Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Bliggers- posted:

Anyone going to see Efterklang on their North American tour that starts tonight? I've been waiting years to see this band, seems like they always conflicted with something in the past.

I really want to but alas, the shows I could make are 21+. I like Piramida but wasn't crazy about it, not like Parades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

65dos are playing the tiny (250 max I think) Hare and Hounds in Birmingham on 29th Aug.

I have no idea how I will get there as I don't own a car and it's 4 miles out of the centre but I still bought a ticket.

Tickets are still available on Seetickets, it's only £13.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Has Mogwai's Les Revenants soundtrack been talked about in this thread yet? Because I'm listening to it for the first time and so far it's loving beautiful while sounding really sad.

It's not full of ferocious Mogwai tunes, but more subdued ones that are still very powerful.

edit: And after one listen it's already one of my favorite albums of the year. God drat, that gave me chills so many times...

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 2, 2013

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Has Mogwai's Les Revenants soundtrack been talked about in this thread yet? Because I'm listening to it for the first time and so far it's loving beautiful while sounding really sad.

It's not full of ferocious Mogwai tunes, but more subdued ones that are still very powerful.

edit: And after one listen it's already one of my favorite albums of the year. God drat, that gave me chills so many times...

It's absolutely amazing! Reminds me a lot of the second CD of Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will. Songs like The Huts, Whiskey Time, and Relative Hysteria stuck out for me.

Has anyone seen the show before? I kind of want to check it out now after listening to this.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

It's certainly made me want to watch the show, it sounds amazing.

From what I understand, Mogwai wrote the music after reading a couple of scripts and the show makers used it for inspiration while filming. Pretty cool.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Here's my great post-rock shame. I've not really listened to Mogwai but I don't really know where to start. I've listened to Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will and wasn't blown away. Any suggestions?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
All of it! They seem to change it up every now and then.

Seriously I had a look and I can't figure out where to recommend you should start. Looking at their wikipedia article actually isn't a bad idea, they had a period where they got pretty heavy on synths, some vocals and softer stuff if that's your thing (I like it, but not as much as their other material). I guess if I had to pick one album, Mr Beast.

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

chunkles posted:

All of it! They seem to change it up every now and then.

I have to agree with this, it's quite hard to pick a real definitive release by them. Mogwai has been my favorite band for years now, but I don't think I could name a favorite album.

My recommendation would be Come On Die Young or EP+6

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hmm...that's a tricky one. Starting at the beginning might be a good idea because Young Team is great and their albums just keep getting better and better after that (for the most part).

Happy Songs For Happy People was the first one I ever heard, and it blew me away instantaneously. But I suppose if you start from the beginning, you're bound to like them at first and then keep getting surprised over and over again by everything that follows.

If they're you're thing, that is. I don't know that I'd recommend Hardcore Will Never Die as a starting point. It's more a culmination of what Mogwai does best, so existing fans are bound to dig it a lot more than brand new fans, I guess.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
The Hawk Is Howling is the only Mogwai album I love, I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead and Thank You Space Expert are great songs. The only song I don't like from that album is The Sun Smells Too Loud, it's too happy :colbert:

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I love all things Mogwai, they are my favorite post rock band. I would start off with Young Team or Mr. Beast honestly. Young Team is what got me into Mogwai and has some of their classics. Mr. Beast is all around accessible but does a nice job of showcasing the different songwriting styles Mogwai has evolved into over the years. I usually just put their entire catalog on random and listen as well.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
Her name is Calla are playing in my town in a couple of months which makes up for my 3 hours travel to see the half hour set last time. The support is a band called midas fall and it turns out they are also pretty kickin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPRDagbLNjg

Also seconding Mogwai are awesome but the songs do vary greatly so its a bit hard to get into the kick of things.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Her name is Calla are playing in my town in a couple of months which makes up for my 3 hours travel to see the half hour set last time. The support is a band called midas fall and it turns out they are also pretty kickin!

The moment those vocals kicked in I was :stare: and this is perfect and I need it in my life forever.

In more descriptive terms, I like lyrical post-rock, but it usually turns down the post-rock a little bit to make way for a more traditional structure, but this is truly a searing post-rock sound.

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 4, 2013

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
I'm really late on this since it was a 2010 release, but holy poo poo Seven Idiots by world's end girlfriend is loving amazing. Les Enfants du Paradis is probably the best song I've heard in a while. I should probably check out the rest of his stuff.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

A LOVELY LAD posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPRDagbLNjg

Also seconding Mogwai are awesome but the songs do vary greatly so its a bit hard to get into the kick of things.

