Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

MrBims posted:

Why was Jake so blatantly set up to have brain damage if it was just going to probably go away with godtiering?

Was he really set up to have brain damage? I thought it was just that he was on the autism spectrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

team overhead smash posted:

Isn't this just a random fan theory that is also explained by jake is a derp/realised what a derp he was when a friend exploded at him and thus went through some character development?

While Jake was talking to Caliborn, Jake did imply he thought he might be brain damaged too. So far, nothing's really come of it and I kinda doubt that was anything other than him trying to rationalize the fact that he's just not particularly attentive and is frequently completely oblivious to what's going on around him.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

MrBims posted:

No one has been a louder supporter of the archival experience here than me, but these past two months have really disappointed me in a way that hasn't happened before. It feels like a lot of things are happening only to backtrack where Hussie may have written himself into a corner. Why did anything with Roxy on Derse happen if it didn't change anything because she was just going to get Trickstered and end up on the bed anyway?
Well, we still don't know the details of what happened there. Its relevance to the rest of the story has yet to be conclusively determined because it has yet to be conclusively seen. You address the key point here yourself in a later question (HIC's offer to Roxy, which the latter deemed impossible for reasons as yet unknown).

quote:

Why was Jake so blatantly set up to have brain damage if it was just going to probably go away with godtiering?
I'm reasonably certain that was just Caliborn's backhanded taunting of Jake, much like how he called Jane fat in his roundabout way of dressing it up like a compliment.

quote:

Why did Hussie ever try to make dramatic tension of whether him being godtiered would even work with his dreamself's early death?
He didn't. We, the overanalysing fandom did. At no point in the story was it ever hinted that Jake's god tiering wouldn't take, all of that was just fan-posturing in the midst of everyone repeatedly forgetting how god tiering works. (doesn't he need a dreamself? Won't he be transported to the battlefield? etc. etc.)

quote:

Why did we have that thing with HIC's book to Roxy?
See above.

quote:

Why did we end up having two characters mindcontrolled by a badguy yet a-loving-gain when we just then got done with the Trickster stuff? It may be consistent with prior events for it to potentially happen, but how is it tense or dramatic for this card to be played for probably the tenth time?
Not quite. Jane and Jade's mind-control marks the first time a hero has been mind-controlled by a villain into actively working against the other heroes. (I'm excepting Vriska's psychic double reacharound on Tavros/Pyralspite/Terezi because it happened before the story began and Vriska is still considered a hero) Trickster-mode was something else entirely. Rose going Grimdark also represented something different.

That all being said, I agree that attempting to wrap all of this up too quickly will have disastrous results. Realistically, I don't see this thing ending in a satisfactory manner until very late this year, if not next year. There are far too many loose ends at this point, including a lot of as-yet-unresolved issues from much earlier in the story (eg. the function, purpose, and execution of the denizens, the final fate of the Universal Tadpole last seen toppling into an active volcano, etc.). Homestuck has, for a considerable amount of time now, been an exercise in a story's reach exceeding its grasp. It's unlikely that Hussie doesn't realize this, the question is if he's capable of reining it all in in a way that doesn't grossly betray even the most basic expectations. The weakest link in Hussie's writing has always been his ability to pace a story well (how many months did we spend making GBS threads around John's house with queue/stack sylladices?), so I expect we've still got a long way before this thing's ending.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

While Jake was talking to Caliborn, Jake did imply he thought he might be brain damaged too. So far, nothing's really come of it and I kinda doubt that was anything other than him trying to rationalize the fact that he's just not particularly attentive and is frequently completely oblivious to what's going on around him.

Rationalize, or explain?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Tavros really seems to have regressed, since once upon a time when he heard Vriska was doing something evil (even if it was "necessary") he confronted her about it even though he knew trying to fight her was hopeless. Now here she is doing something probably quite a lot worse and his reaction is to mutter passive-aggressive jabs about it. There's probably plenty of Tavroses in Vriska's "army" already, and with her current attitude it wouldn't be surprising for her to add this Tavros to them if he complained.

