Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue font
Feb 28, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is shadow hearts any good?

I'm playing through Rogue Galaxy right now, holy drat this is good.

I haven't played the first, but I love the second and third. You can't get around the fact that the third is a bit lackluster in some ways, but if you like the combat system I still highly recommend playing it. In SH2 you get to a point where you can sleep through the battles, but in SH3 the combat stays challenging and tactically interesting throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Shadow Hearts 1 is super boring and has really ugly art. About the only thing I remember from it is the old lady telling the SPOOKY STORY with all the "shloooop" bits. 2 is fantastic, and is reminiscent of Final Fantasy 6 with the characters' unique abilities in battle, and the loads (and loads) of poo poo to do on the side.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SH1 was an early PS2 RPG and it shows. SH2 is better in almost every way but is improved somewhat if you went through SH1 first. (Up to and including them literally giving away SH1 with SH2 when it was first released.)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
SH1 still has a lot of charm of its own and some pretty interesting character development. Plus pretty much everything in SH2 makes more sense after you've played the first part.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Just picked up Risen and I'm about an hour in. I'm enjoying it so far. Can anyone recommend similar games aside from the Gothic series? Perhaps with a bit more character customization? I'm not particularly fond of being forced to play a male, but it's not that big of a deal. I have played both Witcher games as well.

You could try Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga, it's kind of a halfway point between Gothic/Risen and a Diablo style action RPG.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ImpAtom posted:

SH1 was an early PS2 RPG and it shows. SH2 is better in almost every way but is improved somewhat if you went through SH1 first. (Up to and including them literally giving away SH1 with SH2 when it was first released.)

SH2 does a great job of refining the gameplay mechanics an absolute shitload while simultaneously taking a massive poo poo on absolutely everything that made Shadow Hearts a good game.

EDIT: The best thing SH2's story does is (ending spoilers)write itself out of existence.

I realize my opinion is in the minority, and I'm okay with that. I just really did not like SH2. Which is a shame, because SH1 is still one of my favorite games.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 1, 2013

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Should I play the PS1 game that serves as a semi prequel to SH1?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's very mediocre.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I wouldn't bother, it will feel very dated and was never that good to begin with. It's also only very loosely related, they did not expect people buying Shadow Hearts to have played Koudelka. I'd suggest going back and trying it if you really enjoy the series.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Mediocre is doing it too much of a favour. It's pretty awful, really.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

SH2 does a great job of refining the gameplay mechanics an absolute shitload while simultaneously taking a massive poo poo on absolutely everything that made Shadow Hearts a good game.

EDIT: The best thing SH2's story does is (ending spoilers)write itself out of existence.

I realize my opinion is in the minority, and I'm okay with that. I just really did not like SH2. Which is a shame, because SH1 is still one of my favorite games.

I pretty much agree with this.

I couldn't stand that SH2 and 3 ramped up the silly to an absurd level, SH1 had a really good balance and they really messed it up in the sequels.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
I'm looking for JRPGs that take place in (roughly) modern day. I really like the Personas and Earthbound / Mother 3, and want to find more games that do away with fantasy medieval anime settings. I've also played Nocturne and most other SMT games. Any suggestions? Preferably for a portable system or something older, although PS3 is fine too.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

The World Ends With You or Shenmue come to mind. JRPGs don't tend to take place in the mundane modern world because that's not really considered a particularly compelling setting. Everything I can think of that's "modern" is actually just futuristic.

edit: Parasite Eve series

Dross fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 1, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DeathBySpoon posted:

I'm looking for JRPGs that take place in (roughly) modern day. I really like the Personas and Earthbound / Mother 3, and want to find more games that do away with fantasy medieval anime settings. I've also played Nocturne and most other SMT games. Any suggestions? Preferably for a portable system or something older, although PS3 is fine too.

Try Parasite Eve 1 and 2. Dear god stay away from PE3.

They're available on the PSN so PS3 or PSP are both choices.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

Wasn't 2 really weird too, though? I mean, not like "clothes falling off because you're taking damage" weird but "not at all what you were expecting if you wanted PE1's gameplay again" weird.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

They're available on the PSN so PS3 or PSP are both choices.

