Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
To be fair, if you read the article, the Libyan government didn't arrest them, an external 'security group' acting outside the government did, and they say they will hand them over after interrogations. Poor people. Basically an Islamist militia that still hasn't been dismantled by the government took them. Whether or not they were actually producing conversion to Christianity materials is pretty suspect, but IF they were (and I'm highly cynical they were), then given the current circumstances in Libya, it's a pretty silly thing to be doing. They were probably just publishing Bibles...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's Jabhat al-Nusra using a claimed 50 IEDs to attack a convoy in Syria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mcQrU-zv84

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I doubt that's 50 IEDs but that sure is a lot. :stare:

They either got tipped off something major and had a lot of pre-planning because it looks like a chain gang digging the bombs. That or the Syrian Army and security forces are pretty blind.

Also, surprisingly, no dead bodies shown. I would have thought there would be at least a few mangled bodies in the wreckage, like that AK at the end.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Joshua Landis has written about 10 M79 Osas that have been supplied to fighter inside Aleppo, interesting to see them spread through the country, but more on that soon (hopefully)

http://www.joshualandis.com/blog/?p=17770

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
For all those IEDs they used it doesn't seem like they took out a lot of armor. Most of them kept moving as though nothing happened and I'm sure they would've filmed their prized tank kills if they were there.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Young Freud posted:

I doubt that's 50 IEDs but that sure is a lot. :stare:

They either got tipped off something major and had a lot of pre-planning because it looks like a chain gang digging the bombs. That or the Syrian Army and security forces are pretty blind.

Also, surprisingly, no dead bodies shown. I would have thought there would be at least a few mangled bodies in the wreckage, like that AK at the end.

It looked pretty drat muddy out, and it didn't appear to be very large explosives. The tedious part of that was probably daisy chaining all of them together.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

When they come out to film the aftermath, the weather has changed, and all non-destroyed vehicles are gone. If anyone was killed, their remains were probably picked up by their compatriots.

As far as pre-planning, there might easily just be regular convoys on that road. Military planners tend to use the same routes over and over.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

The production values on this are loving surreal

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist

Best Friends posted:

When they come out to film the aftermath, the weather has changed, and all non-destroyed vehicles are gone. If anyone was killed, their remains were probably picked up by their compatriots.

As far as pre-planning, there might easily just be regular convoys on that road. Military planners tend to use the same routes over and over.

If they really wanted to cause some damage they would have had two stages of IEDs. One initial one and then another set of explosions for when everyone just piled out of the vehicles.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brown Moses posted:

I've found a new bomb in Syria, this time a high explosive incendiary bomb.

And in this video we have another example of why it's useful to have infantry support when you are in a tank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yck3EZeyOD0

One thing i've noticed is that the crewmember who ran away was wearing civilian clothes.

Is that a sign of forced and hasted conscription, geneva convention breaking or simply dire lack of army organization?

Young Freud posted:

I can't even see what they did to it. All I know is that the tank crew abandoned the tank and probably got shot and some fire. Maybe they thought the rebels were planting explosives and panicked.
They threw some sort of explosive inside. You can see the tank burning and stopping all activities. And the dude got shot, if you put it in HD you can see his body turning red (where do they find these kind of cameras?).

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's some young people in Syria playing a game where they pretend to be firing a mortar, only using live cluster munitions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdM4nUf05do

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I keep expecting one of these to end in an explosion.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Darth Brooks posted:

I keep expecting one of these to end in an explosion.

Would probably wreck the camera if it was taping a malfunctioning mortar.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

quote:

The death count in Syria's ongoing civil war was revised upwards on Tuesday. Navi Pillay, the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, now says that the toll is "probably now approaching 70,000," an increase of 10,000 from the end of November, when a U.N.-commissioned report found 60,000 individual instances in which a name, date and location of death could be determined. The data set from that report suggested that the true number of dead in the Syria conflict was even higher than that, and one of the report's authors told The Atlantic that the figure was "a very conservative under-count." Pillay's 70,000 number has some relationship to two unknown figures: the number of deaths that can be estimated given currently available information, and the actual number of deaths in the conflict, a total which might not be known for several years (if it is ever conclusively known at all). Both of these numbers are higher than 70,000. Perhaps they're even much higher.

