Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ape Gone Insane
Dec 10, 2010

PaganGoatPants posted:

Where the hell can I buy the paperback version of A Dance of Dragons? Amazon has some weird pre-order thing going and it's confusing as all gently caress.

It's not really been released yet as a single volume/book. I think it comes out in October. For now, if you desperately want paperback, they split the book into two paperbacks, 'Dreams and Dust' and 'After the feast'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Ape Gone Insane posted:

It's not really been released yet as a single volume/book. I think it comes out in October. For now, if you desperately want paperback, they split the book into two paperbacks, 'Dreams and Dust' and 'After the feast'.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Dance-With-Dragons-George-Martin/9780006486114

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

It's either sold out or they can't sell it to customers in the US because I get this message:

quote:

Currently unavailable

We can notify you when this item is back in stock and you don't have to register.

Which is what shows up when they can't sell something to you because of publisher restrictions. I think publishers are starting to crack down on these guys because I've had to go to eBay to get several books first/only printed in the UK over the last several months.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

OH WORD SON posted:

Anyone here read Bernard Cornwell? I just finished his latest Saxon chronicles book and i was wondering if there are any other authors like him. Dude can write a battle, for sure.

I've been reading his Warlord Chronicles. I think it might be in the same era as the Saxon Chronicles. I have yet to get to the final book but the second book was devoid of any big battle but the first one had a real well written one, with great tension who would win it. Warlord Chronicles is based on the Arthurian legend btw but without any of the magic...

I've only read one Sanderson novel but the first Mistborn had some good battles, well they weren't really battles more like 1 v 1 fights but pretty well written with his whole magic system.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Is there a good way to find out how rare a book really is if there is no listing for it anywhere on the internet?

I've got this oddball old religious book called "The Great Teacher" by Rev. A. Templeton that was published in 1876 out of a small-time publishing house in Tennessee that somebody used like it was a family bible. The book itself claims to be the fourth in a series to be published for Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and Googling the author tells me that the author died in 1882, but I'm not having much luck finding out anything specific about the book publishing itself.

Some of the hand-written notes are interesting, anyway. A semi-creepy love note on the first page where it looks like somebody gave it to a sweetheart (keep this book until thy death... I am thy true friend until the day I die, etc.) and a bunch of kids names and birth dates in the back).

The last names are all Dunn, but the dates make no sense (one of them claims they were born on September 31st 1903).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

There are at least three other copies in existence based on this page. I can't imagine the print run of any edition/printing (that link indicates at least three) being very large, so existing copies surely number less than 100, and less than 10 or 20 is a possibility. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if there were only four copies left; the three in that archive and your copy.

If you want more info, I'd suggest contacting the people behind the page I linked, provided their contact info is still good.

As for dates not making sense, I'm guessing the folks that owned that book were not the best-educated.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I also have an old hardback book called "The Democratic Electoral Handbook" on the spine and just "The Democratic Handbook" inside. It name drops Buchanan and Breckenridge inside and each section of the book is divided by having different size sheets of paper in each section. It is dated 1856 if that means anything.

It's like somebody literally took copies of the flyers and charts being used as examples and pasted them into the binding of this book. There are tons of typos everywhere and in general looks more like somebody's ham-fisted construction of a book than something that would be deliberately mass-produced. Did I accidentally find something super-rare here?

Should I just take pictures of the weird books I have and start a new thread?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Google tells me that it is widely available as a print on demand book, but I can't find any info about the original.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ornamented Death posted:

Google tells me that it is widely available as a print on demand book, but I can't find any info about the original.

This hardback is nearly as thick as my hardback copy of Dune, while the paperback reprint claims to be a mere 82 pages, so I don't know what the gently caress.

Here, have some scans.

By my count, there are 901 pages in this thing. The page count resets every 8/12/24/32 pages depending on how long a given section is, and there are shitload of sections in it, so I could be off a few, but still.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 26, 2013

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Wade Wilson posted:

This hardback is nearly as thick as my hardback copy of Dune, while the paperback reprint claims to be a mere 82 pages, so I don't know what the gently caress.

