Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

It depends. Is your first child an "outdoor" child or do you let it in the house?

Holy poo poo why have I never thought of this. Surely they're as independent as mere kittens. My first kid is living outside and only coming around for the food bowl when they can't get a better offer from the neighbors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Man, you need to get a better job/boss. I took two of my staff on a two hour lunch break today because they're both interested in buying bikes and there's a couple of dealers in (extended) walking distance from the office. One of them's getting an NC700 though, I can't help but feel I've failed somehow :/

Nah, it's more of an actual bike than a scooter. If it helps, think of it as a gateway drug. Eventually he'll decide he wants something faster/better/nicer.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I knew a Russian kid who modified scooters to go highway speeds and made some pretty sweet custom ones as well. He eventually graduated to a proper motorcycle. :smug:

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

I just started riding last fall, and while I wait for spring to roll around, does anybody have any recommendations for sites/books where I can learn how my bike works and how to take care of it? I mean this as a person who figured out how a combustion engine works a week ago.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Highly recommend buying the factory service manual. It is the only correct way to do maintenance on your specific bike. If it's an older model, read up on a valve check/adjustment and do one yourself. Very rewarding and you can't actually mess up much doing a valve adjustment if you're sure to check it after you re-assemble.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Highly recommend buying the factory service manual. It is the only correct way to do maintenance on your specific bike. If it's an older model, read up on a valve check/adjustment and do one yourself. Very rewarding and you can't actually mess up much doing a valve adjustment if you're sure to check it after you re-assemble.

for the record: I did my first valve job on my 08+ Ninja 250 with shim-under-buckets. Yes, it took me forever but I did have valves out of check and I did get them fixed. The bike actually runs better and I feel great knowing that I did it myself!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I want a Ducati Sport Classic.

That is all.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I want a Moto Guzzi V7 Racer and a MV Agusta Brutale 750.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I want an Aprilia RSV-R.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I want a Daytona 675 engine in a chopped scrambler frame, keeping the high pipe and knobbies, speed triple forks and the best suspension and brakes money can buy.

I want an awful mishmash of classicish and modern, my own futurebrat :colbert:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
On dirt that'd be awful. Twin discs would lock up knobbies at the first hint of lever travel I'd imagine. Would look badass though.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

BlackMK4 posted:

That is all.

I loved them when they came out but at the time they weren't my style. Prices for used ones now are just silly. I figure you could get something very similar starting from a Monster or even an 800SS and relaxing the ergos, for a lot less money.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

That is all.

Yeeeeaaaah

(not mine, it's my dad's bike)

Unrelated, my buddy got knocked off his bike today. He's fine, but his bike is hosed up. We were out for a ride and some idiot in a van merged into his lane and straight into his rear wheel. I'll post some photos when he uploads them. Ironically, his brake pedal snapped about 20 minutes before and we were heading to a dealer, so that brake pedal might result in the whole bike being written off.

Edit:

Damage photos

Brake fluid

Frankston fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 18, 2013

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I want to live somewhere that isn't flat and full of ruler straight roads.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

thylacine posted:

I want to live somewhere that isn't flat and full of ruler straight roads.

You can use large parts of Illinois state road maps as graph paper. It's disgusting.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Nerobro posted:

You can use large parts of Illinois state road maps as graph paper. It's disgusting.

This is a fact. Other terrible part of IL is ...winter. Some of you may be tough, but Im not riding in sub 20deg weather :(

Spring can't come soon enough.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I don't do ice. I can accept snow. But as soon as it's been salted I won't ride in it.

My bikes are huddling in the corner of my garage for most of the next month.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Any of you Australia or Japan guys have input on the Suzuki GSX250F/Across from the 90's? Guy at work is selling his cheap and other than a carb cleaning and tires it looks like it could be an odd little bike to add to the collection.

Can't go wrong with 250cc inline 4 that revs to 16,500rpm right?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

BlackMK4 posted:

That is all.

I can't imagine why. :getin:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Any of you Australia or Japan guys have input on the Suzuki GSX250F/Across from the 90's? Guy at work is selling his cheap and other than a carb cleaning and tires it looks like it could be an odd little bike to add to the collection.

How the gently caress did one of those end up in the states? Goddamn. You should buy it just for the giggles of having a 4 cylinder 250.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Revs to 16,5 in a I4 250? So that means you take it to around 9 or 10 to get rolling from a stop then?

I'd love a little bike like that but I bet it would be a nightmare for anything but a backroads ride. You'd have to be riding it like it was a street race too, I know on a Ninjette that if you're a gear too high exiting the corner it doesn't pull and you lose all momentum...imagine what that must be like.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

nsaP posted:

it would be a nightmare for anything but a backroads ride. You'd have to be riding it like it was a street race too, I know on a Ninjette that if you're a gear too high exiting the corner it doesn't pull and you lose all momentum...imagine what that must be like.

This is how my DT is on the street, and it's a goddamn riot.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

NitroSpazzz posted:

I had a GSX-R250 with the exact same engine. The carbs are a nightmare to get right and it revs at 10k at 100km/h. Other than that it was a fairly normal small bike. Be prepared for the slightest fault with a coil, lead, plug, carb etc leading to it running like absolute poo poo. They are ridiculously sensitive to the slightest changes. You also may or may not have difficulty finding decent tyres because some of them have strange wheel sizes, I'm not sure about the across.

