Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
that whole "assume the reader knows the rules of the programming language" guideline is meant to avoid useless COMMENTS, not dictate how you actually write the CODE

i mean you should know better than to abuse automatic compiler behaviors to write something that's deliberately tricky to follow, just because "hey c++ allows it heheheheheh"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Mr Dog posted:

it's ok guys, regexes are now a thing in every real programming language, you can stop using perl now.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it's only in the past year that i've started running into this meme that c++ is an outrageously difficult language

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

it's only in the past year that i've started running into this meme that c++ is an outrageously difficult language

well, it is compared to p languages

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
C++ is an excellent tool for turning imaginary problems into real ones

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

disclaimer: i'm a dumb idiot

that said, seems to me that the biggest problem with c++ is that everybody just writes c in it

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
like scott meyers says, c++ is a "federation" of four languages: c, the oop c-with-classes poo poo, template c++, and the stl

these four all have their own conventions and interact badly. whenever you run into some stupid gotcha in c++, that tends to be the reason (otherwise it's manual memory management)

edit: boost probably qualifies as a fifth

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i mean you should know better than to abuse automatic compiler behaviors to write something that's deliberately tricky to follow, just because "hey c++ allows it heheheheheh"
do you wanna give just one concrete example

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i mean christ, this is not like the p languages where there is just one holy reference implementation, this is a language with a written standard

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

on the way back from a couple hours long interview. i think it went ok but it'll just depend on if the other people interviewed are more retarded then i am. i'm kinda bad at data structures, which was most of what was discussed, but i want to think that i was questioned on that sort of stuff to see how quickly i could get used to talking about it.

on the upside, my transit was covered (short of the few dollars i spent to move my ride back up til now) so it's not much of a loss

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Gazpacho posted:

do you wanna give just one concrete example

i'm saying that the guideline "if the language allows it, you're good bro" is not a good one... i could overload all the operators to do completely different things than their agreed-upon meanings, name all my functions and variables with one letter, etc... "it's valid c++ heheheh" is not a good excuse for this

if you want an actual example of some c++ i think is awful then my favorite one is: http://llvm.org/viewvc/llvm-project/llvm/trunk/include/llvm/Support/Casting.h?view=markup

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i'm saying that the guideline "if the language allows it, you're good bro" is not a good one... i could overload all the operators to do completely different things than their agreed-upon meanings, name all my functions and variables with one letter, etc... "it's valid c++ heheheh" is not a good excuse for this
wow you're t. clueless

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Gazpacho posted:

wow you're t. clueless

:thumbsup:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

wow you're t. clueless

:eyepop:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

what could the t stand for

will we ever know

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed dev c++

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

biggest thing i've learned about c++ since school is that just because you took a data structures class that used c++ doesn't mean you actually know anything about c++

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.
http://yosefk.com/c++fqa/defective.html

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Werthog 95 posted:

biggest thing i've learned about c++ since school is that just because you took a data structures class that used c++ doesn't mean you actually know anything about c++

So true

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
kinda makes u wonder how all those windows apps ever got written huh

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
kinda makes you wonder how everyone stampeded to write applications using loving HTML of all things as soon as that became a practical option

Now everyone's stampeding to write apps for iOS

Probably because it makes money but more than likely because it provides you with a non-horrific GUI toolkit and system services in general and oh my god am I having a crazy sense of deja vu saying this about iOS right now

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

did anyone post this

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/26/4032180/will-i-am-mark-zuckerberg-and-others-tell-kids-to-learn-code

i know i'm bad but let's get even more bad coders. gotta fill those jobs. it can be the new secretarial work.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_53_0/boost/preprocessor/seq/fold_left.hpp

Bream
Feb 3, 2013

Farmer's Barket

gucci void main posted:

did anyone post this

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/26/4032180/will-i-am-mark-zuckerberg-and-others-tell-kids-to-learn-code

i know i'm bad but let's get even more bad coders. gotta fill those jobs. it can be the new secretarial work.

There are separate tags for 'coding' and 'programming'. I do not understand.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Werthog 95 posted:

Biggest thing I remember from data structures with C++ at school is that people spent way more time fighting C++ than they spent time fighting (or actually learning) data structures.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mr Dog posted:

Now everyone's stampeding to write apps for iOS

apps on routers? color me intrigued

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

prefect posted:

apps on routers? color me intrigued
500 million subnet calculators

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

gucci void main posted:

did anyone post this

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

moves like shaggar

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Gazpacho posted:

kinda makes u wonder how all those windows apps ever got written huh

drag-and-drop spyware activex controls

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

celebrities like Will.i.am

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

gucci void main posted:

moves like shaggar

step into my thread and ill troll you

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

JewKiller 3000 posted:

that whole "assume the reader knows the rules of the programming language" guideline is meant to avoid useless COMMENTS, not dictate how you actually write the CODE

sometimes i write comments for obvious code just so all the steps of the task have consistent green headers for when i'm glancing through

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

what the

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

i don't hate c++ but its edge cases have edge cases

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
cmon post another C++ HORROR that has nothing to do with my original comment you p-losers

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

so what exactly does this poo poo mean then

Gazpacho posted:

for c++ i have the opposite rule, assume that the reader understands the language and don't type out what the compiler does automatically

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
don't type out member var initializations that would be inserted

don't pull temporary objects out of line just to make it clearer when they are destroyed

really, "don't type out what the compiler does automatically" is amazingly unambiguous

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Gazpacho posted:

I'd rather write assembly than C++

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

don't type out member var initializations that would be inserted

don't pull temporary objects out of line just to make it clearer when they are destroyed

really, "don't type out what the compiler does automatically" is amazingly unambiguous

people don't type that poo poo out to be explicit about it, they type it out because they don't realize that c++ will do it for them