Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Nightblade posted:

There's one in March of the Eagles\_CommonRedist\DotNet\4.0 Client Profile

Vodos posted:

I was gonna say "delete the installscript.vdf" in the game's folder but mine is also doing it and the file isn't in the folder. I'm pretty sure that's how it worked for CK2.

Thank you for this! I thought it was only me that had this issue because I got a couple .NET error messages the day after MotE's release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
I have an issue with confusing diplomacy in MotE, relating to conquering things while part of a coalition.

I'm Spain, in a coalition with France (the single player game could use some mod that gives Napoleon a chance to betray the Spanish like he did in real life, by the way) and I cannot conquer Portugal. What happens, every year when the truce ends, is that I declare war on Portugal, beat the poo poo out of them, and then Portugal rejoins the major English-French war and my war against them is considered part of that now. So I don't get to make peace with them and instead France peaces out by letting them concede defeat.

How the hell do I get around this? Do I have to leave the coalition first?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
As far as I know (see: Playing three or so games on a friend's account), you will need to end your coalition in order to annex Portugal like you want to. That or tag over to France, get Portugal to end their alliance with GB, and hope they don't reform it.

Also, on the topic of requests for MotE features; a way to get generals and admirals. Like maybe an event after a large land or naval battle where you can gain a general/admiral, maybe every 25 or so prestige you can recruit a new one, maybe make them cost $500, just something so as Egypt I am have some ability to actually staff my 80k man army with more than three leaders, and actually staff my fleet.

And maybe for DLC or something, an idea I had was objectives for minor nations; as Egypt for example, force the Ottomans out the Middle East, as Wallachia unite Romania, as Italy unite Italy, as the Dutchy of Warsaw (should they form and someone plays as them) survive and retake all Polish and Lithuanian land, etc. Obviously completing these objectives doesn't win you the game, but if you complete these objectives when the game ends (one of the great powers has total land or naval dominance or time runs out) you get a minor victory same as the GP with the most prestige... I want my "you win" screen :saddowns:. More importantly though it gives you some objectives as a minor nation which makes playing as them have more of a point.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 20, 2013

Enrico Dandolo
Aug 6, 2010

Guildencrantz posted:

I have an issue with confusing diplomacy in MotE, relating to conquering things while part of a coalition.

I'm Spain, in a coalition with France (the single player game could use some mod that gives Napoleon a chance to betray the Spanish like he did in real life, by the way) and I cannot conquer Portugal. What happens, every year when the truce ends, is that I declare war on Portugal, beat the poo poo out of them, and then Portugal rejoins the major English-French war and my war against them is considered part of that now. So I don't get to make peace with them and instead France peaces out by letting them concede defeat.

How the hell do I get around this? Do I have to leave the coalition first?

Leave the coalition then also find a way out of the Anglo-French War. In my game Britain annexed Tunisia and Tripolitania, so I went over and took all those provinces before I could finally sign a white peace, then I was free to annex Portugal on my own.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Darkrenown posted:

This is stuff I can't answer in detail, but a bunch of us think the randomised new world idea is cool, and SI did well enough not to rule out further ahistorical DLCs.
Would be nice if you could add an option to preserve TI when you select a save game in the same DLC (if you ever make it), to prevent the player accidentally seeing things they wouldn't normally be able to. I guess this might also be generally useful in a multiplayer setting, though I don't speak from experience.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Darkrenown posted:

This is stuff I can't answer in detail, but a bunch of us think the randomised new world idea is cool, and SI did well enough not to rule out further ahistorical DLCs.

:kiddo: Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy! I hope you do! :kiddo:

Regardless though, you should bring back the dynamic TI displayed on the mini-map that was in EUII. That was a neat little feature.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Darkrenown posted:

Just give me an ahistorical game where I can rise to the top as First Nations people and I'll never stop giving you money. :allears:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

JGBeagle posted:

Just give me an ahistorical game where I can rise to the top as First Nations people and I'll never stop giving you money. :allears:

One thing that is neat about the random map mod is that it's a nice proof of concept that their engine and map system would work well with random maps if they ever did a Civilization/Master of Magic/Whatever non-historical game.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

Maybe it's a terrible idea but I would love a fantasy themed strategy game of paradox ilk. Totally made up history.. controlling vampires or wizards or werewolf clans... Anything that wasn't just straight history. I love your strategy games but it would be nice to see you deviate more from history just once and just build an entire world of fantasy who's mythos you guys could expand on.

And yea I doubt I'll ever see this after that sunset invasion rage.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Ever tried King of Dragon Pass? It's a game of managing fantasy barbarian clan and basically half of it is CYOAing through various events and event chains.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

no but I will probably now.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Gog.com updated it for modern systems recently and is selling it for six bucks. Grab it there, or the iOS port.

