Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Have you seen the film? The artist had every reason to use that specific shot for the poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Mister Chief posted:

Have you seen the film? The artist had every reason to use that specific shot for the poster.

It's just an opinion. The bright orange and faux painting aesthetic is very unappealing to me.

e: wait, estatic is completely the wrong word. Someone help me out.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 22, 2013

Yeti Yeti Yeti
Mar 27, 2010
I like the Les Misérables mondo poster.

The "les" being in red is kinda stupid, but other than that, it looks good.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I was going to complain about how absurdly blunt that Master poster's visual metaphor was until I realised I didn't actually understand it.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
It's actually NOT that promotional still made into an "effect". The artist changed the expression. The fact that he has enough skill to do that shows that he's pretty good. There are plenty of working artists who couldn't manage a recognizable likeness even working from photographs. Look at that guy who puts lines all over everyone's faces and crams 50 people into one poster.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I think it's neat. Makes me remember the film more charitably that its run-time did - and I'm not the kind to complain about a long film.

Noxville posted:

I was going to complain about how absurdly blunt that Master poster's visual metaphor was until I realised I didn't actually understand it.

You're talking about Amy Adams' hand, yeah?

e: good god, so many missing words with phone posting.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 22, 2013

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeti Yeti Yeti posted:

I don't like the colour scheme. If they were going to have funny colours, why not incorporate the tricolours into the title? I know they've already got that motif in the poster itself, but the fact that Les and the tagline are red while Miserables is white bothers me.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Noxville posted:

This is exactly the experience I had with the movie itself, so as far as I'm concerned the poster is a masterpiece.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

You talking Amy Adams' hand, yeah?

Yeah. At first I thought 'well that's really obvious' but trying to put it into words, if the idea is that she's the one secretly running the show why is her hand clearly visible and in contact with Lancaster? It'd need to have her visible but her the fact that she's guiding him hidden. But I don't know how you'd draw that.

I'm not really keen because the metaphor is either a) too obvious (she's the power behind the throne, his 'right hand!') or b) doesn't really work. That and the fact that the existence of the film's actual main character is an irrelevance to the poster.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Maybe just having the vortex as a motif was enough.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Yeti Yeti Yeti posted:

Meh, this doesn't capture the theme of the film at all. Could have been made by an Enjolras fangirl for all it mattered.

Villain of the Week
Dec 25, 2008

Yeti Yeti Yeti posted:

They should've used the French flag instead of the Belgian one though.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I can't help but see that hairstyle as a pile of poop sitting on top of his head.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Quite a display of the Asian military pimp aesthetic there.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Perestroika posted:

I can't help but see that hairstyle as a pile of poop sitting on top of his head.

That'd be why he's burning incense.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Why is his finger on his forehead a penis?

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist

GonSmithe posted:

Because he picks his nose with his dick.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

The MSJ posted:

Quite a display of the Asian military pimp aesthetic there.

Perestroika posted:

ynohtna posted:

That'd be why he's burning incense.

GonSmithe posted:

pookerbug posted:

Because he picks his nose with his dick.

This is the worst limerick I've ever read

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Forktoss posted:

This is the worst limerick I've ever read

:golfclap: Amazing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Until I noticed the "Ben Kingsley" and "Iron Man 3" I was hoping this was a poster for some kind of surprise follow-up to this year's conclusion of Breaking Bad. Like Walter gets away and turns into a Marvel Comics villain.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Aaaaaah, it's his EAR :downs:

Bagelsport
Nov 14, 2005

I picked up a doctor - he's good with a knife
Says anaesthetic's a waste
of his time
That doesn't actually seem like a great place to install an incense burner. Maybe this guy would like to sit up straight from time to time without setting fire to his custom embroidered fatigues.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Holy poo poo, is he supposed to be The Mandarin? I see a bunch of rings... :fap:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Dick Trauma posted:

Holy poo poo, is he supposed to be The Mandarin? I see a bunch of rings... :fap:
Yeah, he's the big villain in Iron Man 3.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Don't know, but I keep seeing the Dude from Big Lebowski.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I wish they kept the full picture instead of cropping bits and pieces out. The little details at the edge tell us so much about what a badass this guy is. The bullet-riddled UN helmets displayed like trophies, the dog tags that he's presumably collected from various soldiers he's killed and the combat fatigues tell us immediately that he's a warlord who wields considerable power. His sunglasses, posture and the chair that he's sitting on (which feels more like a throne, rather than a plain old chair) reminds me of dictatorial authority figures as well.
Meanwhile his robe, incense and dragon decorations tell us he's steeped in Oriental mysticism (Kingsley half-Indian, so technically, he's from the right continent. Dunno if that counts as yellow-face or whitewashing though.) When looking at this image in context with the first poster where we see that Tony Stark's just been absolutely hosed up, the fact that he's using Iron Man's helmet as a footrest tells us that A) it was probably this guy and B) holy poo poo, this guy's going to be an absolute monster.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 22, 2013

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
So... Don Logan with superpowers!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

So this is on sale...

