Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...

brainSnakes posted:

I guess I clicked on the Mmo Hmo and then the Age of Wushi thread by mistake?

The grief stories from it are amazing, keep those up, but what the hell is like a page worth of balance talk doing here?

Beats the hell out of the pages of people arguing about what is or is not a grief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

brainSnakes posted:

but what the hell is like a page worth of balance talk doing here?
As my posts have shown, the game itself griefs its playerbase.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

Beats the hell out of the pages of people arguing about what is or is not a grief.
And pages of the same 'playing x game is griefing yourself' posts.

Jackard posted:

As my posts have shown, the game itself griefs its playerbase.
welp

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
A bunch of us just started playing UO again on a free shard. They've got a rule where thieves are not able to steal from other players until they've been playing for a week. They are still able to steal from monsters. You have to be unarmed to steal so doing it to a monster means you're going to be taking damage the whole time. Luckily if another player is fighting a monster you can just walk right up and take all the gold off it before it dies. If they get pissed and attack you, then they'll be flagged as murders.

I've taken to running away from powerful monsters while slowly emptying their pockets. By the time they have no treasure they're just about at the entrance of the dungeon ready to slaughter the low level people that are always hanging out there. If they band together and finally kill it, they get nothing for their troubles.

PegLegActual
Sep 11, 2001

Real Pirate. Real Amputee. Limping Through Life.
As requested, here is the chronicle of our battle.

The Battle of Balls Deep

I honestly couldn’t tell where my blood stopped and Grithok’s blood started. We exhausted ragtag few lay collapsed on the floor of our cavernous throne room. Although we were deep underground, we could still hear the clamoring of the Viet hordes above..shrieking in their singsong language as they butchered the wounded. I still wake at night beside Lucinda..my bangmaid..and hear those terrible voices raised in what seemed to be a celebration of impending victory. Have you ever stood shoulder to shoulder with a man and given each other a nod goodbye as strength failed you? I caught a glimmer in Grithok’s good remaining eye and we made our farewells. The footfalls were beginning to sound as the Asianic hordes pushed ever closer to our last bastion of hope.

“You bastards want to live forever?”. Krakatoah grimaced as he struggled to his feet. We clasped forearms. “Die well my brother”. RZA laughed at me. “See you in the next life you bastard”. Across the room we stood…staggered..crawled..to the doorway and prepared for our murdermake. Sadkitten limped over and propped herself upright by the doorframe. “We had a good run”. All I remember is the fanatical gleam in her eyes and the silky softness of her smile. Ahhhh even in his last moments, a warrior can take solace in the attention of a beautiful woman. Alas, I knew now I’d never be able to tell her how I felt. No house in the country with kittens running around. No long evenings of passionate maddened sex as we screamed together. I would always wonder about the feeling as I penetrated her quivering mound of love pudding with my purple headed warrior. No. Our destiny was to lie here forever in the dust as the little hordes carted away everything we’d fought so long to preserve. drat them all. We’d take a great many with us to hell.

GruTche called from the doorway as the savage cries grew louder. “They have a butter troll. Sanguine Moon is here!”. With the footfalls growing heavier and heavier, I truly finally understood the insanity of our plan. Who were we to challenge the greatest three armies ever known? We were merely a loose conglomeration of mutts…mercenaries who hailed from every walk of life. We’d die as fools..forgotten. Another forgotten enemy in the long and glorious tales of armies who had never known defeat. After all, tis victors who write the history books. I readied my blades and with a roar of defiance…we met our fate.

I shall always wonder what the enemy thought when they saw us emerge. Raving blood soaked berserkers from a bygone age…wounded in a hundred places yet staggering onwards with the resolute strength of madmen. Roaring defiance in the face of history and certain death, we came. Gods…so many of them. So many brothers lost to a nonstop tide of evil. I watched men I’d fought with for decades cut down to my left and right. Endlessly they came..wave after wave. In the end, we were surrounded. Oh how they laughed. How they pointed at our cheap weapons and ragged clothes. Their armor was infinitely better than ours. Their weapons gleamed with the patina of instruments lovingly and expensively cared for. Every single man of theirs was a veteran. Superbly armed. Worshipped as a god in their internet cafes.

What the Viets never understood was that we would never break, never bend, never surrender. Not for anyone. It was in their superiority that they made the mistake. You see, they had grown fat and complacent upon their bamboo throne. They made us suffer under the finely wrought silver of their boot heels…crushed us to die young under their fine weapons. They’d treated us like the peasants they assumed we were. Like feudal lords, they reveled upon fine horses drinking expensive wine while we toiled. It was with that attitude that their leader came upon us barricaded in that hallway deep underground.

“You have fought well this day, fellows. Why suffer on? There will be no glory in your sacrifice. Lay down your arms and accept the inevitable. Grithok, your men die on all sides yet you order them onward. Stop this madness and simply state that we are your better. A reasonable man MUST know when to admit defeat.”

