Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

MisterBibs posted:

I just realized the hard way that buying Rifftrax Live of Plan 9 and the 3-Riff VOD version of that movie run off the same scripts. Durp. :smith:

edit: wrong smith.

vvv: No idea.

Yeah, it annoying when that happens. I avoided buying a lot of their "Re-Riff on Legends" titles they put out to avoid a double dip. Granted I did buy the Birdmic Live Show even after buying the mp3 to use on the Netflix Instant Stream version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Golbez posted:

I was never in to MST3K when it was on TV, so forgive me if this is a stupid question: How did "cutting the puppetry and going audio only" open up new films? Were there films that didn't mesh with their previous format, and how was that previous format so different?

Well my specific point on the puppetry was that the only way you're going to see the puppets is if you overlay them on the video. That would have to mean that they would have to deliver the movie with the commentary. Loosing the puppets meant they could send the audio only. And then that would fix the rights thing that other people answered before me.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

...or psycho movie execs (see: Sandy Frank)

Even though Sandy Frank's death grip on the Gamera films (amongst others) ended, it would have been nearly impossible for the MST3K versions to be released. Luckily, Legend Films got the rights to the Gamera series. And who does Mike work for? Yep, Legend Films.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Newest VoD is out and it's that deeply deserves being riffed on.

Cool as Ice

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

quote:

Despite the lack of Ronis, Cool As Ice is still one of the finest looking bad movies of all time. This is because the director of photography went on to do the cinematography for films such as Schindler’s List, Saving Private Ryan and Lincoln. That’s right, a mere three years after Janusz Kaminski made sure that Vanilla Ice’s Stussy shirt was properly lit during the construction site frolicking scene, he was finding the right lens to shoot Liam Neeson’s “I could have got more” speech in Schindler’s List.
Holy :stare:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Listen to the How Did This Get Made podcast on Cool as Ice with guest star Vanilla Ice. Lots of fun stories about the making of the film.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Wow that's a hell of a get for Rifftrax! Downloading as soon as I get home.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Goddamn it, they had to release this the day before I got paid. Instabuy tomorrow morning.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Is this their first VOD with an HD option?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Wiseblood posted:

Is this their first VOD with an HD option?

Yeah, but when I was looking up the Rifftrax Live page to see if Manos is coming they mentioned a HD verison of the Birdmic show coming.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Rirse posted:

Yeah, but when I was looking up the Rifftrax Live page to see if Manos is coming they mentioned a HD verison of the Birdmic show coming.

And yet they've stopped producing blurays :(

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Just finished Cool As Ice, some good riffs in there, probably one of their best recent ones, it's no Guy From Harlem though.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Kojiro posted:

Just finished Cool As Ice, some good riffs in there, probably one of their best recent ones, it's no Guy From Harlem though.

Give me TWO REASONS! Just TWO REASONS!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rirse posted:

I didn't even know that they weren't offering that. I haven't watched it yet since I saw it in theaters and have other movies to watch first, but I hope that I can download the HD version without a problem. I can't imagine it being a problem, but still.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Kojiro posted:

Guy From Harlem or Cool As Ice? Which to buy, which to buy? :ohdear:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Ghostpilot posted:

Haven't seen Cool as Ice, but you GOTTA get Guy from Harlem.

It's like Pod People/Space Mutiny levels of good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ghostpilot posted:

Guy From Harlem may be peak Rifftrax. If not, it's close. It's a literal must own.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Deadpool posted:

Guy From Harlem may be peak Rifftrax. If not, it's close. It's a literal must own.

Even more insane then Buffalo Rider?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I think the first half or so of Buffalo Rider is better than anything from Guy From Harlem but GFH is just really consistent throughout. Get both dude don't be a wuss.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Guy From Harlem is just an endearingly misguided and low-budget blacksploitation film, it's not nearly as insane or ethically questionable as Buffalo Rider. The magic to the movie is how it wants so badly to be cool and titillating, but just winds up breaking down at every turn.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Guy From Harlem is easily my favourite rifftrax, it's a 100% must-buy. Everyone I've shown it to ends up actually crying with laughter at Mr Twoooo Reasons.