This isn't really cool or special unless you've seen Argo and know this is the fake movie poster for the fake movie. Pretty cool historically anyway.

quote:

Most now know of the operation to help six American diplomats escape Iran in 1980 from the blockbuster film by the same name. The cover story used during the rescue was that the diplomats were members of a film crew scouting the location of a new sci-fi movie. To carry out the mission, the CIA set up a functioning office in Hollywood, obtained a script, and even created a pre-production movie poster. VF Studio, the creative wing of Vandal Factory, has meticulously reproduced this CIA-designed poster, which will be available for two days only.

As a bonus, VF Studio has also created a red variant edition numbered to 25, which will be given away free to lucky fans with their purchase.

http://vandalfactory.com/product/argo-by-vf-studio/

Also keeping my fingers crossed for this Sunday, I've spent the last two months working on this kind of poo poo...

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

kiimo posted:

Also keeping my fingers crossed for this Sunday, I've spent the last two months working on this kind of poo poo...

Clue 2: Argo

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
This is a good 'For Your Consideration' poster too:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Robert Denby posted:

That's a great still.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Robert Denby posted:

Hah, that's actually delightfully misleading - the austere, Louis XIV-esque hall makes it seem like a costume drama/prestige picture, and the highlighting of the words 'epic' and 'magesterial' (along with hiding the DKR logo down in the corner) does its hardest to make you forget it's a superhero movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

I wish they kept the full picture instead of cropping bits and pieces out. The little details at the edge tell us so much about what a badass this guy is. The bullet-riddled UN helmets displayed like trophies, the dog tags that he's presumably collected from various soldiers he's killed and the combat fatigues tell us immediately that he's a warlord who wields considerable power. His sunglasses, posture and the chair that he's sitting on (which feels more like a throne, rather than a plain old chair) reminds me of dictatorial authority figures as well.
Meanwhile his robe, incense and dragon decorations tell us he's steeped in Oriental mysticism (Kingsley half-Indian, so technically, he's from the right continent. Dunno if that counts as yellow-face or whitewashing though.) When looking at this image in context with the first poster where we see that Tony Stark's just been absolutely hosed up, the fact that he's using Iron Man's helmet as a footrest tells us that A) it was probably this guy and B) holy poo poo, this guy's going to be an absolute monster.

He's foot is also propped on a broken Iron Man helmet, and that sunglasses might be Stark's.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah if you don't live in LA or regularly read Variety or Hollywood Reporter you're kinda missing out on the FYC war that goes on every year. I've never worked on a best picture contender before (Dolphin Tale was robbed I tell you) but it is a lot of work. You have to start before everything is announced. So you've got "Now nominated for 5/6/7/8/9 Oscars/Golden Globes/SAG/BAFTA/Writer's Guild/Producer's Guild/Director's Guild including Best Picture/Best Director" (whoops on best director).

You have to have them ready to roll out. It's kind of a nightmare. It also costs poo poo tons of money. But there has been some fantastic art this month from a lot of films.

Except Lincoln. They've kinda sucked.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Robert Denby posted:

This makes Bane look like he's texting in the middle of the "proceedings" or whatever it is.

e: vvv don't remember, I've thankfully been able to forget most of that movie.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 22, 2013

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I can't really remember but was Bane actually in that scene?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Mister Chief posted:

I can't really remember but was Bane actually in that scene?
Very briefly. Think they show him once.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, T. Perry's posters are usually spectacular, even if many of them are just homages to iconic movie posters.

Really liked this one.

Here's some more good Tyler Perry posters:

Barometer posted:

Did you get a ton of "ju know why they call me peeples?" after the Shaft remake? That was the first thing I thought of.
No. Actually I'd forgotten that line. Speaking of blacksploitation, I have had a few people spell my name 'Peebles'.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, look at that poo poo. How in the hell is that the poster to a movie called "Madea Goes To Jail"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah isn't that poster like, diametrically opposed to the tone of the movie? :psyduck: