Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skam
Jan 6, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Is there something in the app's settings about updating? What happens if you tap the notification while the app is open underneath? And have you checked the Play Store for updates? I might require a manual one for some reason

It is fully up to date (although thinking back it might have appeared after updating), tapping again just relaunches the app.

It has an IAP to get rid of the adds (which i was considering doing since it is the best weather app i have found) but i can't imagine that is what its prompting me to do

Skam fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
So Falcon Pro has reached it's Twitter token limit. He's started a petition for more, but I'm not holding my breath.

If you get a new device or wipe/restore, does it have to request a new token? If I want to keep using this app, do I need to avoid doing that or getting a new phone? If so that's ridiculous.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Siroc posted:

So Falcon Pro has reached it's Twitter token limit. He's started a petition for more, but I'm not holding my breath.

If you get a new device or wipe/restore, does it have to request a new token? If I want to keep using this app, do I need to avoid doing that or getting a new phone? If so that's ridiculous.

If you flash a new ROM, you can lose your token. However, if you just uninstall/reinstall, you won't lose it. The token itself is on Twitter's servers, but for some reason, flashing ROMs does affect it.

The weird thing is that only 40,000 people actually paid for Falcon Pro and there are 100,000 Tokens per 3rd party app. This means 60,000 people either stole the app, installed and uninstalled it within the 15 minute window, or uninstalled it and never gave the token back. The beta version used a different set of tokens.

So, if anyone has used Falcon Pro in the past and don't use it anymore, please make sure to give the token back. Go to Twitter.com > Settings > Apps > Find "Falcon Pro" and revoke the access so someone else can sign up.

However, this problem will never go away. Twitter is doing this to force people to use either Twitter.com or the official Twitter app. However, Twitter acquired apps like TweetDeck are fine. Falcon Widget seems to be unaffected for now.

Honestly, I hope this comes back to bite Twitter in the rear end. Then again, Twitter's currently #3 most used social network with Google+ taking the #2 spot away so maybe it already is. :v:

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

If you flash a new ROM, you can lose your token. However, if you just uninstall/reinstall, you won't lose it. The token itself is on Twitter's servers, but for some reason, flashing ROMs does affect it.

I just want to be clear, since I'm not with regard to what is considered a ROM. I have a SGS2 with ICS. If I get a Nexus 4 with JB (might be KLP by then), would I run into trouble? If I flashed my SGS2 with cyanogen, I'd have problems then?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Siroc posted:

I just want to be clear, since I'm not with regard to what is considered a ROM. I have a SGS2 with ICS. If I get a Nexus 4 with JB (might be KLP by then), would I run into trouble? If I flashed my SGS2 with cyanogen, I'd have problems then?

Yes, you'd have problems if you were to flash Cyanogen Mod on your SGS2. CMod is considered a custom ROM.

Actually, I checked around again, it looks like it affects you if you uninstall and reinstall the app AND if you move to a custom ROM (since you would have to reinstall the app).

It looks like the only ways to get around this is to either never uninstall the app or use Carbon Backup or Titanium Backup to backup the app's settings so you don't lose the token.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Any Tasker threads/guru's around?

I am a total braindead at this app and ened some serious help.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I paid for Falcon Pro when it came out and got a new phone, now I can't use it anymore. Awesome!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Radbot posted:

I paid for Falcon Pro when it came out and got a new phone, now I can't use it anymore. Awesome!

Did you previously release the token? They ran out of tokens today.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Did you previously release the token? They ran out of tokens today.

No, I hadn't released it, but I changed phones. After trying it and seeing the error message, I released the token, and I'm still getting the error screen informing me the application has reached its user limit.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Radbot posted:

No, I hadn't released it, but I changed phones. After trying it and seeing the error message, I released the token, and I'm still getting the error screen informing me the application has reached its user limit.

Keep trying. It took ~30 tries last night then bam, it worked. I released the token (kraken?) from my Note 2, then tried. Didn't work (I suspect it's not instant because you can reverse the release on Twitter). Just kept trying and it finally worked. Once you have the token, you're good. Just takes some time to find one that opened up.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Skam posted:

What does one weather want me to do? Clicking the notification just launches the app and I can't get it to swipe away

Have you tried the official met office app?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Kerbtree posted:

Have you tried the official met office app?

There's an official met office app? To the Play store!

Edit:
Ok this is excellent, can't believe I wasn't aware of it.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 24, 2013

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

rolleyes posted:

There's an official met office app? To the Play store!

Edit:
Ok this is excellent, can't believe I wasn't aware of it.

The only real issue I've had with it is that the manual refresh button on the widget is bloody tiny.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

WastedJoker posted:

Any Tasker threads/guru's around?

I am a total braindead at this app and ened some serious help.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383343

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Can anyone who's used SwipePad and Glovebox give a comparison?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

hooah posted:

Can anyone who's used SwipePad and Glovebox give a comparison?

I haven't used glovebox, but I've used SwipePad for a couple years and I loving love it. I dropped the buck or whatever for the widget extension (and the extra space one later). I tried wave launcher, but didn't like it.

Edit: glovebox looks cool. I'll give it a try and see how they compare.

Double edit: I've already uninstalled glovebox. I don't like that you can only set it to the left or right side of the screen and I didn't see a way to adjust the size (at least, without paying for the unlock key). I forsee that getting in the way when doing things like changing tabs in Chrome. I've got swipepad set to the very top right corner of my screen, so it only opens when I want to open it. Much better.

