Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Hulk Krogan posted:

Honestly I think another Death Magnetic-style record with more focused, pared-down songs and better production would be pretty solid. Also solos that aren't utterly abysmal, but that's a long shot at this point.
Eagerly looking forward to the ill-conceived John Zorn/Steve Buscemi collaboration they'll release instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Metallica/Morbid Angel - Jizz Everywhere

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
Willie Nelson/High on Fire. Call it This Land is Stoned Land

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Why not Gilbert Gottfried?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Cheapsteaks posted:

Willie Nelson/High on Fire. Call it This Land is Stoned Land

I would unironically listen to that.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
cradle of filth/cher

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Someone mentioned Nekromantheon in this topic, right? Because holy poo poo. Even the doofy reverb they throw in the vocals is, somehow, completely perfect.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

John Magnum posted:

Someone mentioned Nekromantheon in this topic, right? Because holy poo poo. Even the doofy reverb they throw in the vocals is, somehow, completely perfect.

Yeah, I mentioned them just recently and got maybe one or two responses.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm
Anyone in the midwest who didnt get tickets to Chicago's bolt thrower show(sold out in 3 hours...70% of tickets sold in first 12 minutes) second show next day goes on sale at noon friday.

John Magnum posted:

They were pretty good live too.

Great Horny Toads! posted:

I dunno why, but death n' roll and black n' roll are just rad.
e: Why, yes, I am fishing for suggestions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpNCMTEu43E

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
I have to be missing something, because it seems odd that for a genre like death and roll or black and roll there are only a couple of examples of each.

Like old Entombed, Black Breath, Blood Duster, Midnight, and....

what else?

I feel like I'm missing something.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

rxcowboy posted:

I have to be missing something, because it seems odd that for a genre like death and roll or black and roll there are only a couple of examples of each.

what else?

I

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

????

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Its abbaths black n roll side project (posting from phone and video isn't available on mobile, hope it works)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7tMlG9Kg0k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
He want you to check out his band.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Wooper posted:

He want you to check out his band.

Disclaimer: not my band

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

rxcowboy posted:

what else?

If we're just talking about Entombed/HM-2core there's also Rotten Sound, Nails, Harms Way, All Pigs Must Die, Trap Them, etc.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Forgot how good the ol' EM's reviews are:

quote:

I'm sure that you, the reader, has at some point in their life had one of those sleepless nights where your mind keeps throwing questions at you and all you can do is lie there straining to figure out how that stain got on the ceiling and more importantly, what the stain is. On these types of nights I always come back to the same question "Is it possible to sound like Meshuggah but even worse?", and for weeks I can happily say that there was no answer to this diabolical question. Then I came across this album and wept because this is the irrefutable proof that there is no god; no being would let such an album come into creation unless they possessed a truly perverted and reprehensible sense of humour.

Textures take your basic Meshuggah formula but then decide to glue on some melodic sections, clean vocals and other 'progressive' features. The word cluster-gently caress comes to mind in the sense that they've managed to mash together two contrasting styles and make them interact about as smoothly as throwing sodium dust into a vat of water. The groove riffs sound like Meshuggah but less crunchy and mechanical, and the melodic sections sound not unlike they were ripped straight from a modern rock album. I can't begin to express just how utterly dumb and idiotic this album sounds; "Awake" showcases a terrible clean section for the first minute before it dives into the groove riffing with a metalcore-esque yell and chugs away into the distance in a retard frenzy that doesn't let up. Then of course there's the keyboards which only appear during the choruses to pump out an ambient backdrop that was no doubt stolen from some half rate post-rock album.

There's very little I can say about this album other than its like Meshuggah but even worse. Some of the riffs sound as though they were taken directly from their latter-era, especially 'Nothing' whilst the other riffs are either simple groove riffs in the same vein as Lamb of God or simple modern rocks riffs during the clean sections. The vocalist isn't quite as monotonous as Meshuggah’s and sounds akin to other metalcore singers who yell rather than scream/squeal. He's pretty generic overall but his clean vocals are quite decent if not whiny. However the rest of the band is forgettable because the music is so dull and uninspired; this album does nothing to be inventive and seems to thrive off sounding like everything else as a means to get praise and recognition.

This album is awful, abhorrent and some other mean words I can't think of right now. If you're a huge fan of Meshuggah, and I mean so huge that you thought the new edition of 'Nothing' wasn't a mindless cash grab and didn't consider it to be completely unnecessary,
then I whole heartedly recommend this album to you. For the rest of us who didn't spend their childhoods drinking harsh industrial solvents your time and money could be spent better on pretty much anything, up to and including the dangling of genitals over crocodile enclosures.
note: i am sure many(most[all]) of you will agree with the review but it's still written by my favorite kind of metalhead

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

John Magnum posted:

On Divinity of Death they managed to nail the cheap, lovely rototom sound from Sepultura's Schizophrenia. Now that's dedication to your craft.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Its abbaths black n roll side project (posting from phone and video isn't available on mobile, hope it works)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7tMlG9Kg0k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

If you're gonna listen to I you might as well listen to Demonaz's "March of the Norse" while you're at it.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Defiant Sally posted:

If you're gonna listen to I you might as well listen to Demonaz's "March of the Norse" while you're at it.

