Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Credit is when you have access to money you can borrow, i.e. potential debt. A creditor is someone to whom money is owed. That money is still called a debt, I think, except it's owed to you instead of you owing it.

I wasn't thinking about it that deeply. The opposite of debt is credit. Looking at a thesaurus that is one of the antonyms anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

b0nes posted:

How does it work when people sell things that they made at home on Etsy when they are emulating stuff that has patents and copyrights already?

Well, it is blatant copyright infringement as you describe. The question is if the copyright holder has both found the source (the etsy vendor) and cares enough about the potential damages due to lost profit to sue. In etsy terms, it probably will not show up on the corporate radar unless the vendor is making megabucks. If you're worried about this as a buyer, I think that you should not worry about buying a random Firefly T-shirt.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Hoops posted:

For an example, remember all the talk about investors buying "toxic debts" from banks during the sub-prime mortgage. You can take ownership of a "debt", and then the loanee will owe you that debt.

Etsy's really branching out it seems.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

b0nes posted:

How does it work when people sell things that they made at home on Etsy when they are emulating stuff that has patents and copyrights already?
It's infringement but nobody has bothered to send them a cease & desist letter yet.

Edit: To chime in on the opposite of a debt. I'd go with "asset." A debt being something which you may at some time pay for, and an asset being something which you may at some time convert to money.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 1, 2013

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Sieg posted:

I wasn't thinking about it that deeply. The opposite of debt is credit. Looking at a thesaurus that is one of the antonyms anyway.

From a strict accounting sense, it's not though. Credit and debit are antonyms of each other, and while debit and debt are kind of related in an abstract sense they're not the same. One way of looking at it is that the borrower has a liability, and the lender has an asset. I can't really think of a good word to fill in the blank of what the OP's asking for. Credit isn't strictly correct, but I can't think of a better one, and I think your point would be understood if you were to use it in that way regardless.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Baron Bifford posted:

I think there ought to be a proper antonym. "I always pay my debts" and "I always collect on my debts" - this feels contradictory.

But it's the same thing. If I owe you a beer, you don't want the opposite of a beer when it comes time to even up.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
What's the best way to somewhat manually create a google earth KML file?

I used to use a website called https://www.gpsvisualizer.com and a windows app called gpsbabel a lot 4 or 5 years back when I played around with creating gpslogs on windows phones and made kmls and all sorts of other stuff with those OZI file logs. But I already had that data in an OZI file format and it was just a matter of converting. I'm finding nothing really for what I want to do.

What I have now is, we went on a cruise, and every so often I would take a screenshot on my phone of a gps app that shows lat/long, speed, heading, date & time or there was also a channel on our stateroom TV that showed all that same info and I'd sometimes take a picture of that instead of using my app.

I'd like to easily (not manually create some csv file) enter this info into some kind of app or webapp that will generate a kml.

Also, we crossed timezones twice (started cst, spent most of the time in est, went back to cst) all of my screenshots or pictures reflect the timechange but I assume I'd want to correct all the time data to one timezone so there aren't any points where it looks like the ship is going thousands of mph.

and yes I realize this is a spergy thing to do on a cruise and that the cruise line probably has some wack-rear end 200x200 jpg file of the course I can get from their website but I want a KML! and like I told my wife, if you're not the least bit in to and appreciating the fact that we're moving around the huge-rear end poo poo-stabbing ocean we might as well just be in a fancy hotel

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 1, 2013

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

If you think it may be a scam, it is a scam. Deal local, in cash, and write up a bill of sale. Colleague sold his car on CL years ago and recently got a call from a collection company because the car he sold was never re-titled, had many parking tickets, had been towed and stored for 90 days then crushed.

From the last page, but worth mentioning: Always report your sale to the DMV. WA has an online form that you can fill out, and it basically releases you from being the owner of record. I got burned by this once when I was much younger, never again.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Crimpanzee posted:

I just made a thread about an annoying situation and it got moved for being too longwinded so maybe I should have started here.

TLDR; Frontier has been overcharging the wrong credit card while failing to provided service as described. Will telling my bank to stop accepting charges from them screw up my credit/ get me sued and am I right to demand a refund.

Deatils here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3536218

I am not a lawyer, banker, credit merchant, or representative of an ISP. Take the following as it is presented: advice from some guy on the internet.

Call you credit card company and ask for the charges to be suspended/reversed. My card allows me to do this online. This should put the charges into a state of 'dispute'. It doesn't mean you aren't responsible for the charges, but it should put a hold on the bills. Frontier doesn't get paid, and you don't get charged. Yet.

Contact Frontier customer service. Everyday if necessary. Open a problem ticket and get a confirmation number. Ask to go directly to the billing department. Make someone listen to you. Ask for the next highest person each time you call until it is resolved. Get their names, first and last or an ID number. And be ready to set aside an hour each day, and be ready to repeat the same crap each time. You want results? Make them get on a first name basis with you. They win if you give up. Every month that you accept the answer of "It'll be fixed next time", is another charge to the wrong account.

