Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

That bad signal will destroy any battery you use for the phone. It will also destroy any other phone you'll get ahold of, though slightly slower due to the way the S2's Exynos chipset handles sleepmode (pretty badly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I have sick quote is not edit skills, my apologies.

Manky fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Feb 25, 2013

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
E: on second thought, that's better for the tablet thread.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Something is causing a wakelock (i.e. keeping your CPU working even when the screen is off), which is why the "Awake" bar has a bunch of blue lines all over it.

Are you running any "task manager" or "battery saver" apps? Uninstall them, they are junk.

Install BetterBatteryStats and check the Partial Wakelock and Kernel Wakelock screens to find out what is causing it.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've only got the default Task Manager app, but I use Advanced Task Killer to stop running things.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Montalvo posted:

I've only got the default Task Manager app, but I use Advanced Task Killer to stop running things.
Read this and then uninstall it. You don't need to manually kill apps, Android manages that for you.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Thanks for all the information so far, everyone. The impression I'm getting from this BetterBatteryStats app is that Google Maps' Latitude is really draining quite a bit of battery.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Montalvo posted:

Thanks for all the information so far, everyone. The impression I'm getting from this BetterBatteryStats app is that Google Maps' Latitude is really draining quite a bit of battery.

You might want to check to see what rom is running on the phone (or update it if its not rooted) and update. The Google latitude battery drain issue was from 2011 and I'm fairly sure its been fixed since then.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tornhelm posted:

You might want to check to see what rom is running on the phone (or update it if its not rooted) and update. The Google latitude battery drain issue was from 2011 and I'm fairly sure its been fixed since then.

Phone isn't rooted and the Android version on it is the most up to date, so maybe that isn't it?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Montalvo posted:

Phone isn't rooted and the Android version on it is the most up to date, so maybe that isn't it?

Make sure you have the latest version of Maps from the Play Store.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yep, definitely up to date. (And sorry for being a bit slow to catch on! :shobon: )

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I manually added "gently caress" (and other words) to the Swype dictionary a long, long time ago. But whenever I enter "gently caress" it comes through "Duck", and "gently caress" is nowhere in the list of alternate words. I am being very certain that I am starting with "F" when I swipe.

Is there a way to get Swype to actually accept cusswords on entry?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Is there some way to disable regular voicemail, or at least clear the notification on Jellybean? T-Mobile prepaid doesn't let you force voicemail coming to your actual number (which, in my case, is all garbage) to Google Voice.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

fivre posted:

Is there some way to disable regular voicemail, or at least clear the notification on Jellybean? T-Mobile prepaid doesn't let you force voicemail coming to your actual number (which, in my case, is all garbage) to Google Voice.

Check your T-Mobile voice mail so it clears the notification then call up T-Mobile and ask them to turn off your voice mail. You'll have to prod them a bit to do it but they will.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

fivre posted:

I called T-Mobile and was able to get them to disable voicemail. I'm on the $30 prepaid plan.

e: It makes you set up your voicemail before you can check it which is pretty :argh:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I have spent about a week trying to use and like Swiftkey Flow but it's just not as good as Swype Beta 1.4 at getting the drat words right. Next-word prediction doesn't matter when you're predicting based on wildly inaccurate gesture recognition. Anyone else feel this way or are there any tips on getting it to just get the drat words correct?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

me your dad posted:

I manually added "gently caress" (and other words) to the Swype dictionary a long, long time ago. But whenever I enter "gently caress" it comes through "Duck", and "gently caress" is nowhere in the list of alternate words. I am being very certain that I am starting with "F" when I swipe.

Is there a way to get Swype to actually accept cusswords on entry?
Make sure you're on the latest Swype. Two versions ago there was a bug that cause user dicitonaries to be ignored and eventually deleted. The latest version is 1.4.5.12537. Everything works ducking fine on the current version.

