Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Yeah, souls series is about cautious exploration and short but deadly encounters. MH is about the grind and co-oping with buddies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Bland posted:

Yeah I know I was bewildered that he could see the game as "Trial and error" because it's an immensely skill and tactics based game

You only get skilled at it by trying stuff. :kamina:

Having played the series since it came to the PSP, it's really not the the easiest game to get into and there is a steep learning curve. Yes the bosses will telegraph most things, but none of their weak areas are activly known until you find out how to break stuff(if you want to break everything a SNS is probably not going to be your ideal weapon). Elemental weaknesses are another thing that never fully explained until you're well into the game and can forge stuff from monsters with elemental properties. Until you have the blueprints in the armor shop to the monster's armor set you usualy can't tell who's weak or resistant against what(the armor reflects the real strengths weakness to the actual monsters), and you only know to check the armorshop and look at the strong/weak armor stats because other players told you or you checked online for a guide.

The game doesn't even tell you that you need to play with the pig and press the button at the exact right time(with no indication other than music) to get the pig to react in a positive manner in order to get bonus items from each hunt. This is why the pig exists in the first place. Heck the non-elemental bonus effects from armor arn't even fully explained. Not only that they're named ungodly strange names that almost have nothing to do with what the actual skill does in a few cases.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 21, 2013

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Just so everyone knows, the Monster Hunter demo has a relatively involved manual that teaches controls and combos for your chosen character. Don't overlook it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Well the first boss fight in Tri was an amazing tutorial. Has two spots to hit: The head and the body. One of the side-objectives is to stun it/break its crown, and you learn very quickly that hitting it in the face not only deals more damage but causes part breaks for more loot.

Royal ludroth, first tail-cut, also has a tail-cut side-quest and very simple breaks. Tri was pretty drat good at showing the player how to play the game without telling them. This demo is not.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Soul Glo posted:

Are you actually reading my posts that you can't stop quoting? I literally said that BC is a nice bonus. I didn't say people who appreciate it are whiny. I said people who demand it, who stomp their feet like children when they don't get it, are whiny and entitled. Posting is only half of being on a message board, the other half is actually reading what you respond to.

:psyduck:

Uh? I'm trying to stay on topic while trying to understand why you think I or someone else is a child and you're getting upset. Whatever, dude. I don't think I'll miss anything by adding you to the ignore list.

Artix posted:

The Game Boy Player.

Yes! I couldn't stop thinking of SNES's Super Game Boy. It even plays old Game Boy games, for the most part (I think there are a few conflicts.)

I wonder if there's a way to hook it up to a Wii or other system? Even with modding...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Well the first boss fight in Tri was an amazing tutorial. Has two spots to hit: The head and the body. One of the side-objectives is to stun it/break its crown, and you learn very quickly that hitting it in the face not only deals more damage but causes part breaks for more loot.

Royal ludroth, first tail-cut, also has a tail-cut side-quest and very simple breaks. Tri was pretty drat good at showing the player how to play the game without telling them. This demo is not.

For what it's worth regarding the demo, it's much better than the demo of Tri I played at a Capcom community day before it came out. Monster Hunter has always been terrible at teaching you how to play though so I wasn't expecting anything different here, I just wanted to see if it looked as pretty as I'd hoped and I was at least satisfied on that front.

Zip posted:

Are there any strategy games for this system that are decent? Even downloadable ones? I was planning on getting the system but I had some sudden expenses. We can still afford to get it but I'm not sure I want to unless there's definitely a decent strategy game for it. :-/.

Pikmin 3 is going to be out later in the year, that's about it right now though unless a Fire Emblem game gets announced at E3.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

njsykora posted:

For what it's worth regarding the demo, it's much better than the demo of Tri I played at a Capcom community day before it came out. Monster Hunter has always been terrible at teaching you how to play though so I wasn't expecting anything different here, I just wanted to see if it looked as pretty as I'd hoped and I was at least satisfied on that front.

