Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

He doesn't have a turbo motor, less parts to the puzzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Yakattak posted:

As someone who's had his fair share of coolant issues, I've had 1 blown upper hose, a thermostat and a radiator go. Unfortunately the hardest one to find immediately was the radiator because it only leaked under pressure. Subaru radiators are bound to leak. Also a fairly common place is the line from the turbo reservoir to the turbo but try to let your car idle and rev the motor up.

I've got a N/A, so no turbo reservoir. The radiator is a new Mishimoto as well as the hoses. I've got no current leaks, but no rad fans either.

Going to drive it around a bit to get it up to temp and see what's up.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

blargle posted:

Saw a Focus ST in the wild today, those suckers are quick. He easily tailed me from 30-80 mph as I was entering the freeway from a ramp, and I'm at about ~290whp. Subaru definitely has some stiff competition for their next gen.

That's likely because they are bone stock at ~230whp and ~270wtq. And cobb has an AP for them which raises tq by 18% on 87 octane. So like 320wtq at 2200 RPM...

Agent Adam
Sep 28, 2004
Brotherly Glove

jamal posted:

Yep, do that. The SPT part replaces all of the linkage parts, which doesn't seem worth it. I would suggest all the bushings while you're at it though. I think I could come up with a package of some sort.

So I was going to get bushings and I thought the cobb unit sounded good. I noticed that cobb uses urethane bushings compared to twm's metal ones. Would the urethane be just as good?

Agent Adam fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 18, 2013

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Quick question: 1997 Legacy Outback 2.5 - sometimes it is very difficult to get the shift lever into 1st or 2nd gear, or shifting it into gear is "clunky" or rattley. It doesn't feel like it's within the gearbox itself, but instead in the linkage? Like I have to "bump" the shifter over an obstacle to get it into 1st. This is from a stop, BTW, because I know getting it into 1st while moving is supposed to be difficult (though it does make a "whirring" noise if I try to force the lever into 1st while slowing down).

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

My guess would be the synchro's are worn out on those gears, with the car being that old it doesn't seem too surprising, you don't have this problem with any other gears?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Nope, 3rd, 4th, and 5th slot in pretty easily. It's just recently (today, even) that it got really hard to engage 1st, and 2nd is coming along the same way. The motor and transmission mounts are absolutely gone, as well. 175,000 miles, new clutch at 150k.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Might be worthwhile checking the fluid level while you're at it too. The 5 speeds tend to get tetchy when they're low in my experience.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 18, 2013

Agent Adam
Sep 28, 2004
Brotherly Glove
I'm no pro but the fact that it doesn't have trouble in the higher gears makes sense to me. Seems like more strain is put on the lower gears. I had a car with right around 600hp and I couldn't get into first without making a quick trip to second and it always helped to match rpms when shifting down to second. Don't know if that's helpful at all.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

If I can't get into first after declutching a couple of times, I hit reverse then it slides right in. This is probably anecdotal bullshit.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
I am picking up a new 3.6 outback tomorrow! What is the first thing I do to the funhog?

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

stevobob posted:

If I can't get into first after declutching a couple of times, I hit reverse then it slides right in. This is probably anecdotal bullshit.

That's how I did it in my old Mazda and my brothers 2001 ish outback limited. Always worked the other way round as well!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
As far as shifting goes, the difficulty depends on how much of a difference the syncros have to overcome. So trying to shift into 1st at 20mph when the input shaft needs to be spinning at something like 6000rpm isn't going to go so well. The easiest time to get into 1st is right before the car stops when everything is spinning at about the idle speed of the transmission. I just had my clutch fork break and that was the only way I could get into 1st. Thankfully there was enough slip for the car to not stall at a stop. Now I get to pull the transmission at some point soon to replace it.

Agent Adam posted:

So I was going to get bushings and I thought the cobb unit sounded good. I noticed that cobb uses urethane bushings compared to twm's metal ones. Would the urethane be just as good?

I believe the TWM still uses bushings and you need to put the stock ones into the shifter. The Cobb setup is neat in that you can adjust the height of the lever and the leverage ratio/throw length, but because of the way it's made the shifter knob will be offset a little farther back. Some people don't like it and I had one guy trade his because of it.