The Third Birthday is fun to play at least. Just... don't even try to follow the story.

The White Dragon posted:

Wasn't 2 really weird too, though? I mean, not like "clothes falling off because you're taking damage" weird but "not at all what you were expecting if you wanted PE1's gameplay again" weird.

PE2 is straight up Resident Evil, and loses what made the first a lot of fun.

SSJ Reeko fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 1, 2013

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
PE2 is more survival horror than RPG but its good in its own right.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

It's a Resident Evil clone but that doesn't keep it from being the better game of the pair.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It still had a lot of the same RPG elements the first game did, it mostly got rid of the turn-based combat. It's really good, though.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Sweet, will try PE1. I forgot to mention I've played TWEWY as well, and loved it. Scifi-ish stuff is cool too, really- the closer to modern day the better, though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

GreenBuckanneer posted:

No, but read the LP in the archive. The gameplay is awful, but the setting and characters are the best in the series, plus one of the characters is important to the plot of SH1.

King of Solomon posted:

The plot isn't perfect mainly because of everything dealing with Karin being Yuri's mother, that was stupid and made Karin such a ridiculously weak character not to mention it being really creepy. Otherwise I still really love how SH2 maintained a tongue in cheek tone that was genuinely funny for the most part instead of feeling like its was trying too hard while still having its serious moments. 3 was definitely in the step in the totally wrong direction though and felt like more a generic JRPG, still a good game though.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 2, 2013

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It did look really good for a PS1 game, but played horribly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

It's a pretty different game. It's a lot closer to Resident Evil with RPG mechanics than the Vagrant Storyesque mechanics of the first game, but it's still pretty good. Like RE it's also designed for speedruns and gimmick playthroughs. There's a whole bunch of unlockable modes and weapons and poo poo.

As far as Koudelka goes, it is... also Resident Evil with RPG mechanics. Unfortunately unlike PE2 it kinda skews weirdly with them and includes a lot of stuff which really only makes sense in a survival horror context. It's got a really interesting atmosphere and fun characters but the gameplay is really hurt by being a subpar RPG.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 2, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dross posted:

The World Ends With You or Shenmue come to mind. JRPGs don't tend to take place in the mundane modern world because that's not really considered a particularly compelling setting. Everything I can think of that's "modern" is actually just futuristic.

edit: Parasite Eve series

Shenmue is more of an adventure game than a JRPG. drat good one, though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DeathBySpoon posted:

Sweet, will try PE1. I forgot to mention I've played TWEWY as well, and loved it. Scifi-ish stuff is cool too, really- the closer to modern day the better, though.

Not a JRPG in the slightest but Alpha Protocol is an excellent game set in the now. Game-play wise it's somewhere between the first two Mass Effects, but the joy is conversations, and as long as you only put points in one weapon, you'll do fine.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Last Remnant (PC Version)

I'm dealing with a boatload of quests and item requests before I take a boat to Melphina see the leader of a city. After doing some quests I unlocked some enough people to have an entire party of unique units. Some are a bit expensive to hire to just plop them on the bench, though.

Who thought it was a good idea to have one of Violet's item requests be a Pink quality item? It's a rare split from an enemy you have to capture - and capturing is pretty rare as well! Will she eventually get over it and start asking for something else, or is she going to be stuck asking for that until I grind out who knows how many?

Is there any way to tell how many of such item the party member needs?

Is it ever a good idea to engage dragons in a fight? I'm BR 22 and I found a named one in the desert. It was a very long, grueling fight lasting at least 22 turns, lots of revives, a use of both Omnistrike and Ex Machina, andI got it down into the flashing red health zone once, but I had to back off and heal, and then it did the same for 44,000+ HP. After a lot more grinding, I got it down to flashing red again, but was wiped out by another Vulcanbreath. I know there's advice to not all engage an enemy at once, but sometimes you don't get the option to not fight.

