Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Today I bought this stuff:

And I used it! I had to improvise a drain pan because I just moved house DON'T JUDGE ME

World's greatest funnel, that tip extends a further three inches or so into the engine.

Took the wheel off to find this:

Which explains why my speedo has only been working sporadically. You were right Silver...right all along! :negative:

Old fork oil had the thickness of water. I went to 20W but after riding it I realise this may have been a mistake. The bump damping is certainly there, and there's none of that squirelly wobble taking corners at speed, but now it understeers somewhat when you get on the power. I assume it's because I've effectively just increased both the compression and rebound damping at the same time and now it has too much rebound.

Caught this one mid-transform. Then did the plugs while it wasn't watching.

Now I just need to convince myself to go on the teeth-pulling adventure which is doing the tappet clearances. And buy a new radiator because it's pretty severely bent from the PO dropping it on grass; thankfully functionality isn't affected. And buy another speedo drive magnet thing :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Broke off the loving footpeg!

I was riding the Bonneville home from work. My keys were digging into my right leg, so I stood up on the pegs and tried to shake them into a better position. Suddenly my right foot slips and is hanging in midair. I stop, walk back, there's my peg in the weeds.

The bolt appears to have sheared. This is surprising to me, because sure I'm kinda fat but so are the old British men who also ride these things.

As a 300 lb fatty the thought of this happening goes through my mind every time I stand up on my pegs.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Good to know I'm not the only chunk on two wheels.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I was riding the Bonneville home from work. My keys were digging into my right leg, so I stood up on the pegs and tried to shake them into a better position. Suddenly my right foot slips and is hanging in midair. I stop, walk back, there's my peg in the weeds.

The bolt appears to have sheared. This is surprising to me, because sure I'm kinda fat but so are the old British men who also ride these things.

What I would do is use a left-hand threaded drill bit to drill it out, then replace it and its twin with grade 8 hardware.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 2, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Quote is still not edit.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

What I would do is use a left-hand threaded drill bit to drill it out, then replace it and its twin with grade 8 hardware.

I haven't yet sat down and really studied it, but it looks like one end of the bolt is permanently attached to the little frame which holds the footpeg. Might have to buy a new one.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
New seat, Saddleman. http://imgur.com/a/Tahs9

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Pham Nuwen posted:

Could have been worse...
Fast forward to 9:50.
http://youtu.be/eVw5H_ldMKY

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
Finally got around to looking at the suspension settings on my STR675 this afternoon. It was set up about halfway between the "sport" and "standard" numbers in the manual, and shockingly, had the same settings on the left and right sides. Took a turn of preload and one click of compression off at the front, and a click of rebound at the rear. It still doesn't appear to notice when I sit on it (because I weigh about as much as a loaf of bread), but it's a hell of a lot more planted in turns now and the rear tyre doesn't skip as much over rough surfaces.

Slavvy posted:

Caught this one mid-transform. Then did the plugs while it wasn't watching.

Looks like you'd have had the same issues as I have with doing plug changes on my VTR250 - front just involves moving the radiator out of the way, but the rear needs a foot-long gimcrack arrangement of extension bars and universal joints to clear the tank, frame, and cylinder?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Could have been worse...
:gonk: That's got to hurt.

Brb, checking my peg bolts.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

I haven't yet sat down and really studied it, but it looks like one end of the bolt is permanently attached to the little frame which holds the footpeg. Might have to buy a new one.

I can't remember what you ride. What do you ride?

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

High Protein posted:

Installed the mount for my new satnav, I hope the mount will stand up to the vibrations of anything but an i4. Wish there was a way to secure the actual unit to the handlebars with a string or something just to be sure. It's lovely that to putting together the mount involves a combination of philips screws and nylock nuts, not a good combination. Also, the kit doesn't includes rings for the battery terminals. Still it's nice that the bike's lack of an actual tank (and its loosely fitting covers) makes it easy to route wires through there.

(That crap in the grooves on the letters? Turtle wax...)

Hi5 Lightning Long buddy.

Speaking of which, I am in the process of prepping mine for a long (loop of America long) trip. I have discovered that the long version of the lightning has almost nothing available for hard bag mounting brackets, I may pick up some hard cases from ebay and just go to a welder to have custom mounts made up. I also need to finish painting the "tank".

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BlackMK4 posted:

Could have been worse...

Here's another crash from that weekend
http://youtu.be/ZQ7-8z4dlDY
Skip to 4:40 to see my friend get taken out by another racer.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
After already being hit by him two other times :doh:

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

Is that the place that did the port/flow on your KLR head?

