Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

This kind of reminds me of a question I have about The Ring. I don't think the answer will be different in the American versus Japanese version, but if it is I guess I'll take both answers.

I understand that Samara was born with some sort of telepathy/psychic ability, but was she evil to the extent that she became once she was dead? I know her mother feared her, but I can't remember if she actually did anything to justify that fear. The American version I remember focused pretty heavily on her being so angry because of how she died, but I don't know if in the flashback it makes it clear that she was always that way. I bring it up because The Ring is the first movie ghost where I remember the twist being "she's just lashing out because of the horrible thing that was done to her, its not her fault!"

If I'm remembering the Japanese version right, she kills some dude at a demonstration of her psychic ability and it's somewhat ambiguous as to whether it was an accident or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Basebf555 posted:

This kind of reminds me of a question I have about The Ring. I don't think the answer will be different in the American versus Japanese version, but if it is I guess I'll take both answers.

I understand that Samara was born with some sort of telepathy/psychic ability, but was she evil to the extent that she became once she was dead? I know her mother feared her, but I can't remember if she actually did anything to justify that fear. The American version I remember focused pretty heavily on her being so angry because of how she died, but I don't know if in the flashback it makes it clear that she was always that way. I bring it up because The Ring is the first movie ghost where I remember the twist being "she's just lashing out because of the horrible thing that was done to her, its not her fault!"

I thought the twist on the twist was "nope she actually was just loving evil" hence the whole "why did you do that??" from the kid when the mom says they set her free.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

I thought the twist on the twist was "nope she actually was just loving evil" hence the whole "why did you do that??" from the kid when the mom says they set her free.

Thats what my first instinct was too, but then when I thought about it I feel like the twist was more "you thought you had figured out a way to end this, but there's no way to get around the fact that someone is going to die." I see it as more turning an old trope on its head. Usually in ghost stories when you find the body and give it a decent burial they go away.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I thought it was ambiguous whether she'd always been evil, or was just a screwed up kid who got blamed for doctor dying/horses dying.

Her being murdered horribly sure as hell made her evil, though.

But it's been ages since I saw it. Waiting for the bluray to drop.

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people
The Japanese prequel Ringu 0: Birthday deals with Sadako's backstory. I'm going from memory here and it's a somewhat convoluted plot but as I remember:
There are actually two Sadako's, which happens at the point the Reporter dies as mentioned by LtKenFrankenstein. It's ambiguous as to whether or not this was an accident because she's very Carrie throughout the film. After the reporter dies the evil version of Sadako is manifested as a real presence but doesn't age, she follows the good Sadako around protecting her. She also moves like Sadako does in the previous films wheras Good Sadako seems to be a mostly normal girl. Good Sadako joins an acting troupe, they find out about her psychic powers. Because the good Sadako doesn't have full control of her powers when she gets upset things still start going crazy around her and they upset her during a performance by revealing she's psychic and the stage falls apart killing her Doctor. They decide the only way to permanently get rid of the Evil Sadako is to kill the good one. The evil Sadako seems to take over the good one and kills basically everyone; then Good Sadako takes over again. The remaining folk try and kill her (this is when she gets axed and thrown in the well). When she dies the Evil Sadako disappears and takes over the body of Good Sadako just in time to look up at the well being closed over.

Like I said... convoluted.

Oh yeah and it's different in the book as well. There basically she never killed the reporter but she still joins the acting troupe, she creates the curse by accident and a bunch of her colleagues die. She runs away and goes to see her dad in hospital, where one of the doctors rapes her and finds out she's a hermaphrodite, so she attacks him and he throws her down the well. I guess they decided to translate hermaphrodite into being two people in the film.
I didn't like the book all that much. It got me through an overnight flight years ago but I wouldn't recommend it personally.

Soylent Green fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 28, 2013

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Soylent Green posted:

The Japanese prequel Ringu 0: Birthday deals with Sadako's backstory. I'm going from memory here and it's a somewhat convoluted plot but as I remember:
There are actually two Sadako's, which happens at the point the Reporter dies as mentioned by LtKenFrankenstein. It's ambiguous as to whether or not this was an accident because she's very Carrie throughout the film. After the reporter dies the evil version of Sadako is manifested as a real presence but doesn't age, she follows the good Sadako around protecting her. She also moves like Sadako does in the previous films wheras Good Sadako seems to be a mostly normal girl. Good Sadako joins an acting troupe, they find out about her psychic powers. Because the good Sadako doesn't have full control of her powers when she gets upset things still start going crazy around her and they upset her during a performance by revealing she's psychic and the stage falls apart killing her Doctor. They decide the only way to permanently get rid of the Evil Sadako is to kill the good one. The evil Sadako seems to take over the good one and kills basically everyone; then Good Sadako takes over again. The remaining folk try and kill her (this is when she gets axed and thrown in the well). When she dies the Evil Sadako disappears and takes over the body of Good Sadako just in time to look up at the well being closed over.

