Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

axleblaze posted:

Redacted. I have seen very few movies that are bad as Redacted period but completely fumbling my favorite sub genre doesn't help.

Oh hell yes, I'd completely forgotten about Redacted. I saw it, thought it was utter trash, then saw De Palma's name show up in the credits and I sincerely thought the director was some guy working under a knock-off name.

Nope. De Palma made that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Oh hell yes, I'd completely forgotten about Redacted. I saw it, thought it was utter trash, then saw De Palma's name show up in the credits and I sincerely thought the director was some guy working under a knock-off name.

Nope. De Palma made that.

This is my reaction to everything De Palma has made for a couple decades now.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
Does anyone know of any good found footage films that actually try to go somewhere with documentary approach other than "rear end in a top hat with camera records all his friends deaths for no real reason"? other than Grave Encounters and Last Exorcism.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Undead Unicorn posted:

Does anyone know of any good found footage films that actually try to go somewhere with documentary approach other than "rear end in a top hat with camera records all his friends deaths for no real reason"? other than Grave Encounters and Last Exorcism.

Ghostwatch and Lake Mungo take the approach in unique directions. Actually come to think of it so does The Last Broadcast.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Undead Unicorn posted:

The Tunnel, while not remarkable, takes this approach.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Fungah posted:

Which ending did you see?

We ended up watching the American ending, so that probably explained why it sucked so much. I just watched the original ending, and yeah, it is way better.

The Bananana posted:

Good. That really is a great all around horror movie. Now do yourself a favor and don't watch the sequel.

Yeah, I took one look at the crawlers in the squeal, and pretty much gave up after that.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Undead Unicorn posted:

Do you mean films that are closer to mockumentaries in style, or just films that don't end with everyone dying?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RightClickSaveAs posted:

All this talk of The Thing made me go rewatch The Thing on Netflix. I liked it even more than I remembered.
So I hoped on to Netflix and watched The Thing. I've always seen it on DVD and I don't know why but it was always so drat dark. It was like a completely different movie. I could see everything. Every-loving-thing. So many eyes and fangs and boils. Dear god it was horrifying all over again.

Every time I watch The Thing though I'm always upset that I've seen The Thing. So many great moments that you can really only experience once. The blood scene, the defibrillator scene. It's never as amazing as the first time you watch it.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

JP Money posted:

I just watched Grave Encounters 2 . I really don't know how to feel. In some sense I feel like it didn't have anywhere near the atmosphere of the first. There were many parts that did feel just like number 1 but ended up spiraling off into bullshit. It really took a pretty lame twist later on but it was still entertaining enough I guess.

I saw the first one last summer, and enjoyed it for what it was. It definitely wasn't perfect and it drew HEAVILY on its influences, but they made it work.

About 2-3 months after I saw it, I worked on a horror set filmed in the Grave Encounters shooting location. It's a real abandoned mental hospital just outside of Vancouver, which is now basically ONLY a filming location. I can't even describe the vibe in that place, everything is eerie and creepy as gently caress. So of course I was making GBS threads bricks all day thinking about Grave Encounters.

Anyway, shortly after that I saw GE2. I thought it was pretty bad and didn't really bring any original ideas, but I enjoyed it simply because the entire premise was "We're going to the shooting location of Grave Encounters to make a movie", which is something I had just done like a week before I saw it.

They really do have pretty tight security for the buildings, but because of asbestos and trespassing, not because of demon ghosts.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Do you mean films that are closer to mockumentaries in style, or just films that don't end with everyone dying?

The former. I don't really care about "plot holes" about the film somehow finding it's way into my theater or home. It's just I'm tired of the Paranormal Activity premise of random dudes filming their homes or eventual graves for very little reason. Sometimes it's used for good effect to characterize the main character or explore the films themes, but drat if it's getting old.

Undead Unicorn fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 25, 2013

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Volume posted:

So I hoped on to Netflix and watched The Thing. I've always seen it on DVD and I don't know why but it was always so drat dark. It was like a completely different movie. I could see everything. Every-loving-thing. So many eyes and fangs and boils. Dear god it was horrifying all over again.