You won't regret it, the game is awesome beyond mortal comprehension.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Zip posted:

The only rage I get from Sunset Invasion is from the pounding the Aztecs just gave me. There goes making Britannia before 1453. :argh:

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
What were the sales figures like for SI? I was under the impression it was fairly well received. Paradox forums don't count for much since anything you do is going to piss off some vocal minority there.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There was a King of Dragon Pass LP kicking around here somewhere that inspired me to buy the game off of Gog.com. I played it for a number of hours, but it has all sorts of arcane rules, an extremely clunky interface, and it struck me as really very shallow strategically. It's much more of a text/CYOA game with a very meagre graphical overlay than a strategy game. I would not recommend it, but it's cheap and I don't know your taste in games so you may enjoy it. Just wanted to chime in and provide another perspective.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Drink Cheerwine posted:

There was a King of Dragon Pass LP kicking around here somewhere that inspired me to buy the game off of Gog.com. I played it for a number of hours, but it has all sorts of arcane rules, an extremely clunky interface, and it struck me as really very shallow strategically. It's much more of a text/CYOA game with a very meagre graphical overlay than a strategy game. I would not recommend it, but it's cheap and I don't know your taste in games so you may enjoy it. Just wanted to chime in and provide another perspective.

Criticizing it for not being a strategy game is really odd when it doesn't aspire to be a really deep strategy game or anything. Dunno if you were expecting a Paradox style game or not, but it basically is a COYA as you say, with a strategy metagame attached. Except it's an incredibly good COYA with lots of interesting events and a narrative that changes depending on the strategic choices you make. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who plays CK2 for the characters, and wants a way more character-heavy game without the complex strategy stuff.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Lichtenstein posted:

Gog.com updated it for modern systems recently and is selling it for six bucks. Grab it there, or the iOS port.

You won't regret it, the game is awesome beyond mortal comprehension.

How did I miss this? I was annoyed when the updated Iphone version came out that there was no updated PC version. But there is! Thanks!

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

Darkrenown posted:

Not sure why you think a little "whelp, pack it up guys" joke implies I am flipping out, I answered one silly comment with another. The only thing that slightly bugged me was his claiming I misquoted him.

My apologies, it appears I inserted the Edit with clarification on the very next post of mine instead, when someone asked me what I meant. In any event this argument is getting silly and slightly disruptive to the thread; perhaps we should cease our back and forth and White Peace out?

Gorgo Primus fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 20, 2013

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Darkrenown posted:

In other news, I posted a little thing on the V2 facebook page.

I went to FB so you don't have to!

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Criticizing it for not being a strategy game is really odd when it doesn't aspire to be a really deep strategy game or anything. Dunno if you were expecting a Paradox style game or not, but it basically is a COYA as you say, with a strategy metagame attached. Except it's an incredibly good COYA with lots of interesting events and a narrative that changes depending on the strategic choices you make. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who plays CK2 for the characters, and wants a way more character-heavy game without the complex strategy stuff.

The reason I criticized it for being light on the strategy was because it was recommended in response to this post:

Zip posted:

Maybe it's a terrible idea but I would love a fantasy themed strategy game of paradox ilk. Totally made up history.. controlling vampires or wizards or werewolf clans... Anything that wasn't just straight history. I love your strategy games but it would be nice to see you deviate more from history just once and just build an entire world of fantasy who's mythos you guys could expand on.

Which is looking for a paradox-esque strategy game in a fantasy setting.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
MotE has a demo on Steam.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
So is the sphere of influence minigame not boring now?

Zip posted:

Dominions 3 is pretty close to this. Has a very active goon multiplayer community but the single player AI is almost brain-dead

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 21, 2013

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Ill check out Dominions 3 and yea Wine is kind of right in that I would like a fantasy themed paradox grand strategy game but that CYOA game looked pretty good.

It just trips me out with how well they do detailing historic events, don't you think if they unleashed fantasy on top of their grand strategy games they'd create something spectacular? I mean a cyberpunk grand strategy game or a fantasy one. Jesus Christ I would never leave the god damned house.

Or hell a grand strategy secret society one that has similar themes for The Secret World but you know... Actually fun? (Sorry to any tsw fans in advanced. Not trying to stir poo poo up)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

V for Vegas posted:

I went to FB so you don't have to!

You kinda need the quote to give context

"In 1850 things were looking good for the Ottoman Empire, a successful war had just been concluded, re-taking large areas recently lost to the Egyptian rebellion, and greatly raising the prestige of the nation which was now reckoned to be the 5th Greatest Power in all the world. The Empire hoped to enter a period of stability and development, but this was not to be. Unruly Greek subjects in the Ottoman state of Thesslia, supported by the neighbouring Greek nation, had used the distraction of the latest war to stage several large demonstrations against Ottoman rule. While normally no more than a minor concern, this time Greece had been able to attract international interest in the Thesslian uprising, and Great Britain had expressed sympathy towards the Greek's position that Thesslia should be governed by them. The stage was set for an international crisis."

