Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

nrr posted:

Needs a touch of grenadine.

In "it's fun to be a bartender" news, I got tipped in gold the other day. Had some guy and his son in from somewhere in the south of the US and after taking care of them for almost an hour, he stopped me and pulled a little bag out of his pocket and said, "Listen. From time to time, I like to give these out to people who deserve them..." And handed me this little thing that looked like a shiny penny. Turns out, it's one of these.

I've seen an inordinate amount of crazy and hilarious poo poo in my time behind the bar, but I thought this was a new level of cool.

I would just quit my job bartending at that point because it is impossible to top that story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Now, see, for me, this reeks of a counterfeit scam. Sure, he probably pays in legal tender, but I'd be checking that coin for chocolate.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

nrr posted:

I've seen an inordinate amount of crazy and hilarious poo poo in my time behind the bar, but I thought this was a new level of cool.

You could always try to verify the coin in this fancy new coin thread

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

Where are the best places to find a barback job? Craigslist? What do I need to know before applying to a barback job (compared to the list of cocktails in the OP for a bartending job). It seems like the best way for a guy to get started in the business.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Econosaurus posted:

Where are the best places to find a barback job? Craigslist? What do I need to know before applying to a barback job (compared to the list of cocktails in the OP for a bartending job). It seems like the best way for a guy to get started in the business.

Where do you live? Because sometimes the answer to "where can I get a barbacking job" is "In the 1980s" depending on your location.

If the answer isn't The 1980s then answer is At A Bar. You just go around and make a resume and apply and display that A) You work like a dog that's been beaten continually its whole life and B) You like to eat poo poo and maybe C) You're not a hunchback. Do you clean toilets? I clean the poo poo out of toilets. Do you do security? I do the poo poo out of security. You have to cold call, no one ever advertises barback jobs.

IMO the best way to get to be a bartender as a male person in this day and age is to get hired as a busser or server at a chain restaurant with a bar (Outback, Red Lobster, etc) and work hard, be on time, and continually befriend management and remind them that you really want to be behind the bar. After six months there you can then usually transition to a real bar, especially if you've been working hard at networking.

raton fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 7, 2013

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Econosaurus posted:

You probably won't be able to "get a barbacking job." The reason is, in a number of places, the barback job is held by people who can and will work extremely hard in poor conditions for mediocre pay ( :shh: Mexicans :shh: ). In other places, the barback is a sort of apprentice bartender and is normally a security guy who is on his way up. My barbacks all work at least one shift a week as security in addition to their barback shift.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
What do you guys mean why you say serving a drink up or down?

Also, first time I drank (legally) at a bar I ordered an Appletini because I'm a huge girl and really liked scrubs, and this women at the bar gives me this look and says "Really?"

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Basically (at least as I've understood it), up is chilled but not served with ice and down is served on ice. And gently caress that woman because I put Calvados in apple martinis and Calvados is awesome.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

FISHMANPET posted:

Also, first time I drank (legally) at a bar I ordered an Appletini because I'm a huge girl and really liked scrubs, and this women at the bar gives me this look and says "Really?"

This is the correct response. Go try a Calvados sour (do not use sour mix) and become enlightened.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Basically (at least as I've understood it), up is chilled but not served with ice and down is served on ice. And gently caress that woman because I put Calvados in apple martinis and Calvados is awesome.

"On the rocks" is on ice, down means shaken over ice, then the ice is strained out and the drink's served specifically in a rocks glass (no stem). "Up" means shaken over ice and then the ice is strained out. There's some ambiguity about "straight up" versus "up" so I can't speak on that with any confidence.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Up is a real thing. Down is fairly well understood based on "up" but is not a real thing. Straight up is not a real thing. Straight is. When people order a drink "straight up" it usually means they're hill people and want their drink neat, but you always have to clarify with them, where you will say "so not chilled, no ice?" and they say "HELL YEAH MAN I SAID STRAIGHT UP" or you will say "chilled but no ice in the glass?" and they will say "HELL YEAH MAN I SAID STRAIGHT UP"

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

In my experience "straight up" is just white trash/townie for "I want a shot of that".

It also translates to "I don't know how to drink in a real bar and you're probably going to have to cut me off or kick me out at some point. And on top of that, I'm going to hit every single customer pet peeve that you have before I leave. Every single loving one."

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
"Straight up" = I have an uncanny ability to make any woman I talk to uncomfortable

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

fuzzy_logic posted:

"On the rocks" is on ice, down means shaken over ice, then the ice is strained out and the drink's served specifically in a rocks glass (no stem). "Up" means shaken over ice and then the ice is strained out. There's some ambiguity about "straight up" versus "up" so I can't speak on that with any confidence.