Like I said... convoluted.

Ringu 0 and Ringu 2 are totally worth seeing though.

Everything else sucks.

Especially this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3FsK0vzWvk

404 File Not Found!!!!!

That said, I'd totally go see a 3D re-release of The Ring in theatres.

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Ringu 0 and Ringu 2 are totally worth seeing though.

Oh yeah poo poo, that sounds like I was being down on them. I really like both. Ringu 2 seems to get a lot of negative reactions but I love how mental it is as well. The way they play the main scare in the editing room is fantastic. Ringu 0 is definitely worth a watch, like I say it's basically a Japanese version of Carrie.

I hadn't heard about the fourth one, I've avoided the TV series and the like so far. MPD Psycho is my go to Japanese horror serial.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Soylent Green posted:

Oh yeah poo poo, that sounds like I was being down on them. I really like both. Ringu 2 seems to get a lot of negative reactions but I love how mental it is as well. The way they play the main scare in the editing room is fantastic. Ringu 0 is definitely worth a watch, like I say it's basically a Japanese version of Carrie.

gently caress yeah :respek:

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Soylent Green posted:

I didn't like the book all that much. It got me through an overnight flight years ago but I wouldn't recommend it personally.

Bit of a tangent, but while I didn't read the prequel book, the main trilogy is excellent. It forgoes the supernatural aspect of the films (outside of acceptance of the idea of psychics and a possible explanation for Sadako's origins), and falls more to pop science for its backdrop, which makes things looney in the best way. Sadako is a more active character with agency in the novels, as opposed to being a force of nature in the movies, which makes her actions even more vindictive and evil; they're also put to much more severe effect. The author is excellent at imposing dread, tension and that overbearing sense of 'wrongness' The Ring, Ringu and Ringu 2 have through his detached descriptions, and the localizations translate these traits pretty spotlessly. The second novel is reminiscent of the mood the film Kairo has, and the third just goes completely off the walls, but is still worth a read.

Most importantly, though, the novels have Ryuji, who is one of the most magnificent assholes in fiction.

EDIT: The posters above are completely right in which movies are worth it, though. Ring Two is atrocious and Rasen is a z-grade soap opera version of the second novel. Ring 2 feels really eclectic compared to the consistent tones of The Ring and Ringu, but I love its insanity. Ring 0 is much more of a tragic drama than anything, but it's still very solid. Describing it as a Carrie analogue is pretty accurate. Haven't that Korean take on the first novel so I can't comment.

Ring 3D looks absolutely abysmal and I would be so much more excited for it if this were the real trailer.

Violen fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 28, 2013

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people

Violen posted:

Bit of a tangent, but while I didn't read the prequel book, the main trilogy is excellent.

I still have that first book. I'll try it again on this recommendation, it's fairly short from memory right? Or maybe every book seems short when you read it on a plane.

quote:

Ring 3D looks absolutely abysmal and I would be so much more excited for it if this were the real trailer.
That's pretty funny but I've got to admit I was really, really disappointed that it wasn't a case of the giant screen turning to a shot of the well or the videotape. Tonal consistency be damned, if I got my hands on the ring franchise the teaser would be a shot of Times Square bustling at night, all seems normal, then at the end the image on the big advertising screen cuts to the shot of the well. Or maybe the videotape, I haven't decided. I feel like the well would work better.
It's a set up that is almost certainly going to be dreadful but there's no way in hell I wouldn't be in that cinema at midnight to find out for sure.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Violen posted:

Crawl out the jumbtron => kaiju Ring sequel.

Make it happen, Japan.

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Crawl out the jumbtron => kaiju Ring sequel.

Make it happen, Japan.

This is what I was getting at. It'd be gloriously ridiculous.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

The only one of these I haven't seen is Dead Silence. I don't remember it being received very well at the time of release, but I've caught a few mentions of it in this thread. Is it actually worth watching? (I mean, beyond the tantalizing possibilities of flat-out evil ghosts.)

I thought Dead Silence was pretty good. Better than I was expecting. Charlie Clouser's score was really good, too.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Anyone seen The Last Exorcism Part 2 yet? It seems odd how Lionsgate aren't releasing this one, didn't they release the first?