So it sounds like they'll be adding cultural uprisings with other great powers showing interest.

Ideally this means a lot of English colonies will now revolt which could help cut down England's power.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Paradox, what are you planning for the PS4, I saw your logo at the presentation. :colbert:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
There's a Nazi called Desert Tiger who keeps showing up on the Darkest Hour forums and I wish someone would ban him

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The lack of (random) leaders in MOTE is really a drag. The rest of the game is tight and focused and fast and plays well and fits "Hearts of Napoleon" to a T, but not being able to field commanders for your armies feels really awkward, especially when you're a very large nation like The Ottomans. Perhaps throw it in as a checkbox ahistorical option?

Gort posted:

There's a Nazi called Desert Tiger who keeps showing up on the Darkest Hour forums and I wish someone would ban him
I spent 5 mins in the DH forums and learned more than I ever wanted to know about naval combat, and then there was that time before when I learned that infantry spam still works in DH-Full. Thanks! :angel:

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 21, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Raserys posted:

Paradox, what are you planning for the PS4, I saw your logo at the presentation. :colbert:

Probably a published title.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Europa Universalis 4 will be a launch title for the PS4.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 21, 2013

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kainser posted:

Europa Universalis 4 will be an exclusive launch title for the PS4.
This is their settlement with Ubik, who will of course release the most perfect game, Magna Mundi, to satisfy the disappointed masses looking for a replacement to EU3.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
Is anyone else unable to download the March of the Eagles demo?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Zip posted:

Ill check out Dominions 3 and yea Wine is kind of right in that I would like a fantasy themed paradox grand strategy game but that CYOA game looked pretty good.

It just trips me out with how well they do detailing historic events, don't you think if they unleashed fantasy on top of their grand strategy games they'd create something spectacular? I mean a cyberpunk grand strategy game or a fantasy one. Jesus Christ I would never leave the god damned house.

Or hell a grand strategy secret society one that has similar themes for The Secret World but you know... Actually fun? (Sorry to any tsw fans in advanced. Not trying to stir poo poo up)

I'd play the poo poo out of a globe-spanning strategy game in which you run the Illuminati or something. Infiltrate organizations, spread disinformation, use pawns and intermediaries to advance your goals, and feud with other secret societies. 'Our agent at Nellis Air Force Base has died under mysterious circumstances! Your spymaster believes The Lizard People were involved.' 'The International Liberal Agenda has declared war on the United States! They cite "Enforce Agenda 21" as their casus belli.'

Seriously, just give me a world map and shitloads of options for espionage and subversion and general underhanded dickery and cram every possible out-there conspiracy theory in there. I'd play forever.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I just discovered an entire album of Landsknechte songs that is completely amazing as background for EU3 (EU4?). Pity it's apparently out of stock and near-impossible to legitimately acquire a copy of it (eBay included), but still. My favourite song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pGjITOezVk

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 21, 2013

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
March of the Eagles is pretty drat awesome!

The ledger is really neat!

Does anyone know if there is DLC planned for it? I've been wanting a Victoria III which focuses more on warfare.

I also love how I can tweak things in Paradox games. I hate things like end dates hanging over my head. I'm not in a rush to conquer europe!

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Every human being deserves respect. Even if if they are a little different.
I'm not sure if it's frowned upon here to come and be all 'hurr how do i play?" but can anyone recommend a good tutorial/guide for the orginal Victoria? I read the Republic of Texas lp on the archive and was inspired to buy it, but the OP wasn't kidding when he said that the learning curve was more like a wall. I looked around on the internet but there seems to be strangely little written about Victoria 1. I found a tutorial scenario that I played and it helped me understand the UI somewhat, and I tried out the Brazil tutorial on vickywiki but so much of it went over my head.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
So I was wondering if someone with more experience than me could decipher this Dissolve HRE decision. The code for it says that in order for the decision to even show up the HRE has to exist and Austria has to be it's overlord. However the requirements for actually executing the decision requires that you simultaneously have a truce with Austria and control certain HRE provinces. The problem with this is that you cannot free the HRE to war with them while you have a truce with Austria because they have to be an Austrian satellite, and you can't war with Austria to control them because you have to have a truce with them. I've tried just eating the one province that I actually needed but that removes the decision for me. I tried several times in different ways and every time I actually fulfilled the conditions to fire it I had somehow betrayed the requirements that allow it to show up. Here's the code http://pastebin.com/A0W8SgMB.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Darkrenown posted:

I fully appreciate this doesn't even begin to approach any sort of pledge or promise, but it is really awesome and reassuring to see you say this. I sincerely hope it proves viable for you to put out occasional things of this nature because they can truly add so much to the replayability.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Jygallax posted:

I'm not sure if it's frowned upon here to come and be all 'hurr how do i play?" but can anyone recommend a good tutorial/guide for the orginal Victoria? I read the Republic of Texas lp on the archive and was inspired to buy it, but the OP wasn't kidding when he said that the learning curve was more like a wall. I looked around on the internet but there seems to be strangely little written about Victoria 1. I found a tutorial scenario that I played and it helped me understand the UI somewhat, and I tried out the Brazil tutorial on vickywiki but so much of it went over my head.

