Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I sort of wish Painkiller had more weapons, but there's no denying that you get a lot of mileage out of those in the game. I especially loved the third "fire mode" of the stake gun that involved firing an explosive, nailing it in mid-air with a stake, and turning the two projectiles into a poor man's rocket. Of course, there's still the whole issue of having to hit something with it.

I quite happily played through 95% of Painkiller using only the stake gun. I don't think I've found a weapon quite as satisfying since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
Looks like Samsara is ditching Duke's Jetpack and giving him back some of the greatest weapons ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG2XdLl5pb4

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rather Dashing posted:

I quite happily played through 95% of Painkiller using only the stake gun. I don't think I've found a weapon quite as satisfying since.

Dead Space 2 (and you can build one in 3) had a gun that shot electrified spikes that also nailed enemies to walls. When fully upgraded, it gained an alt-fire that caused the last spike you fired to explode.

By the end of Dead Space 3, I was rocking one of those, and I replicated the Painkiller minigun/rocket launcher hybrid, too, with the twin bonus tweaks of firing incendiary bullets/rockets and causing no self-splash damage. It's hard to be scared when you're literally the most powerful being this side of valhalla. Painkiller had the best weapons, though, no question.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 28, 2013

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 28 minutes!
Toilet Rascal
The DS3 weapon crafting system is really well done, it's a shame that it had to have the paid DLC mixed in and also a shame about the rest of the game.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

gooby on rails posted:

The DS3 weapon crafting system is really well done, it's a shame that it had to have the paid DLC mixed in and also a shame about the rest of the game.

Honestly, were it not for there being a 'buy with real money' option on most menus, I would have never known that there was anything unusual. Even playing on Hard, I ended up comically overpowered by about halfway through, just using what the game gives me normally. But we're getting horrendously off topic.

Big spike guns that stick enemies to walls are always cool, though.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
I think Painkiller talk should be allowed. Its basically a love letter to old school FPS games.

Dominic White posted:

Big spike guns that stick enemies to walls are always cool, though.

This is why The Town is my favorite Painkiller level + tarot card challenge. Slow zombie enemies, and the requirement is to only use the stake gun? HELL YEAH. *drives 5 foot long, 6 inch diameter stakes through everything that moves*

Plus I still think the level looks really cool. Painkiller had some great "real" detailing work.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 28, 2013

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
I've always said, Painkiller is what Doom 3 should have been. :colbert:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Zero Star posted:

Neither game (Doom 3 or Painkiller) had a satisfying double barreled shotgun, so neither game is a true Doom game. Resurrection of Evil doesn't count. :colbert:

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Neither game (Doom 3 or Painkiller) had a satisfying double barreled shotgun, so neither game is a true Doom game. Resurrection of Evil doesn't count. :colbert:

I do like Painkillers, but its got 1 out of the 3 right:

1. Looks (yeah)
2. Sound (ehh)
3. Damage/Destruction (ehh)

RAGE's shotgun is basically perfection.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 28, 2013

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The sound in Painkiller is perfect, what are you talking about. :colbert:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I just realized that my parameters prevent Doom, itself, from being considered a Doom game.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

RAGE's weapons are basically perfection.

Fixed that for you. I would kill to see them further develop RAGE, and idtech5. And then use it to remake Hexen, and also Strife. With the ever dropping price of RAM, and the new generation of consoles packing lots of it, its Megatexture model is going to make for some AMAZING games, that either have little to no streaming off the storage media once the game does its first load, or extremely high resolutions.

Couple that with the nice circular Bethesda level design (something that is gamey but so much less infuriating than backtracking across an entire level to get back to the hub world.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zero Star posted:

Doom 64 is Doom 3 :colbert:

About sticking things to walls: I remember there was a blurb on the back of the Quake 64 game box about nailing your enemies to the wall. One lying jerk even told me he once did it! It took me years to figure out that it's not something you can do :argh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I just realized that my parameters prevent Doom, itself, from being considered a Doom game.

Only Doom II! Hah!

That said, the double barrel supershotty was like... easily the most satisfying weapon in the game.

It wouldn't have been AS good in Doom 3 because you'd lack the superfast sliding on ice movements that made it so easy to slide up and blast somebody in the face and then slide off before you get hit, but it'd still be nice.

drat iD, why no supershotgun in Doom 3?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

drat iD, why no supershotgun in Doom 3?

I think they added it in the expansion, but its spread was just so crazy-wide, and the basic movement speed so low that it lost much of its utility. I don't remember it sounding too beefy, either.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I'm pretty sure you got the double-barreled shotgun near the end of Doom 3, maybe after returning from Hell?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Toilet Rascal
Nope. The last weapon in the base game is the Soul Cube that you get in Hell.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Dominic White posted:

I think they added it in the expansion, but its spread was just so crazy-wide, and the basic movement speed so low that it lost much of its utility. I don't remember it sounding too beefy, either.

