Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Will there ever be a Jules Verne-esque Vic 2 DLC with a martian invasion or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kersch posted:

Will there ever be a Jules Verne-esque Vic 2 DLC with a martian invasion or something?
Oh poo poo, War of the Worlds DLC would be the best thing ever. Even though it would not fit with the rest of the game in any way whatsoever- it's nothing to do with industrialization or any of the uniquely Victorian bits... it'd just be straight up war.

Unless... somehow the Martians had the same incredibly unfair colonization mechanics as the Europeans had, only they applied it to Europe. All of a sudden you'd go from playing a great power to playing a struggling uncivilized nation in comparison to the Martians. It would make the Martian invasion an eye-opening event recontextualizing European imperialism from the perspective of the conquerors to the perspective of the vanquished. HG Wells style.

Now if only playing an uncivilized country was in any way fun, that'd be an awesome idea. (It's a terrible idea.)

Eiba fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 2, 2013

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
There's no way to create units by event in Vicky 2 (trying to work in that language feels... unclean), so you can't mod it in like a Mongol invasion.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

A War of the Worlds DLC would just be the Martians landing, devastating countries over the course of a week, then all dying from bacterial infections.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Maybe not a War of the Worlds *exact* DLC, but something similar to that would be interesting. In the same way that the Sunset Invasion DLC forces the crusader kings to reconsider their position as the dominant power (they're not, but that's beside the point), an Alien Invasion could force the Great Powers of the 19th century to re-evaluate their position in the world.

War of the Worlds played on people's fears over what the end of the 19th century would hold (Fin de siecle), some thinkers in Britain especially thought the world may have been on the way out when the 20th century hit. An alien invasion of apocalyptic proportions would be interesting not just for the military challenge (not that Vicky 2 is really a wargame), but also for the aftermath when the martians fizzle out from disease. What effect would something like this have on post-invasion politics? I honestly don't know, but the way it may affect politics in *the* Paradox politics game gives some interesting potential.

edit: just to build a bit more, I'm envisioning huge swells in Fascist/Communist thought (or maybe Reactionary thought) because, say, "Liberalism proved itself too weak in the face of the invaders". You could also have bigger surges of unrest in colonies (because of the Empire's inability to protect the land) leading to possible early de- and re-colonization. The world market bubbles and explodes as nations suddenly need huge levels of concrete and other building materials to rebuild infrastructure...

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 2, 2013

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Kavak posted:

A War of the Worlds DLC would just be the Martians landing, devastating countries over the course of a week, then all dying from bacterial infections.
Having a last game event like that wreck everyone's factories, POPs, and military would be a great way to toss up the late game and completely rearrange GPs (especially since existing GPs would be primary targets). AFAIK the only part of thing you can do is change POP size. No adding or removing of units or buildings in Vicky2script.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Fintilgin posted:

Obviously it's way too late for EUIV, but for a hypothetical EUV as far as maintenance goes, I'd sort of like to see an end to peacetime armies as mobile units.

Your standing army units are generally 'stationed' or 'garrisoned' somewhere during peacetime. They look like a little cluster of tents or a fort icon, depending on if the province has a strong fort. Units could be tied to the province that built them and have variable support costs based on where they are stationed. So a European unit build in England might only cost 5 gold a year if it was stationed in Scotland, 10 in occupied non-cored France, 25 in America, 35 in India, etc. So you'd be strongly encouraged to use local/colonial/native units as the bulk of your overseas forces, and your high-quality European forces are deployed out as the backbone/elite because they're expensive to supply/support overseas.

Stationed units couldn't move or do anything. But you could 'activate' a stationed unit, which would take a few weeks or a month or two and it would turn into a little marching army man like we have now. Active units would cost double or triple or whatever the gold cost of a stationed unit, but it could run around, smack down rebels and be moved to another province to be 'stationed'. During wars units on inactive fronts could be 'stationed' to save money, but they'd take time to get up to speed and 'activate' so they could be of use in an emergency.

There would be no upkeep slider. Unit cost is solely dependent on if a given unit is active or stationed, and it's really clear on the map which is which because it's either a tent icon or an army man icon. No more of the annoying bullshit where you need to kill 8000 rebels in your Florida colony so your entire, vast, globe spanning Imperial army of 700,000 men goes on :siren:FULL TOTAL WAR FOOTING:siren: for months and drains your treasury dry.

