Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Perigryn posted:

You pity him, don't you? :)

It's more that a lot of them get really close to having something decent to say but veer straight off into crazytown because it's easier than having to back up your opinion with actual facts. I have some sympathy with the view that the current commonly used model of education may not be the most effective at getting kids to learn, but rather than look up some sort of qualitative or quantitative research Kendrick et al just decide "NAZIS!" is a good enough basis for an argument and leave it at that. Similarly I think there have been more than enough real life occurrences of governmental and corporate coverups to disabuse anyone of the notion that they have our best interests at heart, but rather than sticking to proven or fact-based examples they decide that the sun is cold and chemtrails are a jewi zioni Globalist plot.

Basically they remind me a lot of the way I used to think when I was a conspiracy-obsessed teenager before I discovered actual politics, and yeah while I kind of feel sorry for them I also like to think that maybe they believe crazy poo poo because they mean well, despite being too lazy to do any actual thinking. That may be wishful thinking on my part though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Bryan drive is weak
Low libido make Whit sleep
Last name she will keep

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Question for the ten count dudes and I guess the rest of the thread? What is your favorite wrestling move?

I love a good german suplex, myself.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Either a good DDT or a good Spear.

And none of your fancy floatovers or tornado DDTs, a good old Jake-esque DDT.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 2, 2013

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
I'm a powerbomb guy, no matter the variant.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
ATOMIC NOOGIE

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I've always been fond of Spinebusters and German Suplexes.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Draga posted:

I've always been fond of Spinebusters and German Suplexes.

If we're allowed to pick a particular wrestler's execution of a move, Arn Anderson's spinebuster jumps to the top of my list.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Bryan drive is weak
Low libido make Whit sleep
Last name she will keep

It felt like there was another along these lines but Vinny didn't read the last line.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Karl Stern spent ten live minutes on the air trying to find out what Nerf was an acronym for.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Favourite wrestling move is a northern lights or german suplex.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

If you don't answer "Canadian Destroyer" congrats on being wrong about everything

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

OUR HEAVENLY CHAMP posted:

Question for the ten count dudes and I guess the rest of the thread? What is your favorite wrestling move?

Swiss Death. It's a move that is guaranteed to get a pure :neckbeard: type reaction, especially if it comes out of nowhere. Every time Cesaro hits it, I yell at my friend to watch it again.

TLM
Mar 3, 2009

Rodney the Piper posted:

Karl Stern spent ten live minutes on the air trying to find out what Nerf was an acronym for.

Karl Stern is a national treasure. I could listen to him all day just talk about the most random poo poo.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

It's more that a lot of them get really close to having something decent to say but veer straight off into crazytown because it's easier than having to back up your opinion with actual facts. I have some sympathy with the view that the current commonly used model of education may not be the most effective at getting kids to learn, but rather than look up some sort of qualitative or quantitative research Kendrick et al just decide "NAZIS!" is a good enough basis for an argument and leave it at that. Similarly I think there have been more than enough real life occurrences of governmental and corporate coverups to disabuse anyone of the notion that they have our best interests at heart, but rather than sticking to proven or fact-based examples they decide that the sun is cold and chemtrails are a jewi zioni Globalist plot.

Basically they remind me a lot of the way I used to think when I was a conspiracy-obsessed teenager before I discovered actual politics, and yeah while I kind of feel sorry for them I also like to think that maybe they believe crazy poo poo because they mean well, despite being too lazy to do any actual thinking. That may be wishful thinking on my part though

Nobody in this thread has pointed out how much of a loving idiot Kendrick made himself look at the end of the show by blindly throwing his support behind some recent bigfoot research before Bryan Alvarez had to step in like a real journalist to fill in all the gaps like how the researchers tried to make up their own academic journal to give their bigfoot story some credibility.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Eleanor Pwnsevelt posted:

Nobody in this thread has pointed out how much of a loving idiot Kendrick made himself look at the end of the show by blindly throwing his support behind some recent bigfoot research before Bryan Alvarez had to step in like a real journalist to fill in all the gaps like how the researchers tried to make up their own academic journal to give their bigfoot story some credibility.

I haven't actually listened to the show yet, but that's why I like Bryan. He's kind of a schmuck when it comes to analysis sometimes but he's a really good interviewer. Also, despite the Bigfoot stuff being a huge passion of his, he never lets his love for it overcome his skepticism. He knows it's all bullshit and never pretends otherwise.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
Hey, remember when we were able to keep the Punchsport Podcast to a neat and tidy 60 minutes or so? Yeah, neither do I.

The Ten Count returns with myself, HulkaMatt, Kung Fu Grip, MRP and the returning Nut Bunnies! Here are our topics:

1. Am I crazy, or is CM Punk the perfect guy to break the Streak?
2. Rock and Cena's promo war
3. WRESTLER OF THE WEEK: The Brooklyn Brawler
4. What's the biggest moment that you had a chance to see either live or on TV, and missed?
5. What's your favorite/least favorite wrestling move?
6. If you could erase one wrestling figure from history, who would it be?
7. What wrestling figure ruins your enjoyment of wrestling the most?
8. FEUD OF THE WEEK: Sin Cara Azul vs. Sin Cara Negro
9. Will you be subscribing to the WWE Network?
10. Is the predictability of the WrestleMania main events a good thing?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

A proper piledriver. Also love the chickenwing variant.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

What was the question about a rumor that Bryan refused to read?
Independent journalism should be fearless! :argh:

Question for the next Ten Count:
What are your favorite and least favorite match cliches?
Obviously the correct answers are finisher stealing and shoulder to the ringpost.

