Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Magikoopa189 posted:

Well, at least we can be safe in assuming she's not coming back. She's not in Arena, and that's the canon sequel, so...

Actually, the P4G epilogue is set in Summer and they mention how stuff went crazy "Back in May" and Marie appears in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The new SMT IV trailer with English subtitles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnwopvNSCQU&feature=youtu.be

The game takes place in 1492 hummm.

It feels so weird to hear Iwata talk about SMT.

Edit:Over 400 demons is the most we ever got right?

That thing is a Centaur? :crossarms: not sure I like some of those Final Fantasy designs.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 22, 2013

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Wow, it looks like armor actually looks different in-game.

So we should be getting IV late summer/early fall right?

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 22, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dehry posted:

Actually, the P4G epilogue is set in Summer and they mention how stuff went crazy "Back in May" and Marie appears in the end.

Ugh that's just...disappointing in every way.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

DrManiac posted:

Wow, it looks like armor actually looks different in-game.

So we should be getting IV late summer/early fall right?

I'm thinking late fall or early spring of '14.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
New SMT IV clips! Lots of new material these days:

Walking/exploration video(looks great, lots of different environments)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdWLM-aAK9Q&feature=player_embedded

Characters talking:

Navarre
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j2lcReYMMgE

Walter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eKzRiDxKcLw

Jonathan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2zhsK-5qXME

Isabeau
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lMU9r0j0NTQ

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 23, 2013

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

I found a translation of the dialogue:

quote:

Navarre:
Navarre: What, you a new Samurai, too?
Walter: Yeah, but I have no idea who you are.
Navarre: Navarre, it's Navarre! This is the third time I'm telling you this!
Navarre: Walter, was it? You came last, and he was before you.
Navarre: There's lots of casualties among easy-going people.
(Don't know what that last line was supposed to be.)

Walter
Walter: Well, I didn't want to continue the family business in the countryside, so I'm happy I got to be a Samurai.
Walter: Fighting demons is pretty exciting, and I think I've got what it takes to be a Samurai.
Walter: Just like how we can't choose what families we're born into
Walter: Demons can't choose their masters.

Jonathan
Jonathan: I, too, am honoured to have become a Samurai.
Jonathan: Our mission is to defend this country and its people; it's a job worth doing.
Jonathan: I shall dedicate my life to fulfill my duty protecting the peace.
Jonathan: There's a bakery with very good bread near the castle, let's go there.
Walter: How many women have you seduced in such a manner?
Jonathan: That's... That's rude, Walter. I'm not... such a... with women...
Walter: Could you be...

Isabeau
Isabeau: You guys are too sloppy to be called gentlemen.
Walter: ...
Jonathan: ...
Isabeau: I'm reading something about a fictional country called France.
Isabeau: A brave and awe-inspiring tale of a lady who disguises herself as a male warrior.
Isabeau: But she fell in love with an amazing man...
Isabeau: And then, and then...
(I don't understand the first line of Walter's dialogue.)
Walter: (Something) It'll be good if the Mikado Lake's dry tomorrow.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Kurtofan posted:

The new SMT IV trailer with English subtitles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnwopvNSCQU&feature=youtu.be

The game takes place in 1492 hummm.

It feels so weird to hear Iwata talk about SMT.

Edit:Over 400 demons is the most we ever got right?

That thing is a Centaur? :crossarms: not sure I like some of those Final Fantasy designs.

It looks like they took the preemptive attacks on the dungeon map from P3/P4. (At least, the protag was slashing as them prior to battle entry.)

And since this is SMT, here are some interesting events which happened in 1492 which may have some impact since we know how much Japanese writers love to take psuedo-historical events and mythologies and infuse them randomly into their stories:
The Pentateuch is first printed.
It was the end of the Granada War, the Reconquista, and Al-Andalus.
The expulsion of the Jews from Catholic Spain and their migration to the Ottoman Empire.
Pope Innocent VIII died and was replaced by Pope Alexander VI.

I love how they had future tech and time travel back then.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Couldn't the time travel and all the future tech being there imply that they were originally from the future though?

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Strange Quark posted:

Couldn't the time travel and all the future tech being there imply that they were originally from the future though?

