Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Toady posted:

i agree with the reasons for c++ to exist, i just wish bjarne knew how to say no

GrumpyDoctor posted:

i still haven't quite figured out why nobody uses d. maybe some more experienced people can tell me. it can't be just inertia, there's got to be some other reason.

Bjarne knows how to say no. The people he says no too seem to go work on D.

In short, D is a hodgepodge of nice ideas and some horrible decisions. Like, arrays are also ranges by some hidden magic, except const char arrays, which are utf-8 encoded string, while are ranges of unicode characters, but otherwise look exactly like arrays of chars. Also inline unittests introduced with the unittest keyword are great until you realise the only way to run them is a special debug build which actually runs the whole thing but also runs your unittests.

Basically it's a sort of C++ with bits in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

ymgve posted:

people not knowing the difference between learn and teach itt

well what do you want to learn about? the functionality of the stl is pretty well documented at places like cppreference.com

if you want to learn about core language like how different constructors work and what will be called in what situation, cppreference also does that well.

The issue comes with things like ADL, RVO, copy elision, and other poo poo like that which afaik isn't documented in a "here's a list of things that happen in c++, maybe you should click one you don't recognize" kind of place.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Also D's web page takes 5s to load. How am I expected to use a language with such a slow web page?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
whats the web page for c++

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

FamDav posted:

well what do you want to learn about? the functionality of the stl is pretty well documented at places like cppreference.com

if you want to learn about core language like how different constructors work and what will be called in what situation, cppreference also does that well.

The issue comes with things like ADL, RVO, copy elision, and other poo poo like that which afaik isn't documented in a "here's a list of things that happen in c++, maybe you should click one you don't recognize" kind of place.

no i mean the instructions you posted sounds like instructing a lecturer how to teach c++ instead of how one individual would go about learning c++ for themselves

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Suspicious Dish posted:

whats the web page for c++

http://isocpp.org/ perhaps

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
C++ "standards" talk

gas
ban everyone

gently caress strosstrop

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Zombywuf posted:

Bjarne knows how to say no. The people he says no too seem to go work on D.

In short, D is a hodgepodge of nice ideas and some horrible decisions. Like, arrays are also ranges by some hidden magic, except const char arrays, which are utf-8 encoded string, while are ranges of unicode characters, but otherwise look exactly like arrays of chars. Also inline unittests introduced with the unittest keyword are great until you realise the only way to run them is a special debug build which actually runs the whole thing but also runs your unittests.

Basically it's a sort of C++ with bits in it.

pretty sure there's some kinda wierd flag that you can add that will tell the compiler not to replace main with a noop for running the unit tests

the rest is def true though

I found out recently that some very important US gov software is written in D
and runs on SCO :negative:

seriously the more time I spend in my line of work the more astonished I become that this country functions at even the most rudimentary level

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

JawnV6 posted:

yo does numpy actually meet shruges' criteria, esp. the expected return on failure cases?

be nice to point out he cant even read a spec/library

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3520389&pagenumber=11#post412927528

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
the only thing I know about D is that the guy who got 1st place in the google code challenge used it

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

JawnV6 posted:

yo does numpy actually meet shruges' criteria, esp. the expected return on failure cases?

be nice to point out he cant even read a spec/library

unfortunately i left behavior undefined when the matrix was singular, otherwise [[1,2,3],[11,12,13],[21,22,23]] would have been a good example where numpy think it can invert it. instead i had to search around for a nearby matrix which numpy thought was singular, and that was annoying (but not too annoying).

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
yo monoqc i just wanted to say thanks for the errang book. i only got through the first chapter or two but it was enough to help me debug some ejabberd modules today

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Glad to know it can be of any help :tipshat:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
wrong thread, evne worse

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
e: buts

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it's so hard to remember that there is a yospos outside of the pl thread sometimes

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
no its not

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
pffft what a missed opportunity, you could have reminded me there's a world outside of yospos

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

this thread is my favorite YOSPOS thread

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Gazpacho posted:

pffft what a missed opportunity, you could have reminded me there's a world outside of yospos

that would be the obvs joke why would i do that

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
stay away from c++ and learn functional programming or something else interesting

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
also gazpacho you can stop posting now

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

Effective c++ transformed me from a garbage c++ dev into a slightly less garbage c++ dev. good book.

i don't program c++ but this right here is the kind of testimonial i can get behind

also the only cool thing ive seen thats written in d is some of kenta cho's shmups

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i don't program c++ but this right here is the kind of testimonial i can get behind

also the only cool thing ive seen thats written in d is some of kenta cho's shmups

don't forget their kick-rear end nntp-based forums

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
the only good c++ references consist of lists of things you should not do in c++

this covers effective c++ and also the c++ fqa

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

JewKiller 3000 posted:

stay away from c++ and learn functional programming or something else interesting

do (mostly) functional programming in c++ :q:

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Jerry SanDisky posted:

do (mostly) functional programming in c++ :q:

only in c++11 is that even a possibility

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Java gets within spitting distance of c++ for performance so unless you're writing kernel code or need real-time guarantees I fail to see the point of using c++. C is the obvious choice of greybeards and Linux spergs but there's no niche for c++

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
or maybe the goal is something really crazy like making an unsandboxed app that has its own executable and uses the host OS's UI style

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
java has its own executable. also use c# if ur doin gui on windows.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you can make good, native looknfeel apps in eclipse rcp but holy hell does it suck to code. especially compared to xaml

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

or maybe the goal is something really crazy like making an unsandboxed app that has its own executable and uses the host OS's UI style

You're trying to be sarcastic but it's tyool 2013 so unless you're making a browser or a game iawtp

Java's UI toolkits are poo poo though

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

do you pronounce it "X A M L" or "zamül"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
second one or zamel

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

duTrieux. posted:

do you pronounce it "X A M L" or "zamül"

It's pronounced "gimme some dat Microsoft dick *schlorp schlorp schlorp*"

PENETRATION TESTS
Dec 26, 2011

built upon dope and vice
i use c++ for matrices and it owns?

http://eigen.tuxfamily.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Use java and lapack

PENETRATION TESTS
Dec 26, 2011

built upon dope and vice
ok

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

i tried getting that to work a couple weeks ago but the matrix market io stuff didnt work out of the box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
if you suspect you want to use any library that implements a ref counting smart pointer, immediately stop using c++ and switch languages