Should I split captured unique monsters or sell them?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm thinking of buying Dark Souls- how would you say it's weighted between gameplay and story? I get that it's difficult (and I'm a pretty casual gamer, I'll admit), but if a game's story is good enough, any amount of difficulty would be worth it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The story is presented very minimalistically, but it's surprisingly deep. There isn't really much in the way of dialogue or exposition and you don't get much of an explanation for anything. It's told mostly through the items you find and the environments you see, often in places that are optional and not somewhere you actually need to go. If you're not willing to take the time for that, you probably won't enjoy it. If you do, though, you'll find that it's actually a really fleshed-out setting with some surprising twists that aren't at all obvious if you just rush through the main game.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
If you don't pay close attention, you would probably think Dark Souls has no story. If you dig into it, though, there is an incredibly rich world lore. I personally think it's better this way, because it actually feels like you're exploring a real world instead of being moved from one exposition event to another.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Who thought it was a good idea to have one of Violet's item requests be a Pink quality item? It's a rare split from an enemy you have to capture - and capturing is pretty rare as well! Will she eventually get over it and start asking for something else, or is she going to be stuck asking for that until I grind out who knows how many?

I still haven't figured out how it all works but sometimes you can get a weapon upgrade without having all of the needed pieces. Basically every upgrade has a BR requirement so you can't upgrade until you hit that anyway.

But I also had a character who was just stuck with a lovely weapon all game because he'd never upgrade it. So who knows.

quote:

Is it ever a good idea to engage dragons in a fight? I'm BR 22 and I found a named one in the desert. It was a very long, grueling fight lasting at least 22 turns, lots of revives, a use of both Omnistrike and Ex Machina, andI got it down into the flashing red health zone once, but I had to back off and heal, and then it did the same for 44,000+ HP. After a lot more grinding, I got it down to flashing red again, but was wiped out by another Vulcanbreath. I know there's advice to not all engage an enemy at once, but sometimes you don't get the option to not fight.

Fighting harder enemies is great. Stat gain is much better per BR rank on harder enemies, AND your BR goes up slower the more times a unit dies in a fight.

As far as splitting goes, split them if you (or anyone else) needs the components. Keep them to sell otherwise, you can always use more money.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

I think they automatically upgrade once your BR gets to a certain point. I never really used Violet, so I dunno what point that'll be for her. On the plus side, monster splits get automagically added to party members who need them. So if you do capture an enemy with the required component, you'll get the parts from the split and Violet will get the same number.

Is there any way to tell how many of such item the party member needs?
If you mean how many they currently have and how many more they need, then no.

I tend to stay away from dragons til I have a full roster. You can then split into 5 groups and get those sweet flanking attacks to make the fight easier.

Depends on which you need more, the parts they split into or the money they sell for. Most times the splits are more useful, but sometimes you already have their goodies and could use the extra cash.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

One of the most important things to remember about any large or boss-type enemy is that they only attack unions that are deadlocked with them, except when using their bullshit special attacks at the end or start of a round. So it's a perfectly good idea to break deadlock with all your engaged unions except for one, and then heal everyone up (using another union to heal the deadlocked union as well). That keeps the enemy deadlocked and unable to attack your other unions, and it keeps you from getting raidlocked and losing a bunch of morale at the same time. You can also use that time to build your AP with the free unions so they can really tear it up when they re-engage.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

You're talking about purple Divain rawhide aren't you? Have you actually tried to get it yet or just looking at the drop rates on the wiki? I'm around the same point you are playing it again and this material is actually insanely easy to get. Go to the Great Sand Sea, tons of em. Capturing is like a 15% drop there. And with the way drops work it's significantly more common than you would think for 15%. Check the wiki if you want more info on how drops work and poo poo but basically the more monsters you kill in a battle the better and there are tons of them here. As far as 3% split, I don't know, seems like it's wrong to me. I don't really split Divains anymore but it seems like it's always in there. Maybe I'm just really lucky.

Another thing I've noticed with that is with Rares that have a 5% split for a really rare component. I almost always get them, I can't imagine it is really 5%.

Ed; If you get frustrated with that you can go hunt this down instead: http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/Skoll (respawnable) or http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/Fatal_Fang (not respawnable, but you are guaranteed a capture). Both have the rawhide at 20% for the split. And the list for splits is actually determined over 10 rolls.