When Grithok raised his craggy head, it was not haloed in pain and anger as we all expected. He laughed. He laughed long and hard..howling at fate. Spitting out a tooth, he smiled. “Who ever told you that we are reasonable men?”.

Grithok charged.

Epilogue- Grithok’s speech
“A thousand men may beset us upon all sides, Goons. They may have the best armor and weapons. They may have ranks and skills vastly superior to ours. However..in the end..they fight for themselves. Today we fended off a foe who should have defeated us easily. How do we yet stand? I’ll tell you. A Goon fights not for personal glory but to strike out at a world where play nice policies protect the weak. It is our belief…our bond..our drive to piss off every single other player in every single game we ever play. We will never yield. We will never bend. We will never break. Glory is our birthright. Forums rage our weapon. Tears and lamentations our armor. Our shield is a sneer. “

“FOR GOONDOM.”

Age of Wushu February 2013
Uncle Hater

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

More griefing stories, fewer stupid fanfics.

Got Moloko
Aug 23, 2011

Milk+

More awesome tales of victory, less poo poo posts.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Laowai posted:

I penetrated her quivering mound of love pudding with my purple headed warrior.

Uhh so you won a fight against overwhelming odds somehow?

Wushu sounds awesome though, a really fun game. Except for the love pudding. Nothing about that sounds nice.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It's not entirely a grief, as it's just something you're supposed to do, and we did it, but it did sort of make VietUnited mad, so I guess griefing success? :iiam:

Essentially, we had like 50 or so Vietnamese players and their allies charge our guild hall (Guild hall is a misleading term, really, it's more of a guild complex, it can take minutes to get from one place to another within it). We had around a hundred goons on, I believe.

The object of the invading players was to burn our structures, pillage our women (Yes, it is a thing), and destroy certain non-building structures in order to take our throne room. They failed miserably. At the end of the battle, not one building had been burnt. A few maidens had been abducted, but big whoop, what do we need maidens for.

VietUnited tried to claim a win by citing k/d ratio, and if you're only looking at that, yes, they did pretty well. Goons died by the scores. There was a constant stream of goons flooding out of the respawn point to rejoin the battle, deal a few hits, and die gloriously. Most goons had k/d ratios of something like 8/100. However, killing people wasn't the objective at all. In actually dealing with the objectives, VietUnited was disorganized, focusing mainly on being pro PvPers like all those guys that play sniper on CTF maps.

These guys used to be the preeminent guild on the server, too. People are beginning to notice the Mongoonian ***de a bit more now.

But there are much better griefing stories. Like how we rigged an election by running a smear campaign, or rigged another election by vomiting wine all over a candidate.

e: Actually they were the same election.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 5, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Dareon posted:

But there are much better griefing stories. Like how we rigged an election by running a smear campaign, or rigged another election by vomiting wine all over a candidate.

e: Actually they were the same election.

Well, what are you waiting for? :)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The dude that did it tells it better than me.

Archonex posted:

Also, I may have accidentally created a monster. You see, the current leader of the Wanderer's Valley school is kind of an asshat. His name is Bel, and it's been suggested that he might even be backed by Vietunited. So I figured loving with him a bit was in order.

His opponent, Jonathan, is actually pretty cool and spends most of his time drunk while beating the poo poo out of annoying players with a very large stick. So I figured i'd be his (unwanted) campaign adviser.

Now, for people unfamiliar with school voting, usually it's done without anyone giving a poo poo. Only two people can be voted on, and pretty much no one in most of the schools even knows how to do it. In fact, until I did what I did, it seemed like there weren't going to be many votes at all cast in the schools this week.

That changed when I made a few jokey Glenn Beck-esque posts on world chat about how Bel may have murdered a hooker in 1987. I then said that we couldn't be sure, but he wasn't replying to these terrible allegations, so obviously he must be hiding something. I then pointed out that his opponent, Jonathan, had never had any allegations of murdering a hooker leveled against him, and that by that logic he was the preferable candidate for WV members to vote on.

The votes for Jonathan spiraled upwards after I did this. Which I didn't actually expect to happen. So, um, oops? Apparently people take this poo poo really seriously when it's thrust in front of them.

Figuring I should just roll with it, I then made a few more humorous posts about how Bel may or may not be a complete monster who takes kickbacks from guilds like Vietunited in exchange for being their puppet. Several member's of Bel's guild, Carebears, suddenly tried to counter this by making rambling half translated posts on world chat that contained a mention of cats, hatred, flame, and other bizarre poo poo. Babelfish is a wonderful thing I guess.

Their rambling counter-posts didn't work. If anything, it got Jonathan even more votes. Bel stood at one vote (himself), and Jonathan stood at around 19 to 20 when I was done.

To top it all off, I got a few messages asking which hooker he murdered, where, and if I had pictures. So people actually took me seriously. :stonk:

But then it got better!. Apparently having him get kicked out of WV wasn't sitting well with the Viet guilds. So they decided it was time to consolidate to ensure they didn't lose any positions.