I've always been partial to this combo:

http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_7_481_499_1248&products_id=92

I have it minus the four u-joint linkage pieces because mine is older. Shifter feels really nice. Solid, no play, really direct feeling. Stiffer drivetrain mounts will also improve how the shifter feels because one end of the support for the shifter is attached to the chassis and the other end is on the transmission.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 19, 2013

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So we all agree that:

1: Shifting into 1st at a moderate pace should usually be difficult
2: Shifting into 1st at a stop is sometimes difficult for some cars but it depends on the car
3: If you have trouble shifting into 1st now whereas you didn't before, then the synchros are most probably bad
4: If you can get by with tricks like reverse -> 1st or slipping into 1st while crawling, then you're maybe okay but don't do it too long the transmission needs work eventually unless you're cheap maybe 'cause I have done that for awhile with my car but other people say it's bad okay then but I haven't had an issue who knows up to you man

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

burtonos posted:

I am picking up a new 3.6 outback tomorrow! What is the first thing I do to the funhog?

Clearly you need a roo-bar with about 6 hella driving lights.

Or you could go the other way and get some of those pink supertones and put them in the grille...

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

So we all agree that:

1: Shifting into 1st at a moderate pace should usually be difficult
2: Shifting into 1st at a stop is sometimes difficult for some cars but it depends on the car
3: If you have trouble shifting into 1st now whereas you didn't before, then the synchros are most probably bad
4: If you can get by with tricks like reverse -> 1st or slipping into 1st while crawling, then you're maybe okay but don't do it too long the transmission needs work eventually unless you're cheap maybe 'cause I have done that for awhile with my car but other people say it's bad okay then but I haven't had an issue who knows up to you man

On the older boxes, do not expect to be able to use first while the car is rolling unless your gingerly coming to a stop.

I think in 07 they did something so you can actually use first, but everything before that, just suck it up and stay in second until you are stopped or about to stop. It's a subaru thing. Nothing to worry about.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I had posted that I couldn't get into first even while stopped, though, and the behavior was new.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
You can double clutch pretty smoothly into first. It's not worth bothering though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
This thread has the memory span of a goldfish holy poo poo.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

ssjonizuka posted:

Clearly you need a roo-bar with about 6 hella driving lights.

Or you could go the other way and get some of those pink supertones and put them in the grille...

hella lights, hella horns, hella bar, hella lift?

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Geirskogul posted:

This thread has the memory span of a goldfish holy poo poo.

I would start with changing the fluid if it hasn't been done in 30,000 miles. It probably won't help, but having old fluid isn't going to help either.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slow is Fast posted:

I think in 07 they did something so you can actually use first, but everything before that, just suck it up and stay in second until you are stopped or about to stop. It's a subaru thing. Nothing to worry about.

In 06 they added triple cone synchros which I can personally attest don't really do much of anything.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I have to drill out the snapped off bolts for my Windshield wash bottle. Any idea what sized bit I should use?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

m8x1.25

Agent Adam
Sep 28, 2004
Brotherly Glove

jamal posted:

As far as shifting goes, the difficulty depends on how much of a difference the syncros have to overcome. So trying to shift into 1st at 20mph when the input shaft needs to be spinning at something like 6000rpm isn't going to go so well. The easiest time to get into 1st is right before the car stops when everything is spinning at about the idle speed of the transmission. I just had my clutch fork break and that was the only way I could get into 1st. Thankfully there was enough slip for the car to not stall at a stop. Now I get to pull the transmission at some point soon to replace it.

I believe the TWM still uses bushings and you need to put the stock ones into the shifter. The Cobb setup is neat in that you can adjust the height of the lever and the leverage ratio/throw length, but because of the way it's made the shifter knob will be offset a little farther back. Some people don't like it and I had one guy trade his because of it.

I've always been partial to this combo:

http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_7_481_499_1248&products_id=92

I have it minus the four u-joint linkage pieces because mine is older. Shifter feels really nice. Solid, no play, really direct feeling. Stiffer drivetrain mounts will also improve how the shifter feels because one end of the support for the shifter is attached to the chassis and the other end is on the transmission.

Thanks man. I do like the fact that cobb let's you decide how high up/down you want the lever and lets you adjust the throw as well but I'm looking into that combo you sent too. Good info!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah on one hand you can adjust it however you want, on the other hand once you set it the first time it probably won't change much. The throw on the KB is set to be shorter without being too short, which could make shifting harder and wear syncros out faster. You can add all the rest of the bushings to whichever lever you choose. Also you can get that stuff from me if you want.

Geirskogul posted:

I had posted that I couldn't get into first even while stopped, though, and the behavior was new.

You should look at the joints in the u-joint linkage. If they are gone then a lot of the force coming from the lever gets wasted. When I pulled mine apart (you have to drill out a rivet or buy an entire new one for about $80) one of the bushings was not even there. If you have a ton of play while the car is in gear that could be part of the problem. If you haven't changed the fluid in awhile that's also a good idea. A lot of people swear by Subaru extra-s but I haven't actually tried it.

