Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Yep, a total robbery like old school Libertadores

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

hecko posted:

Yep, a total robbery like old school Libertadores

Some of us want to defend the old values of the Copa Libertadores, like bribing refs and attacking team buses :colbert:

That ref is the same who robbed Ecuador against Uruguay for the WCQ, he's deep in our pocket, or really hates Ecuador.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Tradition dictates that paraguayan referees were heavily localist but in these modern times you'll never know.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3V3AWhuv1M

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

^^That was a golazo.

Amarilla is from Paraguay right? People were talking after the Argentina - Uruguay game for Copa America about his friendship with Forlán and how that affected our kicking the poo poo out of your team. Apparently he and Forlan are close buddies. Also, the Uruguayan FA (allegedly) bought Sergio Pessotta with the ulgiest prostitute ever a couple of years ago.

Having cheap dollar means we get more bands coming here to perform and it's cheaper to buy refs.

Nacional are so terrible that even with a bought out ref they only got a draw.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Sao Paulo forgot that there is no offsides off of throw ins. And Ronaldinho, even this old and slow version, is still amazing.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Couldn't watch tonight, hecko what happened to Boca?

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Played like poo poo but without the luck of the match against Quilmes and lost 1-2

I hope this was the last professional football match of Cellay and Caruzzo. specially Cellay, what a poo poo player!

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Peñarol - Emelec about to start, the atmosphere is amazing. :stare:

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

This should be good, thanks for the reminder.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Emelec said their players could have been poisoned at their hotel because 10 of them were sick. Oh, Libertadores, never change :allears:

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Well, that game was poo poo. Fuckin Peñarol.

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(
Olivera was poo poo the whole game but atleast he scored.

edit: added bonus pic from the game

HolaMundo fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 20, 2013

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Insua has been huge for Velez lately, despite the second goal being way offside

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Group 8 makes no sense, everyone has three points, everyone loses home games, Fluminense ate a 0-3 today, Jardel is our lucky amulet. Also, Barcos. :allears:

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Insua is having a great season at Velez, and Pratto is a beast! too bad Boca let it go.
Gremio actually lost against Huachipato at home? I saw a bit of their game against Caracas today and they were awful.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

hecko posted:

Insua is having a great season at Velez, and Pratto is a beast! too bad Boca let it go.
Gremio actually lost against Huachipato at home? I saw a bit of their game against Caracas today and they were awful.

We did. 2-0. It was dumb and I was salty. Wasn't dumb luck either.

EDIT: 2-1, actually, but I was so pissed off I forgot about the penalty kick in our favor.

Dias fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 21, 2013

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Some talk in the Brazilian media about possible harsh punishment against Corinthians, as apparently their supporters did something that caused the death of a 14 year old kid in Bolivia.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

joepinetree posted:

Some talk in the Brazilian media about possible harsh punishment against Corinthians, as apparently their supporters did something that caused the death of a 14 year old kid in Bolivia.

So that's how they're keeping Pato functional.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

hecko posted:

It was a hell of an entertaining match. They lost big, but Aceval's goal was incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji8DcOsDVek

Corinthians were awful except for about 10 minutes all together, but not Fluminense bad. Emerson blew the easiest knock in ever. Beautiful cross to him on the right side, and he missed wide of the post.

joepinetree posted:

They shot him in the eye with a flare. Killed him instantly. 12 arrested. How the hell does that happen? :psyduck:

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Cerro - Garcilaso or Lara - Newells?

Help me choose!

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Is looking out the window not an option?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

hahaha I'm actually really busy so not even paying attention.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Get hosed ñuls! What a goal!

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Volkerball posted:

They shot him in the eye with a flare. Killed him instantly. 12 arrested. How the hell does that happen? :psyduck:

I heard that it was a firework. Still that's loving horrible.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
It was a 300m range nautical parachute distress flare similar to this one.

Video of the incident. I saw a better one in the news today, with a high-def closeup of the guy who shot the flare, but couldn't find it.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Apparently Corinthians fans are banned for the whole extent of the cup.
http://www.ole.com.ar/futbol-internacional/libertadores/Campeon-hinchas_0_870513142.html

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

hecko posted:

Apparently Corinthians fans are banned for the whole extent of the cup.
http://www.ole.com.ar/futbol-internacional/libertadores/Campeon-hinchas_0_870513142.html

Man, that's who I've been rooting for. I saw riot police hauling off a couple dudes during the match before the incident, and I've heard plenty about how fanatical Corinthians fans are, so if this keeps people safer at the games, so be it. But how can you expect to enforce it on people who were selling their cars to go to Japan for the Club World Cup? Also, I'm guessing there's going to be a riot over this.