There's a thought - as things currently stand, Vriska has absolute power in the group on her boat since she's deciding which of her friends to mind-control to their deaths or not. If she didn't like this Tavros she could throw him away and fish out a beta-timeline Tavros she likes better.

At this point, those ghosts that remain in paradox space probably speak in hushed, horrified whispers about Vriska as much as they do about Lord English, since the arrival of either basically means their death.

Edit: I also want to point to a likely false equivalency where people are saying vriska has to sacrifice these ghosts or else they'll all die - do you remember when Terezi suddenly became consumed with doubt because she'd only seen paths where she kills Vriska or lets her go? What about Rose pointing out to Dave that him using predestination to excuse his behaviour isn't sufficient? The story has touched on the idea that characters see the solutions they want to see, and there might have been another way to defeat Lord English that doesn't require this mass sacrifice, but Vriska seized on it because killing people to solve problems is her modus operandi.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 26, 2013

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Vriska is Lord English.

In amidst Jack being Lord English, Caliborn being Lord English, and Doc Scratch being Lord English.

Peak Vriskachat right here folks

(not a dig at you, Dolash. I'm lovin' it ba da ba ba bah)

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Dolash posted:

There's a thought - as things currently stand, Vriska has absolute power in the group on her boat since she's deciding which of her friends to mind-control to their deaths or not. If she didn't like this Tavros she could throw him away and fish out a beta-timeline Tavros she likes better.
I don't know that she would. Even when Sollux is arguing that the betas are "real" he basically admits the current crew is originals and they're copies. Vriska already killed the original Tavros once, and had at least some regrets about it. I think she sees the betas as totally expendable duplicates, but probably wouldn't send the real things to their double-death.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

You're in a desert, walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down and you see a tortoise. It's crawling towards you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over but it can't, not without your help, but you're not helping. Instead you shoot it with a machine gun.

It's too bad she'll get double-killed! But then again, who doesn't?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Well considering the majority of the Trolls are cover-page pictures for the Deliberately Failed Character Development magazine Spring Collection, I'm not too surprised by this. Not only did they miss the point of the game and learn nothing from their experience playing, now the majority of them are dead so they can't develop any more and, in Tavros' and Vriska's case, regress. Out of the ones who are alive, Karkat has developed significantly, we've not heard much from Kanaya, Aradia and Sollux are just kind of there at the moment, and Gamzee is actively aiding Caliborn.

I guess what I'm saying is that "Trolls be whack, yo."

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

TVs Ian posted:

I don't know that she would. Even when Sollux is arguing that the betas are "real" he basically admits the current crew is originals and they're copies. Vriska already killed the original Tavros once, and had at least some regrets about it. I think she sees the betas as totally expendable duplicates, but probably wouldn't send the real things to their double-death.
Well now we need to get into an existential argument about "real" and "not real", or "alpha" and "not alpha". Was the Felt Dave who got his neck cut by Bec Noir any more real than the Alpha Dave who didn't kill him on the quest bed? They started at the same point, the only difference was the path they took based on Terezi's directing. That Felt Dave had the same line of thinking as the Alpha Dave, he just got killed for Terezi to prove a point.

(Actually lets not get into an existential argument, those never go well).

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Sounds like you're taking a position against the existence of existential arguments. That's like double existential.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Jewel Repetition posted:

Was he really set up to have brain damage? I thought it was just that he was on the autism spectrum.

Was he really on the autism spectrum? I thought he was just raised alone on an island with no human contact for the majority of his life.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The beta selves aren't less-real copies, that is patently silly after a moment's examination. The only difference between them is that one chose left and the other chose right, then whatever (usually limited) development they may have had between that fateful decision and the time of their inevitable demise. In many cases it's not even that: the Beta Vriska who fought Jack Noir, for instance, was that way because of the decision of Beta Terezi, and was qualitatively no different from regular Vriska.

Terezi's decision in that timeline also created a soon-to-be-dead Beta Gamzee, Beta Karkat, Beta Kanaya, etc, much as in Davesprite's timeline there was a Beta Jade who got killed by meteors but otherwise did nothing different from Alpha Jade. For every time the A2 session hosed up and Aradia had to go back and abandon the branch, there are twelve beta trolls, many of whom did exactly the same things and were exactly the same people they would have done and been otherwise.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 26, 2013

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

Was he really on the autism spectrum? I thought he was just raised alone on an island with no human contact for the majority of his life.