The Viet guilds finally translated what I posted, and are now bombing world chat with political advertisements at a worse rate than the gold spammers do. You literally cannot read say if you have world chat included, given that there's a poo poo-ton of posts per five minutes.

According to another goon, they're even saying to vote for Bel/other Viet backed candidates to show national and racial solidarity (Read: They don't want to lose their stranglehold on several school positions.) while calling their opponents racists. Opponents who have yet to actually post on world chat, and are pretty much just random players who give no shits at all about the Vietnamese guilds. Which is kind of creepy, actually.

I also noted that other schools have their own candidates basically running the equivalent of text based ads and political smear campaigns on world chat. Which I took a few screenshots of and may put up in the griefing thread, since I apparently just created a new era of gold spammer tier spammers.

The best part of this is that every world post costs 10 Liang. And people are burning hundreds of Liang to advertise for candidates. By joking around, I've literally turned this into a commercial affair that people are blowing multiple weeks of work on. Which is utterly hilarious.

So if it gets any worse, I guess you can blame me for turning the school position event into a US style political campaign. :v:

The puking incident was actually Plan B of a scheme. Someone decided that the best way to keep one person (I don't even remember who now) from getting a leadership post was to make sure they couldn't register for the election at all. The player was currently in jail, but would be getting out shortly before the election. So they needed to make sure they never reached the polls. :black101: I only caught snatches of this in guild chat and Mumble, but apparently they camped the jail exit and proceeded to carefully not kill the player, just constantly harrying them so they never had a moment to teleport away. If the player died, they'd be safe at a spawn point and could teleport straight to their school and register easily.

Eventually, a war of attrition being what it is, the target died, but there were only a few minutes left. Commence Operation Bacchus! The goons all teleported over to the school, and started vomiting wine all over the target as she got ready for some sort of tournament. This lead to a hilarious friendly-fire incident where one Beggar wound up puking several times all over the goon who had been poking him to build up stacks of the buff you need to vomit wine everywhere.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I love Age of Wushu.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Can someone repost some of the Dark/Demon's Souls stories? Now that I'm more familiar with the game/mechanics I think I'll appreciate them a lot more.

corpsedragger
Sep 2, 2012
What I liked to do in WoW was plant a blingtron 4000 (a one-per-four-hour engineering daily quest giver you can place in the world) on top of things that anyone who can't fly can't get to.
I used to do this a lot more before the nerf when every character on your account could get the daily (now it's only one character per account per day). By the way, the daily is just a bag of rewards that can range from cheap to expensive vendor trash and silly toys all the way to a super rare mount.
I'd go to the busiest towns in the Pandaria starting zone (usually Dawn's Blossom in Jade Forest) and place blingtron on top of a pagoda. I'd fly up a ways so the lowbies couldn't typically see me and I'd watch the hilarity. Sure enough people would see the little blue daily quest icon on their minimaps. They would spend the next 10 minutes scrambling on top of the nearby piled boxes and other objects trying to climb the pagoda. Very very few people ever managed to get to him. The first number of times I did this nobody could get up and I would laugh maniacally at their futile attempts.
I'm not sure what they thought was going on. When I first saw blingtron he could appear anywhere and I didn't realize that it was a player placing him somewhere. After getting some more interesting rewards I looked him up and saw he was an engineering reward. So I'm not entirely sure that everybody knew they were being griefed that early in the expansion when they couldn't get to him. Maybe they did, I don't know.
Eventually people did realize what was going on and they'd see me watching them up in the sky. There were a number of people who got really mad and said some very mean and creative things to me.
There were also those who managed to get to the top of the pagoda. My favourite was this one guy who got to the highest point around (the top of a tree on a higher level of the town) and used his engineering parachute to land right on top of the pagoda. I was so impressed I approached him and congratulated him on his achievement by giving him 5,000 gold.
I don't do it so much anymore since the nerf because most people have usually gotten the daily on their mains and there's no reason to jump through some rear end in a top hat's hoops to get it on a lowbie alt.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

World of Tanks is kind of hard to grief but I found a method about a month ago that is probably the most malicious thing you could do in that game. Unfortunately the nature of the grief means that you don't get more than the immediate reaction, but I can just assume their rage.

So WoT has a shitload of tanks, each with tier between 1 and 10; the higher the tier, the more powerful the tank. There's also a matchmaking system in place to make sure that most tanks only face opponents who are within two tiers of each other, meaning that a dinky tier 2 tank will never see a much more powerful tier 10 tank that could kill the former in a single shot. Whenever you platoon with someone (entering random battles as a group of up to 3), the matchmaking is determined by platoon-mate with the highest tier tank, so that tier 2 tank can get dragged into a high tier battle where it doesn't belong. Normally this means that platoons try to match tiers as much as possible, and occasionally someone in a game will get irate if a low tier tank is brought into a high tier match. Doing this can garner a few reactions, but mostly some guy will just teamkill you and the match continues as normal. Pretty low brow stuff by itself.