Maintaining your elite European infantry overseas would be more expensive in a fairly clear way. Hell, I might put a 10$ marker right on the tiny unit bar, or let you switch between strength and upkeep, so you could easily review what was costing you how much and where. Mousing over it could give a cost breakdown (Euro unit +5$, Overseas +10$, Hostile Religion +3$, Hostile Culture +4$, no core +2$, Province development +4$) Supporting your army in a hostile country on the other side of the world would be much more expensive then just having it sitting at home in London.

Moving units around and your peacetime positioning would be more important.

Also, because I'm an rear end in a top hat, I'd ramp winter attrition for active units way, WAY up to encourage you to 'station' them (and thus get way less attrition) during the winter and create seasonal operational pauses. :colbert: Finally, a reason to look at the terrain map.

I like this, I would also add that it should be rescaled so a single regiment can actually be worth a drat.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Having a last game event like that wreck everyone's factories, POPs, and military would be a great way to toss up the late game and completely rearrange GPs (especially since existing GPs would be primary targets). AFAIK the only part of thing you can do is change POP size. No adding or removing of units or buildings in Vicky2script.

To add to this and what The Narrator was saying, there's a collection of short stories out there based on what happens in the rest of the world during the Martian invasion. One of them (I think it won a Nebula award) is set in China, and ends with the Dowager Empress and the Guangxu Emperor ejecting the crippled European powers from China and setting about reforming the country.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I don't know. If there's a 2-4 week wait to activate and a constant drain on maintenance, it'd be preferable to not have a standing army in the first place. Or, alternatively, you could consider the manpower count as stationed and inactive troops and recruiting units activates them. I do agree that maintenance could vary by region, though.
Yeah, I think it would be preferable to just think of the stationed/inactive troops as not being a standing army, but more a way for you to be able to quickly create the force you want instead of having to do it all over again when you get into a new war. Because really, if you're going to make me build up my army from scratch when I get into a war, I want to be able to have a template ready, and define where it's going to end up. At which point you're basically doing the tent/army man system anyway.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I think it'd be neat if a future EU game modeled the transition from levies to standing army by slowly phasing out a CK-like unit system in favor of an EU-like one.
One way to do that which flows well with the above would be to have early game armies take much longer to become active, simulating the gathering of and preparation of a force in a levy system, and then late game they get ready much faster, simulating something closer to a standing army. That might be a good compromise to actually having to model two different unit systems. Perhaps the difference in cost between the inactive and active unit would also grow smaller over time, indicating that these inactive units are still semi-active (explaining why they get ready so quickly), and acting as a money sink when countries begin raking in the dough.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

That sort of system would work pretty well with
A) Tech level differences
B) Later Conscription type systems, WW1 mobilization etc.

From 800 to 1947 :allears:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Pimpmust posted:

That sort of system would work pretty well with
A) Tech level differences
B) Later Conscription type systems, WW1 mobilization etc.

From 800 to 1947 :allears:

Yeah, at this point it seems inevitable in some form or another. We should all be theorycrafting about the grand unified grand strategy game!

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Yeah, at this point it seems inevitable in some form or another. We should all be theorycrafting about the grand unified grand strategy game!
We have this, and its name is Steppe Wolfe :colbert:

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I hope Paradox keeps adding these ridiculous alternate history DLC things. Like the Sunset Invasion. I have yet to buy it since well, I already suck at their games and having the Aztecs gently caress me up wouldn't help. But I do intend to pick it up.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Gorgo, you still have MotE in upcoming games. Lazy lazy.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

Wiz posted:

Gorgo, you still have MotE in upcoming games. Lazy lazy.

Still waiting on either me to get around to playing the demo/buy the game or something who owns the game to help me do a summary.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Gorgo Primus posted:

Still waiting on either me to get around to playing the demo/buy the game or something who owns the game to help me do a summary.

YF-23 gave a quick review in his post about it last page.