Whether intended or not, Pillay's claim masks the actual gravity of the Syria conflict. The widely-cited 60,000 and 70,000 numbers bear some kind of statistical relationship to the true death count; though at present, we have no idea what that relationship is. The numbers are a reflection of what is currently known about the conflict -- and not, in fact, a reflection of the realities of the conflict. Official and popular adherence to such an obviously deflated figure is troubling, given the enormity of the Syria conflict and the still-unfolding debate over how and whether the United States and the international community should intervene there. A misleading number is now woven into a debate of global importance: because Pillay and the news media are using the 60 or 70,000 figure without any meaningful qualification, the conflict's true humanitarian scope is being unintentionally yet insidiously distorted.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/02/counting-the-dead-in-syria/273199/

It goes on and he makes some interesting points, though I'm not convinced that the way the number is being used is actually that problematic, though it's probably not that useful either.

quote:

There's not even good data on the relationship between direct deaths on the one hand and indirect deaths from disease and malnutrition on the other," says Mack. "The multiplier goes between anything from 2 to 70 or 80," depending on the conflict. Mack pointed out that even if there were a standard multiplier, it wouldn't be terribly useful. "Even if it was a true average figure how would you know whether the conflict that you're investigating is average or not?."

I thought this variation was particularly interesting. i wonder how much of that is related to infastructure destruction or length of the conflict.

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Here's some young people in Syria playing a game where they pretend to be firing a mortar, only using live cluster munitions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdM4nUf05do

They say they're using 'homemade mortars'. Even so, those look like real rounds and it is pretty stupid of them to be doing that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDHLsU-ik_Y
This video is from 17th February 2011. The story behind what is happening is that 4 policemen were trying to force a bribe out of a store manager at one of the Souqs in Damascus. The guy refuses, so they abuse him and beat him up pretty hard. He starts screaming for help, people notice what is going on, and the policemen retreat into the building that is being filmed at the start of the video. The congregation chants 'Haramiyeh' (thieves) and 'the people of Syria won't be abused', as well as 'God, Syria, Bashar' until the minister of interior affairs arrives at the scene. He accuses the people there of protesting, a claim they vehemently deny. Afterwards, the man is set free, the policemen are not punished, and no mention of the event is ever made on official media.

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

:m10:
Glad I came back to SA after a posting sabbatical. I haven't really caught up with all the information in this thread, but are any of you reading Pepe Escobar? I'm curious how accurate his take on the situation is.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

G. Hosafat posted:

Glad I came back to SA after a posting sabbatical. I haven't really caught up with all the information in this thread, but are any of you reading Pepe Escobar? I'm curious how accurate his take on the situation is.

He's generally a good source of leftist perspective, but his reporting on Syria has been a little hit or miss. Early into the conflict he came out very strongly against the rebellion as an illegitimate prelude to US-invasion, and he's been slowly walking that back. He's had the same type of difficulty with the French intervention into Mali: He sees everything through the prism of the nefarious intentions of the West. His fondness for rebuking the "NATOGCC" as a lockstep institution of imperialism makes it very difficult for him to see anything but that imperialism. I think that his skepticism toward Western motivations is a valuable perspective, but a limited one. There's a lot going on here that has little to do with Cold War politics and media propaganda.

Pepe Escobar posted:

All I hear is doom and gloom. 

How to solve this tragedy? No one seems to be listening to Syrian Vice President Farouk Al-Sharaa. In this interview with Lebanon's Al-Akhbar, he stresses "the threat of the current campaign to destroy Syria, its history, civilization, and people... With every passing day, the solution gets further away, militarily and politically. We must be in the position of defending Syria's existence."

He does not have "a clear answer to what the solution may be". But he has a road map (http://english.al-akhbar.com/node/14401):

Any settlement, whether starting with talks or agreements between Arab, regional, or foreign capitals, cannot exist without a solid Syrian foundation. The solution has to be Syrian, but through a historic settlement, which would include the main regional countries, and the members of UN Security Council. This settlement must include stopping all shapes of violence, and the creation of a national unity government with wide powers. This should be accompanied by the resolution of sensitive dossiers related to the lives of people and their legitimate demands.