I'm glad you enjoyed the LP. The best resource for learning stuff in Victoria is the VickyWiki and, well, just playing it. It took me a long time get over the learning wall back when Victoria was new, but that was without any resources except the original manual and the general Vicky discussion forum. Also check out the Victoria LibrAARy for more LPs.

is there something in particular you are struggling with, or do you just need somewhere to start?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

NihilCredo posted:

I just discovered an entire album of Landsknechte songs that is completely amazing as background for EU3 (EU4?). Pity it's apparently out of stock and near-impossible to legitimately acquire a copy of it (eBay included), but still. My favourite song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pGjITOezVk

Assuming EUIV has the same ability to script music using the event system, putting together an EUII style music pack that changes for different eras is going to be a priority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jygallax posted:

I'm going to attempt to make the Victoria 1 Brazil guide a bit easier to digest. Let me know if this gets through to you:

Moving the tax sliders to 49%, setting the tariffs to maximum and setting army and navy spending to zero is so your nation is turning a profit and can therefore start buying stuff you need to kickstart industrialization. Another note is that 49% is the highest you can go without causing militancy among your people, although sometimes it can't be helped if you really need to get out of a deficit.

Education needs to be set to maximum (as long as you can afford it) to increase the literacy of your people. Better literacy means the country gains research points faster, which means technology advances come faster.

Crime Spending will prevent productivity-reducing modifiers from activating in your provinces. 50% prevents new ones from coming up, while anything above that will remove ones that are already there.

Machine Parts need to be set to manual control and to "buy up to 10" because you're going to need Machine Parts to build factories. Doing this early on lets you get a head start on buying them up, because as a Secondary Power, you're far down the list of who gets first dibs.

Researching a Cultural tech will cause Prestige-increasing events to trigger. If you get it before anyone else does, you get much more Prestige. Prestige is important because it's one of the three metrics that determine your rank amongst other nations (the other two being Industrial and Military Power). As the guide says, you may well be the first guy to discover the Cultural tech because the Great Powers will be either researching Military or Industrial techs to maintain parity with their neighbors. Snatching a quick Prestige boost this early will dramatically increase your ranking.

Once you've researched some Industry techs (and have enough Machine Parts, which you should because you planned ahead), you will be able to build factories. This is important because it increases your Industrial Score and they're much more profitable than having a nation full of miners and farmers. Alternatively, your nation might have a Laissez Faire or Interventionist economy, at which point you need to promote some POPs into Capitalists, reduce the upper-class taxes as low as possible, and let them build the factories for you.

This takes us to population: Filling up your factories with workers is going to take a LOT of people. In order to increase your nation's population, you have to research the Medicine track of Industrial techs, as well as implement social and political reforms, because the more welfare state you are and the more liberal your nation's electoral laws (up to a full Democracy), the more attractive your country is to immigrants.

Of course, things like pensions and healthcare cost money to maintain, which is why you're industrializing to begin with.

After Prestige and Industry, comes the Military: Not only do you need a large military in and of itself for the score, but you're also expected to use this military to conquer various nations. Taking over a country has a three-fold effect: You can now draw the raw material from those provinces directly instead of waiting for it to become available on the world market, it increases your prestige, and it gives you more potential immigrants for your factories (and soldiers for your armies).

What is the point of all this?

A coal mine in Victoria will produce coal infinitely and forever, but the bottleneck is the bandwidth. That is, at some point all the coal mines in the world will be fully staffed with all the latest technology, but it's still not going to be enough to feed all of the factories that need coal. The #1 scoring country will get first dibs on the world market, and so will be able to keep its factories running, but country #8 or #10 might not be able to keep the lights running and its economy will crash from lack of resources.

Therefore, one might say that the goal of the game is to increase your Prestige, Industrial and Military scores until you break into the top spots, and keep increasing your score to maintain your lead so that you will never be left behind in picking through leftover product on the world market.

How to increase your score in the first place falls mostly to industrialization, so you can afford a military and social reforms to keep growing your population so you can staff your factories to increase your military further and so on and so forth.

• Locked thread