Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Cingulate posted:

The TMP transported accident (two people) is truly horrific though. Way worse body horror than any Spine/Brain Worms in JJTrek/Khan.
That scream. :gonk:

It's no wonder Bones hates the loving thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Payndz posted:

That scream. :gonk:

It's no wonder Bones hates the loving thing.

His intro monologue in 09 is great.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of screams, since you guys, being more perceptive than me, insisted on the dude being sucked into space at the beginning of JJTrek actually being a woman, I rewatched it and the scene is way worse than I had remembered it. I had only remembered it as a brief scene where you couldn't even tell what gender the person had.

There's an explosion engulfing a figure, you hear her scream for help, she's holding onto some beam for a second, it's all very noisy and violent, with explosions and screaming and fire and fear, we're very near to hear in that scene, and then we see the outside of the ship, where it's suddenly absolutely silent, tranquility, and a limp far figure tries to hold onto the hull from outside the ship still, then drifts away into space, like a miniature doll.

The sound editing throughout the whole first scene is strange though. At first, I thought they would contrast the completely silent vacuum of space with the noisy inside, with all the screaming and explosions. I loved how Firefly would use the silence of space to emphasize how it's a hostile, alien, or at least simply different, element, and wished they'd done that. But instead, they're just greatly muting some of the space scenes. The expected wooshes and pew pews are still, just barely, audible. It works, though I think total silence would have worked even better.

And while the Kelvin crashes into Nero's ship, we hear the explosion, then a cut to Kirk's mom with the same totally muted sound from before. Abrams gives her the vast emptiness of space by repeating the implicit musical theme of space: silence.

E: also, the abseiling action in engineering during evacuation is nice.

E2: oh, another nice thing I hadn't noticed before.

Kirk's mom, who's just given birth to Kirk while the dad rammed his space dick into Nero's fanged monster ...

And cut to ...

The evacuation fleet, tiny shuttles, in the same orientation and screen position as the woman, who is on one of them, was in the previous shot, with the same glowing giant in the background.

(You can still see the debris from the Kelvin, while Nero's ship sits there in post-orgasmic/explosion chill. And one of the shuttle crew who saved Kirk's mom, a birth helper, is standing where the Kelvin's debris are in the space frame. Sex, birth, death, in space.)

E3: Also, that scene ten minutes into the movie is a visual mirror image of another scene ten minutes before the end of the movie:

(It looks better in motion. Tiny fireflies!)
Here, a second ship crashes into Nero's ship, but this time, it carries a meaner payload than Kirk senior: Spock. Then, by an act of new Spock, Nero gets sucked into the same hole he was birthed from at the beginning by an act of old Spock.

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Feb 20, 2013

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Cingulate posted:

I wanted to ask how you thought a War is Hell movie would profit from being set in space.

I don't get this argument. May as well ask how a racism story would profit from being set in space.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well, how would it?
It's actually not an argument, it's just a question.
I'm not saying it wouldn't, I'm asking, what would it change?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
In the vein of DS9 discussion, I still think that Bab5 told a better "war is hell" story than DS9, once the main arc kicked into motion, anyway.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

api call girl posted:

In the vein of DS9 discussion, I still think that Bab5 told a better "war is hell" story than DS9, once the main arc kicked into motion, anyway.

DS9 got real goofy when it did those heavy episodes, like the overacting LA waiter playing a hardened Federation badass with the necklace of ketracel white canisters around his neck. That whole thing was just trivial and silly.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Cingulate posted:

I think they allow only one dude to get sucked.

Why don't they have standby transporters monitoring so that if anyone gets spaced they cant get autobeamed back somewhere safe?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

penismightier posted:

DS9 got real goofy when it did those heavy episodes, like the overacting LA waiter playing a hardened Federation badass with the necklace of ketracel white canisters around his neck. That whole thing was just trivial and silly.

That battle should have ended when Kellin sent all of the Jem'Hadar to the cornfield

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Cingulate posted:

Well, how would it?
It's actually not an argument, it's just a question.
I'm not saying it wouldn't, I'm asking, what would it change?

It lets you talk about sensitive topics without explicitly talking about them, like have moral quandries that seem really weird and fantastic but are really the same kinds of thing we run into in real life, like racism. There's plenty of good episodes of Trek (and many bad ones) that try to talk about something contemporary by making it In Space with Foreheads.

There's an argument to be made that perhaps Trek is too optimistic and sanitized to effectively deal with War is Hell because it doesn't generally play to the franchise's strengths, but scifi in general is a wonderful genre to explore pretty much any theme or situation imaginable, in space or not.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

AlternateAccount posted:

Why don't they have standby transporters monitoring so that if anyone gets spaced they cant get autobeamed back somewhere safe?
It was made pretty clear that transporters suck at locking on to a person who's moving. Also can't beam through shields, etc.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ash1138 posted:

It was made pretty clear that transporters suck at locking on to a person who's moving.