I know (barely) Simon from Midas Fall, they are very good indeed. He was also a part of Goonies Never Say Die, who are also pretty good.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Mogwai's Mr. Beast album is one of my favorite albums ever. And I like a few other Mogwai songs and I saw them live at Bonnaroo last year and they were off the chart (didn't know it came with a free massage!). But, Mr. Beast seems ions above the rest of their material. It's just so...awesome that I can't find any other Mogwai to compare it to. I was actually disappointed jumping into a few of their other albums after love Mr. Beast so much. Is there a general idea why that album is so different than the rest?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Long Distance Calling's new album is really good...or it would be if there were no vocals :( The instrumental tracks rule but every time the vocals kick in during the other tracks, it just ruins it for me.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Long Distance Calling's new album is really good...or it would be if there were no vocals :( The instrumental tracks rule but every time the vocals kick in during the other tracks, it just ruins it for me.

Very disappointing. They seem to get vocalists from random Euro rock bands and I haven't liked any of their music with vocals.

e: That said as long as their albums continue to contain a reasonable amount of instrumental music I'll probably keep buying them.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 6, 2013

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

chunkles posted:

Seriously I had a look and I can't figure out where to recommend you should start.

The correct answer is Young Team.

To be more specific, the correct answer is Mogwai Fear Satan.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
So I know they were initially brought up in this thread as "not post-rock", but at this point I frankly don't care. I've been going up Swans's discography backwards, starting from The Seer, and every album is full of new and awesome discoveries. I've been hung up on Soundtracks for the Blind, and in particular The Sound is a track that will definitely reach the GY!BE/early Mogwai post-rock lovers out there.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Jan posted:

So I know they were initially brought up in this thread as "not post-rock", but at this point I frankly don't care. I've been going up Swans's discography backwards, starting from The Seer, and every album is full of new and awesome discoveries. I've been hung up on Soundtracks for the Blind, and in particular The Sound is a track that will definitely reach the GY!BE/early Mogwai post-rock lovers out there.

The post-rock facebook page (which is really good) occasionally tags things as "Not post-rock but might appeal to people who like post-rock" which I think is quite sensible when you have a bunch of people with a somewhat similar esoteric taste to bring up bands that might not be post-rock. Anyways, you've inspired me to actually listen to more Swans, and yeah, Soundtracks for the Blind is really good.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Jan posted:

Yeah I had a freind suggest them to me a while back and I kinda shrugged it off but god drat the seer is an ace album.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Also in the "post rock that's not post rock (but is this post rock? Because I don't know)" category I have discovered The Haxan Cloak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teBwPg5sNTc

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Jan posted:

I've been hung up on Soundtracks for the Blind, and in particular The Sound is a track that will definitely reach the GY!BE/early Mogwai post-rock lovers out there.

The version of The Sound on Swans are Dead is incredible.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Going back to this album, I really dig the ~3 minute guitar solo on Nucleus. I wouldn't mind a little more of that in my post rock for a change of pace.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I really want to but alas, the shows I could make are 21+. I like Piramida but wasn't crazy about it, not like Parades.

Time to get older dude, hah.

Sorry, I'm 29 so it's been a long time since I've considered age restrictions at venues.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Bliggers- posted:

Time to get older dude, hah.

This is my last year of age restriction hell.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
It's pretty good living in a country where I can attend any concert @ 20 :smug:
I'd have cried if I missed out on MONO and gy!be because I wasn't 21. What a dumb restriction.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

89 posted:

Mogwai's Mr. Beast album is one of my favorite albums ever. And I like a few other Mogwai songs and I saw them live at Bonnaroo last year and they were off the chart (didn't know it came with a free massage!). But, Mr. Beast seems ions above the rest of their material. It's just so...awesome that I can't find any other Mogwai to compare it to. I was actually disappointed jumping into a few of their other albums after love Mr. Beast so much. Is there a general idea why that album is so different than the rest?

That's my favorite Mogwai album, but I really wouldn't say it sounds very much different from other things they've done. The slower songs (which is most of the album) are in the vein of EP+6 and CODY. I guess "Glasgow Mega-Snake" is somewhat unique in their catalog, but even it harkens back a little bit to songs like the Ten Rapid version of "Summer".

The Hawk is Howling is the only album I rarely ever listen to. It seems to me that the songs are too long, and overall it just sounds like a Mr. Beast b-sides record.

If I were to suggest a starting point, I would not start with Young Team. Aside from a few songs, it's their weakest by far (not counting Ten Rapid, which is a compilation). Sure, "Like Herod" is the tits and "R U Still In 2 It?" is probably the most depressing song ever recorded (but that has more to do with Moffat than Mogwai, and you'd be well served in getting some Arab Strap albums if you want songs like that).

But the version of "Summer" on Young Team is absolute rear end (and the band has admitted to that), it has some weird filler like "Radar Maker" and "Tracy", and "Mogwai Fear Satan" lost its luster for me when I figured out I could plug my guitar in and do 20 songs like it any time I want.