Nope. That was Schnitz Racing. Their engineer did some KLR specific development. He has since passed away. Not sure if they still do porting but the kits are available.

Engine Dynamics did my KLX300 top end work later on.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I tightened my chain slack today, which was way out of spec and loose, and learned that my rear axle nut was attached with about 15ft/lbs of torque and was basically being held in place by the cotter pin. Thanks, previous owner! I guess at least whatever idiot tightened it put a cotter pin in.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Rode my bike over to my mechanics today, he took a minute to ride it and listen to the noise it was making. Said it sounds like the cam chain and it wasn't to bad. Recommended we do a valve job in 3-4k miles and hed check it then and replace it if he needed to.

He told me to pull the airbox first and just make sure a throttle body boot hadn't popped loose.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

I can't remember what you ride. What do you ride?

2010 Bonneville.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Head reassembled! :toot: Now all I need is an o-ring I forgot, and two new bolts for the intake elbow because I rounded the gently caress out of them taking them out. Next weekend should see head installation and maybe even first start of the season.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Pulled the airbox off the VFR and checked the intake boots. When I got in there I found 3 pieces of sandpaper :wtf: underneath the airbox. I'm not sure what they were doing in there, but after pulling them out some of the noise I was hearing seems to have gone away. I still hear the chain noise, but there was a secondary "flapping" noise that was what sounded so bad. I think the sandpaper was the cause.:ms: They varied in size, but the biggest was about 6 inches long and 3 inches wide.

Cleaned it up, reassembled it and took it for a spin. Holy crap, the lights on bright are so insanely bright. Coming from the DRZ with stock headlight it's like riding in daylight.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

3 pieces of sandpaper

That's not a very good way to port and polish.

Pham Nuwen posted:

2010 Bonneville.
I was wrong. Fortunately, your parts are cheap.
http://www.bikebandit.com/2010-triumph-bonneville-se/o/m18747#sch632038

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 3, 2013

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Gave it its first biannual wash n wax and a rim stripe

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I did a tank/tins/plastics-only wash and wax. First time I've waxed the Enfield since I've owned it (2009), and first waxing after painting the 1979 CB650.

Why the hell haven't I done this before? It's amazing :allears:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Geirskogul posted:

I did a tank/tins/plastics-only wash and wax. First time I've waxed the Enfield since I've owned it (2009), and first waxing after painting the 1979 CB650.

Why the hell haven't I done this before? It's amazing :allears:

Wait until you do a full strip, clay bar, wax...so drat shiny.

Eh good enough excuse to pimp my brother's detailing...

Not bad for 24 year old paint and a quick job

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Lubed my chain again.

A few weeks ago I lubed + cleaned the chain, and cleaned the plates because they're always gumming up with dust and dirt for no reason, then they started to get surface rust.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Cleaned it and lubed the chain last night after some lunch time hoonery.

This morning it pissed it down on my way to work so now it's filthy again :(

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Just got my bike into the garage after having it shipped from OH to NC (which somehow was cheaper than trailering it myself.)

It's a little dirty from being driven through my backyard to get to the trailer on Monday. Seriously looking forward to be riding in an area with so many amazing roads as this.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Changed the oil in the DRZ, so now both bikes have fresh oil and filter for springtimes!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I located the problem with my engine!

:rock:

Strangely, the cylinder bores are completely fine. Glassy smooth with zero scoring. I might still go over .25mm but all they really need is a hone. I guess all the metal chunks from the exploding piston got sucked down the hole instead of rattling around and chewing up the bores?

Also, the right-side camshaft support bearing is spun (completely exploded), and the right cylinder cams are scored and chewed up. Oil starvation in the head, I would expect, but (1) why then is it only happening on one half (the left side looks completely normal) and (2) why is there a hole in my piston?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Either something got sucked in (check your throttle plate screws), or you're running lean.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

I located the problem with my engine!

:rock:

Strangely, the cylinder bores are completely fine. Glassy smooth with zero scoring. I might still go over .25mm but all they really need is a hone. I guess all the metal chunks from the exploding piston got sucked down the hole instead of rattling around and chewing up the bores?

Also, the right-side camshaft support bearing is spun (completely exploded), and the right cylinder cams are scored and chewed up. Oil starvation in the head, I would expect, but (1) why then is it only happening on one half (the left side looks completely normal) and (2) why is there a hole in my piston?

A valve got stuck and friendly mr piston decided to give him a lift?

As for oil starvation... maybe something got stuck in the oil passage on just that side.
You should see what happened to the 95 Magna we're working on.

Edit: ah yes, here it is:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

CAMSHAFT CARNAGE!