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 2, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Megaflare posted:

You're talking about purple Divain rawhide aren't you? Have you actually tried to get it yet or just looking at the drop rates on the wiki?

No, I tried it, I spent like 10-15 minutes fighting those Divains in the Great Sand Sea, even trying to get huge chains of like 6 groups. Getting a capture at all was uncommon and of all the captures, I split only a single purple Divain rawhide dropped (and I still don't know how many she needed). So I decided to postpone the hunt and go look for some of the other, more common things my party members were whining about.

I'll go try again later now that I've got the hang of the technique to get huge chains. (Is there a difference between the Divans in the Great Sand Sea and the ones in Dillmoor? I just spent another bunch of time trying to get big chains in Dillmoor, there were only a half-dozen captures, none would split into the rawhide.)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 2, 2013

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
Can anyone recommend an RPG along similar lines as Dark Souls or Dragons Dogma? I enjoyed both, particularly Dark Souls with its excellent slow paced combat and high difficulty; I find combat in other skill based action games like Devil May Cry 4 too fast paced and flashy to wrap my head around. The combat in Dragons Dogma didn't feel quite as tactical but I loved the sense of danger when exploring the world, particularly at the start of the game.

To counter some obvious suggestions, I'd love to play Demons Souls but I don't own a PS3 and I have played The Witcher 2 but I found the combat a bit too floaty and imprecise; it's definitely a good game but I ultimately had to stop playing it because it just made me want to play more Dark Souls.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ouroboros posted:

Can anyone recommend an RPG along similar lines as Dark Souls or Dragons Dogma? I enjoyed both, particularly Dark Souls with its excellent slow paced combat and high difficulty; I find combat in other skill based action games like Devil May Cry 4 too fast paced and flashy to wrap my head around. The combat in Dragons Dogma didn't feel quite as tactical but I loved the sense of danger when exploring the world, particularly at the start of the game.

To counter some obvious suggestions, I'd love to play Demons Souls but I don't own a PS3 and I have played The Witcher 2 but I found the combat a bit too floaty and imprecise; it's definitely a good game but I ultimately had to stop playing it because it just made me want to play more Dark Souls.

The Monster Hunter series has similar slow-paced combat that punishes you if you go in swinging wildly and rewards planning, although it's not precisely what you're looking for if you want the somewhat open world and sense of exploration that Dark Souls provides. Unfortunately Dark Souls is somewhat of an anomaly in the RPG world.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

No, I tried it, I spent like 10-15 minutes fighting those Divains in the Great Sand Sea, even trying to get huge chains of like 6 groups. Getting a capture at all was uncommon and of all the captures, I split only a single purple Divain rawhide dropped (and I still don't know how many she needed). So I decided to postpone the hunt and go look for some of the other, more common things my party members were whining about.

I'll go try again later now that I've got the hang of the technique to get huge chains. (Is there a difference between the Divans in the Great Sand Sea and the ones in Dillmoor? I just spent another bunch of time trying to get big chains in Dillmoor, there were only a half-dozen captures, none would split into the rawhide.)

You'll probably be happy to know that she only needs one of those, then. And yes the same monster's drops/percentages can change depending on where they are. However, the split table will always be the same. In this case, Dillmoor apparently has two types of Divain spawns. One has the same 15% capture chance and the other is only 3%. There's no specific information on how to tell between them though so I'd stick to the sea if you continue with that.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I'm playing rogue galaxy and right now all the enemies are super hard.

I'm In the prison level and my highest level character is 17. 12, 17, 11, 11, 13, 13

Enemies are only giving 1xp per battle, so I can't exactly level up faster unless I want to grind, A LOT.

For whatever reason, when I see a creature for the first time, I get like massive amounts of xp at once, then it peters off to 1. Is this normal? Is this the level I should be at?

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
I thought there was a Banner Saga thread but I couldn't find it, so I'll ask here: anyone else tried it? They released a free multiplayer beta and I'm now really looking forward to the single player game. Really like the art style.

http://stoicstudio.com/forum/the-banner-saga-factions.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I'd seen the Kickstarter project, thanks for linking this. I had no idea it had gone this far, but I remember enjoying the art style.