Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I don't have 11, but if this happened in 10, I'd play the file, go back to the view where I can't see it, then hit Ctrl-L which snaps to wherever the file is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Where do I go in the new Itunes to see Total time/tracks etc?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

View - Show Status Bar

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Awesome, cheers. I wish all my problems were that simple.

Chemical Shift
Aug 17, 2008
I have a couple of smart playlists in iTunes, and they don't seem to update on my iPod. I have a playlist, for example, that's pulling from a Top Rated playlist that only shows songs rated 4 or 5, that haven't been played or skipped in the last week. But when I play/skip songs on that playlist on my iPod, they stay in there. I seem to recall my iPod Touch doing this before, but it might have been long before, like early iOS 5 or iOS 4 even.

Am I just missing a simple switch or something? This is on a iPod Touch 4G, with Windows 7 x64 with the latest version of iTunes and iOS

Edit: I should mention, they do update once I sync my iPod to iTunes, just not before that.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

DangerKat posted:

Use an external metadata editor like MkvtoMp4.

That's what I'm going to do. I was hoping there was a way in iTunes that didn't involve it making GBS threads itself and dying.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

I downloaded the new iOS through iTunes, it failed to update my iPhone because "an unknown error occurred", and it forced me to restore my phone. Great job!

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Juche Couture posted:

I downloaded the new iOS through iTunes, it failed to update my iPhone because "an unknown error occurred", and it forced me to restore my phone. Great job!

Good story.

Any reason you didn't do OTA or attempt to ask anyone for advice before blowing away your phone and complaining?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Juche Couture posted:

It also makes a backup of your phone before doing the update, so you could roll back if you wanted to.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

After the update iTunes displayed the following message: "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes." I did so, and attempted to restore from backup (I had two options - one just named after my phone and one with a date and time before the update attempt - I've tried both). However, all that appears on the phone is 0.84GB of 'other'.

Edit: VVV yeah, that's been my experience with previous backups. This time it failed to save anything, though. It's not the end of the world but jeez what a pain.

Juche Couture fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 2, 2013

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I don't think backups include apps and media because that would just be redundant. It takes the media back from your library on your next sync. The backup saves your settings and stuff like texts and phone logs I believe. Which is good, because I keep my 64 gig phone full of videos and music, so if it had to back up all that on my MBPr I'd fill up my SSD pretty quick.

rasser
Jul 2, 2003
So, I've read this thread's last 18-20 pages - since summer 2011. I haven't been able to google an answer and I might very well be in the wrong thread, but please help direct me here:

I recently came out as an audiophile, deciding to play all my music from a dedicated mac mini. Its osx and itunes are fully updated. Normally, I use my oldish but osx 10.8.2 upgraded MBP which doesn't hold music any longer. I do sync my iphone to the laptop, because this is where I like to keep all kinds of poo poo and the mac mini is for music playing only. Now I want to transfer music to my iphone 5 which is also fully updated, but hate getting my itunes on the laptop filled up with music I would want to swap soon.

Several subquestions here:
1. I can't get 'manage music manually' to function, so I could plug my iphone into the mini and just load it up. a) should it be able to do that in iTunes 11? b) how the gently caress?
2. Does anyone know of a viable itunes alternative that works in 10.8.2 and will allow me to upload music to my ios unit manually?
3. Where on the forums should I really post as this seems a bit cross-apple threads: ios, itunes, osx software?

Thanks in advance. I understand I might come out as a complete moron for posting here but I need the guidance.

rasser fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 3, 2013

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I don't know how much music you have so this might not be viable, but if you have < 25000 songs have you considered subscribing to iTunes match? That way all of your iOS devices will just have access to your entire library and download as needed.

Something else to consider would be to share your Mac mini's iTunes Media directory on the network and just point the copy of iTunes on your laptop to the Mac mini's iTunes Media folder. The benefit of this method is you can plug your phone into your MBP and it will essentially have access to everything on the Mac mini and sync as if it were directly connected to it (although it might be slower since you're now transferring everything over the network rather than locally).

The downside is that the Mac mini is now your iTunes library, so it might be holding more than just music depending on what you store in iTunes. Also, if your Mac mini is ever off or disconnected from the network when you want to use iTunes, iTunes on your MBP will throw a fit saying it can't find your library.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

rasser posted:

I recently came out as an audiophile... and itunes

As far as I am aware, iTunes doesn't play flac so I don't see how this computes

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

dox posted:

It plays ALAC though, and FLAC to ALAC conversion is IIRC quick and non-destructive/free/whateveryoucallit.