However, the game had a big problem with teamkilling in the past, so the game has a system where if a player shoots his own team long enough, his name turns blue, and the rest of the team can kill him without consequence. If he manages to kill someone after turning blue, he's temporarily banned, 24 hours for the first offense. There's a bit of leeway before turning blue to account for accidental shots, but that leniency doesn't exist if you kill or damage anyone who's in the flag capture circle, regardless of whether it's yours or the enemy's.

Sometimes I'll gather up a group of two other guys, two of us bring low tier tanks while the last brings a tier 10 tank, and as soon as the battle starts, both of us get in the cap circle as fast as possible and start shooting a high tier tank who seems the most obnoxious, since the idiots are the most likely to bite. Because our tanks are so terrible, most of our shots just bounce off their armor and cause nothing more than a mild inconvenience. Most people really hate low tier tanks in those battles though, and a large majority of them will stop and shoot one of us, immediately turning blue. The other guy then leaves the cap circle and basically just annoys the poo poo out of the mark: shooting out his tracks, blocking his path, doing anything to get the blue tank to kill him. Every time I've done this, if they kill one of us, they'll kill both of us. Once we're both dead, the high tier platoon-mate will kill the mark and we taunt them for the rest of the match. After they're done freaking out in chat, they exit the battle and are immediately booted to the login screen because they've been banned for 24 hours for teamkilling.

The best times are when we block people from special events, especially the ones that have a 5x experience bonus for the first battle of the day (this is a huge boon to people leveling tanks they hate playing), since these events usually only last a couple days and are pretty uncommon.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

corpsedragger posted:

There were also those who managed to get to the top of the pagoda. My favourite was this one guy who got to the highest point around (the top of a tree on a higher level of the town) and used his engineering parachute to land right on top of the pagoda. I was so impressed I approached him and congratulated him on his achievement by giving him 5,000 gold.
This is the kind of thing that turns a good grief into a great grief.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Since I've started to get pretty bored of Black Ops II, I've begun my usual late-game cycle of screwing around with the goofiest classes I can think of. Since the average kid playing Call of Duty on 360 takes the game way too seriously, you'll typically end up seeing entire teams based around the same few weapons, perk setups, equipment and play style.

One of the most common tactics used by the pro gamer crowd is to simply hide in a convenient corner with a silenced submachine gun. Conveniently, the game gives you an unprecedented amount of anti-camping gear that almost nobody uses. Cue a friend and I playing using perks that allow us to see enemy equipment through the walls, basically pointing out where any enemy players will be hiding. We each built a class that revolves around making us near immune to equipment (Flak Jacket, Hard Wired and Tactical Mask) and carrying assault shields. The assault shield is simply a large, bulletproof riot shield that is almost universally hated because it's slow, the area of coverage is quite tiny and it takes two melee hits to kill an opponent (whereas a regular knife is a one hit kill). What it does have going for it is that you can camouflage it solid gold and create an emblem that is prominently displayed on the front, making it hands-down the most hysterical way to beat someone to death.

We spent about an hour and a half running in tandem around the map like the world's smallest phalanx, trapping camping enemies into corners using golden shields with a pink heart and 'GAY MEN' emblazoned on the front. It got to the point where we would stop beating players to death, and simply box them in as long as we could before one of their teammates could shoot us in the back and rescue them. Camping teammates were also fair game, and had the advantage of letting us face shields outward (friendly fire is disabled in most modes), trapping them while also protecting them from being killed by enemies and respawning elsewhere. Their only recourse was to eat their own grenade, which meant losing their kill streak - an unthinkable alternative for many players. A young British gentlemen we had been harassing said it best as he ran from the two of us: 'Get away from me you fuckers, I don't want to go back to Gay Prison!'

Wild T fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 11, 2013

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Wanna do something even more fun? Switch to your secondary and turn around. They still can't kill you with the shield on your back, with the benefit of being able to defend yourself.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Wild T posted:

Since I've started to get pretty bored of Black Ops II, I've begun my usual late-game cycle of screwing around with the goofiest classes I can think of. Since the average kid playing Call of Duty on 360 takes the game way too seriously, you'll typically end up seeing entire teams based around the same few weapons, perk setups, equipment and play style.

One of the most common tactics used by the pro gamer crowd is to simply hide in a convenient corner with a silenced submachine gun. Conveniently, the game gives you an unprecedented amount of anti-camping gear that almost nobody uses. Cue a friend and I playing using perks that allow us to see enemy equipment through the walls, basically pointing out where any enemy players will be hiding. We each built a class that revolves around making us near immune to equipment (Flak Jacket, Hard Wired and Tactical Mask) and carrying assault shields. The assault shield is simply a large, bulletproof riot shield that is almost universally hated because it's slow, the area of coverage is quite tiny and it takes two melee hits to kill an opponent (whereas a regular knife is a one hit kill). What it does have going for it is that you can camouflage it solid gold and create an emblem that is prominently displayed on the front, making it hands-down the most hysterical way to beat someone to death.