Pikmin 3 is going to be out later in the year, that's about it right now though unless a Fire Emblem game gets announced at E3.

A Fire Emblem game has already been announced

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Red posted:

Uh? I'm trying to stay on topic while trying to understand why you think I or someone else is a child and you're getting upset. Whatever, dude. I don't think I'll miss anything by adding you to the ignore list.

I think he was criticizing people throwing a tantrum because a console doesn't have backwards compatibility. At some point it has to stop because the way most of these consoles have been doing it is just by adding the hardware in the new system. It obviously isn't that important considering that the 360, Ps3, and Wii eventually dumped it as well as the portable consoles over time. Gamers aren't buying these consoles for the backwards compatibility.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Backwards compatibility is a feature for the users who are transitioning to a new console early in its lifespan. After a while you reach a point where essentially nobody buying the console has a game collection from the previous one, so it makes sense to cut that cost.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

WendigoJohnson posted:

Also Bows and Bowguns are cumbersome as all hell.

And then some. Played the demo and went with the Heavy Bowgun first and always had a hell of a time getting a good opening to unload. Really dug on the longsword though.

Bobnumerotres posted:

There are none nor are there any planned. PC is where you want to be for strategy games dude. Maybe they'll come a few years down the road but right now the only reason to pick up a Wii U is for Nintendo Land and Monster hunter, or maybe the promise of smash bros.

And NSMBU and ZombiU and Sonic Racing. Also Fire Emblem X SMT is supposed to be a strategy game.

\/\/\/\/\/ EDIT:

Soul Glo posted:

Does the Monster Hunter demo have online play? I know that's a long shot, but I've never played a MH game online, and if I think it's fun that'd be a good reason to give that series another shot after not getting hooked having played some of Unite and Tri solo.

Nah, it's just a really basic drop you into one map where you go track down and kill a boss for beginners and advanced is a different map/boss combo. Really barebones but you can get the jist of it with some trial and error.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 21, 2013

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Does the Monster Hunter demo have online play? I know that's a long shot, but I've never played a MH game online, and if I think it's fun that'd be a good reason to give that series another shot after not getting hooked having played some of Unite and Tri solo.

blackguy32 posted:

I think he was criticizing people throwing a tantrum because a console doesn't have backwards compatibility. At some point it has to stop because the way most of these consoles have been doing it is just by adding the hardware in the new system. It obviously isn't that important considering that the 360, Ps3, and Wii eventually dumped it as well as the portable consoles over time. Gamers aren't buying these consoles for the backwards compatibility.

Eh, save your breath, that dude is pretty much baiting and trolling.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Red posted:

Yes! I couldn't stop thinking of SNES's Super Game Boy. It even plays old Game Boy games, for the most part (I think there are a few conflicts.)

I wonder if there's a way to hook it up to a Wii or other system? Even with modding...
There's not because it uses a port that doesn't exist on Wii. I think Datel made their own Gameboy Player that did work with Wii until System Menu v3.0.

Now that Nintendo's VC has expanded to GB/GBC/GG titles and (soon) GBA, I can't imagine they allow any such peripheral to work with Wii or Wii U. They want you to rebuy that poo poo.

Since they said GBA is going to be on Wii U's eShop I'm wondering if the Wii U/3DS eShops will eventually merge. I mean the Nintendo Network is supposed to come to mobile phones right? Not that Nintendo ever does the thing that makes the most sense, but it would make the most sense to merge the eShops (and accounts/balances) and let you access them from any device so you can buy stuff remotely and have it download automatically.

I can't imagine an original gameboy game would look very good at all blown up on a 40 inch HDTV but I'd still like to see it!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 21, 2013

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

Backwards compatibility is a feature for the users who are transitioning to a new console early in its lifespan. After a while you reach a point where essentially nobody buying the console has a game collection from the previous one, so it makes sense to cut that cost.

I suppose. It really isn't very smart in the financial sense since you can wait for a console to have less problems and your previous system doesn't magically stop working the instant a new one comes out. Not to mention the price cuts.

