Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
Option A: Garrett 2554, quality cast manifold and SS downpipe, oil/water distributor, good hoses, heatshield. All used, about 15-20k on them.

Option B: ISIS T28 for a SR20DET, FM manifold/outlet/downpipe, basic hoses. All new.

Assuming the price was comparable, which would you opt for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Garrett because they are so common there will be lots of support available for it. That low of mileage on the parts is basically nothing as long as it wasn't abused.

Also:
http://www.bellengineering.net/product_info.php?cPath=4_74&products_id=405 300$
VS
http://www.frsport.com/Garrett-GT2554R-471171-3--GT25R--Dual-Ball-Bearing-Turbo-w-Internal-WG_p_2304.html 1000$

(They were just the first hits on google so probably not the best prices, but you're probably not paying 700$ more just for a brand name)

craig588 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 28, 2013

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

They're both garret turbos though I believe. A T25 on that car feels pretty good, and you won't want much more transmission breaking power. Do whatever is cheaper though. Hoses don't really matter unless you're tracking it and paying attention to heat. I had just rubber parts store generic hoses for mine with the exception of the oil feed. No distribution block either.

Edit: didn't see that it looks like the ISIS is a cheap knock off turbo. I would not go that route personally. Who makes the "quality cast manifold"? Either BEGI or FM I'd guess or the ebay cast for the 1.6L. I don't know of any others unless they're really scarce.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 28, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

AF posted:

aaaaa I just spotted that on CL right now and was gonna post it here, too. Although KBB is not the definitive guide, it states that the Miata in that ad is $4k, max. It looks really nice, though, and considering how lovely the used car market is here in the bay area, it might not be a bad buy.

KBB/NADA doesn't mean squat when pricing Miatas. When I sold my 95M KKB said it was worth 5k and I sold it for twice that, shows how much they know.

I would pay 4.5k for that black Miata because of the condition, low miles and aftermarket parts. Somebody probably will pay 5k or close to it.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Larrymer posted:

Edit: didn't see that it looks like the ISIS is a cheap knock off turbo. I would not go that route personally. Who makes the "quality cast manifold"? Either BEGI or FM I'd guess or the ebay cast for the 1.6L. I don't know of any others unless they're really scarce.

Yeah, it's a BEGI. Ceramic coated, etc. Good stuff. The issue is really known quantity vs. throwing the dice on used parts that may be very good or broken in some terminal way. And the risk of guy just plain disappearing with the money, but there's not much I can do about that.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

leica posted:

KBB/NADA doesn't mean squat when pricing Miatas. When I sold my 95M KKB said it was worth 5k and I sold it for twice that, shows how much they know.

I would pay 4.5k for that black Miata because of the condition, low miles and aftermarket parts. Somebody probably will pay 5k or close to it.

It will get the 5k for sure. Easily.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
I agree, kbb is not the be all end all re: price. I'm on my way to check out that miata right now, haha.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

leica posted:

What the gently caress. When did you sell your 95M for $10k?
I think 95Ms are worth about $5k now... or at least they were a few years ago, and I figure Miata prices have basically stabilized now.

Re turbos: IMO a T28 is just too big. A GT2554 or 2560 is a nice size for a street driven Miata.

AF posted:

I agree, kbb is not the be all end all re: price. I'm on my way to check out that miata right now, haha.
The black one?

e: this one also seems like it *could* be decent:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/3650507786.html
no photos tho

quote:

2000 Mazda Miata - $4200 (inner sunset / UCSF)
I have 2000 Mazda Miata for sale, clean title. Im selling it because i bough an NA 1994 miata and going to stick with it
5 speed
Torsen LSD
The chassis has 190k. The motor has 116k ( have paper work to prove, with matching vins)
The original motor blew while my sister had the car. She ran the car completely with no oil. So i bought the new motor for $950 (have paper work) and put it in. While puttting in the motor i did a full tune up. New timing, water pump, hoses, all of the gaskets and seals. I also put in a brand new 1.6 clutch, that i had laying around.

Im asking $4200 obo
NO LOWBALLERS!!!! Im already loosing almost $1000 on this car.

ahahah, wtf is this poo poo:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/3627408794.html

quote:

1990 miata 1.8 - $1300 (sebastopol)

Hello I have a miata for sale is clean title and is running, it has custom knuckles that will make the power stearing go hella out of angle, it has ground control coils with I don't know what brand lower sprints, after market colder intake, perfect conditions soft top no leakings, straight body, interior is 9 out of 10.
5speed with stage 2 clutch and a short shifter no grinds or pop outs
After market lether bucket seat, after market stearing.
Knuckles have after market power stearing end,
Larger studs so that you can put a 1inch spacers in front,
After market (sports) hubs
They look almost brand new and they all go for about 700
So the bad parts: it has over 300 miles on chassis but about 150 on engine,
It has a beep witch will sit the car out any time I don't know why. I never took it to the mechanic but is running
The registration went out in November.
I might lower the prize but only taking out the knuckles

Hog Obituary fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 1, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hog Obituary posted:

What the gently caress. When did you sell your 95M for $10k?
I think 95Ms are worth about $5k now... or at least they were a few years ago, and I figure Miata prices have basically stabilized now.