This is not what the NATOGCC compound wants - even as the US, Britain, France, Turkey, Qatar and Saudi Arabia are all engaged in their own divergent agendas. What the NATOGCC war has already accomplished is one objective - very similar, by the way, to Iraq in 2003; it has completely torn the fragile Syrian social fabric to shreds. 

That is disaster capitalism in action, phase I; the terrain is already prepared for a profitable "reconstruction" of Syria once a pliable, pro-Western turbo-capitalism government is installed. 

Yet in parallel, blowback also works its mysterious ways; millions of Syrians who initially supported the idea of a pro-democracy movement - from the business classes in Damascus to traders in Aleppo - now have swelled the government support base as a counterpunch against the gruesome ethnic-religious cleansing promoted by the "rebels" of the al-Nusrah kind. 

Yet with NATOGCC on one side and Iran-Russia on the other side, ordinary Syrians caught in the crossfire have nowhere to go. NATOGCC will stop at nothing to carve - in blood - any dubious entity ranging from a pro-US emirate to a pro-US "democracy" run by the MB. It's not hard to see for whom the bell tolls in Syria; it tolls not for thee, as in John Donne, but for doom, gloom, death and destruction.

http://www.alternet.org/world/top-geopolitical-tragedy-year-syrian-bloodbath

To my mind, citing the disgraced and sidelined Syrian VP as holding the path toward peace, while equating the conflict as a mere repeat of the Iraq War, indicates a fundamental misreading of the situation. He seems overly eager to simplify the situation down to geopolitical conflict with Syrians caught in the middle - with his preferred solution being a "Syrian resolution" that doesn't leave egg on his face for tolerating Assad's complicity.

http://www.alternet.org/authors/pepe-escobar

Kaal fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 19, 2013

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

There's a lot of gunfire in the beginning of that video. Is it just celebratory, or did the Syrian army decide that it'd be fine to roll a convoy across a road that had seen an engagement with a couple hundred guys digging holes?

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

:m10:
I typed this all on ambien, so if it doesn't make sense, I will revise it tomorrow.

It seems like he will occasionally acknowledge Syrian war crimes but mostly he seems way more worried about Al-Qaeda jihadists jumping from conflict to conflict around MENA, picking up weapons and money from NATO/CIA/GCC and liberating the armories of whatever dictator's weapons stockpiles they find. This I think is the most important theme in his articles: that NATO/CIA/GCC have not demonstrated good foresight with regards to their intervention in these conflicts. Take Libya as a starting point for this example. The rebels in Libya were being supplied by those NATO-GCC-CIA resources and the militias decided to hold on to the weapons instead of hand them back over to the CIA. The liberated weapons stockpiles of the local regime's military base also end up in the black market for Al Qaeda types to snatch up for use all over Mid East North Africa.

Which makes me question if he has some sort of Shia bias. His articles do portray the Alawite Syrian government, Hezbollah, and Iranian regimes all promoting a slightly more moderate, and thus humane form of Islam - and maybe he's right.

His most important point is that the wars are like the ouroboros. Because the West will arm a jihad group in one country when members of the same jihad group bring their training and resources to fight against the West in the neighboring countries.

G. Hosafat fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 19, 2013

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005

Fallom posted:

There's a lot of gunfire in the beginning of that video. Is it just celebratory, or did the Syrian army decide that it'd be fine to roll a convoy across a road that had seen an engagement with a couple hundred guys digging holes?

It does not seem celebratory. You can hear bullets whizzing by the cameraman and see dust being kicked up around the guys running through a large open field in the middle of the day... Far as how it is connected with the IEDs other than being in the same location I cannot tell for certain.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

Fallom posted:

The IED part is in a different light and is shot from a different angle, it's hard to know where and when the gunfight was relative to the IEDs, making the assumption that it happened first and wasn't just edited together that way.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

There's reports of a Scud or other type of large rocket or missile landing 7km inside the Turkish border, not much more info than that at the moment.