XIII fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 24, 2013

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

cheers!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Started noticing Pulse is injecting ads randomly in feeds. Not sure when that started, but it rubs me the wrong way. Place a banner ad at the bottom of the UI? Sure, ok. Add in a fake story about how amazing this tech product is sandwiched between 2 legit articles? Feels incredibly dirty.

I liked it more then greader or flipbook, but now I need to switch to something else.

Any recommendations for a decent rss reader?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Flow Reader is in Beta but it is pretty sweet and good looking too.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

zer0spunk posted:

Started noticing Pulse is injecting ads randomly in feeds. Not sure when that started, but it rubs me the wrong way. Place a banner ad at the bottom of the UI? Sure, ok. Add in a fake story about how amazing this tech product is sandwiched between 2 legit articles? Feels incredibly dirty.

I liked it more then greader or flipbook, but now I need to switch to something else.

Flipboard?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

I like the UI sometimes, but it tends to lag on a TF700 and I really don't need a "magazine" layout of rss feeds. gReader is on the opposite side- could use a little design love.

I'll check out flow, and taptu and see how they feel.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
I'm using Press. I'm pretty happy with it and it also already has a DashClock plugin, which is pretty useful. The makers also seem to listen to feedback and react pretty fast - the biggest gripes I had (no swiping between articles of the same feed for example) were all fixed pretty quickly.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

zer0spunk posted:

GoodNews.

I can't stand the UI on these apps like Pulse and Flipboard. I just want a list of my RSS feeds, goshdarnit!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

zer0spunk posted:

What I've done, and have never looked back, is setup all my RSS feeds in Google Reader. I use ifttt.com to forward all my GR items to Pocket. It comes with the bonus of being able to quickly throw into my Pocket app a link a friend gives me during the day for reading. All I have is a beautiful list of all the news I'd want to read without any ads or clutter.

I'll be very disappointed when Pocket messes up my setup when the inevitable cash grab comes along.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
So I bought this Galaxy S2 second hand and it's in pretty good condition but the battery life seems so shockingly short to me (this is my first smartphone). I keep the brightness at the lowest level and have wi-fi and sync turned off, and I make sure to kill all my unused apps but even then it dies after about 6-8 hours. Is this normal? Should I be doing something else? Should I buy a new battery?

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 25, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Montalvo posted:

So I bought this Galaxy S2 second hand and it's in pretty good condition but the battery life seems so shockingly short to me (this is my first smartphone). I keep the brightness at the lowest level and have wi-fi and sync turned off, and I make sure to kill all my unused apps but even then it dies after about 6-8 hours. Is this normal? Should I be doing something else? Should I buy a new battery?

6-8 sounds pretty drat low. How much are you using it in that time?

Might be worth buying a new battery. You could go extended too.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I admit I do text quite a lot, which probably drains a fair bit from it. The person I bought it from sent me two extended batteries that have equally short battery lives, which makes me think they are a little old too.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Montalvo posted:

Yeah, that's pretty bad. A couple of my friends still have Galaxy S2's and their battery life is way better than that. Try these out:

1) Get a new battery off eBay. They're insanely cheap, and since the S2 is almost two years old at this point it probably needs one anyway.

2) If any custom Roms/Kernels are installed, just go back to stock. Custom Roms/Kernels COULD be great...but the majority of them are complete trash and will do things like this. Notable exception is CM ofcourse, but seriously just go back to stock first if you aren't.

Try those first.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Montalvo posted:

Very normal for me, unfortunately.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Thanks. The phone had been restored to factory settings when I got it so I doubt it's a kernel thing. I'll just buy a new battery off ebay! :)

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Montalvo posted:

So I bought this Galaxy S2 second hand

I'm still with my S2. My suggestions: Go with the Nexus ROM, and replace the "old" batteries. I've run through a battery on my S2 when it just started being unreliable a year after purchase. Make use of that OLED screen by using black-background apps whenever possible (or when it doesn't bother you). I last a work day at maximum brightness with wifi, gps, syncing and tasker always running.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Why has Llama disabled all my ringtone and notification tones? I unchecked those boxes in each profile, yet I continue to get no sounds. Anyone have advice?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Try making sure your ringtones etc are set to an actual ringtone now, and not a llamatone

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Siroc posted:

Why has Llama disabled all my ringtone and notification tones? I unchecked those boxes in each profile, yet I continue to get no sounds. Anyone have advice?

I had this issue for a bit - not with Llama, but something CM10.1 was doing. There's a hidden "system" sound level that was set to 0. I changed it with Android Assistant.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Montalvo posted:

Get a new battery for a start. You have a pretty poor phone signal in that graph, nothing much you can do about that but it'll murder your battery. Your WiFi was on all the time as well- good if you were connected to a hotspot, poor if not. Something is also keeping your phone awake a lot, what apps do you use that are constantly connecting & updating?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
The new weather channel app is awesome. Great functionality, and now it doesn't look like it stepped out of 2009 anymore :v:

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Cakefool posted:

Get a new battery for a start. You have a pretty poor phone signal in that graph, nothing much you can do about that but it'll murder your battery. Your WiFi was on all the time as well- good if you were connected to a hotspot, poor if not. Something is also keeping your phone awake a lot, what apps do you use that are constantly connecting & updating?

I'm on Vodafone in Australia which pretty much means that I have to have shoddy signal. The WiFi is definitely on a lot but that's because I was at home and then at work, and in both places I can connect to the internet. Not sure what might be keeping it awake, I mean I only really use Whatsapp all that much for messaging and not much else. Google Maps maybe? It could be Latitude.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Montalvo posted:

I'm on Vodafone in Australia

I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I was a naive, optimistic and new to the country. I knew no better. It's okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What does your battery usage by app say?

• Locked thread