We spent about an hour and a half running in tandem around the map like the world's smallest phalanx, trapping camping enemies into corners using golden shields with a pink heart and 'GAY MEN' emblazoned on the front. It got to the point where we would stop beating players to death, and simply box them in as long as we could before one of their teammates could shoot us in the back and rescue them. Camping teammates were also fair game, and had the advantage of letting us face shields outward (friendly fire is disabled in most modes), trapping them while also protecting them from being killed by enemies and respawning elsewhere. Their only recourse was to eat their own grenade, which meant losing their kill streak - an unthinkable alternative for many players. A young British gentlemen we had been harassing said it best as he ran from the two of us: 'Get away from me you fuckers, I don't want to go back to Gay Prison!'

You had me at solid gold with pink hearts. This reminds me of people talking about using Riot Shields in one of the old versions of Counterstrike to take people hostage on servers

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
I haven't tried it in Blops 2 yet, but goon teams vs. pubbies were able to successfully do this for 8 minutes and win a game in BO1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQnRHfU_QmQ

Basically this game type revolves around standing on points for 15 seconds to "capture" them, and then earning points based on holding flags. If an enemy is standing on a point, you can stand behind them and prevent them from capturing it. Thus, the above. The goal is to win a game without killing anyone, which is SHOCKINGLY difficult. The not killing part, not the winning. Pubbies are really terrible.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
http://themittani.com/media/mwo-clan-roleplaying-gone-wrong

I think this counts as goons griefing. Although I'm not convinced that people roleplaying Clanners aren't griefing the Mechwarrior community.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Fil5000 posted:

http://themittani.com/media/mwo-clan-roleplaying-gone-wrong

I think this counts as goons griefing. Although I'm not convinced that people roleplaying Clanners aren't griefing the Mechwarrior community.
I saw this originally in the Mechwarrior Online thread and it still makes me laugh.

Of course, the fun part is how goons have deliberately picked the most hated species in the game to be their "clan," thus making more Asperger's victims pop a cork than anything else in MWO.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Wild T posted:

'Get away from me you fuckers, I don't want to go back to Gay Prison!'

This is glorious and my blops-playing coworker and I have been giggling like idiots over it for a while. :v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CaptainJuan posted:

I haven't tried it in Blops 2 yet, but goon teams vs. pubbies were able to successfully do this for 8 minutes and win a game in BO1.

Basically this game type revolves around standing on points for 15 seconds to "capture" them, and then earning points based on holding flags. If an enemy is standing on a point, you can stand behind them and prevent them from capturing it. Thus, the above. The goal is to win a game without killing anyone, which is SHOCKINGLY difficult. The not killing part, not the winning. Pubbies are really terrible.

I love how he pulls out a RC-car killstreak at the end and immediately gets blown up.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

CaptainJuan posted:

The ending of this video took it from "funny" to "downright hilarious".

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

RatHat posted:

I love how he pulls out a RC-car killstreak at the end and immediately gets blown up.

He's in control of the RC car, and he's the one who detonates it. He undoubtedly thought that the goon was standing right behind him, and was hoping to catch the goon in the blast. Of course, the goon was smart enough to back away, which means that all the dude did was kill himself. It's loving brilliant.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

So I'd like to share with you yet another Age of Wushu story, about how we took over a school and utterly broke the minds of the current leadership.

Every sunday, at 21:30, there is a School Meeting. What a School Meeting is is a small scale tournament where players fight amongst each other to earn the right to challenge the incumbent leaders of a school to take their positions. It's split up into a qualifying round, where all the newcomers kill each other until the 3 top killers progress, then a fight to determine the current Deacons (lowest rung), Elders (second rung) and Headmaster (highest rung) of the school. In theory, it's supposed to let the strongest and smartest players rise in power to the top, but in practice it's a massive circlejerk where the "shadow government" alliance and their puppets control everything.

Goons, in our magnanimous glory, decided we wanted to retake the Wanderer's Valley school for the people. The current leadership was an incestuous group of VietUnited members with various lackeys from SanguineMoon (which you may recognize as the guild whose house we took) and other guilds. Realizing that if we attempted a fair fight we'd lose horribly to the power of the circlejerk, we took it upon ourselves to stack the odds a little in our favour. I spent a week asking around the goon guilds and our allied guilds to find people who had current leaders on their Enemy list. When you're enemies with someone, you can upgrade your status with them to Blood Enemy. If a Blood Enemy has any amount of infamy, you can place a bounty on them without them having to kill you, then if a constable kills them, their bounty is collected and they're sent to prison for 10 minutes per 5 Liang spent. Finally on the last day I found three people who had 4 of the leaders on their Enemy list - eyestorm and Bel, both Deacons of Wanderer's Valley, and Jinhu-Morute and MaChaoShu, both Elders of Wanderer's Valley.

