Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Red_Mage posted:

Its funny, because if I could add one feature to UT99/Quake it would be Halo's "DIY" game modes. You could make just about anything with those, although not freezetag. That and Gungame/Arms race mode.

Halo does have Grifball though, and I'd much rather have Grifball than Gungame. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

gooby on rails posted:

This was the most effective way to play Unreal since the AI at the time was unable to dodge them (and it would dodge the normal rockets almost every time).

I love just how many features got crammed into the Eightball. Fire either rockets or grenades, any number between one and six, and with optional guidance.

You can also make rockets shoot in a circular pattern instead of a spread one by holding down the alt fire key while you hold down the primary fire key. It's pretty handy for large targets, like Titans.

I found that the Razorjack is more effective than the Eightball grenades in most cases. Two to three headshots can kill any non-boss in the game and they'll never try to dodge the razorblades. Of course, that gets boring, so I mix things up by using the Goop Gun alt fire, ASMD combos and Eightball grenades.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Rolled my first Jackpot in Reelism and it killed me, I burst out laughing and kept playing. I'm surprised how much time I've spent playing this considering how short an individual play session is!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

gooby on rails posted:

This was the most effective way to play Unreal since the AI at the time was unable to dodge them (and it would dodge the normal rockets almost every time).

I love just how many features got crammed into the Eightball. Fire either rockets or grenades, any number between one and six, and with optional guidance.

The Eightball Launcher is by far the best rocket launcher that's ever been in a game and I was so goddamn disappointed with what it changed to for UT2k3.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

The Eightball Launcher is by far the best rocket launcher that's ever been in a game and I was so goddamn disappointed with what it changed to for UT2k3.

I still love how the Unreal minigun looks. You can see a lot of chainguns on other videogames but two pairs of three barrels rolling like two gear wheels is the coolest design ever. I still remember my first experience with it:

-Lets try this thing: woah, this is amazing :neckbeard:
-Oh, now the secondary fire: :stare:

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Guillermus posted:

I still love how the Unreal minigun looks. You can see a lot of chainguns on other videogames but two pairs of three barrels rolling like two gear wheels is the coolest design ever. I still remember my first experience with it:

-Lets try this thing: woah, this is amazing :neckbeard:
-Oh, now the secondary fire: :stare:
I played UT before Unreal, so the firing modes of the minigun were familiar territory to me. But you're right, the Unreal minigun looks infinitely more awesome than UT's 'cucumber with a LED panel' design.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
What the hell are Oopsies in Reelism? I've been killed by them a few times, and I have no idea what triggered them to appear.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Fag Boy Jim posted:

What the hell are Oopsies in Reelism? I've been killed by them a few times, and I have no idea what triggered them to appear.

Shooting an enemy with the Electron Discomboafnioehiolsiolrknmh. There's a small chance that they'll turn into a glitch instead of just dying, and a chance that that glitch will be an Oopsie.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Unreal 1 has awesome weapons. I like how most of them appear to be improvised weapons, like how the Eightball looks like pipes from a machine used in heavy industry glued together, the Goop Gun being some sort of vacuum, the Flak Cannon looking like it was made out of random scrap metal, and the Minigun being some sort of abomination made from engine parts, some tubes and a vague idea of what a real minigun looks like. Even the "normal" guns, like the Razorjack and Automag, look nice.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 20, 2013

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

So there's that super weapon that makes one gigantic explosion (can only be used once). It... uh, produces some interesting results when the Gunfinity reel is active :stare:

I was just messing around in the game for some fun (had cheats active). You might not be able to see it do that without all weapons and god mode, but you really, really should.

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

So there's that super weapon that makes one gigantic explosion (can only be used once). It... uh, produces some interesting results when the Gunfinity reel is active :stare:

That's actually the Instant Discharge Cannon I mentioned very briefly a few pages back. Its entire gimmick is blowing away all your bullets in one shot. Predictably, trying to fire infinite bullets is a bad idea for a number of reasons. As for damage, I haven't seen if a shot of one bullet is weaker than a shot of 200, but a 200 bullet shot is enough to almost one shot The Cybredemon.

Like the pickup message says: You must be blessed.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

CoarsestGrate posted:

Like the pickup message says: You must be blessed.

Which is, of course, a reference to its origin - The Blessed Engine, aka The Sky May Be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D25Xn0C_OQ

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CoarsestGrate posted:

That's actually the Instant Discharge Cannon I mentioned very briefly a few pages back. Its entire gimmick is blowing away all your bullets in one shot. Predictably, trying to fire infinite bullets is a bad idea for a number of reasons.

Hah. Good to know!

Dominic White posted:

Which is, of course, a reference to its origin - The Blessed Engine, aka The Sky May Be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D25Xn0C_OQ

Is there a WAD of this anywhere? I remember trying it out before but it was just an EXE or something.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Hah. Good to know!

Is there a WAD of this anywhere? I remember trying it out before but it was just an EXE or something.

I think this is it. http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=8079

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Yeah, found it on Doomworld. I'll have to try it myself, seeing as how it's one of the Top 10 notorious WADs.

e: f,b

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
If you just use the WAD you won't get the weapons modifications and such. There's somewhere out there that refactored the EXE modifcations into a DEH that can be used with most source ports though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Does that include all of the Blessed Engine changes, or just the level? Can you even do the Blessed Engine using a WAD rather than deHacked? E: poster above me answered it!

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song

The Kins posted:

As far as rare insight goes, there's a goon called Hippieman who's a massive fanboy and worked on the Xbox Live Arcade port. I'm not sure if he hangs around this thread anymore, though. I hear if you say "W’rkncacnter" seven times into a mirror he emerges from the dying sun.