Every time I watch The Thing though I'm always upset that I've seen The Thing. So many great moments that you can really only experience once. The blood scene, the defibrillator scene. It's never as amazing as the first time you watch it.
I wonder if there's some kind HD retouching done to the version that's up on Netflix. I still watch a lot of stuff on DVD, and I've noticed that Netflix's HD streaming looks much better in a lot of cases, even with older movies. Plus the creature effects are just so good. Everything pulses and oozes and drips and it still looks awesome today.

And that blood samples scene, such wonderfully tense filmmaking. *skrittcchh ssssss*

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I wonder if there's some kind HD retouching done to the version that's up on Netflix. I still watch a lot of stuff on DVD, and I've noticed that Netflix's HD streaming looks much better in a lot of cases, even with older movies. Plus the creature effects are just so good. Everything pulses and oozes and drips and it still looks awesome today.

And that blood samples scene, such wonderfully tense filmmaking. *skrittcchh ssssss*

Movies shot on film will always look better in HD, no matter how old they are. 35mm has a hell of a lot more detail than DVD can show. There's no "retouching in HD," you're just seeing it closer to how it was originally projected.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Undead Unicorn posted:

The former. I don't really care about "plot holes" about the film somehow finding it's way into my theater or home. It's just I'm tired of the Paranormal Activity premise of random dudes filming their homes or eventual graves for very little reason. Sometimes it's used for good effect to characterize the main character or explore the films themes, but drat if it's getting old.

Well in that case, I can recommend... most of them?

Found-footage films that strive to replicate amateur footage are a relative rarity in the genre, with the bulk of them being about professional documentary crews stumbling into genre scenarios. "Ghost hunters actually find a ghost" is, by far, the most common type of narrative.

Even those that are presented as 'pure' amateur footage are often edited into a documentary format anyways, to some degree or another. Cloverfield, UFO Abduction and Quarantine are some of the few examples I can think of, offhand, to feature only "in-camera" editing (ignoring the necessary conceit of end credits, and the bureaucratic notes edited onto the beginning of Cloverfield). And then, Quarantine's footage was technically filmed by a professional cameraman within the diegesis.

It's far easier to list films that do feature 'some guy with a camera' than those that don't.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 25, 2013

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Speaking of (sort of) found footage, just watched "The Fourth Kind". Ugh, terrible. I should have heeded the warnings.

It was just so.. boring!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

priznat posted:

Speaking of (sort of) found footage, just watched "The Fourth Kind". Ugh, terrible. I should have heeded the warnings.

It was just so.. boring!

You're wrong :colbert:

You're reaction is a common one, actually. No one I know in real life likes that film :smith:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

You're wrong :colbert:

You're reaction is a common one, actually. No one I know in real life likes that film :smith:

Seriously, I love slow paced, meditative movies that have an unsettling feel to them but this one just felt wrong.

It had some good promise with some really nice shots of the plane flying into Nome (haha, no that is Squamish BC, Nome has no trees whatsoever). But drat apart from some frustratingly distorted found video footage there wasn't anything even above the creepy level of an episode of "goosebumps".

I'm curious what you liked about it though. Help me see it as you do!

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Regarding Lake Mungo, I found it frankly a little boring. I liked the subplot regarding how both Alice and her family approached the same psychic, but I feel like I'm missing something, considering the praise it received in this thread. Did Alice follow her family to their new house? Is there more to it than that?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Cliff posted:

Regarding Lake Mungo, I found it frankly a little boring. I liked the subplot regarding how both Alice and her family approached the same psychic, but I feel like I'm missing something, considering the praise it received in this thread. Did Alice follow her family to their new house? Is there more to it than that?

No, she remained at the old house, terrified and alone. Which is exactly the kind of idea that can wreck a grieving family... when the mother "moves on with her life" she's actually abandoning her child. It's a literalization and justification of survivor's guilt.

At least that's how I read it.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Ah, that makes sense, considering how many people in this thread commented on how sad the ending was. I really couldn't tell if that was a photo of their old house or their new one.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

priznat posted:

Seriously, I love slow paced, meditative movies that have an unsettling feel to them but this one just felt wrong.