An hour and a half before the School Meeting began, I formed a task force of goons to take out primary targets, consisting of Bigbo, JackDaRipper, ShuujiKurosu, HyC and myself (Baibao). We began tracking down eyestorm, since he was our absolute biggest threat to a complete goon takeover. I found him at his base, and as everyone was converging on his position, he teleported away to another city. We were forced to follow him to Yanjing, the original GoonTown, where we scoured the map for 10 minutes looking for him but never finding him. Someone took a look at his location using the search function, and found out he'd gone to Chengdu, the trade hub of the game. Again we were forced to teleport to the town, and began stalking him. We snuck around on rooftops, rode by on horseback looking nonchalant, and generally trying to be as ninja stalker as we possibly could. Eventually he rode down a side-path and vanished into thin air, which freaked us out, figuring he knew what was up and was going to hide out until the beginning of the Meeting. Teleporting back to Suzhou for one final attempt, we snuck over the mountains and got in behind their base, hiding in the forest behind a log until we saw him. I told HyC to put the bounty on him, 90L for a 3 hour prison sentence. HyC informed me it couldn't be done, that he didn't have any infamy, which means we were hosed. But HyC and JackDaRipper had a brilliant plan - bring two naked alts and start randomly punching people until eyestorm got mad and killed someone. It worked, eyestorm went orange, and we put the bounty on him. I can only imagine what he was thinking when 4 goons came soaring out of the treetops, landed on his head and proceeded to instantly kill him before flying off.

With eyestorm down, we decided to go for an opportunity target. Earlier we'd seen Jinhu-Morute running carts with other members of SanguineMoon and allies in a ball of 6 or 7 people, and luckily for us, her name was orange. We staked out the road until we saw their cart group passing over a bridge, then told Bigbo to throw a 90L bounty on her as well while ShuujiKurosu and I ran across the water underneath to waylay her. Again, a group of 4 goons materialized out of nowhere in the center of their group, singling out and killing Jinhu before she had any time to react beyond a half-hearted airdash, then we immediately dove into the river and swam away. With a Deacon and an Elder taken care of, we were more or less free to take over the school at our leisure.

Immediately after this, school chat exploded. eyestorm began yelling to the other school leaders to avoid goons, to not attack goons, to run from goons, to not retaliate if goons attack. Jinhu-Morute was basically crying, saying that we were abusing glitches to put her in jail and that there was no way she could possibly have had any infamy. Ares, then a Deacon, began threatening us and telling us that we were going to be banned for exploiting and that he was on the phone with Snail Games LLC about our glitch abuse. And the leaders were all spamming chat constantly to try to get all players to waste half a week's worth of school tokens to buy their way into the competition "to gently caress goons out of leadership". All this accomplished was alerting Magnum-Opus to a potential power grab and enticing a few enterprising individuals to try to worm their way in as well. It ballooned the qualifying round from a fight that typically involved 5 people to a complete clusterfuck of 18 people. 9 goons and allies, 6 Magnum-Opus and 3 independants.

The fighting was a hell of a lot harder than we thought it was going to be - 10 minutes with the lowest ranked fighters booted out every minute, and with a third of the members hostile to goons. We only managed to get 2 goons through the qualifier, Feedz and myself, with an independant, PoohBoy, alongside us. Bel, one of the Deacons, had decided to give up their position and didn't show up to the fight, leaving it as a 2v1v1 between us, Ares and PoohBoy. Since you only need 3 survivors to move on, Feedz and I just converged on Ares and killed him in about 10 seconds, immediately ending the fight. At this point PoohBoy bugged out and wasn't able to join the Elder fight, which while bad for him, was excellent for us. The Elder fight was a 2v2 between goons, hinko and MaChaoShu. We focused hinko down and killed him in under 3 seconds, sweeping us off to the Headmaster battle. This was pretty much just for show at this point, since it was a 2v1 versus MaChaoShu. The fight lasted about 30 seconds before he was dead, then me and Feedz dueled and it predictably ended in me being completely stunlocked to death in 10 seconds.

After the fight ended, the old leaders went ballistic as gently caress. eyestorm began screaming in chat, threatening to bring his big brother to beat me up. Jinhu-Morute just went silent, refusing to speak to anyone at all. Ares, having been ousted with eyestorm from any form of power, went completely insane and began trying to kill every single Wanderer's Valley he saw, breaking up Team Practices, and screaming racial slurs nonstop in chat. The leaders tried desperately to keep Jonathan, an AWOL incumbent who did not want the leadership position and whom they'd been trying to oust the week previously (and failed to due to goon intervention), in power. They failed, badly.

In the end, goons took power. Feedz is now the headmaster of Wanderer's Valley, with me sitting in one of the three Elder positions. A violently unaffiliated merchant controls one of the Deacon positions, an Elder who has given up on his position and two Deacons who can and will be easily ousted in the next week. Wanderer's Valley is no longer a puppet government, but an anarchist state, all for the glory of goon.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
That sounds less like griefing and more like the best game ever designed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Corbeau posted:

When you log into the game, there's a warning popup window that essentially warns that you will likely die horribly and violently. So it's both really. :getin:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Corbeau posted:

Tell me you have screenshots of the post fight meltdowns, please?