That being said, DO NOT BE AN rear end in a top hat TO THE CSR! That first person who answers the phone? They didn't cause this problem, and in all likely hood the can't fix it. Be patient, have all of your facts straight, be firm but polite. Anything else just gets everyone worked up. And I will freely admit to hanging up on customers who start off their phone call by yelling.

I didn't read the whole thread you started, but your complaints seem legit. As it stands, it sounds like they are billing you the top tier price but have not increased your speed any (but how are you checking that? How can you prove it if they say "yup, you've got the faster connection"). Check to see what package they have you listed under on file. They may be billing you for the $50/month because that's what their computer says to do.

But, if they did agree to change your credit card on file, bill you at the lower rate, and refund you for three months worth of overcharges, you are entirely within your rights to demand a refund. The trick is proving it, and since this company swooped in and took over for some satellite company, it could be a long drawn out phone battle.

All other things being equal, disputing a claim on your credit card shouldn't affect your credit rating. Cancelling your credit card could. Since from your description these are legitimate complaints, it shouldn't have a negative effect.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why do photos from the middle east and some parts of Asia always seem to have such a blown out look and over saturated colors?

Johnny Got His Gunt
Aug 19, 2008

I can't stop thinking about Dr. House's huge, throbbing...diagnostic skills.
I bought this at the local head shop and I'm wondering what the hell it represents. It can't be nazi related because there's a star of David in the wreath. Can anybody please tell me where it's from and what it represents?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Johnny Got His Gunt fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 1, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

NESguerilla posted:

Why do photos from the middle east and some parts of Asia always seem to have such a blown out look and over saturated colors?

A lot of the time people just have lovely cameras at hand. Cell phone cameras are pretty commonly poo poo, even in high end smartphones.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Install Gentoo posted:

A lot of the time people just have lovely cameras at hand. Cell phone cameras are pretty commonly poo poo, even in high end smartphones.

I should have specified, but I was referring more to professional photography. Like how all of the photos of food at divey Chinese restaurants look like they are from the 60's.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

NESguerilla posted:

I should have specified, but I was referring more to professional photography. Like how all of the photos of food at divey Chinese restaurants look like they are from the 60's.

Despite the relatively recent trend of people taking pictures of food in restaurants, the lighting isn't usually the best for taking snapshots. Especially in divey places. Or, perhaps more to the point, if you are talking about the picture menus located inside said divey Chinese food places, they're cheap stock photos, probably from the late 80's and from the supplier/franchise office.

Crimpanzee
Jan 11, 2011

Thanks for the reply, I can't prove anything about the speed other than that I check it on speakeasy.net 5 years ago and I've checked it again on the same site since they claimed to have increased it and it's the same. Opening a dispute on the card first is probably the right thing to do.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Johnny Got His Gunt posted:

I bought this at the local head shop and I'm wondering what the hell it represents. It can't be nazi related because there's a star of David in the wreath. Can anybody please tell me where it's from and what it represents?

My guess would be Israel Defense Forces for obvious reasons. Wings imply a pilot or flight crew. I wasn't able to find anything quite like that though. I thought the insignia on the shield was a caduceus as first, but I don't think that's right. The crossed things in the back look a little like lightning bolts, so maybe its a radioman or electrician insignia?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
It might not be anything considering it came from a head shop.

I googled for a bit and it doesn't look like anything the IDF uses.

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003

Johnny Got His Gunt posted:

Post WWII Command Pilot Wings - USAF Master Navigator/Observer
http://www.emedals.com/collectors-g...-wings?vmcchk=1
Not sure why it has a six pointed star.

My turn : For some reason, every once in a while the buttons on my mouse start doing the wrong action when I am in Chrome. Like, ALL 3 buttons will close tabs, and right clicking opens new links, and always in a new tab... It's loving irritating, and I usually have to reboot to get it back to normal. The thing is - the buttons continue to work perfectly in all other software. The hell?

KittyLitter fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 2, 2013

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

greazeball posted:

But it's the same thing. If I owe you a beer, you don't want the opposite of a beer when it comes time to even up.
You are on beer in debt, and I am owed a debt of one beer. If you owed me money, I wouldn't want the opposite of money.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Baron Bifford posted:

I think there ought to be a proper antonym. "I always pay my debts" and "I always collect on my debts" - this feels contradictory.

You can't get mad about English vocabulary and demand changes. It doesn't work that way. Think of it this way. A "debt" is a chunk of money that is in the wrong hands. If I lend you money, that money is now debt. I don't have it, and you wouldn't have it unless I'd lent it to you, so it's not "your" money or "my" money. It's a lump in between known as "debt." I could say, "Bifford owes me a debt of $5." or "I have $5 debt owed to me." and you could say "I owe EPW a debt of $5" or "I have $5 of debt."

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

I'm actually surprised that the world of finance hasn't come up with an antonym for debt, since it would make sense from a bank balance sheet not to use the same term that could describe an asset and a liability.

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003

Caufman posted:

I'm actually surprised that the world of finance hasn't come up with an antonym for debt, since it would make sense from a bank balance sheet not to use the same term that could describe an asset and a liability.

Is not 'credit the antonym of debt? I have a credit of $5 which means you have a debt of $5.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

KittyLitter posted:

Is not 'credit the antonym of debt? I have a credit of $5 which means you have a debt of $5.
"Credit" is more accurately the antonym of "debit."