Syrinxx posted:

I have spent about a week trying to use and like Swiftkey Flow but it's just not as good as Swype Beta 1.4 at getting the drat words right. Next-word prediction doesn't matter when you're predicting based on wildly inaccurate gesture recognition. Anyone else feel this way or are there any tips on getting it to just get the drat words correct?
I agree with you. SwiftKey Flow isn't as good as the stock 4.2 keyboard at recognizing gestures, much less in same league as Swype. It didn't help that midway through the beta for SwiftKey Flow that Swype fixed the two horrible outstanding issues (nospacesinthebrower and the custom dictionary problem mentioned above) that were pissing me off about it.

What made it worse was that on their VIP forums for the beta it was pretty much wall to wall about how next word prediction isn't important except to hone word choices for swiped words and they need to improve that first and the official response wasn't much more than, "but but our gimmick~!"

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

hotsauce posted:

Keep trying. It took ~30 tries last night then bam, it worked. I released the token (kraken?) from my Note 2, then tried. Didn't work (I suspect it's not instant because you can reverse the release on Twitter). Just kept trying and it finally worked. Once you have the token, you're good. Just takes some time to find one that opened up.

Just tried again and I was able to grab a token. Thanks to the anonymous guy/gal that took the time to deauthorize the app in their account.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Siroc posted:

Why has Llama disabled all my ringtone and notification tones? I unchecked those boxes in each profile, yet I continue to get no sounds. Anyone have advice?

baka kaba posted:

Try making sure your ringtones etc are set to an actual ringtone now, and not a llamatone

kirbysuperstar posted:

I had this issue for a bit - not with Llama, but something CM10.1 was doing. There's a hidden "system" sound level that was set to 0. I changed it with Android Assistant.

I tried both of these to try and fix Llama disabling all my ringtone and notification tones. Anyone have any other ideas?

Siroc fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 25, 2013

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Okay, so I gathered up some stats over the last few hours and here is how dire the situation is -

So despite being on the newest version of Android I can get on this phone and Google Maps, it seems to be the culprit.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, even though I don't use it anymore, since I really enjoy SwiftKey Flow (maybe the only person), but Keyboard Manager just updated and can now switch between keyboard on a per app basis. Pretty cool, if you ask me. I don't know exactly what I would use it for, but I know I loved the poo poo out of having separate keyboards based on layout. But, SwiftKey is just SO drat enjoyable to use and Flow handles swipe based input just well enough for me.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

LastInLine posted:

Make sure you're on the latest Swype. Two versions ago there was a bug that cause user dicitonaries to be ignored and eventually deleted. The latest version is 1.4.5.12537. Everything works ducking fine on the current version.
I agree with you. SwiftKey Flow isn't as good as the stock 4.2 keyboard at recognizing gestures, much less in same league as Swype. It didn't help that midway through the beta for SwiftKey Flow that Swype fixed the two horrible outstanding issues (nospacesinthebrower and the custom dictionary problem mentioned above) that were pissing me off about it.

What made it worse was that on their VIP forums for the beta it was pretty much wall to wall about how next word prediction isn't important except to hone word choices for swiped words and they need to improve that first and the official response wasn't much more than, "but but our gimmick~!"

Thanks for this. These problems were starting to really bug me too, I didn't realize there was an update available, I wish they would just run this through the Play store like any other app.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Montalvo posted:

Okay, so I gathered up some stats over the last few hours and here is how dire the situation is -

So despite being on the newest version of Android I can get on this phone and Google Maps, it seems to be the culprit.

What's the actual specific Android version you have? Vodafone might be failing to push you an update for their release of the phone.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
It's 4.0.3, which I know isn't the newest... But tapping software update in settings doesn't update anything.

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 26, 2013

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Montalvo posted:

It's 4.0.3, which I know isn't the newest...

That should be good enough, though. I think he just wanted to make sure you weren't stuck on some super old 2.3 version software.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
This might be asking for too much, but is there an app/email client that can assign specific notification sounds to specific senders, ie. Boss@work.com gets the imperial March and girlfriend@gmail.com gets Barry white? It seems far fetched but at the same time I don't see why it can't be done.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

The Gmail app has specific notifications for different labels, it's under settings>your email>manage labels.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Montalvo posted:

So I bought this Galaxy S2 second hand and it's in pretty good condition but the battery life seems so shockingly short to me (this is my first smartphone). I keep the brightness at the lowest level and have wi-fi and sync turned off, and I make sure to kill all my unused apps but even then it dies after about 6-8 hours. Is this normal? Should I be doing something else? Should I buy a new battery?