It had some good promise with some really nice shots of the plane flying into Nome (haha, no that is Squamish BC, Nome has no trees whatsoever). But drat apart from some frustratingly distorted found video footage there wasn't anything even above the creepy level of an episode of "goosebumps".

I'm curious what you liked about it though. Help me see it as you do!

I have to see it again to give a detailed response, but it had some really terrifying scenes somehow made more effective by its meta "This is actors acting out what happened. But this is real."

It's been a while. Really want to see it again.

Whispering Machines posted:

I watched the Silent Hill sequel. Because.. I had to. I swear I'm like cursed in that I HAVE to watch sequels to everything I've seen.

Actors slipping into their natural accents, everyone looking bored as poo poo, Pyramid Head looked like he was on steroids, random bits of three games thrown into the story, Kit Harington being way too cute and young to play someone as creepy as game Vincent was, bad CGI, and just overall awfulness. Grown Alessa looked like an angry mallgoth more than she did a demon. Uuguguhhhh.

Just saw this. That was appallingly bad. Everything about it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Cliff posted:

Ah, that makes sense, considering how many people in this thread commented on how sad the ending was. I really couldn't tell if that was a photo of their old house or their new one.

The only thing I would really say before watching it is that it's a ghost story rather than a horror movie.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

leokitty posted:

Diary of the Dead is the only movie I ever walked out on. I didn't feel well and just couldn't take it anymore. I think I left pretty close to the end but not knowing how it finishes up exactly hasn't really haunted me.

axleblaze posted:

I miss living in a world where Diary of the Dead was the worst found footage film I'd ever seen because man is it terrible and nothing should be worse than it.

Diary was my first date with my boyfriend, I knew it would work out when we spent the rest of our date discussing how utterly terrible it was and how Romero will never top Martin.

Volume posted:

The Blu-Ray for The Thing is one of my most treasured purchases, I watch it during the first snowstorm of every winter and almost every year I go back to the best FX shots and go through them frame-by-frame, just so I can admire the work that went into it.

Has anybody seen The Possession? It came and went without me ever noticing it, but I remember an old copy-paste story from /x/ about a cursed dibbuk box that was bought on eBay (one of my favorite creepypastas, to be honest), and this looks like they lifted the plot exactly. Is it at all worth checking out? Did they actually release the R-rated version on DVD?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The only thing I would really say before watching it is that it's a ghost story rather than a horror movie.

I've described it to friends as "the only Lifetime movie you might enjoy since it is a good ghost story and has a couple decent scares."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's a lot better than a Lifetime movie, I can't think of many Lifetime movies that I think are actually really well made. It's more like the newsmagazine style which is far superior. It looks identical to a "classy" 20/20 story.

demozthenes posted:

Diary was my first date with my boyfriend, I knew it would work out when we spent the rest of our date discussing how utterly terrible it was and how Romero will never top Martin.

I was just thinking that I'm shocked someone hasn't remade Martin.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 25, 2013

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I have to see it again to give a detailed response, but it had some really terrifying scenes somehow made more effective by its meta "This is actors acting out what happened. But this is real."

It's been a while. Really want to see it again.

The scene where the guy she puts under hypnosis gets paralyzed is pretty loving scary. Especially if you have the sound up, the scene goes from quiet to deafening real quick. And the distortion on the "actual footage" patient's face is really really creepy, as is the voice they use for what posesses him.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

The scene where the guy she puts under hypnosis gets paralyzed is pretty loving scary. Especially if you have the sound up, the scene goes from quiet to deafening real quick. And the distortion on the "actual footage" patient's face is really really creepy, as is the voice they use for what posesses him.

I think the choice to have that in lo-res, 4:3 clips within the picture lessened the impact considerably for me. Big black borders around the picture and had to lean in to discern any detail. Even then it wasn't that creepy and the audio was just so distorted due to "clipping".

I think they should have abandoned the recorded "real" footage schtick. I thought the most effective scene was the POV when she was in bed when the door opened. Then it went to poo poo with nothing shown on screen other than a lot of bed sheets and screaming.

Don't need to have the monsters shoved in my face constantly, but give some payoff for crap's sake.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

demozthenes posted:

Has anybody seen The Possession? It came and went without me ever noticing it, but I remember an old copy-paste story from /x/ about a cursed dibbuk box that was bought on eBay (one of my favorite creepypastas, to be honest), and this looks like they lifted the plot exactly. Is it at all worth checking out? Did they actually release the R-rated version on DVD?