It could be that page size and font are normalized for the POD version. It could also be a completely different book. The only way to know for sure is to spring for the POD edition, but it's probably not worth your money. You have a neat old book, no need to dig any deeper than that :).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
gently caress that, I want to find out if this thing belongs in a museum or something.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Wade Wilson posted:

gently caress that, I want to find out if this thing belongs in a museum or something.

Then call a museum I suppose.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Wade Wilson posted:

Try checking out abebooks.com; you can search for other copies of the book and/or post about it in the discussion forum.

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.
It's not really worth anything. It's just an omnibus of campaign material from that election; Hathi Trust describes it as '27 pamphlets in 1'.

Resetting the type into a consistent format and correcting mistakes would've taken a lot of time and money, and I doubt they imagined anyone'd hold onto it after the election was done with, which would explain the slapdash quality. Plus a number of libraries have copies stowed away which they haven't even bothered to catalogue properly.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

inktvis posted:

It's not really worth anything. It's just an omnibus of campaign material from that election; Hathi Trust describes it as '27 pamphlets in 1'.

Resetting the type into a consistent format and correcting mistakes would've taken a lot of time and money, and I doubt they imagined anyone'd hold onto it after the election was done with, which would explain the slapdash quality. Plus a number of libraries have copies stowed away which they haven't even bothered to catalogue properly.

That last bit is how I'm actually finding these books. I've been trawling Friends-of-the-Library places that are selling old library books for stuff to add to my personal library and snagging some really nice hard cover books (got some nice hard cover editions of The Forever War and some other sci-fi classics by Asimov and Bradbury for $.50 each), but every now and then I run across weird stuff like this in their "Free" bins and can't easily identify them with Abebooks (this book, for instance, yields a bunch of search results for other books that aren't even close to this one if I do a vague search, with zero results for a specific title search with Breckenridge or Buchanan in the keywords).

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I'm looking for an Asimov short story where a scientist is talking to a therapist, explaining how the earth/sun is like a test tube and mutually assured destruction is like the proverbial bounds of a petri dish. He's working on a nuclear shield that would prevent global destruction.

Any of this ringing anyone's bells? I'd go into more detail but I'd rather not spoil the whole story because I highly recommend it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cheekio posted:

I'm looking for an Asimov short story where a scientist is talking to a therapist, explaining how the earth/sun is like a test tube and mutually assured destruction is like the proverbial bounds of a petri dish. He's working on a nuclear shield that would prevent global destruction.

Any of this ringing anyone's bells? I'd go into more detail but I'd rather not spoil the whole story because I highly recommend it.

If it's the story I'm thinking of it's titled "Breeds There a Man?"

At least from what I've found in a quick google search.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If it's the story I'm thinking of it's titled "Breeds There a Man?"

At least from what I've found in a quick google search.

Well hole-y-poo poo that's it! I thought I was never going to find it but that certainly is the story I was thinking of. Thanks!

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...
I'm bringing the discussion from the Dresden Thread here to avoid derailment

jivjov posted:

Wait...what's amazon doing to people's e books? This is the first I've heard about this.

You aren't really buying the book, you are buying a license to read the book.

This originally came up in 2009 when there was a copyright issue with a George Orwell book

There's more information about it here.

I accept these terms because I love the convenience of my Kindle, but I'll be damned if I pay real book price for a book that I don't actually own.

Zola fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 27, 2013

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Zola posted:

I'm bringing the discussion from the Dresden Thread here to avoid derailment

You aren't really buying the book, you are buying a license to read the book.

This originally came up in 2009 when there was a copyright issue with a George Orwell book

There's more information about it here.

I accept these terms because I love the convenience of my Kindle, but I'll be damned if I pay real book price for a book that I don't actually own.

The whole idea of paying for a license to read a book is simply absurd to me. If I buy an mp3 off of the Amazon store it's mine like I had purchased a physical CD once I download it (not counting resale rights which are a legal mess). So while I understand copy protection the whole licensing idea just seems like an excuse for them to do whatever they want.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...