The Black Samurai brings futuristic and forbidden knowledge to East Mikado.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
It's a magical gauntlet... that can have programs installed. Someone at Atlus really liked SJ.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Strange Quark posted:

It would explain the 'France is fictional' thing. It existed so long ago that it's become myth.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

CottonWolf posted:

It would explain the 'France is fictional' thing. It existed so long ago that it's become myth.

It's clearly the long aftermath of Naoya's end in Devil Survivor 1.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mailer posted:

It's a magical gauntlet... that can have programs installed. Someone at Atlus really liked SJ.

SJ took that from Soul Hackers.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
SMT I had the Hero using a magical technological gauntlet too.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Hell, even Imagine had a tech-brace. I just assumed it was an SMT tradition.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Cleretic posted:

Hell, even Imagine had a tech-brace. I just assumed it was an SMT tradition.

Yeah, Nocturne was the aberration from the norm for the series.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mailer posted:

Someone who made SJ really liked SMT 1 and 2 as well!

Might wanna go take a gander at what the protagonists of SMT1 and 2 are wearing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I think I swiftly left the enjoyment boat for the Fiend fights in Nocturne.

Okay, I enjoyed Matador even if he kicked my rear end. Daisoujou and Hell Biker were fun challenges. Pale Rider (or White Rider, whichever the first Rider was) was... not actually fun, but I still appreciated it. But Red Rider is... more of the same, only now he's a bitch to fight.

It was neat at first, fighting all these different specters of death with different styles. But I'm not really interested in fighting the Four Horsemen one at a time, that's boring, especially since they all fight basically the same.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Mother Harlot was my choice favorite, but Hell Biker was pretty awesome.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I might manage better coming at him with Mediarama later.

In the meantime, wow is Isamu's Reason dumb. Doubly so because this isn't a loner we're talking about. This is the Obligatory Megaten Male Sidekick. He has friends, he has at least been, implicitly, co-operating with people before the events of the game! He might be kind of a dick, but someone infected him with The Stupids pretty bad here.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Authorman posted:

I do stick to those games, and so do most people who enjoy Atlus games. I'd just like Atlus to stop wasting resources producing bad games for people who are afraid of change and put out a new Digital Devil Saga in the Persona 4 battle engine or something equally as cool.

You know, your opinions in the Shin Megami Tensei thread would go over a lot better if you weren't actively insulting everyone who liked Shin Megami Tensei.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I haven't really had any problems with the Fiends.

Now that could be because I have had Daisojou since either hell biker or right after hell biker, but they have not been that bad.

e: And to punish my hubris the Trumpeter shows up and kicks my rear end.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 24, 2013

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Just wanted to thank everyone for replying to my p4g post a few pages back, managed to load up an old save and maxed my links like a boss. I haven't had this level of satisfaction from a game in a long time.

Well, time to 100% my compendium I guess.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Cross post from the 3DS thread but

:siren:Soul Hackers Preorder $29.99 + $2.99 shipping at Fry's Electronics:siren:
http://www.frys.com/product/7507046

Fightest
Nov 4, 2009

Great Sage
Equal of Heaven
Marie is there to help transition the player's perspective from the mortal to the divine influences towards the end of the game that otherwise can feel somewhat parachuted in, and definitely does much more to foreshadow the True Ending. Sure, she may be flawed in execution, but it's not as if she's useless as a character.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I finally got to the last dungeon in DDS 2 and I don't think I want to keep playing. The game took Sera and Serph, two characters I used heavily, and rolled then into one. Did I get any of the money I spent on their grid back? gently caress no. Then it gives me Heat who has the base grid, Argilla who has been dead for a long rear end time, and Cielo who I benched a lot. At least it gave me Gale back but knowing this game he's either weak to everything in the dungeon or is going to die soon. Please tell me things drop lots of money so I can afford mantras.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Len posted:

I finally got to the last dungeon in DDS 2 and I don't think I want to keep playing. The game took Sera and Serph, two characters I used heavily, and rolled then into one. Did I get any of the money I spent on their grid back? gently caress no. Then it gives me Heat who has the base grid, Argilla who has been dead for a long rear end time, and Cielo who I benched a lot. At least it gave me Gale back but knowing this game he's either weak to everything in the dungeon or is going to die soon. Please tell me things drop lots of money so I can afford mantras.