And I think there are some plugins to play FLAC in iTunes but you can't sync them to your devices.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

dox posted:

iTunes plays both Apple lossless and .wav files.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

DarkJC posted:

I don't know how much music you have so this might not be viable, but if you have < 25000 songs have you considered subscribing to iTunes match? That way all of your iOS devices will just have access to your entire library and download as needed.
Just for info, for those wanting to do this but 25000 songs isn't enough, Amazon Cloud Drive may be an alternative. If you sign up for the $25/yr Amazon plan, you'll get 50GB of general file storage space plus room to upload up to 250,000 songs. Amazon Cloud Player app now available for the iPhone and other devices. iPad access is still through a browser and it sucks, but the iPhone app works on an iPad, though it's ugly.

quote:

Something else to consider would be to share your Mac mini's iTunes Media directory on the network and just point the copy of iTunes on your laptop to the Mac mini's iTunes Media folder.
Or just use iTunes' built-in Home Sharing to share the Mini's library with the laptop. Same result (with same downsides), as far as I know.

rasser
Jul 2, 2003

DarkJC posted:

Something else to consider would be to share your Mac mini's iTunes Media directory on the network and just point the copy of iTunes on your laptop to the Mac mini's iTunes Media folder. The benefit of this method is you can plug your phone into your MBP and it will essentially have access to everything on the Mac mini and sync as if it were directly connected to it (although it might be slower since you're now transferring everything over the network rather than locally).

The downside is that the Mac mini is now your iTunes library, so it might be holding more than just music depending on what you store in iTunes. Also, if your Mac mini is ever off or disconnected from the network when you want to use iTunes, iTunes on your MBP will throw a fit saying it can't find your library.

Thanks, this seems like a good solution.

dox posted:

Apple lossless ftw! Honestly, I'm not the real audiophile kind of guy, I only want my cd quality music run through a good dac without having half a wall of cd's I can't browse through in 15 minutes. Next year or something, when I buy a better record player, I'll start poo poo posting about my real audiophile balls in an audio e/n thread.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.
Anybody been having problems where you'll go to create a genius playlist by clicking the little arrow next to a playing song (or, poo poo, doing it any other way, really) and then having the playlist iTunes created be totally empty? It happens constantly to me, and I have to restart iTunes and try again.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I got iTunes Match, so I can cut down on the space that my music takes up on my computer, but I'm not sure how to go about getting it all off of there. I've got it copied onto a hard drive, and everything is in the cloud, but when I delete it from my computer and try to play it on iTunes, all I get is the typical "This song can't be found, Do you want to locate the original file?" About half of my hard drive is music right now (MacBook Air), and I want to get it all off so I have room for other poo poo.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Yoshifan823 posted:

So I got iTunes Match, so I can cut down on the space that my music takes up on my computer, but I'm not sure how to go about getting it all off of there. I've got it copied onto a hard drive, and everything is in the cloud, but when I delete it from my computer and try to play it on iTunes, all I get is the typical "This song can't be found, Do you want to locate the original file?" About half of my hard drive is music right now (MacBook Air), and I want to get it all off so I have room for other poo poo.

Delete all the files from your iTunes but when it prompts you to also delete it from match choose no.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I bought the season pass for season 4 of Archer. The new episode is available for purchase in the store but it won't download for me. Is there a way to fix this or download it?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Okay two small iTunes match questions for anyone using it.. First, if I want to keep just syncing everything to my phone can I? Like will the music still sync normally when connected to iTunes, or would it just strictly go through match? Secondly my iPad has only 16GB storage - is there any way to limit how much music can be cached at once? Or remove older music, or stream only, etc. Thanks.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Less Fat Luke posted:

Okay two small iTunes match questions for anyone using it.. First, if I want to keep just syncing everything to my phone can I? Like will the music still sync normally when connected to iTunes, or would it just strictly go through match? Secondly my iPad has only 16GB storage - is there any way to limit how much music can be cached at once? Or remove older music, or stream only, etc. Thanks.
Music syncs directly through iTunes Match; can't sync music from iTunes. With Match on, your iPad will automatically remove the least played music when space is needed.