It's a lot better in the BFG Edition. Your character is fast enough when running that making swing shots is pretty easy.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I'm having trouble getting past M2 in Marathon (Bigger Guns Nearby) because I get surrounded by S'phts in one of the rooms that come out of the hallway I go through. It seems like you can lure them out with shots from the assault rifle or something but I'm not sure if that will work.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Toilet Rascal
Yeah, that should work. You should be able to trigger one on each side of you and deal with them, then move on and engage the contents of the room with no one sneaking up behind you.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

You mean the corridor where the S'pht drop down from the ceiling? That bit surprised me on so many replays. If I remember, this is a good place for simultaneous bullet and grenade spam from the rifle since the hall is small enough to get full use of both triggers but has enough buffer space that you shouldn't frag yourself.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
The regular shotgun in Doom 3 is more like the super shotgun from Doom 2 than it is like anything else. Ludicrously short range, powerful enough to kill even some medium sized enemies in one shot at point blank range, and slow as hell to refire.

gooby on rails posted:

Yeah, that should work. You should be able to trigger one on each side of you and deal with them, then move on and engage the contents of the room with no one sneaking up behind you.
Yeah, it's technically possible to run into that room guns blazing and survive, but luring the S'pht out by running underneath and then immediately running back is definitely the way to go. That's how I beat it on total carnage.

Lork fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 1, 2013

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

Mak0rz posted:

Doom 64 is Doom 3 :colbert:

About sticking things to walls: I remember there was a blurb on the back of the Quake 64 game box about nailing your enemies to the wall. One lying jerk even told me he once did it! It took me years to figure out that it's not something you can do :argh:
I never believe blurbs on the back of the box.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I think Painkiller talk should be allowed. Its basically a love letter to old school FPS games.

This is why The Town is my favorite Painkiller level + tarot card challenge. Slow zombie enemies, and the requirement is to only use the stake gun? HELL YEAH. *drives 5 foot long, 6 inch diameter stakes through everything that moves*

Plus I still think the level looks really cool. Painkiller had some great "real" detailing work.

Oh god, yes. This was one of the levels on (one of) its demos. It was a no brainer purchase from within a few moments of play.

Did anyone else turn off the battle music, out of interest? I found the creepy, atmospheric soundtrack far superior. I'm not really much of one for metal's modern incarnation anyway.

MasonF posted:

I never believe blurbs on the back of the box.

To be fair it doesn't actually say that you can nail things to the wall - it's just like an exclamation to start off the blurb. It's certainly misleading though.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 1, 2013

dark1x
Sep 11, 2012

it's payback time

Zero Star posted:

Can't agree with you there. Painkiller subscribes to the Serious Sam formula by presenting a series of wide open, flat rooms and hallways flooded with waves of enemies. This is not how Doom was designed to play. Doom focused more on "unlocking" the map through finding key cards. Those cards, however, were not simply random items that you would find lying about, rather, the end result to essentially "solving" each combat scenario. There were times when you would clearly see a key right at the beginning of the map and you would have to spend 15 minutes figuring out how to actually get TO that key in order to unlock the next section. Enemies were not always encountered in large numbers and the levels demanded exploration.

Serious Sam and Painkiller were linear games that focused on throwing enemies at you constantly. None of the intricate map design you could find in Doom (or Quake 1, for that matter) made an appearance in any of those games.

I think it's an important distinction to make. I've enjoyed Sam and Painkiller myself, but they are not replacements for Doom.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I'm replaying the Marathon series and they must have changed something in aleph one because I no longer get motion sickness from playing it. Also the change in graphical fidelity from m1 to m2 is amazing.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

dark1x posted:

Can't agree with you there. Painkiller subscribes to the Serious Sam formula by presenting a series of wide open, flat rooms and hallways flooded with waves of enemies. This is not how Doom was designed to play. Doom focused more on "unlocking" the map through finding key cards. Those cards, however, were not simply random items that you would find lying about, rather, the end result to essentially "solving" each combat scenario. There were times when you would clearly see a key right at the beginning of the map and you would have to spend 15 minutes figuring out how to actually get TO that key in order to unlock the next section. Enemies were not always encountered in large numbers and the levels demanded exploration.

Serious Sam and Painkiller were linear games that focused on throwing enemies at you constantly. None of the intricate map design you could find in Doom (or Quake 1, for that matter) made an appearance in any of those games.

I think it's an important distinction to make. I've enjoyed Sam and Painkiller myself, but they are not replacements for Doom.

Thank you. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one, yet i could never fully articulate why serious sam didn't feel like doom at all to me. :v:

Still a superb game regardless.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Finally other people that feel the same way when others prescribe Serious Sam or Painkiller as solutions for a modern-day Doom. :swoon:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Toilet Rascal

0 rows returned posted:

I'm replaying the Marathon series and they must have changed something in aleph one because I no longer get motion sickness from playing it. Also the change in graphical fidelity from m1 to m2 is amazing.