"Stanley Kubrick" is probably my favorite single song of theirs, or possible "Ex-Cowboy".

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

precision posted:

..it has some weird filler like "Radar Maker" and "Tracy"..

"Tracy" is probably my favourite track on the album.. but if this is showing anything it's that tastes are different, your mileage may vary, etc. Perhaps listen to "Special Moves" (the live album) or "Government Commissions" (session versions collection) and what you like best from there, find the album it's on and go from there?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Just listen to all of it, then you don't have to worry about the optimal starting point.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

chunkles posted:

Just listen to all of it, then you don't have to worry about the optimal starting point.

The remix double-album is stunningly boring and bad, I have no idea what happened there but good god man. It's doubly perplexing because all the remixers are amazing artists on their own - Kevin Shields, Third Eye Foundation, Hood, Arab Strap... it should have been fantastic, but last time I listened to it (admittedly many years ago) it bored the hell out of me.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

precision posted:

"Glasgow Mega-Snake" is somewhat unique in their catalog

Yeah, I wouldn't call Glasgow Mega-Snake unique. For starters, they pulled off the same idea in the very same album with We're No Here, and then some more with Batcat.

If you asked me to sum up what these three songs have in common, I'd say they decided to revisit their old roots, while avoiding the overplayed "quiet-loud-quiet-etc." contrast from their post-rock imitators.

That said... Mogwai Fear Satan, filler? Seriously? It's still one of their most played live songs, and in a way was one of the most influential hallmarks of post-rock.

But as mentioned, the best way to take Mogwai is all at once... In chronological order, to see the weird way in which they've evolved. And skip the remix and live albums, yes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I never said "Mogwai Fear Satan" was filler, I said that it got boring once I realized how easy it was to just plug in my guitar and do it myself. It's literally just three chords repeated for 14 minutes, it hardly has the complexity of songs like "CODY", "Friend of the Night" or "I Chose Horses".

edit: Actually, the three chord argument is probably silly since "Jenny Ondioline" is one of my favorite songs of all time

precision fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 9, 2013

Videogame Stench
Feb 11, 2011

precision posted:

I never said "Mogwai Fear Satan" was filler, I said that it got boring once I realized how easy it was to just plug in my guitar and do it myself. It's literally just three chords repeated for 14 minutes, it hardly has the complexity of songs like "CODY", "Friend of the Night" or "I Chose Horses".

edit: Actually, the three chord argument is probably silly since "Jenny Ondioline" is one of my favorite songs of all time

It is stupid. CODY is based around 3 chords, a lot of mogwais best songs are based on really simple guitar riffs (2 rights for example).

I'm a guitarist myself and really hate the argument of well its simple to play so it must suck, i'd take fear satan over some wanky virtuoso stuff anyday.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

So instead of getting into Mogwai like I said I wanted to, thus starting this whole discussion, I've been listening to I Am Waiting For You Last Summer who came up recently, and I'm really loving what I'm hearing. It's kind of like of 65daysofstatic in that it's very electronic but still has all the roar of a full band at full tilt (I only have self titled and Edge Party), but yeah, people should listen to them is what I'm saying.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cymbal Monkey posted:

So instead of getting into Mogwai like I said I wanted to, thus starting this whole discussion, I've been listening to I Am Waiting For You Last Summer who came up recently, and I'm really loving what I'm hearing. It's kind of like of 65daysofstatic in that it's very electronic but still has all the roar of a full band at full tilt (I only have self titled and Edge Party), but yeah, people should listen to them is what I'm saying.

gently caress yeah. I almost forgot I had downloaded Edge Party, and thanks to your post, I'm re-listening to it now. Such good stuff. It's almost like if 65dos and God Is An Astronaut crossbred.

edit: poo poo, I'm on Medley Season right now, and this is the type of stuff I've been wanting to make myself for ages. Post-rock with synth bass and chopped up Amen samples? Uhh, hell yeah.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 9, 2013

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

gently caress yeah. I almost forgot I had downloaded Edge Party, and thanks to your post, I'm re-listening to it now. Such good stuff. It's almost like if 65dos and God Is An Astronaut crossbred.

edit: poo poo, I'm on Medley Season right now, and this is the type of stuff I've been wanting to make myself for ages. Post-rock with synth bass and chopped up Amen samples? Uhh, hell yeah.

Medley Season is where I realized that this was a great album. If you want something in a similar area but a little darker/dirtier I think you should check out Asbestoscape.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Edge Party may just be the greatest post-rock album in years, I'm not even loving joking :stare:

It's not strictly post-rock, though. It's like electro chillwave post-gaze or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

:staredog:

It's also free on their Bandcamp.