And as for Pathways, nope. The best you can do is use a Macintosh emulator loaded up with System 7 or compatible.

Oh hey months later, and I'll totally show up!

So shameless admission, I only just beat Infinity. I just never got around to beating it. It can be a pain in the rear end, go for punching whenever possible to conserve ammo, and try to find all the charge stations, they are tucked away.

Lastly learn how to quickly sidestep the bouncing grenades of the cyborgs in tight spaces and force them to explode on walls, or another enemy. Aleph One now ships with more standard FPS controls (you are welcome), but adjust the look speeds to match what kind of gamer you are. I'm old so I don't turn as fast in games.

As far as Pathways, there's now way right now to play it on a modern computer.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

hippieman posted:

I got it running in Basilisk. Its emulation, but it worked.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

hippieman posted:

I played it back in 2004 or so using ARDI Executor with no problems. :confused:

These days you'll probably get better results using SheepShaver (or, if you don't care about having texture mapped floors and/or don't have enough power to emulate a PPC, Basilisk II) to emulate the mac hardware and then installing MacOS on it - I believe Apple has versions up to OS 7 on their website for free download these days.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Duke 3D, Shadow Warrior, Blake Stone and ROTT are 60% off at GOG this weekend, should you not have them (AND WHY NOT?!?!?)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I have them already. Well, not the Blakes Stones. Are they really that good? They're Wolfenstein 3D except without the coat of nostalgia polish that Wolfenstein 3D does have. (And even then, I can't bear to play Wolf3D in vanilla. I'd rather use ECWolf or that ZDoom TC, so as to get better controls.)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

I have them already. Well, not the Blakes Stones. Are they really that good? They're Wolfenstein 3D except without the coat of nostalgia polish that Wolfenstein 3D does have. (And even then, I can't bear to play Wolf3D in vanilla. I'd rather use ECWolf or that ZDoom TC, so as to get better controls.)
Blake 1 is a reasonably fun Wolf3D variant. I still like it, but I'm honestly not sure how much that's nostalgia for the shareware version. I like the mechanic of sort of having to be cautious around scientists until you can determine if they're friendly or not.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

The Kins posted:

Duke 3D, Shadow Warrior, Blake Stone and ROTT are 60% off at GOG this weekend, should you not have them (AND WHY NOT?!?!?)

Yes, I almost grabbed some of them a few days ago but decided to wait a few days! :woop:

Also, how RoTT has aged?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

VisAbsoluta posted:

Yes, I almost grabbed some of them a few days ago but decided to wait a few days! :woop:

Also, how RoTT has aged?

Pretty well in some respects - the art design and weapons are fun, but bear in mind that it runs on an updated Wolf 3D engine so avoid if you're not a big fan of perpendicular angles. Also the last episode of the game is complete garbage and should be avoided like the plague.

I just took advantage of this sale to try out Blake Stone: Planet Strike for the first time and it's actually surprisingly good fun considering the tech it's running on! Wonder if that series will get a modern update one day as it seems everything 90's related is coming back some way or other...

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Blake Stone is like a better version of Wolf3D, in my opinion. More guns, much more diverse set of enemies, some interesting mechanics that help break up the tedium of Wolf-style maps, vending machines.

Also, your arch-nemesis is Space Dick Cheney:

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 22, 2013

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
How has Shadow Warrior aged? I'm thinking of picking it up.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GoldenNugget posted:

How has Shadow Warrior aged? I'm thinking of picking it up.

Badly. It's got some horribly racist stereotyping going on and levels become increasingly lovely once you get past the shareware levels.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

Badly. It's got some horribly racist stereotyping going on and levels become increasingly lovely once you get past the shareware levels.

It's still not a bad buy for $2.39 if you like Duke 3D.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
What Build game isn't built around grotesque caricatures? Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Shadow Warrior, Redneck Rampage...

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

What Build game isn't built around grotesque caricatures? Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Shadow Warrior, Redneck Rampage...

I was about to suggest William Shatner's Tekwar, before realising that this is actually a fairly accurate description of Mr. Shatner's post-Trek career.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Extreme Paintbrawl?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cat Mattress posted:

Agreed. Personally, I think Shadow Warrior is pretty fun, especially if you're looking for more Duke3D-style gameplay.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Extreme Paintbrawl?

Extreme Paintbrawl is a grotesque caricature of everything that is wrong in the world. It is the worst of all things. It is hatred and loathing in digital format.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Extreme Paintbrawl is a grotesque caricature of everything that is wrong in the world. It is the worst of all things. It is hatred and loathing in digital format.

One of my friends had this growing up. We played it once or twice just to see how bad it was, and oh man it was bad.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Has a paintball game ever been good?

e: I mean, besides using that cheat on Goldeneye.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

VisAbsoluta posted:

Lemmings Paintball :colbert:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Kins, what's the flag I need so that Reelism doesn't keep throwing reels after us after we defeat a boss? Last week after every win we'd be returned to the lobby but I don't remember what triggers that behavior.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

VisAbsoluta posted:

e: I mean, besides using that cheat on Goldeneye.

digital paintball mod for Half Life 1

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

horse mans posted:

Kins, what's the flag I need so that Reelism doesn't keep throwing reels after us after we defeat a boss? Last week after every win we'd be returned to the lobby but I don't remember what triggers that behavior.
"-skill 0" or "+skill 0" should that care of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Holy poo poo, I actually beat a game of Reelism!

That's, erm, all I have to say. Can't quite believe it.