[edit] Nevermind, turns out it didn't happen.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 19, 2013

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Brown Moses posted:

There's reports of a Scud or other type of large rocket or missile landing 7km inside the Turkish border, not much more info than that at the moment.

[edit] Nevermind, turns out it didn't happen.

Anything that size would be easy targets for the German patriots there anyways, wouldn't it?

pickett
Mar 9, 2009

Kaal posted:

He's generally a good source of leftist perspective, but his reporting on Syria has been a little hit or miss. Early into the conflict he came out very strongly against the rebellion as an illegitimate prelude to US-invasion, and he's been slowly walking that back. He's had the same type of difficulty with the French intervention into Mali: He sees everything through the prism of the nefarious intentions of the West. His fondness for rebuking the "NATOGCC" as a lockstep institution of imperialism makes it very difficult for him to see anything but that imperialism. I think that his skepticism toward Western motivations is a valuable perspective, but a limited one. There's a lot going on here that has little to do with Cold War politics and media propaganda.

To my mind, citing the disgraced and sidelined Syrian VP as holding the path toward peace, while equating the conflict as a mere repeat of the Iraq War, indicates a fundamental misreading of the situation. He seems overly eager to simplify the situation down to geopolitical conflict with Syrians caught in the middle - with his preferred solution being a "Syrian resolution" that doesn't leave egg on his face for tolerating Assad's complicity.

http://www.alternet.org/authors/pepe-escobar

My understanding of this conflict is particularly lacking, despite hearing about it on the news constantly for the last few years. After doing some light wikipedia reading on the subject, it seems that the protests in Syria started as a response to the acute poverty caused by the introduction of a service sector type economy. But as far as I understand, its NATO that supports the rebel groups while Russia supports the Syrian regime? What kind of economic system to the rebels hope to instal upon their victory? What type does Assad hope to preserve?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

pickett posted:

My understanding of this conflict is particularly lacking, despite hearing about it on the news constantly for the last few years. After doing some light wikipedia reading on the subject, it seems that the protests in Syria started as a response to the acute poverty caused by the introduction of a service sector type economy. But as far as I understand, its NATO that supports the rebel groups while Russia supports the Syrian regime? What kind of economic system to the rebels hope to instal upon their victory? What type does Assad hope to preserve?

The Rebels haven't said much about it because they're too busy rebelling and not dying, and Assad just wants to preserve his skin.

Pieter Pan
May 16, 2004
Bad faith argument here:
-------------------------------->

Syria Live Blog, Al Jazeera posted:

Rebels and Kurdish militias have ceased hostilities in the northern Syrian city of Ras al-Ain after sealing an accord that will see them fight together against the regime, activists said Tuesday.

Intermittent and sometimes deadly clashes have taken place between the two sides since rebels entered the majority Kurdish city, located on the border with Turkey, several months ago.

A statement was issued at the weekend detailing the terms of the final accord between the rebel Free Syrian Army and the Kurdish popular committees.

A Kurdish activist from Ras al-Ain confirmed to AFP over the Internet on Tuesday that "there have been no confrontations following the agreement.

http://blogs.aljazeera.com/liveblog/topic/syria-153

I was wondering what was happening at Ras Al-Ain. This is good news, at least for now.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Pieter posted:

http://blogs.aljazeera.com/liveblog/topic/syria-153

I was wondering what was happening at Ras Al-Ain. This is good news, at least for now.

They will be back at it once the regime falls. The more time these rebel groups have to form factions, the more factions will be fighting each other once the first phase of this civil war is over. However, I could be totally wrong about that. But the general consensus is, there's going to be a civil war once the civil war is over. If that makes any sense. I feel really bad for the regular Syrian civilians, I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel for them for a long time.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Lebanon's orthodox election law moved forward today, which is full of all kinds of bullshit.

quote:

The approval of the Orthodox Gathering’s proposed electoral law by Parliament’s joint committees sparked concern Tuesday among a number of secular-minded people who consider the legislation a dangerous step toward extreme confessionalism.

The plan known as the Orthodox law, which can now be put to a full vote in Parliament, calls for a proportional system that lets citizens vote only for candidates from their own sects.