I am forever dishonored, seppuku by serrated paring knife is my only option now. But thanks, that's good to know. I guess I've been lucky that no one has asked me for anything down before!

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I am forever dishonored, seppuku by serrated paring knife is my only option now. But thanks, that's good to know. I guess I've been lucky that no one has asked me for anything down before!

You're far more likely to have someone order it as chilled rather than down.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I always thought up or down just referred to the glassware (cocktail glass vs rocks glass) and anything involving the making of the drink (shaking with ice, stirring with ice, etc) happened independently of "up" or "down".

edit: ah, unless you're talking single spirits; when I ask for down it's usually because I'd rather futz with a rocks glass at the time or if the place is crowded and I don't want someone taking my coupe out with their elbow

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 14, 2013

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

I almost always order my cocktails like that because I have some of the most unsteady hands in the world and drinking out of fancy glassware is a headache for me.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Dirnok posted:

I almost always order my cocktails like that because I have some of the most unsteady hands in the world and drinking out of fancy glassware is a headache for me.

Might want to tone down your drinking a bit....

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

sounds like withdrawals to me. get yourself a drink immediately

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Nah, had the shaky hands before the alcoholism.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dirnok posted:

Yeah, I'm the same way. I can handle a wineglass, but any of those stupid wide-topped shallow glasses means I'm probably spilling. I think I just tend to move too quickly, I need that extra half inch of a barrier between my drink and the open air.

And, of course, it gets even worse when I've already started drinking.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

so in a hilarious twist of events that would make the odd couple jealous, it turns out my housemate is a solid, no joke alcoholic. and by hilarious, I mean incredibly depressing and pathetic. not, "alcoholic" like the fun wacky kind that we all pretend to be and joke about because we drink a shitload of booze, but like the full on intervention worthy, out of control, life ruining, actual alcoholic.

I sat him down tonight and told him some really lovely truths that he didn't want to hear and I think I managed to get through to him on a few levels that really hit home for him. it's practically embarrassing how much respect the guy has for me so it looks like for once i may have actually used my powers for good to make a positive change in someones life. gently caress i hate it when the universe tricks me into being an adult

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

ironically, there's something about watching a grown man cry that creates an instantaneous and very pressing urge to drink

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

The number of people requesting — no, demanding, a straw in their Irish coffees yesterday was atrocious. Also some people complained that the cream wasn't whipped enough. We're known for having the best Irish in the state and here they go ruining it. We're usually pretty adamant on not giving out straws for neither drinks that aren't supposed to have one nor the Irish coffee, but when the clientele gets all pissy and threaten to leave what are you supposed to do? Must be the imminent full moon.

The worst was the one that had "drunk Irish coffee all around the world and I've always gotten a straw. Even in Glasgow." Oh my. She then proceeded to stir it and complained it was cold. Some people. How do you make yours?

photo kiosk of life posted:

My shoes are starting to wear out and making my feet really loving ache as of late. What kind of shoes do some of you guys have? And where did you get them?

Norwegian Army M77 marching boots. Stands up to 12-hour shifts quite OK without the feet hurting too much afterwards. I should really get a pair of good sneakers but I'm a poor sod.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

JazzmasterCurious posted:

The worst was the one that had "drunk Irish coffee all around the world and I've always gotten a straw. Even in Glasgow." Oh my. She then proceeded to stir it and complained it was cold. Some people. How do you make yours?

Pour coffee. Apply whiskey. Consume. Isn't the whole point of Irish coffee to be a simple way to catch an alcohol buzz and a caffeine buzz at the same time?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Shoechat: I rock a pair of Red Wings on the rec of the BoH thread here. I know the Employees Only crew wears clogs at work, which are solid, but I prefer more ankle support and need the serious non-slip when I'm running down the backstairs in a kitchen to juice more ginger.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Just found out our new GM has experience in New York. Quite excited to be working with him and getting a sense of American protocols. :dance:

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Shooting Blanks posted:

Pour coffee. Apply whiskey. Consume. Isn't the whole point of Irish coffee to be a simple way to catch an alcohol buzz and a caffeine buzz at the same time?

Proper Irish coffee has hand whipped until almost whipped cream in it too.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

After some very slow, cold months and then a fire, I'm being thrown back in to work a double.

And I'm so excited.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Re: Shoes - I swear by Dansko's - I rock a pair of Dansko Walkers and they are the best work shoes I have ever owned, my feet are fine even after 3 14 hour shifts in a row - and that's switching between bartending, serving, and managing on the fly. They cost a bit, but I've owned mine for almost a year now and they've been worth every penny of the ~$150 I paid for them.

edit- these guys - http://www.dansko.com/At%20Work/Mens/Footwear/View%20All/Walker/Black%20Smooth/

Seriously, forget best work shoes I've owned, best shoes I've owned period. My Nikes and all my various skate shoes don't hold a candle to how comfortable these things are.