... but autism isn't the result of isolation.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

TVs Ian posted:

I might agree if not for how she treated beta-John. MrBims has it right that when she wanted beta-selves to be real, they were, and now that she needs them not to be they aren't. The existence of Davesprite as a character and his whole arc, up to and including the scene we just had of him talking to a sleeping John, has emphasized that beta-selves are fully-realized people and at best Vriska's lying to herself. At worst she doesn't care at all and just about every Vriska scene that suggested she might be growing has gone to waste.

I'd enjoy it if for some reason Vriska decided to add the alpha version of some character into her army of souls when they start to run low (why not Nepeta or Feferi, they're freshly returned from the land of the living) and it sparked off a terse argument about what criteria they're using for mind-controlling people into oblivion.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Android Blues posted:

The beta selves aren't less-real copies, that is patently silly after a moment's examination. The only difference between them is that one chose left and the other chose right, then whatever (usually limited) development they may have had between that fateful decision and the time of their inevitable demise. In many cases it's not even that: the Beta Vriska who fought Jack Noir, for instance, was that way because of the decision of Beta Terezi, and was qualitatively no different from regular Vriska.

Terezi's decision in that timeline also created a soon-to-be-dead Beta Gamzee, Beta Karkat, Beta Kanaya, etc, much as in Davesprite's timeline there was a Beta Jade who got killed by meteors but otherwise did nothing different from Alpha Jade. For every time the A2 session hosed up and Aradia had to go back and abandon the branch, there are twelve beta trolls, many of whom did exactly the same things and were exactly the same people they would have done and been otherwise.

They're not less real, but aren't they explicitly stated as less important? I remember there being a whole thing about how every beta timeline is supposed to, in some way, feed back into the prime timeline and propagate it.

This sort of goes back to the whole cruelty-of-causality thing-- the grand machinations of fate are essentially throwing people out there whose ultimate point in existing is to serve as fodder at worst, or a means to an end at best, in order to continue to keep the alpha timeline intact. The metaphysical underpinnings of the entire universe, not to mention Skaia itself, seems to operate on a very rigid utilitarian system.

Kant would hate Homestuck.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Who cares about whether or not Jake has/had mental problems? People speculating about fictional characters having mental illnesses, in my experience, never pans out.

What does giving Jake a mental disorder explain about him anyway? He's been raised by his grandma and then himself on an island full of hostile monsters with nothing but his online friends and movies as examples of human interaction, no wonder he's socially stunted.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

People hate Jake English so much they're trying to explain his existence as a way to cope with it.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Cabbit posted:

They're not less real, but aren't they explicitly stated as less important? I remember there being a whole thing about how every beta timeline is supposed to, in some way, feed back into the prime timeline and propagate it.

This sort of goes back to the whole cruelty-of-causality thing-- the grand machinations of fate are essentially throwing people out there whose ultimate point in existing is to serve as fodder at worst, or a means to an end at best, in order to continue to keep the alpha timeline intact. The metaphysical underpinnings of the entire universe, not to mention Skaia itself, seems to operate on a very rigid utilitarian system.

Kant would hate Homestuck.

Well, that doesn't really have any implication for their agency/selfhood, is the thing. All it means is that the metaverse (whatever THAT is) cares about their contribution less, and given causality and such are guided and controlled by Lord English, that's not exactly a statement on the merit of their existence so much as it's a statement on the expedience of their existence to an evil demon getting what he wants. Alpha Eridan is more important in that metric than the Eridan who got in touch with his feelings and rebuilt his friendship with Feferi peacefully, but I know which one I'd consider more deserving of a short jump into a big rainbow, you know?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
What if something happened between Beta John and Vriska that halted Vriska's slide towards good-aligned, and made her start seeing all Betas as expendable and not real?

John is the TRUE villain of homestucks.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

What has John even done that was all that Heroic, anyways, besides put out a few fires on LOWAS? :colbert:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dolash posted:

At worst she doesn't care at all and just about every Vriska scene that suggested she might be growing has gone to waste.