I seem to remember that from stock, picasa was trying to sync constantly and annihilating my battery. Find betterbatterystats and see what's keeping the phone awake while you're not using it first, then see about a replacement battery.

Also, absolutely make sure that the replacement is newer than your phone and hasn't been sitting on a shelf for a year. Li-ion batteries slowly lose total capacity over time, even just sitting on a shelf. No memory effect, but there's that, instead.

ed: there's been an update to Gmaps come through in the last day or so. Make sure you're up to date, restart your phone before you charge it, and see what happens.

eded: wait, if this is Voda UK, just use Kies to check for updates, mine's on 4.0.4. You'll want it installed anyhow, because there's a big update (4.1 or 4.2, can't remember which) in the pipe.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 26, 2013

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Gozinbulx posted:

This might be asking for too much, but is there an app/email client that can assign specific notification sounds to specific senders, ie. Boss@work.com gets the imperial March and girlfriend@gmail.com gets Barry white? It seems far fetched but at the same time I don't see why it can't be done.

Can't you set that up through your default contacts app? I can do that on my GS3.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I'm running CM7 if that means anything. As far as I know theres no way to set that but i'll check.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm not the only one noticing lag when typing on the official Twitter app right? I'm not going crazy here?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Skeezy posted:

I'm not the only one noticing lag when typing on the official Twitter app right? I'm not going crazy here?

What're you talking about? The Twitter app is just as good as Falcon Pro. :v: Maybe you're typing wrong.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...se-token-limit/

In all seriousness though, Twitter has declined the request that the Falcon Pro dev had to give more tokens. Their reasoning is that Falcon Pro doesn't include anything the official Twitter app doesn't have.

Essentially, not only is Twitter trying to say that their app is just as good as Falcon Pro, they're also trying to take down all 3rd party Twitter app developers by forcing them to stop developing.

This poo poo is infuriating. Mostly because no one seems to notice or care until their app gets inevitably hit.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
Did Facebook remove the function to set a contact picture from the fb app?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

az jan jananam posted:

Yes, long ago as part of the G+/FB slapfight. I use this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ro.weednet.contactssync

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
So it seems Google Play Services service has been used to stealth install a new app called Google Settings.

no notification and it doesn't show in "My Apps" on Play Store.

bit annoyed that they just installed it - not even as part of a Google app update. It just appeared.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

WastedJoker posted:

So it seems Google Play Services service has been used to stealth install a new app called Google Settings.

bit annoyed that they just installed it - not even as part of a Google app update. It just appeared.
The Play Services stuff lets Google add new features/frameworks for apps to use, without having to wait for your carrier to roll out an OTA. I guess I just don't see what the big deal is.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

WastedJoker posted:

If it makes you feel any better the Google Settings "app" is actually just Google Play Services itself, nothing additional was installed. The crux of it is that an Android app can represent itself with as many launcher icons as it sees fit, which can mean multiple (e.g. Local, Navigation, Maps are the same app) or none at all.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

az jan jananam posted:

Yeah - check out Haxsync for 4.0+ devices. It is pretty slick and unobtrusive.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

This poo poo is infuriating. Mostly because no one seems to notice or care until their app gets inevitably hit.
Twitter has explicitly said that third party developers can go gently caress themselves. If they want to continue developing an app with a hard user limit, it's on them.

WastedJoker posted:

It's mainly to manage their new G+ sign in thing they're rolling out today although I'm not sure I appreciate the difference between it and their old sign-in with your standard Google account. I'm also kind of annoyed that apps that use your Google sign-in for their token don't appear within it which would've been nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'd be alright with the token limit on devs if the official app was up to the standard most of the 3rd party ones are at.

One thing I find funny is that people are saying how killing 3rd parties is going to kill Twitter. It's not cool that they are doing this to devs and stuff but I'm sure Twitter will be just fine if they kill all 3rd parties.

• Locked thread