains itself relatively poorly to the point where you can just blitz through the lowest difficulty without understanding any of the gameplay mechanics through pure brute force.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 19, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I got to about chapter 8 before I gave up and my strategy hadn't changed much since maybe chapter 3. Watching the same overly elaborate run/shoot animations over and over got pretty old and I hardly ever took much damage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

I got to about chapter 8 before I gave up and my strategy hadn't changed much since maybe chapter 3. Watching the same overly elaborate run/shoot animations over and over got pretty old and I hardly ever took much damage.

I actually agree with you that the lower difficulty is too easy but even people who do the tutorial seem to critfail on the mechanics so I guess they erred on the side of caution. I don't think the game gets really fun until the higher difficulties where you have to actually use the mechanics effectively. Considering the complaints tend to end up more on "this game is too hard" even on the lowest difficulty though, I don't think that's the norm.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 19, 2013

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Right now my main complaint about ROF is that it expects me to level up all three weapon types equally, but I only have one SMG and grenades cost money.

And it actually took me until Chapter 4 to get the hang of positioning for tri-attacks (and also I had to figure out on my own that I could choose which character to primarily control during a tri-attack regardless of who initiates it - and it's critically important that your SMG user stack as many charges as possible between attacks) and I'm still not really good at getting bonus shots.

Dross fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 19, 2013

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

I actually agree with you that the lower difficulty is too easy but even people who do the tutorial seem to critfail on the mechanics so I guess they erred on the side of caution. I don't think the game gets really fun until the higher difficulties where you have to actually use the mechanics effectively. Considering the complaints tend to end up more on "this game is too hard" even on the lowest difficulty though, I don't think that's the norm.
Do you actually get to set the difficulty on a first playthrough? I really can't remember and fell into the same trap where my strategies never changed after chapter 3 or whatever. Basically the beginning was mildly challenging due to lack of those power ups (whatever they were called) and then that was it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Do you actually get to set the difficulty on a first playthrough? I really can't remember and fell into the same trap where my strategies never changed after chapter 3 or whatever. Basically the beginning was mildly challenging due to lack of those power ups (whatever they were called) and then that was it.

I honestly can't remember but I don't think so. They really should have let you pop a higher difficulty modifier from the start.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
I just got ROF and can confirm you can set your difficulty at the start of the game.

Only on Chapter 3 but still getting the hang of the combat system.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I see no such option in my game. I don't have any NG+ data or anything.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I suspect the reason you found the enemy power curve a vertical line is because you thought the gameplay was just "shoot guy while running" v:shobon:v

There's a lot you can do with positioning, equipment, arena manipulation and various other factors to massively weight the game in your favor.
Yeah see. That's not really a plus when you're expected to do that for every single battle in something with the usual high random encounter rate of a jrpg. It gets rather exhausting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zereth posted:

Yeah see. That's not really a plus when you're expected to do that for every single battle in something with the usual high random encounter rate of a jrpg. It gets rather exhausting.

Why so? Usually people complain when they just have to mash buttons to win battles.

Also the dungeons in RoF are pre-generated and each room contains a monster pack instead of random encounters. There are random encounters on the world map but they're generally pretty low-stress or they're optional bosses who are clearly marked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I loved RoF. Spinning through the air, breaking every piece of an enemy's armor, finishing off with a huge tri-attack (or whatever they were called) where people are just tearing everything apart, yes. The beginning is kind of a pain in the rear end, since you don't get another SMG for a little while. Additionally, I find a big problem with the game is that despite the option of having multiple weapon choices, you're forced into having two characters dual-wielding SMGs, otherwise you just can't do damage worth poo poo.

The plot is weird, because unlike so many other games, your characters aren't the focus of it. They aren't the chosen ones, they aren't swept into it as children, it's just something they kind of wander into. Problem is that they do this in the final two or three chapters of the game, after the plot has progressed already. Even then, I had to look on Wikipedia to find out what the heck was actually happening. I would've just preferred The Adventures of the Kick-rear end Mercenaries Club, personally, rather than try to shoehorn a jRPG-ish plot in there.

Also, the weapon customizing is awesome. Yes, this SMG has twenty barrels, half of which point down and at least one of which is pointed back at the shooter. Nothing wrong with that.