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Way back in the day in 1999 when my brother and I were in junior high, we used to play Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight online and grief the poo poo out of people. You played the game online through... The Zone, I think it was called? Whatever it was, it had next to no anti-cheating measures, and a bunch of the poo poo was client-side, so you could install modded files in your directory and you'd never get in trouble. They were .cog files, so people called it "cogging."

At some point, we got bored of playing the game normally but since we were broke and in junior high, we couldn't buy a new one, so we started browsing cog files looking for weird ones and used them to gently caress with people. Cogging wasn't all that widespread at the time, and most of the people you played with had no idea what you were doing when you did it.

The first time we tried it, it was using a pretty basic file that let you fly around. My brother was playing with it first and didn't do anything obvious until he got in a protracted lightsaber fight with some guy, and flew away as soon as the other guy started winning. The guy he was fighting couldn't believe his eyes, and asked my brother how he was doing that. My brother told the guy to meet him at the highest point in the level, which was a big-rear end cliff right in the middle, and he would teach him the secret. The guy met him there, and my brother told him he's got to run as fast as he can and jump off the cliff, and proceeded to demonstrate. The guy gave it a shot and plummeted to his death. He started getting mad, but my brother told him he wasn't going off at the proper angle. Cue about a dozen more attempts of the poor bastard trying his best to follow my brother's exact footsteps and dying every time.

My personal favorite was the shapeshifting cog, which would change your player model into the model of anything you used Force Pull on. This includes the other team. I'd transform into one of them when they weren't looking, "teamkill" the other guy and run away, then rinse and repeat until they gave up and started attacking one another on sight. The other time I used it was to camp the walkway at the bottom of the Cloud City map. There was a Concussion Rifle that spawned down there(hard-hitting gun with a big knockback, as the name suggests), and you'd die if you fell off. I'd turn myself into a Concussion Rifle, then pick up the real Rifle and slowly rotate on top of its spawn point like all items did. Anytime somebody came down to the walkway and tried to pick me up, I'd scurry away, turn around, and shoot them off the walkway.

Other players would flip the gently caress out and ask what just happened, and I'd spin retarded stories in chat about how Cloud City was built on top of an Indian burial ground while I waited for my next victim.

TheIncredulousHulk fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 19, 2013

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

My personal favorite was the shapeshifting cog, which would change your player model into the model of anything you used Force Pull on. This includes the other team. I'd transform into one of them when they weren't looking, "teamkill" the other guy and run away, then rinse and repeat until they gave up and started attacking one another on sight. The other time I used it was to camp the walkway at the bottom of the Cloud City map. There was a Concussion Rifle that spawned down there(hard-hitting gun with a big knockback, as the name suggests), and you'd die if you fell off. I'd turn myself into a Concussion Rifle, then pick up the real Rifle and slowly rotate on top of its spawn point like all items did. Anytime somebody came down to the walkway and tried to pick me up, I'd scurry away, turn around, and shoot them off the walkway.

Other players would flip the gently caress out and ask what just happened, and I'd spin retarded stories in chat about how Cloud City was built on top of an Indian burial ground while I waited for my next victim.

This,

This is the funniest short grief I've read all thread. Sure, long cons have their charm but sometimes you just want a short simple bit of fuckery and this provides in spades just thinking about it.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Way back in the day in 1999 when my brother and I were in junior high, we used to play Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight online and grief the poo poo out of people. You played the game online through... The Zone, I think it was called? Whatever it was, it had next to no anti-cheating measures, and a bunch of the poo poo was client-side, so you could install modded files in your directory and you'd never get in trouble. They were .cog files, so people called it "cogging."

At some point, we got bored of playing the game normally but since we were broke and in junior high, we couldn't buy a new one, so we started browsing cog files looking for weird ones and used them to gently caress with people. Cogging wasn't all that widespread at the time, and most of the people you played with had no idea what you were doing when you did it.

The first time we tried it, it was using a pretty basic file that let you fly around. My brother was playing with it first and didn't do anything obvious until he got in a protracted lightsaber fight with some guy, and flew away as soon as the other guy started winning. The guy he was fighting couldn't believe his eyes, and asked my brother how he was doing that. My brother told the guy to meet him at the highest point in the level, which was a big-rear end cliff right in the middle, and he would teach him the secret. The guy met him there, and my brother told him he's got to run as fast as he can and jump off the cliff, and proceeded to demonstrate. The guy gave it a shot and plummeted to his death. He started getting mad, but my brother told him he wasn't going off at the proper angle. Cue about a dozen more attempts of the poor bastard trying his best to follow my brother's exact footsteps and dying every time.

Jedi Outcast was the same. People actually developed the morphing thing to where you could pick your model in console. You could make your model match anything. Including world geometry.