Edit: I guess the kid was shot in celebration of the first goal, so the riot police I saw were probably over there because of that. Did they talk about it during the broadcast? I can't understand anything. :argh: Supposedly their home matches will be played "behind closed doors," and the home opponents aren't allowed to sell tickets to Corinthians fans. That second one sounds a lot easier said than done.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 23, 2013

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
I know a couple of dudes who are still paying for the trip to Tokyo in 2000 and at least 1 more who sold his car to afford the plane tickets. It's crazy.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Magrov posted:

It was a 300m range nautical parachute distress flare similar to this one.

Video of the incident. I saw a better one in the news today, with a high-def closeup of the guy who shot the flare, but couldn't find it.

Same thing happened in Peru back in 2000. A kid with down syndrome was hit in the face with one of those from across the stands. Died instantly. The thing was still on and going when it went through his face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAbSoi-IGts

I remember watching it live and, gently caress, it was horrid. One of the only times where they cancelled the game over something else than crowd violence.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Weaponized Cum posted:

Same thing happened in Peru back in 2000. A kid with down syndrome was hit in the face with one of those from across the stands. Died instantly. The thing was still on and going when it went through his face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAbSoi-IGts

I remember watching it live and, gently caress, it was horrid. One of the only times where they cancelled the game over something else than crowd violence.

Holy gently caress that's so :nms:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Corinthians appeal goes through Monday, and if it gets shot down, the club is considering withdrawing from the Libertadores in protest. The punishment does seem a little over the top. Especially considering just tightening security and preventing flares from being allowed in the matches would be the sensible thing to do.

Edit:

quote:

A 17-year-old Corinthians fan has confessed to setting off the flare that killed a 14-year-old Bolivian boy in a Copa Libertadores match against San José last week.

Kevin Douglas Beltran Espada, a high school student, was pronounced dead on arrival at hospital after the firework had penetrated his right eye and caused his brain to haemorrhage.

A Brazilian teenager, whose name was not disclosed, made an emotional confession to a local television channel late Sunday, with his mother by his side.

He told Globo TV: ''When I first pulled the cord to set it off nothing happened, I didn't know how to handle it. When I pulled it again it just went off. I wasn't aiming it, I didn't know it was going to take off like that.

"When I found out what happened I just thought, `My life is over, what am I going to do? I just killed a 14-year-old kid.’

"I feel like I'm the worst person in the world. I don't know what I'll do with my life, I deeply regret what happened."

As a minor, the Brazilian cannot be extradited to Bolivia to face charges for the crime and could just end up facing community service in Brazil.

Ricardo Cabral, the lawyer representing the teen, said: "He will turn himself in, with his mother by his side. A judge will likely give him a social-educational sentence in this first moment."

:smith:

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 26, 2013

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Flares already were not allowed in either Brazil or Bolivia.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Ronaldinho has a pair of assists, and Bernard has a hat trick for Mineiro against Arsenal. Destroying them. 2 wins in 2 games. Should be a safe bet to advance. Corinthians appeal failed, so I guess it remains to be seen if they were bluffing on withdrawing from the cup or not. The game tomorrow is supposed to be behind closed doors, and I'm not sure how that's going to work. Are they going to televise it?

madbeaner
Sep 11, 2003
i love you
How much substance is there to Corinthians withdrawing in protest? I'm a Club Tijuana supporter, we took out San Jose at home 4-0 and are stoked for our first Libertadores. A handful of friends went to Colombia against Millionarios, and one of my close friends was heading to Brazil for the Corinthians match and then the Kevin incident happened :( We had a lot of messages from Corinthians fans to expect them in Tijuana, I wonder if they'll still make the trip.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I find it extremely unlikely that they would withdraw from it. They invested a boatload of money this year and I am pretty sure that they'd lose at least the TV money, which is quite substantial, if they went through with it.

I think that the far more likely scenario, knowing CBF and conmebol, is that when the full disciplinary committee meets they will reduce the punishment to a specific number of games, not the entire tournament.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
i think the most likely punishment will be banning Corinthians to sell tickets for their away games and only for a couple of games.

Yesterday I was at Boca Jrs to pick up my socio card and I've missed the chance to see Atl. Mineiros training by a couple of minutes. :(

hello i am phone fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 27, 2013

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(
Some dude trying to break Ronaldinho's leg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4-K3JUuRTU

It wasn't even a yellow :iiam:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

HolaMundo posted:

Some dude trying to break Ronaldinho's leg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4-K3JUuRTU

It wasn't even a yellow :iiam:

Yeah, that was nuts. I love that it got posted on youtube though, because of that guy with the laser pointer. Later on they showed the replay from the front, and you can see him chasing Ronaldinho's face the whole time he was running up to the shot. Hyper-extended leg, laser pointer to the eye, and he still was inches from making it. I'd love to see Mineiro have a deep run. They've got the talent. Bernard is sickeningly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Even the Ecuatorian Barcelona can't help but lose, 1-2 against Boca in the Libertadores.