Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e:^^^ Dugdale adopting Alice and walking off into the sunset is positive at least.

Bland posted:

Arbys pretty dead mate, sorry

We never actually saw him get killed. If the writers decide that they want him to have escaped from the burning warehouse, plot magic can provide a solution.

jazzyhattrick fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

jazzyhattrick posted:

We never actually saw him get killed. If the writers decide that they want him to have escaped from the burning warehouse, plot magic can provide a solution.

Well we never saw Letts die either but they were both implied to die rather heavily

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
but letts is an old guy about to be strangled by a much younger fitter guy. Arby is a soulless killer in a burning building surrounded by an unknown number of assailants, things don't look great for him, but he can probably murder his way out of trouble if he needs to. I'm not saying he isn't gone for good but I'd be very surprised if they went ahead with series 2 without retaining such a popular character.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

jazzyhattrick posted:

e:^^^ Dugdale adopting Alice and walking off into the sunset is positive at least.

I did think of that, but seems to me like the Network would want to get rid of loose ends like that.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
The Utopia ending was pretty fantastic...as long as a 2nd series happens.

Also, whoever suggested that Arby opening for Series 2, I'm now going to be disappointed if anything other than that happens.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Well, Utopia was brilliant.

McDragon posted:

I loving hate endings like that. everything was a big waste of time and the baddies win, gently caress you!

This seems like you missed the meat of the plot. They made a pretty convincing argument for it being the 'good' guys who won. Which isn't to say it's not a grim ending.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

That latest Black Mirror is loving insufferable. I'm good with dark, disturbing stuff, but this was just irritating. How could they expect anybody to watch to the end after thirty solid minutes of one character crying?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i thought it was magic.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Mescal posted:

That latest Black Mirror is loving insufferable. I'm good with dark, disturbing stuff, but this was just irritating. How could they expect anybody to watch to the end after thirty solid minutes of one character crying?
Like how that guy outside the room had to sit and wait for literally 30 solid minutes of one character crying? Hahaaaa.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I'm a bit worried about my sister.....

I'm #12, she's #2, my Dad is #1.

We have come to the conclusion that she must mean Screenwipe.....right?!?!?

BTW, I haven't watched Utopia yet so I appreciate the spoiler tags! Not often I can say that :)

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Utopia just made me annoyed. Here's a twist! Oh, another twist! Mr Rabbit was...him! *dramatic chord* No it wasn't! *chord* She burned the manuscript! *chord* It didn't matter! *chord*

It was obnoxious. The whole thing was just pointless.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Noreaus posted:

Utopia just made me annoyed. Here's a twist! Oh, another twist! Mr Rabbit was...him! *dramatic chord* No it wasn't! *chord* She burned the manuscript! *chord* It didn't matter! *chord*

It was obnoxious. The whole thing was just pointless.

I agree. At least the horrible threats to family members were dialled down a bit.

I still find it hilarious that nobody brings up a counter argument to that forced sterility plan. Nobody thought to say "what if it goes wrong and everyone is sterilised?" or "won't this cause massive upheaval and reprisals against the few who are fertile?" or "hang on, what happens when there are billions of old people and only a couple of young to support them?".

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Plucky Brit posted:

"hang on, what happens when there are billions of old people and only a couple of young to support them?".

Well except Donaldson did literally exactly that in episode 5. Hence why he was so focused on getting rich before it all went down.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plucky Brit posted:

I agree. At least the horrible threats to family members were dialled down a bit.

I still find it hilarious that nobody brings up a counter argument to that forced sterility plan. Nobody thought to say "what if it goes wrong and everyone is sterilised?" or "won't this cause massive upheaval and reprisals against the few who are fertile?" or "hang on, what happens when there are billions of old people and only a couple of young to support them?".

The premise of a work of fiction is somewhat ridiculous? Well colour me outraged!

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Mescal posted:

I don't know, I think directors are too keen to make characters look like they have their poo poo together in a completely unrealistic way. If I were put in that situation I'm pretty sure I'd be doing a lot of screaming too.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Zythrst posted:

Well except Donaldson did literally exactly that in episode 5. Hence why he was so focused on getting rich before it all went down.

Sure, but I think it's naive to think that money will make much of a difference in what is essentially economic and cultural armageddon.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Mescal posted:

The thing is, the typical arc is that the character starts taking charge at some point but that would have negated the twist somewhat if she was actually adapting, not regressing.