I agree with most of the rest of what you're saying, but to me it's pretty obvious that Vriska never did change or was meant to change. Like I said before, she never actually did anything different along her entire time she was alive; besides talking to John about how she wasn't actually a bad person, her entire, well, everything was being a cruel, self-absorbed person. Heck, even that actually fits into it, really, since she was justifying her behavior before their session ended and she met the kids. Her entire thing is that she acts the way she does, no matter what the situation. Even when Terezi told her that her actions would kill all her friends, she was going to do it anyway. Not once has she made a decision for the sake of someone else. Her character development has been false, and from my perspective it looks like the point. She's the logical extreme of those characters who do evil things but are totally good, really, even though they never actually stop doing those things so you only have their word (and usually the author's because they love this character) that they're not basically a villain on the protagonist's side/as the protagonist, and Hussie's just playing it to such an extreme while trying to simultaneously keep everyone taking her seriously, either in hating her for being evil or defending her and taking her bullshit justifications seriously.

Or, in simpler terms, I think Vriska's a huge joke Hussie's playing on the fanbase, and everyone here (myself included at one point) fell for it. This may not be accurate, but it vastly increases my enjoyment of watching all this.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Android Blues posted:

Well, that doesn't really have any implication for their agency/selfhood, is the thing. All it means is that the metaverse (whatever THAT is) cares about their contribution less, and given causality and such are guided and controlled by Lord English, that's not exactly a statement on the merit of their existence so much as it's a statement on the expedience of their existence to an evil demon getting what he wants. Alpha Eridan is more important in that metric than the Eridan who got in touch with his feelings and rebuilt his friendship with Feferi peacefully, but I know which one I'd consider more deserving of a short jump into a big rainbow, you know?

Since a Hope hero has supposedly been prophesied to be the one who destroys Lord English, I'm betting it's no coincidence that all the Hope heroes in the timeline that is slave to Lord English are various degrees of failure.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

Or, in simpler terms, I think Vriska's a huge joke Hussie's playing on the fanbase, and everyone here (myself included at one point) fell for it. This may not be accurate, but it vastly increases my enjoyment of watching all this.
Might you say that hussie is...

trolling us

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, I get that, though I'd think that if existence/whatever cares less about their contribution then it's implicitly dismissing their agency as well.

An Eridan who reconciled with Feferi is probably a much better person and deserves better, but similarly there were probably a lot of really great, kind people on Earth who nevertheless got annihilated by a ton of meteors by Skaia. They didn't deserve that, either, but so it goes-- either the planet gets wiped out, or the Reckoning completely obliterates Skaia and everyone loses.

Homestuck's rife with this sort of thing! It's not supposed to make you feel better, nor is it supposed to be morally agreeable if you're not on-board with utilitarianism, I think. The amoral, utilitarian nature of Skaia and SBurb seems like it's supposed to be a sticking point.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 27, 2013

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Roland Jones posted:

Simply put, Vriska is and always has been a psychopath. A clever and entertaining one, but a psycopath nonetheless. She never really grasped the concept of empathy because it was beyond her capacity to do so. The current situation is no surprise at all in that light.

Maybe John will have some sort of epiphany and dress her down over it ("Hey! Davesprite is from a beta timeline and he's kind of a jerk but he wouldn't deserve this"), but we'll see.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Sociopath is probably more accurate than psychopath. Environmental factors are definitely a contributor, if Kindfang's any indicator.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Makaris posted:

So, uh, where are all the beta Vriska's and beta Meenah's? I looked closely at the mini-strife and while there were a few beta Arenea's there wasn't either of the aforementioned characters in sight. What would they think about being sacrificed? Why didn't Meenah think of contacting more of herselves for her army, except for maybe that genetic need to kill her kin?