YF-23 posted:

So I just won my first MotE game, playing as Russia. I first got a couple of states from Persia in the starting war (including I believe a Land Objective). Then I went to war with the Ottomans, who were fighting Austria at the same time. Surprisingly enough they had a hell of a navy; a stack of 40 ships, my Black Sea Fleet of 7 or so ships of the line was no match, and in the end I had to settle for the thin strip of the northern black sea coast that they have, plus Erzerum (that gave me Koci, a naval objective, but I was unable to take Batum, a land objective). After that I went to war with Prussia, taking the border provinces and having to stop shy off my objectives of Danzig and Warsaw. Well, after I got Batum (and a few more states) from the Ottomans in the next war with them (Austria was still fighting them! They'd occupied most of Ottoman Europe and peaced out for a very large chunk of it during my war) there was no point in caring for Warsaw since I was at 100% land domination (but still needed to dethrone France). In the end I took Danzig and the next coastal area from Prussia and forced them to release a German minor around Lubeck as my satellite, which placed me at 7/8 needed provinces for naval dominance; Great Britain had lost control of Gibraltar so that path was clear. I did another war with Prussia after that to connect my new satellite and the Baltic corridor I'd created from Prussia's coastal provinces before joining Britain's fight against France.

So onto the more interesting part of the game, I declare war on France, figuring I'd first knock them off land dominance before I attain naval dominance myself and find me the target of a coalition, and form a coalition against them (since Britain had dissolved its own for some reason). From my vassal's lands in Lubeck I invade the French provinces in northern Germany and quickly meet, during my siege of Bremen, the Grand Armée's full strength. It was by far the largest and most powerful army I'd seen up to then, my wars with Prussia and the Ottomans taught me to expect up to 60,000 troops at the same time at most. France exceeded that by far and caught my with my pants down.

That's around 160K Frenchmen and Dutchmen making mincemeat of my forward force.

I did manage to escape with much thanks to military access I'd received from Sweden in anticipation of disaster (the magnitude of which I'd vastly underestimated), using Swedish-controlled Kiel to escape the wrath of the French in Bremen, and a transport fleet I'd built in anticipation of an eventual invasion of Denmark to complete naval dominance through Copenhagen. It was during this initial confrontation that I realised the sheer power of March to the Sound of Guns; you think you're fighting against a medium-sized enemy force during your retreat but within a couple days the superior quantity and quality of the enemy forces is devastating your own.

So at this point I make my hasty retreat. I couldn't scortch the earth at this point to devastate the French in their advance, but regardless I retreat my forces all the way to Danzig, and also call in the Austrian border guards (amounting for another 50,000 troops). I had, of course, thought that I might have to retreat all this way, and made sure to load up a huge garrison 0f 20K troops in Danzig, which itself has a level 2 fort. Danzig is behind a river, and there my land corridor is two provinces wide on the eastern side and three wide on the western side. My troops were still reinforcing and I was not feeling ready to fight a battle yet so I'd left its province unoccupied to let them sit there and suffer attrition. The French quickly overtook everything else in the corridor up to Danzig, and started sieging it with about 60K troops, as just as many behind the river. After they'd lost a good chunk of their forces (their stack sieging Danzig was down to 47K), I attacked. I did not expect it, but the battle was a resounding success; the French units from the other side of the river didn't join in, and in the end what was left of the initial ~120,000 French troops was this:

The definition of a bottleneck.

Following that I pushed all the way to Bremen again, got pushed out again, but Austria took the opportunity so France couldn't push into my lands again. When I regrouped and attacked France again, I was not pushed back again; I took their north German stuff, went into the Netherlands (which was a drat slog because it seemed like only three or four of the Dutch provinces did not have a city or a fort), and pushed into France proper; resistance was minimal, as French forces were probably focusing on Austria, and there was a last-ditch effort with 20K troops to stop me when I reached Paris; by then I'd taken Brussels, and without that and Hannover France had dropped from Land Dominance and I held that post. By that point 20,000 troops was formidable, I don't think any of the stacks I was fielding had more than 25K troops left, and two or three were under 10K, but I persevered, Paris fell, and Napoleon was finally made ready to accept defeat and make concessions. By then, late 1818, I had 49% warscore and he'd accept a peace up to 24, which was just enough to take all that France had in North Germany and Brussels (which came with a tiny shore and brought with it ugly borders).

I regrouped quickly, and as the game was ending soon, declared war on Denmark as soon as a good chunck of my forces had reinforced. Prussia joined on their side but they didn't matter, all I needed to do was capture Copenhagen to win. Of course, two days before my forces landed there Sweden had landed 100,000 troops of its own, cutting off my way to victory. Well, the solution to that was simple. Wait with Sweden until Copenhagen fell, let them to off siege someplace else in Denmark, declare war and capture it from them. And that I did in my most gamey deed all game.