You also don't have to rev it THAT high to get it to take off, I routinely blew away ninja 250's and hyosung 250's (when it was running right). The performance isn't even close, it's more akin to a slow 400 twin power-wise.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

NitroSpazzz posted:

pretty much the same engine as my old bandit 250, great fun but carb parts may be almost impossible to get if you need them.
what year is it? up until 1992 they had 45hp engines, afterwards only 40

edit: you guys have some strange notions about their "lack" of power. It'll pull away fine from idle, it just gets to be fun above 10k

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

1994 so it's the downgraded 40hp which seems pretty good for a 250cc. If I can talk the guy down a bit I'll pick it up as a project to play with for a bit then commute and flip. Sounds like the plastics might be in rough shape so it'll likely be turned into a mini streetfighter if I do buy it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

echomadman posted:

edit: you guys have some strange notions about their "lack" of power. It'll pull away fine from idle, it just gets to be fun above 10k

You reading this thread pretending to be ThatCGuy? No one said they lack power at all. I made a tongue in cheek comment about having to rev to 10k to get rolling and everyone else said they aren't really like that? The closest anyone came to saying that lack power is noting the characteristics of the motor...high revs at cruising speed, gotta keep the revs up on corner exits, and apparently they're finicky to get running right.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

NitroSpazzz posted:

1994 so it's the downgraded 40hp which seems pretty good for a 250cc. If I can talk the guy down a bit I'll pick it up as a project to play with for a bit then commute and flip. Sounds like the plastics might be in rough shape so it'll likely be turned into a mini streetfighter if I do buy it.

I think I have some parts left from mine, maybe even a carb bank. I'll have a rummage around. i have the Across service manual in pdf format too but its an awful black and white scan.

edit:

nsaP posted:

You reading this thread pretending to be ThatCGuy?

not cool man, added to ignore list

echomadman fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 20, 2013

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

nsaP posted:

You reading this thread pretending to be ThatCGuy? No one said they lack power at all. I made a tongue in cheek comment about having to rev to 10k to get rolling and everyone else said they aren't really like that? The closest anyone came to saying that lack power is noting the characteristics of the motor...high revs at cruising speed, gotta keep the revs up on corner exits, and apparently they're finicky to get running right.

God you're the worst nsaP no one likes you and your mom told me she wished you had never been born.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

HNasty posted:

God you're the worst nsaP no one likes you and your mom told me she wished you had never been born.

I'm choosing to read this as you being the best of friends :3:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

I'm choosing to read this as you being the best of friends :3:

I consider you all my friends it's not your fault you're bad at bieks, bad at lifes, and get no play from da ladiez

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NitroSpazzz posted:

Well, one major way that it's wrong is that you could be getting a 250cc inline 4 that revs to 20,000 RPM instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN2hag8J1rY

:getin:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Well, one major way that it's wrong is that you could be getting a 250cc inline 4 that revs to 20,000 RPM instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN2hag8J1rY

:getin:

I love coming up behind guys lane-splitting on these.

-mraaaaaaaWOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHTWAAAAAAAAAAAAHTWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHT-*is doing 60km/h. One of them tried to race me on an empty stretch of motorway when I had a 919; he changed gear three times while I rolled half throttle in fourth. Sounded awesome with a hollowed out can though.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Never seen one of those for sale even remotely near me but if I did I'd be really tempted to pick it up. Almost had a Aprilia RS250 but a friend beat me too it.

poo poo no one post awesome bikes in my area, this one is already eating into my welder budget a little bit.

\/\/Wow that music is amazing I love the 80's\/\/

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 20, 2013

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
here's the whole gang of 250cc race reps back in 1989
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGhDlAFn5S8

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Somewhat related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OifcVw97hK8

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Slavvy posted:

-mraaaaaaaWOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHTWAAAAAAAAAAAAHTWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHT-*is doing 60km/h. One of them tried to race me on an empty stretch of motorway when I had a 919; he changed gear three times while I rolled half throttle in fourth. Sounded awesome with a hollowed out can though.

My first bike was a CBR250RR MC22, and yeah, it was rev happy. Needed 6k to ride around town at all, and would buzz at 11 or so on the highway. An hour of that and my hand was totally numb.

Using high octane fuel also doubled the range out of the tank.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

snail posted:

Using high octane fuel also doubled the range out of the tank.

That means you had other things wrong with the bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nerobro posted:

Not necessarily, mine ran like dogshit on regular octane too. Remember the pistons are half the size of a salt shaker and the plugs not much bigger and the coils are tiny. Everything is tiny and sensitive.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nerobro posted:

It has a compression ratio of 11.5:1 and spins 20,000 RPM. The bike was probably just designed exclusively for high-octane fuel, which also explains why it was running like poo poo whenever he filled it up with regular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Sagebrush posted:

It has a compression ratio of 11.5:1 and spins 20,000 RPM. The bike was probably just designed exclusively for high-octane fuel, which also explains why it was running like poo poo whenever he filled it up with regular.

The manual claims normal unleaded was fine, but who knows, it could have been a grey import tuning thing. Given the price difference for a tank of fuel was a dollar or two, it was going to cost more to figure out why my MC22 and those of my friends all got significantly more range on premium, than it cost in fuel. The bike still ran fine on normal unleaded meaning my cheap brother would buy it. I'd have to switch to reserve at 110km/h on the highway as it started spluttering as the tank ran dry.

A quick Googling says people get 180km - 200km on a tank of normal unleaded. Putting premium in, I'd get 270 or so. Around 130-150 on a tank of normal unleaded.

In hindsight, I may have been more of a hamfisted squid than I recall