Money shouldn't be a huge concern for you, no. Still, I understand your frustration. I didn't get Heat back, but the Seraph poo poo was extremely annoying, even if Seraph is very, very strong. Plus, I was already pretty pissed off since the game had been loving with my party all game.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Easily my most hated thing about DDS2, if you don't use 2 very specific party members you'll have to do some heavy duty grinding at the end.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Okay, the base idea behind Nocturne's ally choices is something along the lines of 'everyone in the world has terrible ideas for how the world should be run and only they can't see that', right? Or does the game seriously expect me to consider Hikawa a man with great ideas that should be followed?

Right now I'm gravitating towards Chiaki not because I agree with her, but because her idea is only fairly awful as opposed to really loving awful.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Okay, the base idea behind Nocturne's ally choices is something along the lines of 'everyone in the world has terrible ideas for how the world should be run and only they can't see that', right? Or does the game seriously expect me to consider Hikawa a man with great ideas that should be followed?

Right now I'm gravitating towards Chiaki not because I agree with her, but because her idea is only fairly awful as opposed to really loving awful.

Hikawa was a top-tier badass with the only interesting Reason.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Demi-Fiend's right fist has the best reason.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

True Demon Ending is the best ending precisely because you don't have to put up with those other morons.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dorroile posted:

Hikawa was a top-tier badass with the only interesting Reason.

Except not because his entire reason is to literally destroy the entire concept of individuality and a very nihilistic one at that too and its sponsor is the Zoroastrian version of Satan. Even Hikawa realizes how awful his reason was after you beat him, his is the least awful of the three characters, but it's nearly the same thing as instrumentality.

Cleretic posted:

Just reset the world back to Neutral or go with Lucifer, those are the only two decent choices, I am not kidding on that last one.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Except not because his entire reason is to literally destroy the entire concept of individuality and a very nihilistic one at that too and its sponsor is the Zoroastrian version of Satan.

I would not read much into Ahriman being who he is mythologically. Keep in mind we're talking about a series where the Asura King is actually Dainichi Nyorai, who is REALLY ACTUALLY Ahura Mazda.

Who is Light-Chaos and supposedly opposes YHVH. Despite being a god of light and order, just like YHVH.

Sure, fine, let's go with that.

Now explain why:

A) This is also a series where the servants of Ahura Mazda happen to follow YHVH as members of the Seraph/Herald race, show up in the Justice arcanum in Persona grouped with the angels, et cetera et cetera.

and

B) Why Angra Mainyu tends to be depicted as a Tyrant, Dark-Chaos. Keep in mind that this is appropriate since Angra prefers, you know, chaos (in the sense of opposing order). Ahriman himself in SMT3 is a Tyrant.

The developers do have a rare moment of self-awareness when they both show up in the same game. At which point they double down on their stupid ideological viewpoints and decide that Angra suddenly gets an alignment change to Dark-Law.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 26, 2013

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

dis astranagant posted:

True Demon Ending is the best ending precisely because you don't have to put up with those other morons.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Just reset the world back to Neutral or go with Lucifer, those are the only two decent choices, I am not kidding on that last one.

Except Lucifer has lovely plans, too. He's just aiming his poo poo higher than everyone else.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Except not because his entire reason is to literally destroy the entire concept of individuality and a very nihilistic one at that too and its sponsor is the Zoroastrian version of Satan. Even Hikawa realizes how awful his reason was after you beat him, his is the least awful of the three characters, but it's nearly the same thing as instrumentality.

I dunno, i thought it seemed pretty neat!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Except Lucifer has lovely plans, too. He's just aiming his poo poo higher than everyone else.

Lucifer is just tired of all this Vortex World bullshit, I think that's reason enough to follow him.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Chiaki and Isamu's bullshit make a little more sense when you realize that both are the product of their deteriorating mental states (also because they are teenagers and teenagers are dumb as poo poo). I don't know what Hikawa's problem is though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

True Demon 4 Lyfe or Neutral 5 Eva. Punch all stupid teenagers in the face.