Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Are you still sharing a building with Avalanche? Can you sneak in and get some pics of Just Cause 3 for us? :ninja:

Nope, that was our old office.

Fintilgin posted:

What do you keep in your pirate chest?

Cancelled games that we fear.

DrProsek posted:

(although that view does look like it'd be nice, in that picture I can't see any other tall buildings so you must be able to see a lot of Stockholm from that view)

Oh yeah, it's super:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Darkrenown posted:

Cancelled games that we fear.
Confirmed: PDS keeps Ubik locked in a chest like the Gimp from Pulp Fiction.

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

Oh yeah, it's super:

amazing, what camera did you use? looks like a game :p I want that as city view in EU4 ;)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

What games have you been playing? :raise:

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

What games have you been playing? :raise:

too much sim city and cities in motion I fear ;)

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

SA_Avenger posted:

amazing, what camera did you use? looks like a game :p I want that as city view in EU4 ;)

It's funny when high praise for a photograph is "It looks like a game."

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SA_Avenger posted:

too much sim city and cities in motion I fear ;)

I wish SimCity had wall to wall buildings like that. Or looked even a fraction as good.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Darkrenown posted:

Oh yeah, it's super:

For a few seconds I didn't realise those were trees and I was wondering why a good chunk of Stockholm was covered by such a thick dust cloud. :psyduck:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Adequate posted:

Just Cause 3 will integrate with EvW as a solution to the small wars/proxy wars/insurgencies issue. You just control a suitably named protagonist in Vietnam/Afghanistan/Angola/Belfast. Resources available to you hinge on what you've done in the strategic map beforehand. There I have solved all your EvW and indeed all your rebel problems in all games Paradox you can thank me by making a sci-fi strategy game.

They won't need the Hot War simulation either if they integrate sea battles with Naval Warfare Arctic Circle and the land battles with Wargame European Escalation :black101:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

YF-23 posted:

For a few seconds I didn't realise those were trees and I was wondering why a good chunk of Stockholm was covered by such a thick dust cloud. :psyduck:

A fire occurred near the heavy industry zones, unleashing a noxious cloud, but they didn't have any fire stations with coverage over the area. :(

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

DrSunshine posted:

A fire occurred near the heavy industry zones, unleashing a noxious cloud, but they didn't have any fire stations with coverage over the area. :(

I bet you REGRET CUTTING OUR FUNDING!!!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

SA_Avenger posted:

amazing, what camera did you use?

Someone in the office took it using their phone, don't know the model.

^^^If Tropico4 has taught me anything it's that Fire Stations are the most useless buildings.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I have a question; will you be participating in Wiz's Tropical 4 LP, Darkrenown?

mmtt
May 8, 2009
I want to play MotE MP with goons? What do I do ? Where do I go ?

e: mmtt on steam

mmtt fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 23, 2013

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

I have a question; will you be participating in Wiz's Tropical 4 LP, Darkrenown?

Had no idea he was doing one, will check it out!

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

Had no idea he was doing one, will check it out!

The first vote is in the Azerbaijan LP thread, fyi.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

mmtt posted:

I want to play MotE MP with goons? What do I do ? Where do I go ?

e: mmtt on steam

okay add me I'm Baloogan

edit : working today though :(

Baloogan fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 23, 2013

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So the HoI3 Collection is down to $15 on Amazon right now. Is it worth buying yet?

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Doctor Schnabel posted:

So the HoI3 Collection is down to $15 on Amazon right now. Is it worth buying yet?
Consensus seems to be that it is pretty good now. I never got into it though, don't like the all war aspect.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Thats without TFH though...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

pdxjohan posted:

Thats without TFH though...

How scary is it for you that your marketing guys clearly don't understand the business model that you work to?

e: after having made this mistake already with EU3.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Alchenar posted:

How scary is it for you that your marketing guys clearly don't understand the business model that you work to?

Fortunately, it really shouldn't be an issue any more, the CKII model is so much better. Buy the base game, and have the latest greatest patched up version with all the bug fixes and improvements. DLC just extra factions/cosmetic etc.

It's bizarre that they can't get EUIII "complete" pulled down from the stores and just sell chronicles or whatever. I don't know if it's a problem with Steam and distributors or what. Seems like it ought to be easy to go to them and say, 'hey, we don't want to sell that SKU anymore' or whatever. :confused:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

It's bizarre that they can't get EUIII "complete" pulled down from the stores and just sell chronicles or whatever. I don't know if it's a problem with Steam and distributors or what. Seems like it ought to be easy to go to them and say, 'hey, we don't want to sell that SKU anymore' or whatever. :confused:

Part of the problem might be that (at least on Steam) Chronicles is considered EU3 Complete with HTTT and DW considered as DLC. Because buying Chronicles is considered the same as buying Complete then HTTT and DW, they probably can't ask for Complete to be removed without breaking Chronicles.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Hey Zip I see you post in this thread a bunch so hopefully you'll see this but you PM'd me and your inbox is full so I can't reply. :downs:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Alchenar posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearts_of_iron_3#Expansions

quote:

On 22 November 2011, Paradox Interactive released the Hearts of Iron III Collection, which include both expansions for Hearts Of Iron III and all previously released sprite packs.

On 6 June 2012, Paradox Interactive announced the third expansion called Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour. It was released on 29 September 2012.