Russ
Dec 17, 2005

Chimping around, kick my brains round the floor
These are the days - it never rains but it pours
I noticed during the Utopia credits that it mentioned "Development financed by British Sky Broadcasting". Was this originally meant as a Sky series that got sold to Channel 4 or something? Please take into consideration if you are a British TV production expert and understand how these things work that I am not a British TV production expert and I do not understand how these things work and your answer to my question should be worded to be understood by someone who is 12 years old (i am literally a child irl)

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Quite pleased by the ending of Utopia. I was expecting a full Brazil-style ending, along the lines of The Last Enemy or The Shadow Line, but was pleasantly surprised. Not that I wanted a lovely "hooray, they win and now everyone goes home for tea and scones and lives happily ever after" ending, which would have been just as unsatisfying. No, having Mr Rabbit win but leaving most of the protagonists alive to continue fighting was a pretty good compromise between the two.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
They literally will have put some money into it in return for.... "something" - whether that be repeat rights, or just the act of getting their name on it for the prestige.

I would imagine Mahmoud Ahmadinejad would know more.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Russ posted:

I noticed during the Utopia credits that it mentioned "Development financed by British Sky Broadcasting". Was this originally meant as a Sky series that got sold to Channel 4 or something? Please take into consideration if you are a British TV production expert and understand how these things work that I am not a British TV production expert and I do not understand how these things work and your answer to my question should be worded to be understood by someone who is 12 years old (i am literally a child irl)

I'm not 100% but I beleive that Development Finanace means that the writers/production company went to Sky with the idea, theSky commissioners gave them an advance to turn it into a full script, maybe even a pilot but in the end didn't want it as a full series. Then they shopped around what they had?

That's my guess.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Speaking of Sky, has anyone caught the ludicrous advert they've put out where the patriarch from My Family and a woman I don't recognize are chatting about how Sky is now creating stuff that's just so enthralling to watch, and also great to act in! It ends with an anti-Sky friend confiding that feels like "he's missing out."

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It makes sense that Sky wouldn't have wanted to broadcast Utopia, given that it was both good and didn't look like it was shot in Benidorm by a blind man using a VHS camera with CCCP stamped on the side.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I really enjoyed the finale. The ending was reasonable as a series finale but if it really is just a season finale and we get more Utopia next year then it was absolutely fantastic. Everyone's been isolated I loved the way they revealed Milner as Mr. Rabbit even though I called it when Ian said she wanted the manuscript. I loved even more the reveal that Anya was a spy, which I didn't see coming at all and was the perfect answer to my quickly growing annoyance with her. The finale made me realise it was such a great call to give Grant a makeover - the emo look disconnected him from his previous doucheness and helped bring out my sympathy. The whole thing was beautiful from a sound and visual perspective, the cast were great and the twist and turns of the plot were adeptly played.

Channel 4, if there is no season 2 then I refuse to watch the next 5 documentaries you make about babies :argh:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Rondette posted:

BTW, I haven't watched Utopia yet so I appreciate the spoiler tags! Not often I can say that :)

Kind of annoying that right after you said this, posters like Rarity and Plucky Brit just started spoiling away!

I've still yet to watch episodes 5 and 6, so I guess I should avoid this thread until then.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

thexerox123 posted:

Kind of annoying that right after you said this, posters like Rarity and Plucky Brit just started spoiling away!

I've still yet to watch episodes 5 and 6, so I guess I should avoid this thread until then.

I hope you never watch them then.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Sat on my sister and made her watch the final episode of Utopia so I had someone in real life to discuss it with (seriously, why were the viewing figures for it so painfully low, it got less than a million watchers. Suppose it'll probably do well on 4OD and DVD though)

It works just as well second time around, and my favourite shot of the final episode is definitely the reveal of the smirking Rabbit in the head office; the stained glass in the window behind the desk gives her head a pair of pointed devil horns/rabbit ears.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Flatscan posted:

I hope you never watch them then.

Aww, feeling left out because I didn't also mention you as one of the jerks who have been spoiling Utopia on this page?

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

When I see the word 'Utopia' (or the name of any show I care about) for the first time, I say to myself "Whoops! I'll stop reading the thread until I've watched the episode!"

This system is more pleasing for everyone than an entire page of spoiler tags.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Captain Mediocre posted:

When I see the word 'Utopia' (or the name of any show I care about) for the first time, I say to myself "Whoops! I'll stop reading the thread until I've watched the episode!"