Kwyndig posted:

The whole idea of paying for a license to read a book is simply absurd to me. If I buy an mp3 off of the Amazon store it's mine like I had purchased a physical CD once I download it (not counting resale rights which are a legal mess). So while I understand copy protection the whole licensing idea just seems like an excuse for them to do whatever they want.

That's why I generally won't buy books for Kindle that aren't at least a couple of dollars less than the paperback price. The ebook is less valuable to me--I may or may not be able to lend it to anyone, and I certainly can't sell it. Plus they didn't have to pay for printing so why aren't they passing on some of those savings?

I have nothing against publishers making an honest profit, understand, but as a general rule, if they're going to charge me as much as they would for a paperback, I'll take the paperback, thanks. The only exception to this is tech books--I'm a coder, and that stuff changes so fast that I'd just as soon just have an e-book on the Kindle as have a doorstop that will be useless in a couple of years.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

One thing that should be cleared up about the matter is that the person selling the 1984 ebook didn't have the rights. They did give a refund when it was removed so you could have gone out and purchased the version from the publisher who actually had the rights. Certainly was a dick move to just have it happen out of the blue though.

But it's a moot point now anyways; thanks to the lawsuit that ensued Amazon can only do that sort of thing manually now, and if Amazon doesn't have your consent they can't do anything (and if they did, there's now precedence about it so it would stand up in court).

And if you're paranoid about Amazon taking away your ebooks, it's really easy to just use Calibre to strip the DRM and make your own backups.

Srice fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 27, 2013

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...

Srice posted:

One thing that should be cleared up about the matter is that the person selling the 1984 ebook didn't have the rights. They did give a refund when it was removed so you could have gone out and purchased the version from the publisher who actually had the rights. Certainly was a dick move to just have it happen out of the blue though.

But it's a moot point now anyways; thanks to the lawsuit that ensued Amazon can only do that sort of thing manually now, and if Amazon doesn't have your consent they can't do anything (and if they did, there's now precedence about it so it would stand up in court).

And if you're paranoid about Amazon taking away your ebooks, it's really easy to just use Calibre to strip the DRM and make your own backups.

One of the links that I posted was fairly recent, they locked someone out of her account so she didn't have any access to her books.

I'm not the least bit paranoid about Amazon taking my books, the original discussion was in the Dresden Files thread, someone suggested a series and I was bitching about publishers who charged the same for ebooks as they did for paperbacks. The fact that I didn't own the Kindle content in the same way that I owned the book was one of the points I mentioned for believing it wasn't justified. Apparently the licensing versus ownership difference wasn't as well known as I'd thought it was.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Any fans of Taltos here? I finished the entire series in a binge session around the time Tiassa came out. I've been having a bitch of a time finding any news about subsequent books though... Anyone know if there's been any word on the next book?

Also anyone have any good fantasy suggestions? I've read the majority of the super popular books and it's been tough finding something good to read. I've been considering Daniel Abraham's Dagger and Coin series, as I enjoyed The Long Price Quartet well enough but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything else.

A quick run down of what I've read recently: Red Country by Joe Abercrombie (highly recommend this author), The Daylight War by Peter Brett, Shadow & Claw by Gene Wolfe.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Razzled posted:

Any fans of Taltos here? I finished the entire series in a binge session around the time Tiassa came out. I've been having a bitch of a time finding any news about subsequent books though... Anyone know if there's been any word on the next book?

Hawk is like halfway done. He says it's going really slow but steady.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...

wiegieman posted:

Hawk is like halfway done. He says it's going really slow but steady.

Here is Steven Brust's blog where he says so

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Is anyone else really bothered by audiobook readers who insist on doing terrible foreign accents for all the characters/interviewees in a book?