BigRed0427 posted:

So I bought the season pass for season 4 of Archer. The new episode is available for purchase in the store but it won't download for me. Is there a way to fix this or download it?
Contact iTunes Support.

wolffenstein fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 11, 2013

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

jackpot posted:

Just upgraded to 11 yesterday, now every time I plug my phone in to charge I've got to wait 30 seconds while itunes stops to think about it. I finally got it to stop opening itunes automatically when I plugged in, but now I want it to completely ignore my iphone, if possible, and I can't find anything in the settings. How?
Ok, this has gotten even more obnoxious, partly due to a frayed charging cable that cuts out occasionally. Now I keep getting the message "iTunes could not connect to this iphone. This device is no longer connected." I know, so stop trying to connect! How can I tell itunes to just completely ignore my iphone? When my iphone's connected to this computer, the only thing I want it doing is charging, nothing else. Is that possible?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How do I remove the arrow?

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Anyone else had problems with podcasts this last update? I left my computer on overnight after updating iTunes, and woke up to 1000+ new podcasts waiting for me. Seems like iTunes decided that it should download all episodes of every podcast I subscribe to :suicide:

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Quick question:

Im a bit stuck...

I have a bunch of movies on my iPhone. All those movies have been removed from the movie list in iTunes/deleted from there. Now if I go and add a single movie to the phone, it seems that iTunes wants me to synch,
meaning everything on the phone will be erased. Is it possible to just add that single video to the phone? Is there a way to add those movies back to the movies list? I tried just dragging the movie
onto the phone from with itunes and it wont allow me to do that. It seems as though iTunes only wants to allow whats been added to the movies list and thats it :(

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Use something like PhoneView http://www.ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/ to pull the videos off your phone. In the future, don't delete stuff from your iTunes Library.

Your iTunes library is your master copy. The phone is just a temporary copy.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Does anyone else experience that iTunes synchronize Genius data for nearly all your songs every time you sync your iPhone? It's kind of annoying when you just want to transfer a few songs.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

You know I was about to come in here to talk about how iTunes had suddenly stopped properly adding songs to its library correctly (Was working up until yesterday. It was also weird, the music showed up in the Recently Added playlist and could be searched for nut nowhere else) but then it just updated and started working again.
So uh, I guess here's to hoping that doesn't break again?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

RME posted:

You know I was about to come in here to talk about how iTunes had suddenly stopped properly adding songs to its library correctly (Was working up until yesterday. It was also weird, the music showed up in the Recently Added playlist and could be searched for nut nowhere else) but then it just updated and started working again.
So uh, I guess here's to hoping that doesn't break again?
Yeah that was weird. Had an issue a couple days ago where I was trying to add a new album and I about tore my hair out trying to figure out why it wasn't showing up. I literally deleted and reimported my entire library to try and get it to work and it still hosed up.

Weird how that could just all of a sudden happen.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I had the exact same problem, a season of a TV show I imported was nowhere to be found under TV or Movies or any of their subcategories but was showing up in Recently Added and would play fine. If I did "get info" or checked in Finder, it was in the correct place in the iTunes folder on disk. Hitting CMD+L with one of the episodes selected seems to have unfucked it, it's showing up under TV fine now.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
What's the smart playlist options for the last 200 most recently added songs?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What's the smart playlist options for the last 200 most recently added songs?

Probably just a blank smart playlist with the filter for the limit set to 200, added by most recently added. I'm not at my computer with iTunes right now, but it's probably going to be everything in the bottom part under the normal options. Maybe set an option for "Playlist is Music" just in case.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

It seems to me that 'played' means a song that completes. Is there any way to set 'Recently Played' so that it tracks all songs started but not necessarily completed?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Abel Wingnut posted:

It seems to me that 'played' means a song that completes. Is there any way to set 'Recently Played' so that it tracks all songs started but not necessarily completed?

"Last Played" on [Date]
OR
"Last Skipped" on [Date]

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

Lawen posted:

I had the exact same problem, a season of a TV show I imported was nowhere to be found under TV or Movies or any of their subcategories but was showing up in Recently Added and would play fine. If I did "get info" or checked in Finder, it was in the correct place in the iTunes folder on disk. Hitting CMD+L with one of the episodes selected seems to have unfucked it, it's showing up under TV fine now.

It happened to me too earlier this week with a TV show. I could add the show to my iPhone but it didn't show up in my library at all. The next day after updating the show mysteriously showed up. Weird that all of us had the same problem around the same time.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.

Abel Wingnut posted:

It'd be nice if they did what Last.fm does where making halfway or more through a song counts as a play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

TheState posted:

It'd be nice if they did what Last.fm does where making halfway or more through a song counts as a play.

As someone who uses Last.fm, dear god no. Maybe if you skip in the last 5% of the song, but not the last 50%.

Also,