While some see the law as an acceptable compromise between political parties for the upcoming elections in June, Tuesday’s loud outcry from critics underscored the differences of opinion over the legislation.

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Politics/2013/Feb-20/207159-approval-of-orthodox-law-sparks-outcry.ashx

Also,

quote:

It emerged today that the American satirical magazine The Onion is to sue Lebanon for unfair competition practices and for making its headlines look totally reasonable. The Onion is demanding million of dollars in compensation, claiming that the small Mediterranean country has ‘ruined the business of writing satirical headlines’. The magazine’s claim refers to a ‘sustained campaign of nonsensical but nevertheless real headlines’ over a number of years, during which Lebanon, ‘went out of its way to make The Onion’s headlines look ordinary by comparison.’
He added: “The law says Maronites, and I am not quite sure what Maronites are, must vote for Maronites candidates, Shiites for Shiite candidates, Sunnis for Sunni candidates and so on. Except for Jews. Jews can vote for candidates of any sect they choose! Now if we had put that in a satirical article, we would have been accused of unreasonable exaggeration.”

“And why do they call it the Orthodox Electoral Law? There’s NOTHING Orthodox about it. They must be pulling our leg. No political system in the world is that twisted, not even North Korea’s. This is obviously part of a determined effort to undermine what we and other satirical publications do. Lebanon is trying to create a monopoly in ludicrous headlines and I’m afraid to say it’s succeeding.” It is understood that The Onion’s lawyers will target Lebanon under anti-trust laws and ‘freakin’ common sense’.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

pickett posted:

My understanding of this conflict is particularly lacking, despite hearing about it on the news constantly for the last few years. After doing some light wikipedia reading on the subject, it seems that the protests in Syria started as a response to the acute poverty caused by the introduction of a service sector type economy.

This is the Middle East, man. The economy doesn't even make the top ten list in most of these countries priorities. These protests started more as a reaction to the Assads heavy-handed rule in the country over the years, the constant state of emergency law recently in particular. That was fueled by run of the mill Sunni/Shiite issues, and a brutal crackdown by Assad on protests. It's been a long time coming.

quote:

But as far as I understand, its NATO that supports the rebel groups while Russia supports the Syrian regime? What kind of economic system to the rebels hope to instal upon their victory? What type does Assad hope to preserve?

NATO doesn't support the opposition. They :airquote:support:airquote: the opposition. Russia backs the Syrian regime because Assad is in their pocket. China is also opposing intervention because they don't want a precedent set of intervening in areas over human rights issues. No one in the U.N. thinks that the pros of aiding the rebels outweigh the cons of crossing those two diplomatically, or risking their aid benefiting salafist groups in the region. As far as the economic system, the rebellion in Egypt didn't even have any economic plans, and their situation was far less dire than Syria's. All I've seen mentioned so far is the figures that the SNC has put out in regards to the aid they'll need to rebuild once Assad falls.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
You don't have to be a Marxist to think that everything goes back to economics - perhaps the whole Arab spring started due to an increase in food prices. Certainly Syria during the noughties brought in a series of economic reforms that got rid of the old socialist style system, made many Assad cronies very rich and royally screwed over the rural and urban poor.

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

mediadave posted:

You don't have to be a Marxist to think that everything goes back to economics - perhaps the whole Arab spring started due to an increase in food prices. Certainly Syria during the noughties brought in a series of economic reforms that got rid of the old socialist style system, made many Assad cronies very rich and royally screwed over the rural and urban poor.