I spend about an hour and a half in the car every day, so I have plenty of time to listen to audiobooks. But I just hate it when a reader is terrible at accents (and let's be honest, most people are) but does them anyway. So much so that I'll just stop listening even though the subject matter is actually interesting. Most recently I was listening to "Uranium: War, Energy, and the Rock That Shaped the World" by Tom Zoellner, but I had to stop because there were too many interviews and quotes from non-Americans and the reader did a terrible imitation of a foreign accent for each one of them. I don't care if Ernest Rutherford is from New Zealand, if you can't do a decent New Zealand accent don't even try, it's distracting!

Also in this category: "Bonk" by Mary Roach. Had to stop listening because of a terrible fake Indian accent.

So am I just anal-retentive or is anyone else bothered by this?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I just want distinction.
Bad accents are much better than making it unclear who's speaking.

zorachus
Sep 4, 2009
"fuck protein"
Hopefully an okay place to ask- I'm looking for the origin of a quote. Paraphrased, it goes something like, "Everyone learns how to write in grammar school; fortunately, most go on to develop some useful skill." Any ideas?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I'm reading Faulkner for the first time, Sound and the Fury, and man it's a doozy. Benjy's section felt like the narrator kept throwing me puzzle pieces to put a story together, but the board kept changing while trying to fit the pieces in. I'm now on Quentin's section which is like delving into the mind of a highly disturbed individual with moments of clear lucidity. I'm guessing a re-read once I'm finished is going to clear some things up.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I'm almost finished Pillars of the Earth and Ken Follet's sad sack early medieval England is really wearing me down. Someone please tell me it ends on a happy note.

Also, is the "sequel" worth reading?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

SpaceMost posted:

I'm almost finished Pillars of the Earth and Ken Follet's sad sack early medieval England is really wearing me down. Someone please tell me it ends on a happy note.

Also, is the "sequel" worth reading?

I read it on a friend's recommendation 2-3 years back, and the only thing to stick in my mind is the cartoonishly evil rapist nobleman. I don't even remember how it ends, but probably everything gets tied up neat in the end since it's pretty airport-fiction-y.

ghableska
Jul 9, 2008
I just finished The Crow Road by Iain Banks and really enjoyed it. Though I didn't care for the direction it went in its final chapters, Banks' dark humor and characterization kept me hooked. If I liked that, are there any books (by him or another author) that I might like?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is there any trick to getting Goodreads to generate recommendations? It's been sitting there for over 24 hours telling me it'll "take a minute."

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Fallom posted:

Is there any trick to getting Goodreads to generate recommendations? It's been sitting there for over 24 hours telling me it'll "take a minute."
Do you have a lot of read/rated books?
It can't recommend off of nothing.

Try logging off and on.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Do you have a lot of read/rated books?
It can't recommend off of nothing.

Try logging off and on.

Yes, I have 150 rated books and I've logged off and on again several times.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Looks like it's site troubles.

https://twitter.com/goodreads

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013
I just started reading Catch-22, and I'm about 150 pages in. I'm having a lot of trouble with the scene changes, and the dialogue. And I'm considering dropping this, but I was told by some friends that it gets better in the second half. Should I continue reading, I'm sort of enjoying it but I'm getting tired of consistently rereading the conversations.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Divine Blob posted:

I just started reading Catch-22, and I'm about 150 pages in. I'm having a lot of trouble with the scene changes, and the dialogue. And I'm considering dropping this, but I was told by some friends that it gets better in the second half. Should I continue reading, I'm sort of enjoying it but I'm getting tired of consistently rereading the conversations.

It's definitely not an easy read. I'm almost finished and it's still annoying and/or confusing at times, but I believe it's worth the effort. The odd style pays dividends later on with some gripping scenes where humor and drama blend effortlessly.

Keep in mind English is not my first language, so YMMV and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Divine Blob posted:

Definitely keep it up. Catch-22 became my favorite novel when I finished it even though it took me a while to get used to the style, too. At some point things just clicked. My advice would be not to worry too much about picking up every single piece of dialog and scene change, the payoff ends up being more about the general ideas and odd repetition.