I will grant the Wii an exception because those Gamecube ports were important and they took them away when some Wii games used them.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Commissar Ken posted:

And NSMBU and ZombiU and Sonic Racing. Also Fire Emblem X SMT is supposed to be a strategy game.

I was saying in general. ZombiU will appeal to a niche amount of people, and even within that niche those people have the following complaints:
1. Game is short
2. Melee combat is awful
3. Doesn't exactly look that great and level design doesn't hold up all that often.

NSMBU is pretty much only for hardcore mario fans. If you tried out one of the other NSMBs and feel you had your fill, NSMBU is more of the same. Polished, pretty, and the level design is the best out of all of them by far, but it's still more of the same.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I don't want to say that you're just flatout wrong or anything, but the NSMB series is not even remotely aimed at hardcore Mario fans. NSMBDS is one of the highest selling handheld games in history, and NSMBWii outsold both Mario Galaxies. Combined.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 22, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

deadwing posted:

Just so everyone knows, the Monster Hunter demo has a relatively involved manual that teaches controls and combos for your chosen character. Don't overlook it.

Gotta stress this, please read it. I spent years without really playing Monster Hunter, scrubbed it up supremely with great sword, then took 20 minutes out of my day to watch SocialDissonance's Great Sword tutorials and read the manual then defeated the snow rabbit in half the amount of time it took the first go around. A little knowledge goes a long way!

Still gently caress that Plesioth :mad:

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 22, 2013

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

I will grant the Wii an exception because those Gamecube ports were important and they took them away when some Wii games used them.

Eh, by the time Nintendo released the model without Gamecube ports, I doubt there were any Wii buyers left who had Gamecube controllers kicking around. No game required them, and even Brawl plays perfectly fine with the Classic.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

Eh, by the time Nintendo released the model without Gamecube ports, I doubt there were any Wii buyers left who had Gamecube controllers kicking around. No game required them, and even Brawl plays perfectly fine with the Classic.

It's pretty much the only way I can play the Metal Slug Anthology :smith:

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

I was saying in general. ZombiU will appeal to a niche amount of people, and even within that niche those people have the following complaints:
1. Game is short
2. Melee combat is awful
3. Doesn't exactly look that great and level design doesn't hold up all that often.

I wont argue 1 and 2 but all horror games are niche in comparison to well just about every other genre that being said a console needs those niche titles and different genre titles and if you enjoy any sort of horror game at all you really owe it to yourself to at least try the game (although I hear the demo is poo poo) because while it has those problems it really still has an atmospheric feel down pat with some genuine scary moments and that's more than I can say for just about every other 'horror' title in the last 10 years almost.

quote:

NSMBU is pretty much only for hardcore mario fans. If you tried out one of the other NSMBs and feel you had your fill, NSMBU is more of the same. Polished, pretty, and the level design is the best out of all of them by far, but it's still more of the same.

This one is off to me. I know YOU didn't like it because you've said that more than a few times but I wouldn't at all say it's only for hardcore mario fans. If you like platformers you'll like the game. Pretty simple. Really good level design and a bunch of little features that are nice. It's not fair to poo poo on this one because the others are similar but don't measure up to this one.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I don't want to say that you're just flatout wrong or anything, but the NSMB series is not even remotely aimed at hardcore Mario fans. NSMBDS is one of the highest selling handheld games in history, and NSMBWii outsold both Mario Galaxies. Combined.

I thin he ment 'hardcore' Mario fans in the way that they love Mario so much they'll buy anything with his face on it but even then it's not the case.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

I should've said dedicated, not hardcore. Most people have had their fill of Mario on other devices (Wii, DS, 3DS) and you need to be a pretty dedicated fan to have played those and still decide to drop 60 bucks on another one.

quote:

It's not fair to poo poo on this one because the others are similar but don't measure up to this one.
I said flat-out that it has the best level design of the whole series by a long-shot. It is a really, really fantastic game, whether it's worth full-price to someone who's played the others or not is going to vary.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 22, 2013

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Commissar Ken posted:

I wont argue 1 and 2 but all horror games are niche in comparison to well just about every other genre that being said a console needs those niche titles and different genre titles and if you enjoy any sort of horror game at all you really owe it to yourself to at least try the game (although I hear the demo is poo poo) because while it has those problems it really still has an atmospheric feel down pat with some genuine scary moments and that's more than I can say for just about every other 'horror' title in the last 10 years almost.