I'd doubt the economy was the 'spark', or that it was a major contributing factor. The rural areas in particular were getting poorer and poorer, with a lot of farmers from the Jazeera region suffering from years of drought, but it isn't the first time Syria had found itself in difficult economic circumstances. The late 80s are frequently mentioned as examples of economic hardship due to sanctions, where even the most basic of supplies (tissues, soap) were near impossible to find. The mid 80s saw the sudden depreciation of the Syrian Pound, and the 60s saw Baathist extremists try and turn Syria into a 'Pure Socialist' economy, which ruined a lot of livelihoods. The Arab spring, in particular Egypt and Libya increased the average Syrian's sensitivity to corruption, cronyism and tyranny, but the unique spark that set off a revolution has to be the events in Deraa during the Febuary-March 2011 period.
Nobody expected a civil uprising in Syria, at least not so soon. Something was going to happen sooner or later, probably due to economic pressure on the rural population and the young, educated masses, the increasingly corrupt businessmen and officials who always took a cut out of everything, the deteriorating state of government services and various other reasons that were surely going to force the regime into a tight position one day. But Deraa was the event that showed everybody that the facade of benevolent dictatorship the Assad regime maintained was nothing but a weak farce, and that irregardless of what was happening outside Syria, in Syria the stupidly abusive and degenerating big brother attitude of the Mukhabarat in particular and the bureaucracy in general wasn't going to change, at all.
It was also an attempt to stomp out any sense of dignity people in Deraa tried to uphold, via the vulgar language used by Atef Najeeb when talking to the social elite of the city, or the brutal attacks on protesters who were demanding simple reforms. This was in an area that is akin to the American South, where dignity is not something to be taken lightly. The whole debacle was easy to interpret as the regime spitting in the face of the enslaved populace, then trying to stomp its face into the mud when the people tried to ask for mercy.
This started a vicious cycle which spread throughout the country. The regime wouldn't change its methods or deal with the protesters' demands in a civilized manner, and the protesters wouldn't be subdued by the regime's brutal oppression. By the end of March protesters in Damascus were no longer asking for reforms, but the fall of the regime.

So basically, Syria would probably not have revolted (during that period) if the regime didn't do what it did in Deraa. The events of Deraa were the catalyst, and the regime's response the spark that moved the Syrian population against its government for the first time in 30 years. Other things such as the economy and the push for democratic reform contributed to the expansion of it all once it had started. But had Atef Najeeb dealt with the graffiti in Deraa by painting over it instead of torturing some juveniles and offering to rape their mothers when the sheikhs of Deraa asked for their return, I wouldn't be surprised if the Syrian people would still be loyal to the regime up until this day.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Thank you for the reminder that it was the regime that started this, not anyone else. The protests were generally civil. When the regime started killing people for taking part in them, that is when the people rose up.

I don't know if the people would still by loyal but it is much less likely there'd be open warfare. The first blood in the Arab Spring has always been drawn by the government, and only then does hell follow.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Volkerball posted:

Anything that size would be easy targets for the German patriots there anyways, wouldn't it?

If landing within the patriot defended footprint, sure. But six batteries can't even begin to provide tbm defense for all of Turkey our even the all of the border region.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Muffiner posted:

I'd doubt the economy was the 'spark', or that it was a major contributing factor. The rural areas in particular were getting poorer and poorer, with a lot of farmers from the Jazeera region suffering from years of drought, but it isn't the first time Syria had found itself in difficult economic circumstances. The late 80s are frequently mentioned as examples of economic hardship due to sanctions, where even the most basic of supplies (tissues, soap) were near impossible to find. The mid 80s saw the sudden depreciation of the Syrian Pound, and the 60s saw Baathist extremists try and turn Syria into a 'Pure Socialist' economy, which ruined a lot of livelihoods. The Arab spring, in particular Egypt and Libya increased the average Syrian's sensitivity to corruption, cronyism and tyranny, but the unique spark that set off a revolution has to be the events in Deraa during the Febuary-March 2011 period.
Nobody expected a civil uprising in Syria, at least not so soon. Something was going to happen sooner or later, probably due to economic pressure on the rural population and the young, educated masses, the increasingly corrupt businessmen and officials who always took a cut out of everything, the deteriorating state of government services and various other reasons that were surely going to force the regime into a tight position one day. But Deraa was the event that showed everybody that the facade of benevolent dictatorship the Assad regime maintained was nothing but a weak farce, and that irregardless of what was happening outside Syria, in Syria the stupidly abusive and degenerating big brother attitude of the Mukhabarat in particular and the bureaucracy in general wasn't going to change, at all.
It was also an attempt to stomp out any sense of dignity people in Deraa tried to uphold, via the vulgar language used by Atef Najeeb when talking to the social elite of the city, or the brutal attacks on protesters who were demanding simple reforms. This was in an area that is akin to the American South, where dignity is not something to be taken lightly. The whole debacle was easy to interpret as the regime spitting in the face of the enslaved populace, then trying to stomp its face into the mud when the people tried to ask for mercy.
This started a vicious cycle which spread throughout the country. The regime wouldn't change its methods or deal with the protesters' demands in a civilized manner, and the protesters wouldn't be subdued by the regime's brutal oppression. By the end of March protesters in Damascus were no longer asking for reforms, but the fall of the regime.