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
How is The Frighteners? I see it up on Netflix Instant and just saw it mentioned on the last page, but have never heard of it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Whispering Machines posted:

How is The Frighteners? I see it up on Netflix Instant and just saw it mentioned on the last page, but have never heard of it.

loving owns, along the lines of the Evil Dead series.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

It's pretty good. It's a mix of comedy, horror, and pathos, sort of uneven and not as good as Jackson's other horror/thriller stuff, but worth putting in the queue.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Loved that movie. One of the best horror comedies in recent memory, and one of the key reasons I got excited about Peter Jackson directing Lord Of The Rings back in the day. Lot of distance between Bad Taste/BrainDead and Heavenly Creatures/The Frighteners

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
Agreeing with the aforementioned opinions re: The Frighteners. It is a hell of a lot of fun. In terms of its tone and goals it's always seemed to me to be a lot like, say, Gremlins, except it's not so much a kid-friendly family film.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

Sire Oblivion posted:

loving owns, along the lines of the Evil Dead series.

Hey. Woah there. I love the frighteners but let's not go to far there. It's no evil dead.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

schwenz posted:

Hey. Woah there. I love the frighteners but let's not go to far there. It's no evil dead.

It's at least as good as Army of Darkness, though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cart posted:

Lot of distance between Bad Taste/BrainDead and Heavenly Creatures/The Frighteners

But what they have in common is they're all better than Lord of the Rings.

Slasherfan posted:

Anyone seen The Last Exorcism Part 2 yet? It seems odd how Lionsgate aren't releasing this one, didn't they release the first?

Can we talk about how stupid this title is?

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 1, 2013

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
The Even Lastier Exorcism?

I liked the first one so I'll see this, but yeah, that title. No good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'd be okay with it if they went all Lucas, destroyed all the copies of the first one and rereleased it as The Penultimate Exorcism.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
They really should have called it "part 2" or something completely different entirely

"Abalam in the Big Easy" gets my vote.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Darthemed posted:

It's at least as good as Army of Darkness, though.

But gets minus points for not having chin of the year.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
The Last Exorcism Part 2 kind of sounds like naming your band The Lone Rangers.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Just returning to this quickly, I think the main hint you're given to Samara's evil nature is the fact that the Doctor tells Rachel that Anna Morgan couldn't conceive and then mysteriously appeared with a child. I think the implication is some kind of deal with the devil or unnatural conception thing.

Cunted
Dec 18, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So out of curiosity and a sudden inexplicable craving -- are there any horror-musicals that aren't terrible?

Of course as soon as I typed that I immediately remembered that Little Shop of Horrors is a thing, so let's append "recent" to that question.

Not 100% related but the Phantom of the Paradise might be up your alley. It's horror featuring a musical at least :downs:

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Horns posted:

The Last Exorcism Part 2 kind of sounds like naming your band The Lone Rangers.

Get quote, that movies is also streaming :)

Airheads

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Do you know which version it is? I think the directors cut is to long but the original version is fantastic.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

priznat posted:

They really should have called it "part 2" or something completely different entirely

"Abalam in the Big Easy" gets my vote.

The Last Exorcism: Electric Boogaloo

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
There's a Final Fantasy 14, I'm pretty sure a Last Exorcism 2 is well under what the general public would consider obnoxious

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
Don't forget all the Final Destinations and Neverending Stories.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Final Destination is a little different as the title is referring to death.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also Neverending Story is like the opposite of what we're talking about. The more sequels there are the closer to being accurate that title is.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Slasherfan posted:

Do you know which version it is? I think the directors cut is to long but the original version is fantastic.

Netflix has the original version up but both are a loving blast, I wish Peter Jackson would knock out a few more movies like this.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Just got back from seeing Stoker, the new Park Chan-Wook film, and I pretty much loved it. I had already read the script over a year ago and really enjoyed it on the page, but seeing the finished product with all of Park's visual flourishes really elevated the material. I guess it might be classified more as a dark psychological drama rather than straight-up horror, but for me this is probably the best twisted metaphor for female sexual awakening/coming-of-age I've seen since Lucky McKee's May.

Definitely the best American debut of an Asian director in a long time. If you're a fan of Park's other works, this'll feel right at home. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that he's using his same longtime cinematographer, Chung Chung-Hoon. He definitely hasn't 'mainstreamed' the material for mass consumption.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

When people say there is too much violence in my books, what they are saying is there is too much reality in life.
That is great news. Where did you see it, at the cinema? Is it on demand as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

epoch. posted:

That is great news. Where did you see it, at the cinema? Is it on demand as well?

Saw it at the cinema. Arclight Hollywood. Is it not in wide release?