FrensaGeran posted:

Get both dude don't be a wuss.
Yeah, this.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
The magic of Buffalo Rider is how hard it tries to deliver the "People who kill for money are evil!" message, and yet ruins it by featuring so much animal death and suffering in a single movie.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I love Cool As Ice but you MUST see Guy From Harlem. I love his taste for burnt steaks and terrible liquor.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Think I will grab Cool as Ice and Guy From Harlem this week. Maybe a third VoD, depends if they put another coupon out or whatever.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Guy From Harlem is just an endearingly misguided and low-budget blacksploitation film, it's not nearly as insane or ethically questionable as Buffalo Rider. The magic to the movie is how it wants so badly to be cool and titillating, but just winds up breaking down at every turn.

It's like if Shaft had a 5 year old brother that wants to be like him:

I know that being cool means alcohol stuff and a woman in your bed doing something! So here's a scene of me drinking J&B Liquid poo poo while a woman wearing a snuggie reads a magazine and I'm in my hideous oversized tighty whities because that's kinda what my 5 year old mind thinks adult bed stuff is.

And I know Karate! *throws a really awkward kick* *falls down*

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I'm halfway through the Guy from Harlem now and holy poo poo.

:byodood:: "NOBODY EVER SEES HIM!"

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rirse posted:

Think I will grab Cool as Ice and Guy From Harlem this week. Maybe a third VoD, depends if they put another coupon out or whatever.

They just did one for Valentine's day, so it might be a while before another one comes around.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Haha, oh man, more movies need to end like the Guy from Harlem. Thanks for the recommendation guys, that was glorious!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Ghostpilot posted:

I'm halfway through the Guy from Harlem now and holy poo poo.

:byodood:: "NOBODY EVER SEES HIM!"

Harry deBauld(sp?) may be my favorite character in anything ever.

Crudeboy
Jun 1, 2010
Finally got around to framing this little booger today. Figured I'd share.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Ghostpilot posted:

Haha, oh man, more movies need to end like the Guy from Harlem. Thanks for the recommendation guys, that was glorious!

I find myself humming the 'Look at them boats' tune in the shower with upsetting frequency. It is a true masterpiece of Riff.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Gonna pull into traffic safely
After signaling
Uh!
Guy from Harlem

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Vanilla Ice: gently caress you Affirmative Action.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Well, never watched Cool as Ice before, and less than 10 minutes into it I'm certain that I have a complete expression of :what: permanently etched on my face.

God drat you, Van Winkle.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Harry deBauld(sp?) may be my favorite character in anything ever.

"I would kill a man to hear Harry's end of this conversation."

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Just finished it. I was like 5 or 6 when this came out and I'm suddenly really glad I don't remember this part of the 90s.

The movie felt like it was shot like an ad, and looking up the director, I get why. David Kellogg's mostly got ads to his name - and Inspector Gadget, which also has the exact same problems with choppy editing, bizarre camera angles, and a feeling that's less trying to use a camera to forward a narrative and more to sell an unspecified product.

Oh, also, not cool ripping off The Wild Ones. Ice, you are no Brando.

Might have to check out the How Did This Get Made now...

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
What is it about Cool as Ice that renders me unable to watch it for longer than 10 minutes at a time? The riffing is amazing (the Mario 3 segment alone makes it worth the 10 bucks), but the movie itself is just painful.

edit: gently caress you, autocorrect.

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 22, 2013

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Frankly, I only got through it because I had something else to do at the time. It's largely just boring as hell.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I found myself strangely intrigued by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I love how Vanilla Ice just "dances" alone to no music outside that weird couples house for longest time.

Yep Yep.

• Locked thread