It was about five or six years ago. It was flawless with matching hard top, some guy in D.C. bought it sight unseen and sent a hauler to pick it up. Very strange sale, never done anything like it, but I got what I wanted for it even though the KBB value was 5k with the hard top.

The current Miata market dictates prices, not KBB.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

leica posted:

The current Miata market dictates prices, not KBB.
certainly. I was saying $5k based on the average buy/sell of a '95M -- hell I sold my Turbo 95M for $8k, but I had probably $12k INVESTED. :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well honestly, most 95M's are neglected so they aren't very special. I've seen a few recently that looked like poo poo. I'd bet my paycheck that an all original mint condition 95M would fetch 10k all day long, it is probably the most desired Miata out there, and people are going to pay a premium for a good one. The 95M will probably be one of the first models to start appreciating in value I'm sure.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

"It has a beep witch will sit the car out any time I don't know why. I never took it to the mechanic but is running"

I am trying so hard to translate but I'm coming up blank.

Though it does have after market stearing. So there's that.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/3648062189.html
This car has been up for a while. It's gonna need timing belt and WP... so what'd be a fair price? Say $3200?

I'm pretty sure the owner is a hellflush type 'cause he had pictures up before of the car with giant dish wheels and excessive camber.

Hog Obituary fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 1, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Show up with cash in hand, it would be a good deal at 3200.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

'95 was the last year of the real oil pressure gauge, right?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Previa_fun posted:

'94

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

Wowww, post that poo poo in the CL gold thread. That ad is absolutely hilarious.

leica posted:

Somebody probably will pay 5k or close to it.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

It will get the 5k for sure. Easily.

That person is me :shobon:

I drove an hour through traffic to see it. Everything looked fantastic. Passenger door had maybe two door dings a small scratch. Everything else was cherry. Soft top is a year old and looks really, really nice. No rips, tears, blemishes in the interior; all electronics worked. Overall condition is just awesome. Full disclosure: the test drive was the first time I've ever driven a Miata. I had a BLAST just driving it around the block. I burst out laughing at least a half dozen times because I was just having so much fun. My emotions...didn't help when it came time to deal with the price. The car was in such good condition and I enjoyed it so much that it was hard to find anything to use as leverage to bargain with. I really should have docked some for the timing belt and battery; owner thinks the belt might be original and the battery is a Mazda unit that I couldn't find that date on.

Anyhow, I should be picking it up tomorrow. So FRICKIN' excited. I can't believe it.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
^^^
Who gives a poo poo, that maintenance is easy. Congrats! I know that feeling.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Viper915 posted:

So I ordered all the bushings and boots needed to freshen up my shifter, but then realized that I missed the actual leather boot that keeps it looking pretty. Is any random cheap ebay boot going to hold up well enough for this or should I put in a second order for a real one? Also has anyone found them for less than like $40?

I know I'm a few days late to the shift boot party but I bought a leather one from here http://www.redlinegoods.com/Miatashiftboot.php. I got dark gray with blue stitching, looks great and has held up just fine for the two years i have had the car. It's a little pricey but I wanted a custom color and these the top of the boot is looser (I like mine bunched up and pushed down the shifter a bit since I have a plain steel shift knob).

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Mar 1, 2013

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Bit of a strange issue with the brakes - when I start the car, I need to stand on the pedel for the car to stop. The issue is gone within 2 minutes or less. This seems to happen only when it's right around freezing outside with very high relative humidity. Anyone have any ideas?

E: also happens after I wash the car. I wonder how my caliper slide pins look up front, might be time to re-grease...

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 1, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Uh yeah, might be time to take them apart and grease everything, a hardware kit would be a good idea too.

If they are seizing up time for new calipers. FM sells Willwood calipers that bolt right on, kinda pricey though.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

TrueChaos posted:

Bit of a strange issue with the brakes - when I start the car, I need to stand on the pedel for the car to stop. The issue is gone within 2 minutes or less. This seems to happen only when it's right around freezing outside with very high relative humidity. Anyone have any ideas?

E: also happens after I wash the car. I wonder how my caliper slide pins look up front, might be time to re-grease...

Vacuum boosters also can freeze, there isn't really a fix for that, though. Check the calipers and such too, just in case.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

leica posted:

Uh yeah, might be time to take them apart and grease everything, a hardware kit would be a good idea too.

If they are seizing up time for new calipers. FM sells Willwood calipers that bolt right on, kinda pricey though.