Yes. Read that again. World geometry.

So there I sat with noclip on, force powers set to 11, pretending to be the enemy's flag capture point. Force push would fling people across the map and force grip you could swing them around like you do stormtroopers in the single player game again letting you toss people a hundred yards or into pits.

Then there was the time I turned my model into a Rancor yet somehow retained my normal hitbox. Which meant to kill me you had to shoot the empty space between the rancor's legs. No one figured this out, they all just poured fire into the thing's 10 foot tall torso, above my head, where it passed straight through harmlessly. I terrorized a server for a good while with that. The rancor even did force power animations. Rancor force choke was hilarious.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Corbeau posted:

That's honestly my favorite part about this game. There's so much to be done to grief pubs through completely legitimate in-game mechanics. My own (much less awesome and sweeping) story was of a simple brawl. I was getting a group ready to run an instance, some guy who has an e-honor bone to pick with me tried to gank me with a friend. One of my guys jumps in, we trash them. They come back with more dudes and kill us and corpse camp us as best they can, but soon get bored and leave. I find one of them and kill him again, because gently caress him.

He puts a bounty on my head - small, but money is money - so after I run my instance, I go to a safe spot, log in my alt that can hunt bounties, and kill myself, springing up a global message "The criminal known as Magres. has been captured by Magres..!" I then get an angry PM from sir pubbelorde about what a cheap bastard I am for harvesting my own bounty.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
We tried a similar thing in Beggar's Sect, but there were only two of us who showed up on time and I ended up getting hit with the same bug as PoohBoy downing it to one, so it didn't go nearly as well. We did however manage to piss everyone off by Free for Alling in a Free for All match instead of segregating into duels chosen by the school leaders, get a member of our ally guild Shinobi into a Deacon spot and oust the Viet leader and get him and his allies in the school to declare goons and allies KOS(Not that they've actually followed through on the threat). I'm not sure if it's funnier if they thought they were actually convincing anyone that 1v1s chosen by the school leader was fairer than the game's actual rules or if they actually believed it themselves.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Even from a ~~*RPing*~~ perspective the ability to really be an evil manipulator in a faction of evil manipulators just feels right. I'd totally get in on that poo poo if I had the time :(

CAPSLOCKGIRL
Jul 21, 2011

I actually just hold down the Shift key.
I'm an Australian, and for the past however many years, I've been playing the heavily censored version we got of L4D2, where zombies disappear instead of taking damage, and when they run through fire, they don't catch fire, they simply begin to act like they're in a rave, before suddenly expiring. But apparently they kept all the content in the game files instead of deleting it and just changed the code a little, and today I discovered a utility (I had never looked before) that unlocks all the locked content.

Then I discovered the fantastic slashed up zombie models when you kill a zombie with a bladed weapon, like a machette or a katana.

Now I almost exclusively use melee weapons (As soon as I can get my hands on a good one), much to the chagrin of my team-mates. What makes it worse for them is that I've become pretty good at it and can hold off hordes of zombies in random horde events or when someone gets boomed, I never have to run for ammo in finales, I've always got plenty for the Tanks or Special Infected... people are always getting mad at me for playing the game the 'wrong' way, then I'm saving their rear end.

Am I griefing, or am I having to much genuine fun while playing, because of the game, to be griefing?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

CAPSLOCKGIRL posted:

I'm an Australian, and for the past however many years, I've been playing the heavily censored version we got of L4D2, where zombies disappear instead of taking damage, and when they run through fire, they don't catch fire, they simply begin to act like they're in a rave, before suddenly expiring. But apparently they kept all the content in the game files instead of deleting it and just changed the code a little, and today I discovered a utility (I had never looked before) that unlocks all the locked content.

Then I discovered the fantastic slashed up zombie models when you kill a zombie with a bladed weapon, like a machette or a katana.

Now I almost exclusively use melee weapons (As soon as I can get my hands on a good one), much to the chagrin of my team-mates. What makes it worse for them is that I've become pretty good at it and can hold off hordes of zombies in random horde events or when someone gets boomed, I never have to run for ammo in finales, I've always got plenty for the Tanks or Special Infected... people are always getting mad at me for playing the game the 'wrong' way, then I'm saving their rear end.

Am I griefing, or am I having to much genuine fun while playing, because of the game, to be griefing?

Your teammates are idiots and you should keep on keeping on.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
If you're not playing on expert, do whatever. If you're playing on expert and can pull it off... do whatever there too (melee is really fun and tense on expert, actually). If there's any griefing, it's the purest self-griefing on the part of your teammates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Melee was hilariously broken in the first L4D despite it just being an alt-fire for your main weapon, since you could pile every survivor into one corner forming a horrible, Shiva-like monstrosity that flailed wildly with a gun-butt with one set of arms while the other six fired with impunity at the Zombie hordes desperately trying to get past your impenetrable rifle-shield.

And that's why we now have Spitters.

• Locked thread