Dead Space is far from niche. There are non-niche horror games out there. Resident Evil 6 added some horror elements back to the series and while it didn't meet expectations, it still sold quite a bit. Although I think it is great that the horror genre has moved away from the clunky poo poo that it started off with.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

Dead Space is far from niche. There are non-niche horror games out there. Resident Evil 6 added some horror elements back to the series and while it didn't meet expectations, it still sold quite a bit. Although I think it is great that the horror genre has moved away from the clunky poo poo that it started off with.

There are non-niche horror games out there but i'd say the lion's share dont sell like Dead Space or Resident Evil, it's a shame but some people can deal with jumping over half walls and chainsawing mutants in the face but can't take a jump scare. I'll totally agree with you on being happy the horror genre has left it's clunky trappings. One thing I do miss though is pre-rendered backgrounds (IN CERTAIN CASES). Went back and played RE-Make and that game still holds up and looks great. Can do without tank controls though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Commissar Ken posted:

There are non-niche horror games out there but i'd say the lion's share dont sell like Dead Space or Resident Evil, it's a shame but some people can deal with jumping over half walls and chainsawing mutants in the face but can't take a jump scare. I'll totally agree with you on being happy the horror genre has left it's clunky trappings. One thing I do miss though is pre-rendered backgrounds (IN CERTAIN CASES). Went back and played RE-Make and that game still holds up and looks great. Can do without tank controls though.

To some degree I genuinely miss pre-rendered backgrounds and even tank controls in horror games, or even regular games in general. I too played REmake recently on my Wii U and just died a little inside thinking we'll never get a Resident Evil as good as it again.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Policenaut posted:

To some degree I genuinely miss pre-rendered backgrounds and even tank controls in horror games, or even regular games in general. I too played REmake recently on my Wii U and just died a little inside thinking we'll never get a Resident Evil as good as it again.

Resident Evil RevelAItons is getting a Wii U release. I thought it was pretty impressive for a 3DS game when I played through it. It had a decent amount of content, too, and is supposed to be getting enhancements for the Wii U release (May, I think).

I'm weird though, the only RE's I've liked enough to beat are that one and Operation Raccoon City. I hate tank controls and escort missions (RE 1-4), and I got stuck against two heavies in the last room of 5. Haven't played 6 yet, currently waiting for that to hit some bargain basement prices.

ninja edit: Is it okay to promote Let's Plays here? I had nothing to do with it, anyway. DoItToIt and friends played through some of the Resident Evil games, and what I've watched of them have been a lot of fun, his LP Archive profile is right here.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Commissar Ken posted:

And NSMBU and ZombiU and Sonic Racing.

You can also get Sonic Racing on PC/PS3/360, unless there's a reason to get the Wii U version above the others.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Wii U version is better than the other console ports but you should definitely be getting the PC version if it's an option, if only for 60FPS and beyond.

EDIT: the PC version also has a few exclusive characters - Total War Shogun, Football Manager guy and a TF2 kart.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 22, 2013

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Wii U version is better than the other console ports but you should definitely be getting the PC version if it's an option, if only for 60FPS and beyond.