Except that Between Two Worlds was good

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Morbid Florist posted:

Except that Between Two Worlds was good

True. That album is catchy as hell.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

yeah, it's basic Motörhead worship but still rocks

anyone worshipping Motöhead gets a pass from me

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Vintersorg posted:

anyone worshipping Motöhead gets a pass from me

Hell yeah: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3GGAL9JN20

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Hulk Krogan posted:

Honestly I think another Death Magnetic-style record with more focused, pared-down songs and better production would be pretty solid. Also solos that aren't utterly abysmal, but that's a long shot at this point.

They just need to break Hammet's wah pedal and they're already halfway to a good album.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Yeah, Piss Stomper had me snapping my fingers and bobbing my head.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
My mind is blown that there is literally nowhere to buy a digital download of Beyond Creations "The Aura". :psyduck:

Amazon doesn't have it, iTunes doesn't have it, CDBaby doesn't have it, hell, they don't even have an official site to buy it from (although I DID find a merch store that sold a physical copy that I wasn't interested in buying over the internet).

Double Deuce
Nov 26, 2011
Anybody like Dalriada? Their album Napisten Hava (late 2012) kicks rear end. It's not the faddish, gimmicky kind of folk-metal. It's good power metal organically mixed with Hungarian folk music & themes. Basically it's like if Arkona was based on Hungarian power metal instead of Russian black metal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_FJEoXwkNE
(Despite what the video says, I don't think they're actually Eurovision candidates.)

A couple favorites from the previous album Ígéret (2011):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo3hDzPDYIU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=147qI3UeyXI

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

muike posted:

Forgot how good the ol' EM's reviews are:

note: i am sure many(most[all]) of you will agree with the review but it's still written by my favorite kind of metalhead

Messhuggah loving sucks though. For real.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Weaponized Cum posted:

Yeah pretty much. I won't disagree with that

This pretty much owns though

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Chapel post reminded me to check if Sepulchre has new stuff up. Apparently not. :(

Great Horny Toads! fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 22, 2013

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Chapel post reminded me to check if Sepulchre has new stuff up. Apparently not. :(

Yeah I keep checking their facebook page for updates. They just can't seem to make it to the states.

If I remember right, Mr. Bling knows more about what they've been up to. I want to say the signer just finished a different project? I'm stabbing at the dark here though.

e: I don't mean to words in his mouth, only that he's consistently had more info on those guys.

Not Very Metal fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 22, 2013

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I only listened to Messhugga's concept/experimental album and I wasn't impressed. Never bothered to listen to anything else though.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Not Very Metal posted:

Yeah I keep checking their facebook page for updates. They just can't seem to make it to the states.

If I remember right, Mr. Bling knows more about what they've been up to. I want to say the signer just finished a different project? I'm stabbing at the dark here though.

e: I don't mean to words in his mouth, only that he's consistently had more info on those guys.

Sepulchre is basically Megiddo (or at least the old Megiddo lineup), and currently Megiddo are deep in the midst of rehearsing and planning for playing the Wings of Death fest in Montreal (killer lineup btw, anyone who can go should). They're going to play the entirety of the Devil and the Whore there, as well as some "new" tracks. Since most of us having been waiting for a new Megiddo album for longer than Sepulchre have existed, I'm kind of hoping this means they're recording new stuff too (please).

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Wyzt posted:

Anyone in the midwest who didnt get tickets to Chicago's bolt thrower show(sold out in 3 hours...70% of tickets sold in first 12 minutes) second show next day goes on sale at noon friday.

Just bought my ticket! Really glad I read this thread today, I was really bummed I missed out on buying tickets to the first Chicago date.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

That's what I was thinking of, gonna have to track some of their stuff down.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Meshuggah are a technical nu-metal band masquerading as a metal band.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Weaponized Cum posted:

They are very much either/or, I have yet to meet a metalhead who is on the fence about them. I thought they were poo poo for the longest time but after years of being subjected to them by friends who love them I've switched sides. Stockholm Syndrome? Hard to tell.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Zodijackylite posted:

Meshuggah are a technical nu-metal band masquerading as a metal band.

As a high school dropout, i never graduated from nu-metal. Gonna lay down some System of a Down tracks.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

muike posted:

As a high school dropout, i never graduated from nu-metal. Gonna lay down some System of a Down tracks.

A dropout who makes his own rules? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I prefer the term "routine."