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 9, 2013

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
We had a '76 CB750 in the shop recently that had been run low on oil for some unknown period of time and caused similar damage. No piston holes, but the left side of the camshaft was hosed up on all the working surfaces. Cam towers, cam bearing surfaces, lobes. Right side of cam and the rest of the engine was just fine. No blockages, just run low on oil enough to produce low pressure.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

A valve got stuck and friendly mr piston decided to give him a lift?

As for oil starvation... maybe something got stuck in the oil passage on just that side.
You should see what happened to the 95 Magna we're working on.

Edit: ah yes, here it is:

The old shop guy here also suggested that it could have been a stuck valve that caused the hole, especially since you can see it's semi-circular. What causes a stuck valve? And if that's the case, why do the valves themselves look fine (caked with oil and carbon, but apparently seated properly and not bent or chipped) and why would it happen on the side that seems to have kept its oil?

Right side: clean piston, clean valves, completely shredded camshaft bearing, scored cams, scored tappets. One is worn so badly that the eccentric barely works any more.
Left side: hole in the piston, carbonized valves, completely clean camshaft bearing, glassy smooth cams and tappets.

Minimum list of replacement parts: 2x pistons and rings, 1x camshaft, 1x camshaft bearing, 2x tappets, plus the tensioner rubber is all shredded and should be replaced.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 9, 2013

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

We had a '76 CB750 in the shop recently that had been run low on oil for some unknown period of time and caused similar damage. No piston holes, but the left side of the camshaft was hosed up on all the working surfaces. Cam towers, cam bearing surfaces, lobes. Right side of cam and the rest of the engine was just fine. No blockages, just run low on oil enough to produce low pressure.

Sounds familiar...

Sagebrush posted:

The old shop guy here also suggested that it could have been a stuck valve that caused the hole, especially since you can see it's semi-circular. What causes a stuck valve? And if that's the case, why do the valves themselves look fine (caked with oil and carbon, but apparently seated properly and not bent or chipped) and why would it happen on the side that seems to have kept its oil?

Right side: clean piston, clean valves, completely shredded camshaft bearing, scored cams, scored lifters. One is worn so badly that the eccentric barely works any more.
Left side: hole in the piston, carbonized valves, completely clean camshaft bearing, glassy smooth cams and lifters.

well for starters, a seized camshaft?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

^^^ Yeah, it looks like that but not quite as bad. Scratched up and rough to the touch but not outright grooved.

Well yeah, but the engine still ran for 30 miles after losing the left cylinder, and I don't recall it ever locking up -- there were the sudden losses of power but the rear wheel didn't stop or anything. You're saying that the camshaft seized just enough to jam the valves on one stroke and punch a hole in the piston, then broke loose and kept spinning? I didn't realize that a single strike could do so much damage...

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 9, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The scoring on the top of the piston suggests that something rattled around in there for a bit at least. I dont think thats valves since the hole is basically in the center of the piston, and you can see the reliefs towards the front and back of the piston, where the valves actually are, in the head.

Thats not synonymous with a lean burn through either, as those tend to look like someone sandblasted a hole in the piston.

My guess is you either sucked something in, or lost a chunk of sparkplug maybe?

SketchyEtch
Mar 9, 2013

I broke 40k on my '98 SuperHawk.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Very nice!
My boss has over 60k on his (same year).

I want one. That or a VFR.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

Seen an old BMW with sticky valves due to heavy buildup of [pre-ethanol] gas varnish on the valves from sitting for years with a slightly leaky petcock and a slightly leaky float valve and a plugged overflow on the carb so that the excess gas drizzled into the intake. The result was hard starting and more valve noise than normal.

SketchyEtch posted:

I broke 40k on my '98 SuperHawk.
We got a Superhawk with I think 46k on it now. It came to us with a blown head due to cam chain tensioner failure. Are your tensioners cool?

SketchyEtch
Mar 9, 2013

We got a Superhawk with I think 46k on it now. It came to us with a blown head due to cam chain tensioner failure. Are your tensioners cool?

Previous owner replaced the automatic CCTs with manuals, should be good! He also replaced the terrible R/R with a mosfet unit, I don't expect any issues out of this bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Seen an old BMW with sticky valves due to heavy buildup of [pre-ethanol] gas varnish on the valves from sitting for years with a slightly leaky petcock and a slightly leaky float valve and a plugged overflow on the carb so that the excess gas drizzled into the intake. The result was hard starting and more valve noise than normal.

My friends Rebel 250 has varnish on one of the valves from being parked on an incline then sitting in a garage for 3 years.
I just sprayed some seafoam in there and hit it with the high pressure air nozzle and it came off.