Dramatika fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 9, 2013

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
How concerned do you guys get about people driving drunk, and is there any liability involved with dram shop laws provided someone gets nabbed for DUI but doesn't actually cause an accident? I was at the bar earlier, and while I was having a smoke outside, I saw an obviously intoxicated person stumble across the street to their car, get in, destroy the better part of their clutch getting out of their parking spot, and drive off. I called 911 with the plate and a vehicle description, but now I'm feeling a bit worried that I could've landed my local bar and bartenders in poo poo if he actually does get caught or, god forbid, causes an accident. I like to think I'm an easy-going guy, but as a frequent driver and pedestrian in that area, among others, I feel that drunk driving is just not acceptable.

Is there any real way to prevent drunk driving short of demanding car keys from every customer as they walk in? It's a downtown bar, and most of the patrons live within easy walking distance, so I think they may be a little lax about whatever measures they ought to be taking, but upon thinking about it for a while, I can't think of what any of those measures might actually be.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

nrr posted:

ironically, there's something about watching a grown man cry that creates an instantaneous and very pressing urge to drink

Seriously. Every "intervention" I've ever been a part of has made me wish I was loaded before, during, and after.

navyjack fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 10, 2013

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
3 days til Judgement Day 2013. I've been on vacation for almost 2 weeks now, and it will be (almost) my first shift back.

That's gonna be a thing.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I usually get at least a little worried coming back after a break, but it always surprises me how easy it is to get right back into the flow again. I think you'll be fine.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

People think it's odd, but I wear running shoes behind the bar. I did when I barbacked a huge nightclub as well. I wear Red Wings at home, but don't like trashing them through bar slop at work.

Also, we are blessed with St. Pat's on a Sunday, and will be closed. A friend of mine starts his first bar job backing at the biggest little bar in town on Sunday though, he is going to get his will, might, and wit crushed through the ringer. Which, with a bar job, means it's only uphill from there.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

PT6A posted:

How concerned do you guys get about people driving drunk, and is there any liability involved with dram shop laws provided someone gets nabbed for DUI but doesn't actually cause an accident? I was at the bar earlier, and while I was having a smoke outside, I saw an obviously intoxicated person stumble across the street to their car, get in, destroy the better part of their clutch getting out of their parking spot, and drive off. I called 911 with the plate and a vehicle description, but now I'm feeling a bit worried that I could've landed my local bar and bartenders in poo poo if he actually does get caught or, god forbid, causes an accident. I like to think I'm an easy-going guy, but as a frequent driver and pedestrian in that area, among others, I feel that drunk driving is just not acceptable.

Is there any real way to prevent drunk driving short of demanding car keys from every customer as they walk in? It's a downtown bar, and most of the patrons live within easy walking distance, so I think they may be a little lax about whatever measures they ought to be taking, but upon thinking about it for a while, I can't think of what any of those measures might actually be.

I don't have to worry about this as often as some other bartenders since my place is also a hotel, and most of our guests are staying there. If I ask somebody how they're getting home and they're dodging the question or they outright say they're driving, that's when I have to deal with it. First off, we do the free taxi ride thing, which I think is awesome. If they adamantly refuse, I give them a free drink, probably a coke with a splash of whiskey on top or whatever. Just trying to get them to stay at the bar while not really letting them drink any more. I offer to get them something from the kitchen. Our chef has no problem giving a drunk some food if it means keeping them from driving drunk. If all else fails, we could always call our security or the cops. There are patrol cars all around the area, and they respond incredibly quickly to any call.

Of course, I've only really had to do that once. Usually the problem is solved before it comes to that.

Hope that helps?

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Tonight was the penultimate shift at the best loving bar I've ever worked in, and given that 57% of my coworkers are goons, I wanted to post that I'm so sorry that I need to go, and the Bowery crew will always be the best loving crew I've ever worked with, and no other shithole hipster bar will ever top what you will all continue to do for this bogan infested shitfest that we call our home

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

"gently caress yea..."

If I ran a bar I'd require all my staff to make this face as often as possible.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
The pastry section in our kitchen uses one of those and maybe its just old, but the thing rumbles like a jet engine. I always worry about it exploding as I pass by.

Worked 2 days with a nasty cold and fever this week because we're so short staffed, officially the worst thing ever. Never have I been so glad to have an espresso machine on hand - must've sucked down a gallon of honeyed chamomile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
What does it do? Some kind of goddamn heated blender?

• Locked thread