Unless you like playing multiplayer, having one player on the Gamepad and one player on the main screen is a godsend, as well as being able to play with five players.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Bobnumerotres posted:

I should've said dedicated, not hardcore. Most people have had their fill of Mario on other devices (Wii, DS, 3DS) and you need to be a pretty dedicated fan to have played those and still decide to drop 60 bucks on another one.
Not everyone has though? It's one thing to say you're sick of NSMB because you've played them all, it's another to assume that everyone else feels the same way. I've only played NSMBW at a cousin's house and never touched the 3DS game because even before launch I thought the coins gimmick looked dumb. NSMBU is what I've been wanting from the series for years. I still say they should have called it New Super Mario World

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

deadwing posted:

Unless you like playing multiplayer, having one player on the Gamepad and one player on the main screen is a godsend, as well as being able to play with five players.

Split screen is available on the PC version.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Sire Oblivion posted:

Split screen is available on the PC version.

That's not what I said at all though.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Well, after getting a broken Wii U and farting around for a month, I'm getting it back from Nintendo tomorrow. (Or a new one. I dunno. They just gave me the tracking number, nothing else.)

Are there any multiplayer titles for this console so far? Online ones, not local. I want to kick some goon rear end, and I haven't been paying much attention to games since I couldn't even play my NSMBU :(

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

VarrosAnon posted:

Well, after getting a broken Wii U and farting around for a month, I'm getting it back from Nintendo tomorrow. (Or a new one. I dunno. They just gave me the tracking number, nothing else.)

Are there any multiplayer titles for this console so far? Online ones, not local. I want to kick some goon rear end, and I haven't been paying much attention to games since I couldn't even play my NSMBU :(

Sonic Racing, Tekken, Black Ops 2 all have online play. I'm probably forgetting something else.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Commissar Ken posted:

Sonic Racing, Tekken, Black Ops 2 all have online play. I'm probably forgetting something else.

Ah, dude, they ported Sonic R to the Wii U!?

No, but I've heard great things about this game. I will buy it and beat some rear end.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

deadwing posted:

That's not what I said at all though.

So what does "Unless you like multiplayer," imply?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Played the mutant rabbit fight in the MH demo. Nearly ran out of time. I didn't notice the framerate running super high as promised, but I also didn't notice it chugging. Maybe some of you got some bad data during the download/install? Is that even possible or did I completely make that up?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

VarrosAnon posted:

Ah, dude, they ported Sonic R to the Wii U!?

No, but I've heard great things about this game. I will buy it and beat some rear end.

Sonic & All Stars racing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_%26_All-Stars_Racing_Transformed

Edit: Wrong Link

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sire Oblivion posted:

Presumably he means playing with 2 players, and each player having their own screen so you don't have to share TV space.

Chaltab posted:

Not everyone has though? It's one thing to say you're sick of NSMB because you've played them all, it's another to assume that everyone else feels the same way. I've only played NSMBW at a cousin's house and never touched the 3DS game because even before launch I thought the coins gimmick looked dumb. NSMBU is what I've been wanting from the series for years. I still say they should have called it New Super Mario World

This is my mindset on Mario U, I played NSMBWii briefly and the original to death but didn't touch 2 so I'm ready now for another 2D Mario. Add in the Luigi DLC that might as well be an entire game to itself and if you're not burnt out on the NSMB series it's to be assumed you're going to own it at some point. I fully accept some people will have gotten burnt out if they've played every Mario game released lately though because christ there've been a lot of them.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I tried to get into MH2 on the PSP and then Tri on the Wii and tried the demo for a Ultimate and am honestly bored to tears every time I play it. It's drab, redundant and unrewarding for me and I've RTFM each time, understand how the game works but don't really understand why it's so incredibly popular in Japan. Guess it's just no for me, unfortunately. Are they not gonna allow off tv support for the game?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Sire Oblivion posted:

Did you just tune out on the rest of the sentence? The point isn't that the PC version doesn't have splitscreen, it's that having five players instead of four and one of them having their own screen (so each having their own screen if you're just playing bro-op) instead of it all being crammed on the one TV/monitor makes the Wii U version the most desirable for local multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnatux
Nov 13, 2004

The surrealistic adventure became my world.
I just want to play Mario Universe or whatever and I want it to be even better than Galaxy 2.

• Locked thread