Yeah, I replaced pads/rotors/hardware ~8 months ago. Everything was greased at that time, but who knows. The part that's wierd to me is its basically one hard press of the pedal and everything is back to normal. It's very intermittent too, happened twice this week. I'm honestly wondering if its just the pads/rotors sitting wet or something, as it only really happens the first pedel push after I either wash the car or its been sitting for a while in rainy/humid weather. The pedal is firm, ABS works, doesn't feel any different than it has before.

Here's hoping its not the vacuum booster, those are expensive. Though that's what it feels like - using the brakes when the car is off.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

TrueChaos posted:

Yeah, I replaced pads/rotors/hardware ~8 months ago. Everything was greased at that time, but who knows. The part that's wierd to me is its basically one hard press of the pedal and everything is back to normal. It's very intermittent too, happened twice this week. I'm honestly wondering if its just the pads/rotors sitting wet or something, as it only really happens the first pedel push after I either wash the car or its been sitting for a while in rainy/humid weather. The pedal is firm, ABS works, doesn't feel any different than it has before.

Here's hoping its not the vacuum booster, those are expensive. Though that's what it feels like - using the brakes when the car is off.

Isn't the standard test for this to keep the car off, pump the pedal several times to build up pressure, then when it's good and stiff, put pressure on it, and if your booster is good, it'll keep pressure, and if it's bad it'll bleed off and the pedal will sink down?

note: I COULD BE WRONG,

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Korwen posted:

Isn't the standard test for this to keep the car off, pump the pedal several times to build up pressure, then when it's good and stiff, put pressure on it, and if your booster is good, it'll keep pressure, and if it's bad it'll bleed off and the pedal will sink down?

note: I COULD BE WRONG,

It holds up to this test just fine. I will take everything apart and re-grease on the weekend, and probably flush the braking system at the same time. Hopefully this solves the issue.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Previa_fun posted:

Wait, so what the hell does the oil pressure gauge on my '97 do??

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Voltage posted:

It tells you whether or not the oil pressure switch has engaged, which is at around 8PSI.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Let's you know that your engine is hosed. Past tense.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Voltage posted:

It's not real, it's actually binary. It's basically an oil pressure light with a needle.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
Newbie Miata/convertible questions incoming:

The soft top on my Miata is a Robbins with a plastic window and doesn't seem to have a zipper: is this common? I went ahead and folded it for the first time and the window folds in half on itself. I noticed last night when I was driving it with the top up that there's a noticeable crease in the window where it's being folded. Is this something I just have to accept?

Also, I tried to put on the cover that goes over the top when it's lowered, but the rollbar is in the way. I can't find a way to secure it. Is it safe to drive without it?

Lastly, I just discovered the dedicated raise/lower headlight button, awesome :haw:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The tonneau cover is pretty much just for looks. I'm sure it mitigates some sun damage to the top, but it makes a shitload of noise.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

AF posted:

Also, I tried to put on the cover that goes over the top when it's lowered, but the rollbar is in the way. I can't find a way to secure it. Is it safe to drive without it?

Sell it to a crazy person on miata.net who can keep it with their collection of Nardi steering wheels. I've not once used a cover and it's a pain to carry around anyways.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
Removed the cover. Good to know, thanks guys!

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
Mine fits round my rollbar with a bit of finagling. I kinda like the way it looks. One of these days I'll cut and hem some slots in it so it fits better.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

For the plastic window, use a pool "noodle" in the fold of the window and that will prevent it from creasing.

And yeah the covers are for sun protection and if the top is down a lot it's a good idea to have it on, the inside of the top is not protected and will get hosed up by UV rays. The soft top on my Miata was garbage because of it, I could put my fingers right through the areas that were exposed to the sun.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 2, 2013

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

AF posted:

Newbie Miata/convertible questions incoming:

The soft top on my Miata is a Robbins with a plastic window and doesn't seem to have a zipper: is this common? I went ahead and folded it for the first time and the window folds in half on itself. I noticed last night when I was driving it with the top up that there's a noticeable crease in the window where it's being folded. Is this something I just have to accept?

Lastly, I just discovered the dedicated raise/lower headlight button, awesome :haw:

You should just get a towel to put on the outside of your top before you put it down. Prevents the crease, but it may be a bit late for that.

E: f; b

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So I rented a rug doctor along with the hand held attachment to clean my carpets and furniture and thought hey might as well do the Miata quick. Jesus where those seats loving dirty.

:barf:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Toolshack_farts.jpg

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I know what I'm doing tomorrow. Gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Actually, they are the seats from my '95. I swapped them out because the driver bolster on the '97 was ripped to hell and I don't like the '97 seats anyway, not as supportive as the older ones.

But yeah I was kinda shocked at how dirty the water came out. I guess that happens when you leave the top down all the time.