Unless Chekov's doing it. Because he's smarter and faster than a computer.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Always assumed this was a Titanic allusion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

Of course he is. He's Chekov. He's so awesome that Khan remembered him despite him not being around in that episode.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

ImpAtom posted:

Of course he is. He's Chekov. He's so awesome that Khan remembered him despite him not being around in that episode.

Yeah they did, Chekov was hogging the toilet.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cingulate posted:

There is a sad sad scene in Khan where the young ensign Scotty had hyped before dies after the Reliant's first attack. "He held his post" or something, and it's a perfect "war is hell" scene in the one sense of the word, where war is the necessary hell where men can show they're men.

Dude, look at that poo poo. Whatever plasma leak happened vaporized most of his suit and burned the flesh underneath it in short order. Even Scotty is banged up and bloodied.

Cingulate posted:

The guy dying in fulfillment of his duty is some "Peter Preston", who was overeager to go to space. I guess you could also read him as a critique of that type of person.

I'm surprised you didn't get this from Memory Alpha as well, but Peter Preston is one of Scotty's nephews. Scotty has even more reason to be upset at losing someone under his command, especially when it's his blood.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Young Freud posted:

Dude, look at that poo poo. Whatever plasma leak happened vaporized most of his suit and burned the flesh underneath it in short order. Even Scotty is banged up and bloodied.

I'm surprised you didn't get this from Memory Alpha as well, but Peter Preston is one of Scotty's nephews. Scotty has even more reason to be upset at losing someone under his command, especially when it's his blood.

He mentions in the movie that hes his nephew. I always choke up a bit at that scene, such a bummer, it also shows James Doohans acting chops.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Throwdown posted:

He mentions in the movie that hes his nephew.

Only in the Director's Edition, actually. The theatrical version omits everything from Preston telling Kirk he'll find everything in ship-shape to Scotty telling Kirk that Preston is his sister's youngest.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Scotty's a lovely uncle. Maybe if if you'd taken your critically injured nephew to Sickbay instead of the bridge, he'd still be alive.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Young Freud posted:

That detail didn't make it into the theatrical cut, but can be seen in the few minutes of material added back in on the Director's Edition DVD. Regardless, all the pathos of the loss is set up in a few simple scenes: first when Admiral Kirk is making his inspection and we see that virtually all of Scotty's staff are the trainees from the academy there for the training cruise, then during Khan's attack when we cut to the engine room and watch the utter chaos unfold as those kids are tossed about like broken toys and burned alive.

"He stayed at his post, while the trainees ran..." Scotty explains his grief in the very statement of it: this one didn't buckle under the sudden shock and horror of the flying classroom becoming a battlefield in an instant. He died as one of the crew.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Scotty's a lovely uncle. Maybe if if you'd taken your critically injured nephew to Sickbay instead of the bridge, he'd still be alive.

That was the most bizarre thing, I thought maybe he was already dead when I re watched it not too long ago but nope, later on he dies in the med bay. Meaning Scotty took his dying crewman to the bridge to.. bleed on the carpet. Scotty may be an ok engineer but he is poo poo at triage.

epitasis posted:

Always assumed this was a Titanic allusion.

And I laugh every time, just like I laugh at propeller guy. In both instances I cringe just up to the thunk too.

Vertigo One
Mar 29, 2010

Spaceman Future! posted:

That was the most bizarre thing, I thought maybe he was already dead when I re watched it not too long ago but nope, later on he dies in the med bay. Meaning Scotty took his dying crewman to the bridge to.. bleed on the carpet. Scotty may be an ok engineer but he is poo poo at triage.

The impression that I got from that scene was that he was emotionally compromised and kinda pissed at Kirk, since all the damage was due to Kirk breaking regulation. It does still throw me out of it a little every time I see it though.

Vertigo One fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 21, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Throwdown posted:

Yeah they did, Chekov was hogging the toilet.

Khan does not like floaters

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Scotty probably thought that Bones was hanging out in the bridge during a crisis again. Assuming he hasn't run off to help Spock modify a torpedo.

thexerox123 posted:

Even then he couldn't always save everyone.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus
So, returning to the upcoming movie.

The newest Countdown to Darkness makes a few interesting reveals.

Starfleet believes Robert April is dead. HIS Enterprise was decommissioned and Pike/Kirk's Enterprise was built shortly thereafter.

April faked his own death with the help of his second in command with the last name Marcus. They, too, were on a routine survey mission when they witnessed a genocide. April was too overcome to remain uninvolved. He stole guns and armed the underdogs.