The problem with calling the EUIII bundle "complete" was we eventually released another expansion, making it incomplete. I don't really see how that applies to "collection" though, and as you can see it was released a long time before TFH was even announced. What's the problem?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Darkrenown posted:

The problem with calling the EUIII bundle "complete" was we eventually released another expansion, making it incomplete. I don't really see how that applies to "collection" though, and as you can see it was released a long time before TFH was even announced. What's the problem?

Well, when people buy a collection called 'complete,' there's usually an expectation that it's...

Y'know, complete.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
The Hearts of Iron III Collection still sounds like it is supposed to be all of HoI3 to me. Moving to the Steam CK2 model in the future will go a long way towards being less confusing.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

DerLeo posted:

Well, when people buy a collection called 'complete,' there's usually an expectation that it's...

Y'know, complete.

You do understand I just said that, right? Re-read my post.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Darkrenown posted:

You do understand I just said that, right? Re-read my post.

What he's saying is that you should take it down and recreate it so there is a real "complete" pack. I fell for that with EU3, you guys got a few bucks extra from me but I wasn't happy about that.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Top Hats Monthly posted:

What he's saying is that you should take it down and recreate it so there is a real "complete" pack. I fell for that with EU3, you guys got a few bucks extra from me but I wasn't happy about that.
Is it even possible to take down or rename Complete on steam and gamersgate and everywhere? I thought part of the problem was that going through all the hoops to fix that was just the biggest pain in the rear end possible.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Top Hats Monthly posted:

It sounded more like he was restating what I had just said after completely misunderstanding me, but if that is what he meant it's not something I can do. I work on these games, I don't run the company, I'm not involved in the marketing department, I agree and I have said the name was a poor choice.

Also, no offence, but this wasn't a trap you "fell for", you just didn't check what you were buying. EUIII complete was complete when it was published, so the name was perfectly accurate at the time. It's unfortunate that caused confusion when a later expansion was made, but it's apparently not possible to solve, so we need to be careful what we call bundles. I didn't think "Collection" implied everything, ever, which was why I asked when Alchenar brought it up.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

A suggestion for your marketing guys: maybe you could call any future 'game + all DLC released so far' packs something like "Crusader Kings II - 2013 Edition"?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'd do what Bioware did with Neverwinter Nights:

Game + Expansion 1 = Gold
Game + Expansion 2 = Platinum
Game + Expansion 3 = Diamond
etc.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.
Dear paradox devs, do you know why i'm not conquering germany with an army of angry normans in viccy 2 right now?

Because it is micro hell, it is really annoying to have to keep chasing down stupid stacks of 2000 austrians or they will siege my provinces and breaking my sieges and make the dumb computer think it can win after i crushed their army three times now. Also the computer deciding i need to siege st.petersburg to make russia accede to my demands on great power prussia is kinda dumb.

Also EU4 looks awesome and i hate you for starting your dev diaries so far away from the release date.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

Dear paradox devs, do you know why i'm not conquering germany with an army of angry normans in viccy 2 right now?

Because it is micro hell, it is really annoying to have to keep chasing down stupid stacks of 2000 austrians or they will siege my provinces and breaking my sieges and make the dumb computer think it can win after i crushed their army three times now. Also the computer deciding i need to siege st.petersburg to make russia accede to my demands on great power prussia is kinda dumb.

Also EU4 looks awesome and i hate you for starting your dev diaries so far away from the release date.

The Victoria games are actually my favorite Paradox sub-series, and Vicky II in particular is a blast, but it has a lot of issues like this one. In particular, if you're running a large country, mobilizing your reserves and getting them organized to fight is a massive loving pain in the rear end, even with rally points. Individually sorting out 600-some brigades into properly sized stacks and sending them off to proper locations takes a long-rear end time, and you can't just cram them all together into a mega-doom-stack without getting murdered by attrition. The game really needs some sort of Military Manager that lets you see all of your individual units, order certain units to certain rally points, and give units customizable merge and/or split orders (i.e. 'I want these ten units to move to this province and then merge together when they arrive').

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

From what I've seen MOTE is a massive advance in this direction.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Darkrenown posted:

I didn't think "Collection" implied everything, ever, which was why I asked when Alchenar brought it up.

You're right, and I agree that Collection technically isn't as misleading as Complete, but I think the missing step here is that there's no HOI 3 Super-Collection that supersedes the HOI 3 Collection (yet?). I don't know how much control you have over the creation of bundles, though.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Alikchi posted:

From what I've seen MOTE is a massive advance in this direction.
I think the opposite. It's the same system from Victoria, except now I have to dig through each flank and reorder them because there's at best a 50/50 shot that the game will distribute them evenly. I can't even properly distribute infantry, artillery, and cavalry in separate armies and merge them, the flanks are always reset. And not only that, I can't change order within the flanks to make it easier to see what type of units I have in them. Making it senseless to play anything but a Great Power is one thing, but the OOB micro is so much of a hassle that I've pretty much already stopped playing it. Especially with new expansions for Vicky 2 and CK2 around the corner.

It's a shame that the most accessible Paradox interface to date is the most backwards and cluttered.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Doctor Schnabel posted:

I can play War in the East. Which looks like this: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/372/details/Gary.Grigsby's.War.in.the.East:.The.German-Soviet.

I still can't play HoI3. Thats my 2 cents on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

You're right, and I agree that Collection technically isn't as misleading as Complete, but I think the missing step here is that there's no HOI 3 Super-Collection that supersedes the HOI 3 Collection (yet?). I don't know how much control you have over the creation of bundles, though.

I'd imagine if HOI3 gets another expansion it'd get another bundle. There wasn't a completely+HTTT bundle either.

• Locked thread