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
How about credt then?

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
It's like "thanks". "I owe you my thanks", "Why didn't I get any thanks", "She should have thanked me". What would the opposite of "thanks" be? Debt is just some nonnegative quantity, there is no opposite of "debt".

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009
RE: Craigslist Paypal Scam

Thanks everyone. You turned 99% sure into 100% sure. I went ahead and sent a scam warning about this person to all the people s/he participated in a "superbowl foodshare party" with. It's a bad idea to use the same email address for both legitimate and shady activities, especially when you associate a phone number with it.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

FeloniousDrunk posted:

It's like "thanks". "I owe you my thanks", "Why didn't I get any thanks", "She should have thanked me". What would the opposite of "thanks" be? Debt is just some nonnegative quantity, there is no opposite of "debt".
Again, debt refers not to what is owed, but the fact that something is owed. Strictly speaking you don't "owe" someone a debt. You owe someone money or thanks or beer, and you are then "in their debt". So in that sense "debt" belongs to the creditor. Unless you say "I need money to pay off my debts" in which case "debt" belongs to the debtor.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
DEBT TALK IS BORING ME. THIS IS NO LONGER A SMALL QUESTION. IT IS A PEDANTIC QUESTION.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Can something be watertight without being airtight? And vice versa?

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Namarrgon posted:

Can something be watertight without being airtight? And vice versa?

If it is watertight, then it is airtight as well, but not the other way around. This is due to the fact that water molecules are smaller than air (O2 and N2).

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I remember watching a music video on Goontube a year ago. It started with a guy running away from home or something and everything that followed was a set of 'What-ifs". He met a girl in a bar, they run away together but they eventually got shot? One 'What-if' in particular I remember is that the girl got drunk at the bar and then all sorts of events followed. Then they cut back to the bar and they showed the guy getting drunk and everything that happened then.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

TATPants posted:

If it is watertight, then it is airtight as well, but not the other way around. This is due to the fact that water molecules are smaller than air (O2 and N2).

That's what I figured, just wondering if there are exceptions.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Namarrgon posted:

That's what I figured, just wondering if there are exceptions.

Well, maybe you could make an exception with a superhydrophobic material that might have holes that allow some air through but still repel water, but I have no idea if the chemistry actually works out for that to be possible.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

helopticor posted:

Well, maybe you could make an exception with a superhydrophobic material that might have holes that allow some air through but still repel water, but I have no idea if the chemistry actually works out for that to be possible.

What about Gore-Tex and other coating used on camping tents?

Gore Tex Propaganda posted:

The origin of waterproof and breathable GORE-TEX® outerwear, footwear, and gloves starts with five little letters: ePTFE. ePTFE, or expanded polytetrafluoroethylene, was created by Bob Gore in 1969 when he rapidly stretched PTFE under certain conditions. The result was an incredibly strong, microporous material with an amazing list of characteristics including low water adsorption and good weathering properties. By 1978, GORE-TEX® fabric was introduced and the world met the first truly waterproof, breathable outerwear.

The GORE-TEX® membrane: The secret of GORE-TEX® products -- which are both completely waterproof and completely breathable at the same time -- lies within its our revolutionary bi-component membrane. The membrane contains over 9 billion microscopic pores which are approximately 20,000 times smaller than a drop of water, but 700 times bigger than a molecule of moisture vapor. So while water in its liquid form cannot penetrate the GORE-TEX® membrane, as moisture vapor it can easily escape.

Although it seems this applies to water in two forms and specifically not "Air."

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

There also the fact that water molecules are polar, and air molecules are mostly non-polar. You might be able to have a selective barrier based on that.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011
It's probably that the path from one side of the membrane to the other is through a whole lot of really small, winding 'pipes'. When you try to make a fluid go through smaller and smaller diameter tubes, it requires greater and greater pressure to force it through. So I suppose the idea is that the conditions required to get liquid water through are much less favorable than those to allow vapor to pass (due to viscosity and density differences between the two phases). Note that they say it is 'waterproof' but it allows water vapor to pass through, thereby making it not 'waterproof' at all. Therefore Goretex simply does not allow enough water to pass through for it to be a concern. Also, a water molecule is maybe ~60% of the size of O2, so if the holes are "700 times bigger than a molecule of moisture vapor" then it drat sure can let air pass through.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What is the name and purpose of that flap at the back of the coat?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Vegetable posted:

What is the name and purpose of that flap at the back of the coat?

The purpose is ventilation so you don't get swamp back.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

The purpose is ventilation so you don't get swamp back.

I would say it's more so you're not wearing what is essentially a tube dress and limiting your mobility significantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MILTONS COD
Dec 30, 2006

The heart of standing is we cannot fly.

Crankit posted:

A mod gave me a "lol sure" so here's an app which sets your system date to 1891.
http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/422937/date1891.zip

It might require C++ redistributables, and definitely needs to run as admin to work. It also causes some apps to crash!
Your deceased relatives may rise from the grave and want a cake large enough for 160 candles.

Wow, this actually completely fixed the problem I was having. Thanks!