We also meet a young lady smuggler named... Mudd.

Overall, a really well done comic.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Great_Gerbil posted:

So, returning to the upcoming movie.

The newest Countdown to Darkness makes a few interesting reveals.

Starfleet believes Robert April is dead. HIS Enterprise was decommissioned and Pike/Kirk's Enterprise was built shortly thereafter.

April faked his own death with the help of his second in command with the last name Marcus. They, too, were on a routine survey mission when they witnessed a genocide. April was too overcome to remain uninvolved. He stole guns and armed the underdogs.

Based on this and some other things I've been hearing, it sounds like a big part of the plot will be the Prime Directive, when it's important to follow it, and when it's important to go it on your own. Sounds like a cool idea for the new movie.

Great_Gerbil posted:

Oh Christ.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

thrawn527 posted:

Oh Christ.

Don't go all Dirk Benedict on us, now. Taking a notoriously sexist character and switching the gender for the new series could potentially be really awesome, if done well.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

DrNutt posted:

Don't go all Dirk Benedict on us, now. Taking a notoriously sexist character and switching the gender for the new series could potentially be really awesome, if done well.

I said this in the Star Wars thread, but sci-fi has a real lack of proactive female characters that it really should work to fix.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Alchenar posted:

I said this in the Star Wars thread, but sci-fi has a real lack of proactive female characters that it really should work to fix.

I thought Dredd was pretty awesome in that it had a really wicked awesome female villain as well as a fairly strong female lead; Dredd's superior happened to be a woman as well.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Ripley in Alien? Carter or Dr. Weir in the Stargate Franchise? Several Firefly characters? Sarah Connor? Dana Scully?

I'm pretty sure sci-fi is not even remotely lacking in that regard, unless you're still living in the 70s.

(Star Trek and Star Wars aren't necessarily the best examples, though. But, Star Trek certainly isn't the worst, either.)

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 21, 2013

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

DrNutt posted:

Whoa whoa, I have no problem with Mudd being a woman. I have a problem with Mudd showing up at all in the sequel. Granted, I doubt he/she will, but showing up in the comic is a little too close for comfort.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

Ripley in Alien? Carter or Dr. Weir in the Stargate Franchise? Several Firefly characters? Sarah Connor? Dana Scully?

I'm pretty sure sci-fi is not even remotely lacking in that regard, unless you're still living in the 70s.

(Star Trek and Star Wars aren't necessarily the best examples, though. But, Star Trek certainly isn't the worst, either.)

There's a very real argument to make about the Firefly characters and every other one you mentioned there is from the 90s or earlier.

That said I rather like the idea of Mudd as a female character if just because they could do something interesting with it that isn't just a retread. I imagine it would be his sister/something like that who just happens to be a similar character but we'll see.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 21, 2013

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

There's a very real argument to make about the Firefly characters and every other one you mentioned there is from the 90s or earlier.

I can throw down some more recent ones: Olivia, Astrid, and Nina in Fringe, several characters in Utopia, several characters in Misfits, Selena in 28 Days Later...

What difference does it make that a bunch of the examples were from things from the 90s?

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 21, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Whoa whoa, I have no problem with Mudd being a woman. I have a problem with Mudd showing up at all in the sequel. Granted, I doubt he/she will, but showing up in the comic is a little too close for comfort.

Chances are its just an easter egg, and if they ever bring that character into the movie they will ignore it.

DocHorror
Mar 4, 2007

I am the Master, you will obey me...

Ash1138 posted:

Scotty probably thought that Bones was hanging out in the bridge during a crisis again. Assuming he hasn't run off to help Spock modify a torpedo.
Even then he couldn't always save everyone.

IIRC the novelisation has Scotty mumbling that he '...cannae get to sickbay.'

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Question to the people who read the comics last time (before 2009's Trek), and are reading the comics this time: do you think they make the movie more enjoyable, or perhaps less?
Meaning, should I read them?

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Great_Gerbil posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

thexerox123 posted:

You name a franchise that spans a decade and you can only name two proactive women. That isn't helping your argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MadScientistWorking posted:

You name a franchise that spans a decade and you can only name two proactive women.

Stargate? Well, I'm just in Atlantis Season 2/SG-1 Season 9 right now, but I could easily name more just off the top of my head.

Dr. Fraiser, I would imagine Vala gets some character development, but I've only seen the one episode with her so far, Teyla...

It wasn't that I could only name 2, I just wasn't about to name every single proactive female character in the franchise, I was just trying to give some main-character examples.

And I'm sure some of my examples could be debated, but I'm also sure that other people could name many others.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 21, 2013

• Locked thread