You are a monster if you hate hot tags.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
For the next Ten Count, what is your favourite promo? for me, it's the Hard Times promo. So drat fun.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

TLM posted:

Karl Stern is a national treasure. I could listen to him all day just talk about the most random poo poo.

I loving love him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Draga posted:

For the next Ten Count, what is your favourite promo? for me, it's the Hard Times promo. So drat fun.

Eddie Guerrero's promo after he turned on Rey Jr.

"POR QUE, REY? WHY'D YOU MAKE ME DO IT?!?!?!

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Hey Ten Count, any thoughts about a recurring topic that takes two random wrestlers from your wheel and you guys book them in an angle?

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Hey Ten Count, any thoughts about a recurring topic that takes two random wrestlers from your wheel and you guys book them in an angle?

I don't really know how that would work...maybe some of the other guys can weigh in?

The Goog fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 6, 2013

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I was so disappointed Dave didn't answer that question directed to Bryan.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Finally found a match I wanted to see for a while, so I made this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eAw6H_WfTw

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

dsriggs posted:

Is it really bad I laughed so hard?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

dsriggs posted:

This is awesome

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

MRP had it right, with the hard A pronunciation.

ALSO YOU'RE THE FUCKER, KFG

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Hey guys, question for the podcast: what sort of percentage of people that get into wrestling get to a point where they can make money on it? I mean, I assume if you're working for WWE, you're making enough that you don't have to work a "day job" sort of thing. I assume if you're a woman working for TNA, you're going to still need your shifts at Sunglass Hut to make ends meet, which in itself is pretty hosed up.

I know very little about promotions other than WWE. For example: would the Briscoe brothers need day jobs? I assume if you're at any other promotion other than WWE, TNA or ROH you definitely would need one, and even most people at ROH would. Or am I showing my ignorance; can you actually make a decent living as an indie wrestler in the US? I mean, I doubt there is a single person living here in Australia who can make a living as a pro-wrestler or promoter in any capacity. When I trained (13 years ago, for about six months, total of two matches) the guy who trained me worked his day job as a car detailer for the dealership where I was working as a mechanic.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Memento1979 posted:

I know very little about promotions other than WWE. For example: would the Briscoe brothers need day jobs? I assume if you're at any other promotion other than WWE, TNA or ROH you definitely would need one, and even most people at ROH would. Or am I showing my ignorance; can you actually make a decent living as an indie wrestler in the US? I mean, I doubt there is a single person living here in Australia who can make a living as a pro-wrestler or promoter in any capacity. When I trained (13 years ago, for about six months, total of two matches) the guy who trained me worked his day job as a car detailer for the dealership where I was working as a mechanic.

Briscoes are chicken farmers in real life and and it's part of their gimmick. Other top indie guys like Steen rely on wrestling as their sole source of income, but they certainly aren't making nearly as much as their WWE counterparts. Steen said in his Highspots shoot that he has no personal desire to work for the WWE, but he feels he should probably make the personal sacrifices to do so (for one thing, he'd need to lose a massive amount of weight) in order to better provide for his family. Colt Cabana would be an example of a guy who doesn't work for any of the promotions you mentioned who works purely in wrestling.

I'm not sure where I heard this or even that confident that I recall what I heard/read correctly so please don't take this as fact, but I think I read somewhere that Steen was making high 5 figures for example.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 7, 2013

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
It also depends how much you're willing to work, and how much you're willing to travel. Briscoes I dont think travel very much, but guys like Steen, Generico, and Davey Richards will travel all across the country doing shows, and occasionally do overseas tours.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

"Big Dave" posted:

Thea Trinidad, 22, who worked as Rosita in TNA, got a tryout backstage over the weekend. If I wrote those same words in 1983, it would mean something entirely different.

Oh Dave. :allears:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The first three minutes of the Matysik interview are full of great Bryan moments. I guess approximately three, but they are classic. I am not sure I want to listen to the rest, but it is snowing so I will. You need to hear the first three minutes though.

Three minutes.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

question for the next Ten Count: do you think WWE should put the title on Brock Lesnar at some point?

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Cardboard Box posted:

question for the next Ten Count: do you think WWE should put the title on Brock Lesnar at some point?

Matt and I talked about this about six weeks ago. Our answer was a resounding yes. I think I said something to the effect of "Have him beat Cena at Extreme Rules, kill everyone for a year, then lose to Undertaker at WrestleMania XXX."

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

The Goog posted:

Matt and I talked about this about six weeks ago. Our answer was a resounding yes. I think I said something to the effect of "Have him beat Cena at Extreme Rules, kill everyone for a year, then lose to Undertaker at WrestleMania XXX."

I remember that and distinctly liking the idea until it was The Undertaker who beats him for the title, though I have no real idea who should beat him. Hypothetically, even two years ago I would think it was great, but its the same problem with having Punk/Taker this year be for the title. As long as Undertaker works one night a year, he shouldn't win the title just to vacate it. But I did like every other thing about that.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Saturday Night Curtain Jerkers for this week.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MassRayPer posted:

The first three minutes of the Matysik interview are full of great Bryan moments. I guess approximately three, but they are classic. I am not sure I want to listen to the rest, but it is snowing so I will. You need to hear the first three minutes though.

Three minutes.

There were times where Bryan was just at a loss for words during that conversation which were pretty funny. Or maybe he wasn't at a loss for words but his natural pause was enough for Dave to hop in and him and Matysik would talk again for 20 minutes without referencing him.

I imagine there are segments of the Observer audience who were enraged by the fact that him and Dave both agreed Triple H belonged on the top 50 of all time and that Chris Jericho didn't.

I kind of thought the interview would be all old wrestling, which was what I was looking for, but it was still pretty darn good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
But WHY would he give him the CHAIN?!