My strategy with Russia was exactly what you'd expect; throw men at the enemy, retreat, reinforce, throw more men at the enemy. It was almost stereotypical; other than the relief of Danzig there were no big battles, no big battles that I won at least. It was a war of attrition, pure and simple, I let myself take damage knowing that in the long run I could recover from it easier than the French could from their own losses.

All in all, this was extremely gamey and much different than other Paradox games, Hearts of Iron included. In fact, I wouldn't call it a Grand Strategy game at all; it reminds me more of an actual classic strategy board game than what anyone has learned to expect from previous Pdox games (which is merely an observation and not in any way criticism; I had a lot of fun, and that's without having touched the multiplayer yet). It should be treated as a board game when considering its strengths and weaknesses, or when you consider a purchase.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Torabi posted:

I hope Paradox keeps adding these ridiculous alternate history DLC things. Like the Sunset Invasion. I have yet to buy it since well, I already suck at their games and having the Aztecs gently caress me up wouldn't help. But I do intend to pick it up.

I got that event with Zheng He or whatever the name is of that Chinese explorer.

Now I want a Chinese Invasion DLC, sort of like the Timurids to the Golden Horde/Ilkhanate but for the Aztecs.

The Invasions from the West just keeps on rolling in! Possibly invading from the South/Up Egypt by the shoreline as well.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
One thing I really don't want as a DLC is the really terrible things that have happened thoughout history.

I don't want HOI3: Geschichte der Juden in Deutschland

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

JGBeagle posted:

YF-23 gave a quick review in his post about it last page.

I only touched on the single-player experience, though. Regardless I do think that the OP bit should mention the game feeling more like a board game.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I think it'd be neat if a future EU game modeled the transition from levies to standing army by slowly phasing out a CK-like unit system in favor of an EU-like one.

So like the reutines and levvies system? yes it should use that, it's funny that CK2s system now better reflects EUs period than it's own. Levvies keep getting worse and worse, while your standing army keeps getting better and larger...
Until napoleon does the levvy en masse and everything breaks.

mmtt
May 8, 2009
Hey if you are around and up for a MotE MP game right now, hit me up on steam (mmtt). Is there a goon mumble for paradox games ?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
They should replace the uninvolved and boring tech system in CK2 with the MOTE ideas.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Pimpmust posted:

The Invasions from the West just keeps on rolling in! Possibly invading from the South/Up Egypt by the shoreline as well.

I'm still pulling for the Zulu invasion DLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mRz1JlF87c

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I am a great slaughterer of Russians. I think I personally killed 1-1.2 million russians.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Riso posted:

They should replace the uninvolved and boring tech system in CK2 with the MOTE ideas.
Nothing is known publicly about it, but The Old Gods is completely renovating the CK2 tech system.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Nothing is known publicly about it, but The Old Gods is completely renovating the CK2 tech system.

the CKII tech system is the weakest part of CKII.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Sweet. I know research isn't really a priority for CK2 compared to backstabbing and petty wars, but I do have an irrational love for it.

I miss the CK1 research screen that would tell you what advance the research level represented.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
Hell, I'd just be happy if they made the tech views actual map modes so I don't have to dig through a bunch a menus to see why my Nubians keep getting slaughtered by an equal number of Greeks.

Rannos22 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 3, 2013

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Well shoot if the CK2 tech system ends up resembling MOTE's idea system that would be just fantastic. I'm picturing a system where points accumulation for each category of CK2 tech is accumulated differently, though.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

:3: The cutest army marches forth (to die) :3:

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008
One thing I think is cool about MotE's tech system is that it seems to be structured as a "catch up" mechanic, since losing more troops gives you more points - if you're slaughtering enemies at a disproportionate ratio already, you don't need much help and are probably already on the cutting edge (or at least are demonstrating your ability to compensate for any technological inferiority). On the other hand feeding more men into the meat grinder helps you tech and lets you salvage something out of horrible defeats. I really kind of hate that in a lot of Paradox games there's a snowball effect where success begets further success endlessly - the more you succeed, the less likely you are to meet major setbacks, so I think that they were at least on the right track there.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Random Map Generator for EU3 doesn't seem to work properly on its own and people in the thread are saying it'd work better if it was implemented within a mod, meaning with all the events and decisions coded. Are there mods that change the shape of the map completely?