Hmmm... is it worth checking out? Well, I suppose if you've got two hours to kill, and a buck or two for a redbox or something, yeah its not a total waste.

From what I recall, I rented the pg-13 version. I recall 3 things from the film. I sympathised with the dad, and was irritated by a few female characters interactions with him, particularly the emotionally inconsistent ex-wife. I thought the child actress did a good enough job, which in my opinion, can be a trouble spot in acting. And the pacing was also about good enough, if not a lottle rushed at the end. A few imperfections, but not technically inept. Just a forgettable film in the long run. It doesn't have too much to say.

Disclaimer: it's been a while since ive seen it, so I may be misremembering the film and its qualities.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I saw The Possession at the movies when it was released, and didn't think I wasted money on a ticket.

It was pretty good. Not super terrific, but pretty good.

Also helps that I really like Jeffrey Dean Morgan though.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I think The House of Clocks is my new favorite Fulci movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

I think The House of Clocks is my new favorite Fulci movie.

I haven't even heard of this one. Care to elaborate?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I haven't even heard of this one. Care to elaborate?

Neither had I!

APPARENTLY, back in 1988/89, there were plans to do a an anthology horror TV series in Italy called The House of Doom. Umberto Lenzi directed two feature length episodes, so did Fulci. They were all too violent to air, so they just released them DTV as unrelated films.

This one's the first I've seen, it's about three burglars who bust into a creepy mansion and kill the elderly owners, but then the clocks turn backwards and the old people lurch back up and stalk the burglars through the mansion. I don't want to spoil any more than that, but I'll say this: there's a loose end that drove me crazy until the last 30 seconds, when it resolved in the most satisfying way possible.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

Neither had I!

APPARENTLY, back in 1988/89, there were plans to do a an anthology horror TV series in Italy called The House of Doom. Umberto Lenzi directed two feature length episodes, so did Fulci. They were all too violent to air, so they just released them DTV as unrelated films.

This one's the first I've seen, it's about three burglars who bust into a creepy mansion and kill the elderly owners, but then the clocks turn backwards and the old people lurch back up and stalk the burglars through the mansion. I don't want to spoil any more than that, but I'll say this: there's a loose end that drove me crazy until the last 30 seconds, when it resolved in the most satisfying way possible.

Sounds awesome. I'll keep an eye out for it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The thing about Fulci though is I always forget how much I like his style so it's like every new Fulci is my favorite. So ya know. There's that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

The thing about Fulci though is I always forget how much I like his style so it's like every new Fulci is my favorite. So ya know. There's that.

That's fair, I've been trying to work my way through a lot of his stuff that I haven't seen. The ones I can get my hands on, anyway. Conquest and Four of the Apocalypse were both ill.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

penismightier posted:

Neither had I!

I love that premise.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I love that premise.

Me too. I want to adapt it. I want everybody to adapt it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Reading that also makes me realize there was a hell of a lot of anthology horor back in the 60's and 70's. The idea of something being too violent to air is just killer.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Reading that also makes me realize there was a hell of a lot of anthology horor back in the 60's and 70's. The idea of something being too violent to air is just killer.

This was actually late '80s, which seems like it was another boom for anthology horror. You had the 40s, 60s/70s, and the 80s. Come on, we're due for a revival.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Don't forget the 90's, which had Tales from the Crypt, Goosebumps, Are You Afraid of The Dark, Tales from the Hood, etc. Yeah, the most recent stuff I can think of is that TNT Nightmares and Dreamscapes anthology (which isn't that bad) and Master of Horror (which varies from amusing to flat out unwatchable).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Don't forget the 90's, which had Tales from the Crypt, Goosebumps, Are You Afraid of The Dark, Tales from the Hood, etc. Yeah, the most recent stuff I can think of is that TNT Nightmares and Dreamscapes anthology (which isn't that bad) and Master of Horror (which varies from amusing to flat out unwatchable).

It is genuinely amazing how well Are You Afraid of the Dark has aged.