Vriska, Meenah, and Aranea have overlooked alternate versions of themselves and their friends in favor of people who they didn't know very well and people who annoyed them. You may notice that there are no Karkats, Terezis, or Equiuses on that boat. They have rationalized this by convincing themselves that these people were universally stubborn and self absorbed. As an additional rationalization they have convinced themselves that these alternate versions are less important, or else, less real than their alpha counterparts. They're not people, they're ghosts. Disposable.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Ariong posted:

Vriska, Meenah, and Aranea have overlooked alternate versions of themselves and their friends in favor of people who they didn't know very well and people who annoyed them. You may notice that there are no Karkats, Terezis, or Equiuses on that boat. They have rationalized this by convincing themselves that these people were universally stubborn and self absorbed. As an additional rationalization they have convinced themselves that these alternate versions are less important, or else, less real than their alpha counterparts. They're not people, they're ghosts. Disposable.

Four is a tragedy.

Four billion is a number.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Ever see that Jet Li movie 'The One'?

Gotta get rid of all your alternate universe selves, only then do you get ultimate power.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ariong posted:

The word "rationalization" is really starting to annoy me.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Unrelated, but I made your avatar from the picture in the PYF Funny Picture threads. I noticed it kept popping up, and that's because I also see it here.

Did you ask for the Guy Fieri logo because of it's also something mentioned in Homestuck?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Ariong posted:

Well there could be! It isn't like we saw everyone who was on the boats, we just saw some of them. Most of them being the A1 trolls, who were already designed as fanservice characters to pander to the fanbase and not be anything but one note jokes in the long run (Aranea and Meenah excluded naturally). Eridan is also there and he's likely one of the most hated characters in both comic and fandom. I wouldn't be all too surprised if we saw the likes of Porrim, Kanaya, Terezi, Karkat, Damara, Rufioh, Dave, Jade and so on and so on, but that would take way too long to show given the supposed number of ghosts. Lets not forget all those billion Nepetas (I'll stop with the Nepeta jokes now, they're getting worn out). Though I do agree that they probably skipped their own alternate versions, except maybe Tavros.

Actually I think a good way to show a sensible John reaction is if there was a John ghost on one of the ships, but that probably won't be happening.

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

So I've been reading over some of the archive, and there's something that's been kind of bothering me. How did any of the other characters figure out what the (supposed) motive is behind Lord English's actions? Did Aranea ever mention where she's getting all this information from?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

No.44 posted:

So I've been reading over some of the archive, and there's something that's been kind of bothering me. How did any of the other characters figure out what the (supposed) motive is behind Lord English's actions? Did Aranea ever mention where she's getting all this information from?
Probably where she gets all her information from. Being billions of years old and wandering around dream bubbles collecting information. She also knew about Doc Scratch and everything he did to Alternia in the same way. She's the equivalent of an in-comic exposition dumper because of that. She also knows Lord English's real name, according to the Meenahbound flashes. The only thing she explicitly said before that she doesn't know is Calliope's name.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I've been rereading from the beginning and I've just got to the end of Act 4. Nothing will reach the levels of awesomeness [S] John: Reunite with your loving wife and daughter reached. :colbert: (Although Ascend more casually and all the other EOA flashes come close.)

Also, this panel is one of the best Hussie's ever done:

The mail is delivered. An obligation, satisfied.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 27, 2013

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

lotus circle posted:

Probably where she gets all her information from. Being billions of years old and wandering around dream bubbles collecting information. She also knew about Doc Scratch and everything he did to Alternia in the same way. She's the equivalent of an in-comic exposition dumper because of that. She also knows Lord English's real name, according to the Meenahbound flashes. The only thing she explicitly said before that she doesn't know is Calliope's name.

Vriska's the powergamer, Aranea is the gamer who geeks out obsessively over lore.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

SoupyTwist posted:

Vriska's the powergamer, Aranea is the gamer who geeks out obsessively over lore.

Put the two together, and you get one of two things: A pair constantly on the verge of ripping each others' throats out, or a plan. A plan that works.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
It's hard to believe that we haven't had a good flash with sound since Christmas. No, we don't talk about Trickster Mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

IUG posted:

Unrelated, but I made your avatar from the picture in the PYF Funny Picture threads. I noticed it kept popping up, and that's because I also see it here.

Did you ask for the Guy Fieri logo because of it's also something mentioned in Homestuck?

No, actually! Homestuck didn't cross my mind when I got this. Thanks again, by the way.