Otherwise pulling the box and changing the syncros is something like 8-10 hours of labor and generally not worth it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Slow is Fast posted:

On the older boxes, do not expect to be able to use first while the car is rolling unless your gingerly coming to a stop.

Ummmm.... why on earth would you want to shift to first while moving?

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

There's a cocktail of fluids you can use to help with the 1st gear thing. It's called the AndrewTech cocktail and it works fairly well. I can grab 1st at around 15 MPH now. I don't usually let the clutch out but to those of you saying why would you want first if you're not stopped. Try going from 10 MPH up hill in 2nd on a turbo car. Your turbo spools to 8 PSI and you go nowhere.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

I've noticed a lot of people tend to do it for some reason, I guess to anticipate starting moving again after a stop sign. The other day I was helping troubleshoot a misfire in an EVO a local kid had just bought, and getting off the highway he put it into 1st at 20-30 while coming to a stop. A friend of mine used to do it too until I noticed and explained to him why it was bad.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Cat Terrist posted:

Because 5mph in 2nd is stall city. I have to shift into 1st all the time while crawling along in traffic. And I'll be damned if I'm going to come to a full stop just to shift into 1st so I can continue crawling along at idle.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Amandyke posted:

Because 5mph in 2nd is stall city. I have to shift into 1st all the time while crawling along in traffic. And I'll be damned if I'm going to come to a full stop just to shift into 1st so I can continue crawling along at idle.

So why arent you using the clutch to slip a little bit, you can use it in traffic. And dont tell me it'll wear out faster, that's not necessarily true at all. Our cars can handle that kind of shuffling along without undue wear and tear. Plus, a clutch is a lot cheaper than a gearbox.

quote:

I've noticed a lot of people tend to do it for some reason, I guess to anticipate starting moving again after a stop sign.

The only time I do it is in khanacross or rally and even then I would prefer not to. It's not good on the gearbox.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Live in a place with hills and get back to me about shifting into 1st while moving.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Live in a place with hills and get back to me about shifting into 1st while moving.

This. Plus having an Outback with a 2.2 litre engine.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I sometimes shift into first while moving. When I do shift into first, I do whatever that thing is where you put the stick in neutral, let out the clutch, blip the throttle, put in the clutch, and then shift so the shifter goes into place easy. Is it really that bad for the gearbox? I always thought that you were golden as long as everything felt smooth and you weren't riding the clutch too heavily.

How much can you ride the clutch before putting excessive wear on it?

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
Well, my engine is not blown! Good compression and leak down in all cylinders. The misfire above 5000rpm is still there, though.

I'm wondering if it's a crank position sensor issue.

Roman Rambo fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 20, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

That's good news. Misfire in just one cylinder? do you have the leakdown numbers? Which injectors and how old are the plugs?

powderific posted:

I sometimes shift into first while moving. When I do shift into first, I do whatever that thing is where you put the stick in neutral, let out the clutch, blip the throttle, put in the clutch, and then shift so the shifter goes into place easy. Is it really that bad for the gearbox? I always thought that you were golden as long as everything felt smooth and you weren't riding the clutch too heavily.

How much can you ride the clutch before putting excessive wear on it?

Double clutching, and yeah, that is the best way to get into 1st when you're moving. By revving the engine with the clutch out you spin up the input shaft, 1st gear, and syncros so they don't have to try to make up for a large speed difference.

Clutch wear really depends on how much load you are putting through it while it slips. So a gradual slip barely off idle in 2nd will be fine. Doing a high rpm launch in 2nd not so much.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Polymerized Cum posted:

This. Plus having an Outback with a 2.2 litre engine.

Even with the 2.5 I still do it all the time at 5-10mph going up hills, especially in stop and go traffic on a highway. I just double clutch it and it slips right in, hardly any force required at all. The only time it doesn't work is when it's cold out (<40F) and the transmission hasn't warmed up yet. Then it'll feel like rowing a box of gravel but it still goes in okay.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Mate, you just scored the best own goal of all time. I live in a place that has "Mountains" in it's name. A mountain range beats hill, dont you think?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Drove it today, and getting into first was fine while it was cold. After it warmed up, it started giving me grief. Pumping the pedal didn't seem to help. I'll change the fluid and put in the thicker cocktail; maybe it has something to do with thin or old gearbox oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

jamal posted:

That's good news. Misfire in just one cylinder? do you have the leakdown numbers? Which injectors and how old are the plugs?

I actually don't know what cylinder the misfire is in. Compression is 140psi in all 4, leakdown is 5-7% all cylinders. Injectors are ID 1100cc, plugs were changed 3 months ago.