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009

Vegetable posted:

Random Map Generator for EU3

I figure there's a crazy web of interdependencies in events that makes it difficult but I hope this sort of thing becomes more common. The only way I could have fun with HoI 3 was to use a barely-functional randomiser mod that left the map entirely the same. Power levels are less entrenched in EU3 and CK2, but it'd still be a great way to spice things up. Especially after spending so much time on Shattered Europe in MiscMods.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Okay, well, this is dumb. In MotE, you can force nations to "release" countries that already exist. As France, I did this with Spain against the UK, because it looked like a cheaper way to grant them Gibralter. Except after doing so, the game acted as if they were a freshly released nation, and canceled all treaties they had, including their satellite status with me. So the war with the UK ended with them losing Gibralter and me losing Spain. gently caress. That's a few hours I'm never getting back. The "Release nation" option just straight up shouldn't exist for an existing nation, or it shouldn't cancel any agreements that nation has with all other nations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Baloogan posted:

the CKII tech system is the weakest part of CKII.

All I ever do is select the most backward technologies and research those. Is that wrong?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Nullkigan posted:

I figure there's a crazy web of interdependencies in events that makes it difficult but I hope this sort of thing becomes more common. The only way I could have fun with HoI 3 was to use a barely-functional randomiser mod that left the map entirely the same. Power levels are less entrenched in EU3 and CK2, but it'd still be a great way to spice things up. Especially after spending so much time on Shattered Europe in MiscMods.
The problem is when events call provinces by ID. When you change the map, it's not calling where it thinks it's calling. I think there's a way around it by finding the more-or-less equivalent provinces (like the Western border provinces for Mongol invasions) and go through each specific file that mentions them, read down to the specific line that reference is one, and rewrite it with the new province number. For stuff like Holy Orders being activated and mercenaries being based in whereever, I don't even know. That's a problem I haven't solved yet. On the bright side, I'm pretty sure I know where all of these are in CK2.

I really don't see CK2 ever having a random map generator in the sense that it generates random terrain. The terrain's heightmap is just too detailed for a simple algorithm, and the colormap would ruin everything even if you did get one working. My goal is to randomly generate provinces over the existing terrain. It's going to be tough enough trying to logically define coastal sea provinces. I have some semblance of an idea, but it's incredibly convoluted and fragile.

Gort posted:

All I ever do is select the most backward technologies and research those. Is that wrong?
There's no really a wrong answer. You basically have no control over technology, so it's best to set it to Whatever and leave it. Technology will spread seemingly randomly, so that research bonus of yours won't even feel like it's doing anything. It feels nice to set Culture tech to Legalism, though, since it gives you a demesne bonus.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Mar 3, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I basically just set the military tech to siege engines, the economic tech to the town tax one, and occasionally alternate the cultural techs between legalism, and the opinion techs depending on whichever ones feel behind. I know it's not influencing much, but I still feel like those are the most important techs to my play style and just camp them.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I second MOTE tech/research system being pretty great. Maybe throw in some of Victorias II tech event triggers to increase randomness a tad.

I imagine that the MOTE system would work pretty well to represent natives and non-europeans catching up once they bump into western armies and get trashed around for awhile. Learn from failure and all that.

Now, it should probably be somewhat restricted to (directly) affecting military techs so you can't lose a bunch of battles and suddenly you are a modern constitutional republic as the Golden Horde. Some other mechanic for that, that ties into national dissent/war exhaustion would be pretty sweet though.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 3, 2013

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Before we fall down a slippery slope, don't forget that while learning from failure IS neat, it shouldn't be a centrepiece; incentivising failure will never work safe as an exercise in frustration. Victoria 2 taught us that, by making pissing off your population a near necessity in most cases if you want to pass reforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I'd love a theory/invention system like the one in Vicky 2 if it was just a bit more interactive. Right now you just fast forward each month and hope you pop the high percentage inventions. I'd love if it you could combine it with HoI2 and the EU4 counters-are-characters-you-don't-get-more thing. You get a list of characters/organizations that generate research points, with bonuses like the schools in Vicky 2 or the proficiencies of a research team in HoI2. You can assign them theories and generate points towards those like you could in Vicky 2, or you could assign them a specific invention, and the points invested in that would increase the % chance of discovery.

With that system I think you preserve the element of chance and disparity between nations that Vicky 2 has, while still being fun and interactive. When research teams are characters generated for each nation, it gives you that sense of personality and flavor that you got when you assigned Krupp to research tanks or whatever in HoI2.

• Locked thread