So basically, Syria would probably not have revolted (during that period) if the regime didn't do what it did in Deraa. The events of Deraa were the catalyst, and the regime's response the spark that moved the Syrian population against its government for the first time in 30 years. Other things such as the economy and the push for democratic reform contributed to the expansion of it all once it had started. But had Atef Najeeb dealt with the graffiti in Deraa by painting over it instead of torturing some juveniles and offering to rape their mothers when the sheikhs of Deraa asked for their return, I wouldn't be surprised if the Syrian people would still be loyal to the regime up until this day.

Well said. Its all too easy to forget how this conflict really started, since it has transformed from the non violent demonstrations met with brutal force, into the bloody civil war we see today. When the Syrian uprising began in 2011 it looked more like the other Arab Spring uprisings in Egypt and Tunisia although they were dealt with much more violently by the regime. And the sad thing is that back then Russia and China were still being supportive of the Syrian government and claiming the protesters were "foreign terrorists" which was comical at best. This was the time when if the international community was going to get militarily involved they should have, but that time came and went. When it became clear no help was coming to the Syrian people like the Libyans received, thats when they took up arms and basically everything that Russia was claiming became a self fulfilling prophecy. Now there really were rebel fighters and even some foreign jihadists. This was bound to happen as you cant expect people to get slaughtered en masse forever before they start fighting back, but at the same time its given legitimacy to those who want to see the regime stay in power like Iran and Russia.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Charliegrs posted:

Well said. Its all too easy to forget how this conflict really started, since it has transformed from the non violent demonstrations met with brutal force, into the bloody civil war we see today. When the Syrian uprising began in 2011 it looked more like the other Arab Spring uprisings in Egypt and Tunisia although they were dealt with much more violently by the regime. And the sad thing is that back then Russia and China were still being supportive of the Syrian government and claiming the protesters were "foreign terrorists" which was comical at best. This was the time when if the international community was going to get militarily involved they should have, but that time came and went. When it became clear no help was coming to the Syrian people like the Libyans received, thats when they took up arms and basically everything that Russia was claiming became a self fulfilling prophecy. Now there really were rebel fighters and even some foreign jihadists. This was bound to happen as you cant expect people to get slaughtered en masse forever before they start fighting back, but at the same time its given legitimacy to those who want to see the regime stay in power like Iran and Russia.

It's almost like Bashar had a list of things to do written by daddy Hafez Assad back in 1982:

-Seal off the city
-Kill everyone opposing you
-Get Robert Fisk to write about the poor government soldiers having to deal with all this

And then expect it still to work 30 years on.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Now Lebanon has taken a look at the foreign arms I've been writing up and come up with a few theories.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
An article on the dangers journalists face in Syria, from government and opposition forces by BBC reported Paul Wood:

In Syria, Facing Danger From All Sides
https://www.cpj.org/2013/02/attacks-on-the-press-on-syrias-front-lines.php#more

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

quote:

extremists try and turn Syria into a 'Pure Socialist' economy

Can I get a link to some more reading material?

A year or two ago I had read that Yemeni communist activity was occurring in relation to the Arab Spring, the terrorism/Al Qaida situation there, and the general crackdown. Anything ever come of this?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Are you referring to the Southern Movement in Yemen? Not exactly communist these days, though they lean left.

Andy Carvin namedropped you in his atlantic article, Brown Moses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Xandu posted:

Andy Carvin namedropped you in his atlantic article, Brown Moses.

Thanks, just found it, "the Brown Moses blog, which does an amazing job at identifying munitions being used in Syria", nice.

• Locked thread