This system is more pleasing for everyone than an entire page of spoiler tags.

I don't understand people who have an issue with spoiler tags, I never will. I'd rather have a thread full of spoiler tags than a general UK tv thread that expects people to stay 100% recent on any UK TV show that may come up, if they want to read the thread/talk about other shows.

So, for example, I can't read peoples' ongoing thoughts about Black Mirror until I'm caught up on Utopia, for fear of getting spoiled by people who don't like/are too lazy to use spoiler tags for some reason? If it were a Utopia-specific thread, that's one thing, I would avoid reading it like the plague, and that would be fine.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 20, 2013

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Edit-^^^ I agree with your point! Too much interesting TV on I guess.

I've just been skipping any that I can see say 'Utopia'. Not perfect but hey. We've got the last two episodes to watch yet. The fact that I'm not that bothered about watching them says a lot I think! My interest in the series has waned a bit. We'll get round to watching it at some point I guess!

Rondette fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 20, 2013

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Rondette posted:

I've just been skipping any that I can see say 'Utopia'. Not perfect but hey. We've got the last two episodes to watch yet. The fact that I'm not that bothered about watching them says a lot I think. My interest in the series has waned a bit. We'll get round to watching it at some point I guess!

I seriously don't know why the TVIV spoiler policy hasn't been updated since 2011, because I think it's pretty clear that they could add just a few more rules to clear up situations like this.

Courtesy spoilers are pretty common, and you can see a ton of them in this thread, but since they aren't based in the rules at all, it ends up just being inconsistent and frustrating, because the people who then come along and don't use spoilers are basically just making all of the courtesy spoilers that came before them useless.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm just watching that stupid 'Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners' and finding it really hard to care about a tunnel being cleared up.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Rondette posted:

I'm just watching that stupid 'Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners' and finding it really hard to care about a tunnel being cleared up.

It's ironic considering what show it was on, considering the designs they sprayed onto the walls instead were uneven and BOTHERED THE gently caress OUT OF ME.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

VogeGandire posted:

It's ironic considering what show it was on, considering the designs they sprayed onto the walls instead were uneven and BOTHERED THE gently caress OUT OF ME.

Are you Adam from that program???

I was pleased to hear that I am better than the 'average' Briton who only changes their bedsheets 3 times a year :stare:

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Rondette posted:

Watching other people clean is awfully dull, who'd have thought! (And I say this as a woman who is slightly mental about cleaning everything with Cif Lemon Cream Cleaner. I just like the way it makes things nice and shiny, okay?)

I suppose the original programme about Richard Wallace the OCD hoarder that kickstarted this series was good, but really, what's to like about an hour of hygiene-obsessed people in need of therapy being bitchy about other peoples' grotty homes?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

McDragon posted:

Oh, gently caress off Utopia. Eat poo poo. You know what, after that a loving meteor lands on the roof and blasts everyone to bits. And then it pisses it down with rain.

I thought you meant this literally, but I slammed the thread closed to avoid spoilers instead of hurling impotent nerd rage at you.

Made watching the ending a bit more surreal.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Rondette posted:

Are you Adam from that program???

I was pleased to hear that I am better than the 'average' Briton who only changes their bedsheets 3 times a year :stare:

3 times...a year?!

I think I might actually be Adam from that program, because I change my bedsheets every 3 weeks :catstare: I have 2 sets, so I rotate them, I put one set on while I'm washing the other. I thought that was totally normal.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

VogeGandire posted:

3 times...a year?!

I think I might actually be Adam from that program, because I change my bedsheets every 3 weeks :catstare: I have 2 sets, so I rotate them, I put one set on while I'm washing the other. I thought that was totally normal.

It's ok, I mark on a calendar when I've changed mine so I can keep tabs on it. I no longer want to use smell as an indicator of when I should change my sheets.

Yeah I actually felt a bit more sympathetic towards the scruff-bags. Dear old Frank and his death trap home. It was kind of a bit like that 'Supersize vs Superskinny', except the neat-freaks didn't really seem to learn anything at the end. Can't say I'm tempted to watch it next week.

edit-

Irisi posted:

what's to like about an hour of hygiene-obsessed people in need of therapy being bitchy about other peoples' grotty homes?

PRetty much this, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

You know what, I actually think the ending to Utopia was alright, thinking about it a bit more. Was feeling kinda grotty yesterday and I guess I took it out on Utopia a bit.