The Xbox version was specifically tweaked to help with that, but if you're on the computer version I'm not sure what would have changed. Maybe the horrible mouse input code has been improved recently.

The jump from 2 to Infinity is also a drastic improvement IMO, but not so much through tech as through more realistic art direction that has always appealed to me more.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Serious Sam isn't a modern day Doom, but that doesn't stop it from being fun as gently caress.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I've played quite a few Doom mods and levels which are effectively straight linear advances with no maze-like elements or poking around for arbitrary secrets. It still manages to feel like Doom more often than not due to the rhythm of the combat. You're the fastest, most powerful thing on the battlefield, but one or two solid hits can wreck you. Speed and maneuverability at your main defensive attributes, and just backpedalling like Serious Sam doesn't help much, as many of your guns are either wide hitscan (shotguns) or slow projectiles (rockets, plasma) that enemies can easily move away from, so the best place to be fighting is right up close.

Serious Sam effectively gives you timed combat encounters. You've got X monsters approaching you from Y distance, and they'll all slightly faster than you can run backwards, so you have until either they catch up or you hit a wall to safely throw artillery down-range and thin out the herd safely.

Key-hunts in Doom might stick in the mind, but they're not really gameplay - they're just arbitrary colored points at key (ha) points in a given level. They're window dressing. Remove them and just make the level a long, linear stretch of setpieces and you'd have the same effect, so long as the combat was up to par.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Dominic White posted:

Key-hunts in Doom might stick in the mind, but they're not really gameplay

Sure they are. Figuring out how to progress through the map was a significant part of much of the original id campaigns.

dark1x
Sep 11, 2012

it's payback time

Dominic White posted:

Key-hunts in Doom might stick in the mind, but they're not really gameplay - they're just arbitrary colored points at key (ha) points in a given level. They're window dressing. Remove them and just make the level a long, linear stretch of setpieces and you'd have the same effect, so long as the combat was up to par.
Completely wrong.

Those "keys" could be replaced with anything but they still represent a point which you must reach by exploring the level. These keys are not always placed in obvious spots and you will not always run across them simply by shooting. Their placement is not arbitrary.

The best Doom levels are those which slowly peel back layers of the map as you throw swithces and find keys. You don't simply blow through an area and move on to the next, no, you return to areas you've already traversed finding new challenges and new paths along the way. You could enter a map with the exit door placed just in front of the entrance and then spend the rest of your time there trying to figure out how to open the passage way to that exit. The environments are built to explore rather than simply jogging through them blasting everything in sight. The keys are, dare I say, analogous to the power ups in a Metroid game in that you will find areas early on that must be returned to later with the appropriate trigger item.

I feel this is a very important distinction that Pain Killer and Serious Sam both lack. Doom is not a mindless corridor shooter.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Meh I just compare any Doom like game to Quake, there anything better to compare to for full 3d doom like?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Geight posted:

Finally other people that feel the same way when others prescribe Serious Sam or Painkiller as solutions for a modern-day Doom. :swoon:

People aren't really talking about the level design when they say that, though. It's more the gun feel and whatnot that's similar.

On a related note, holy poo poo Hell Revealed II is impossible, even on HMP. It's actually slightly easier with Brutal than without, but the arch-vile on MAP01 after the huge crowd of enemies at the start always fucks me up.

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song

gooby on rails posted:

The Xbox version was specifically tweaked to help with that, but if you're on the computer version I'm not sure what would have changed. Maybe the horrible mouse input code has been improved recently.

The jump from 2 to Infinity is also a drastic improvement IMO, but not so much through tech as through more realistic art direction that has always appealed to me more.

Original Marathon was designed to run at a 90 degree FOV. We emergency patched the Xbox game to add a 110 degree FOV option.

You can run Aleph One at native resolutions, and it'll actually adjust the view window. It won't change the FOV, but it'll make it less cramped (you will see more in widescreen than 4:3, just like the Xbox version).

It's widely believed that Motion sickness is caused by a narrow FOV. That and sometimes the weapon bob and camera bob effects can contribute.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Please don't play HR2 with brutal doom.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Chumps play Serious Sam by endlessly backpedaling. Real men play the game like Doom, rarely leaving the thick of battle. Dispatching 50 or 60 Kleer with nothing but a point-blank double-barreled shotgun is like a ballet; the enemies are dangerous but rhythmic (and thus predictable).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Unless you play Serious Sam BFE wich forces you to backpedal due to lovely design overall. I can't believe they hosed up so much that game when they nailed TFE and TSE :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Toilet Rascal

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Chumps play Serious Sam by endlessly backpedaling. Real men play the game like Doom, rarely leaving the thick of battle. Dispatching 50 or 60 Kleer with nothing but a point-blank double-barreled shotgun is like a ballet; the enemies are dangerous but rhythmic (and thus predictable).

Good luck doing that with kamikazes involved, though.