Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
"Hooray fwithbee!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

"Hooray fwithbee!"

So cute! I wanna smoosh that freckle face. :kimchi:

Also crosspostin' from yappy rats because why not:

Feldbutt and Kiko.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

coyo7e posted:

Someone brought a horse to the dog park, this afternoon. Devo wasn't really pleased to have to stand in the mud and Stay while I got her in the shot.

140 lb intact male Bloodhound, I need to get a picture of him, he's a gorgeous animal and I didn't have any idea they could get so big.

Your pooch look's like he's wearing sunglasses for some reason...

anima
Apr 27, 2007
1. The unconscious or true inner self of an individual, as opposed to the persona, or outer aspect of the personality.

RazorBunny posted:

I've always wanted to name an animal Noodle. I also think Hambone is a great name for a pet.

Quoting an old rear end post, but I was catching up yesterday and I got another cat (my service cat just died last month, I'm going through a lot, and this cat walks into my life)

And now is name is Hambone. It's loving PERFECT. Thank you so loving much seriously. It's just so great for him. It was between Hambone, Romero, Dingus (still gets called this) or Bumble. I foster the shitfuck out of cats so those will get used too. HAMBONE IS JUST SO HIM THOUGH.

He's this big beefy cat, bigger than my mom's 17 lb girl. It's all bone size jesus. He's HUGE. I'm disabled and had to use my oxycodone and heat pads after lifting him. Nothing I have fits him, and Clara my service cat was a big fatty. He was mostly outdoor only so the leash and stuff is gonna be returned for dog stuff, it won't clip together. This lady pulls out this cat and I'm like "what is that? THAT'S A CAT WHAT IS THAT REALLY HIM?" He was raised by dogs and is really weird. She sent pictures of him next to a pit bull (lol yes, eat a cat) but they generally aren't huge but god drat. Hambone. The collar is as big as it can get. I ordered a cat tree and shelving since I'm gonna move 3000 miles to be with my parents for the first time, and I don't think he's going to fit. At least my dad's a carpenter and can add to it.

He rolls on his back like a dog in cow poop and jumps up on you like an untrained dog constantly and shows affection by purring a little but licking and drooling. Hambone. HAMBONE. Goons, you found the best name. I'm not YOSPOS but tempted to post him in the catte thread but eh.

He is all black with big copper eyes and a big moose/cat hybrid body.

*Sorry I disappeared a few weeks ago, but if anyone has any pet movers (chinchilla and beardie) I'd appreciate it. Not one has got back to me in weeks/ever. Not adverse to flying them as was questioned by Fluffybunnies iirc, I meant I WILL NOT use USPS/UPS/FEDEX to handle my Zed-lizard. He's too old, and my mom worked at USPS for 20 years in the package dept... NO. I want someone to drive them or plane them. I know check Yelp etc buuuuuuut goons. I know it's a bad cat-time but I'm a rescuer/sucker and ugh.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

The cat situation in Kuwait City is weird.

They're not skittish at all, like I would expect ferals to be; neither are they friendly. They also look a lot healthier than most of the strays/ferals I've seen back in the States, despite the fact that they're pretty clearly long term street animals.

So far I've seen just a few, some quite beautiful - there was a gorgeous calico sitting in a flower pot outside the restaurant where we had dinner last night - and all with the same totally unconcerned attitude when we approached. I haven't tried to cozy up to any, so maybe they are friendly to petting, but they certainly didn't come over and rub on my leg or anything. My husband said he got into a conversation with one down by the beach, but didn't attempt to touch it.

Spotted this little cutie on the walk back to my apartment a few minutes ago:

Just missed a yawn, but got a little peek of tongue :3:

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

^^ I went to Cuba winter before last and it was the same thing. The cats were all super healthy looking and not really friendly but not really unfriendly either (until someone tossed them food, then they'd come running). They certainly seemed to do better than the feral dogs running around.

Super, if I ever need to name a dog I'm coming to you.

Also, people really need to stop naming their Shih-Tzus Molly and Sophie, and their GSD/Lab/Husky mixes Max and Bear holy poo poo. It's like the dog equivalent of every little girl being named Mackenzie/Olivia and every little boy Connor/Hunter.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I live near Baylor University. I can't even tell you how many dogs around here are named Baylor and/or Bear, and when owners who both have dogs named Baylor/Bear meet they're shocked and amazed that someone else had that novel idea.

I have a dog named Max but he came with that name and it fits him so we kept it :saddowns: Actually, all of my pets came with their names and I didn't change any of them.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I live near Baylor University. I can't even tell you how many dogs around here are named Baylor and/or Bear, and when owners who both have dogs named Baylor/Bear meet they're shocked and amazed that someone else had that novel idea.

:jerkbag:

That's like all the Shiba owners naming them: Sheba, Foxy, Vixen or Kitsune (Fox in Japanese.) We also get a few Bears and Kumas (Bear in Japanese.) Then they are so surprised someone else knows 日本語 enough for a google search.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Golden retrievers. Marley.

Checkmate.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

What about anime names for shibas? I assume there's lots of those too. Bear seems like it'd be more common for Akita, though.

e: Also the name Bella. For everything ever.

Heknocentric Thinker
Sep 5, 2004
boo! ^.^

My dog's name is Sparky :what:

My husband's condition for us getting a dog was that he got to pick a name. So we have a female dog named Sparky, sigh.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Pew! Pew! posted:

What about anime names for shibas? I assume there's lots of those too. Bear seems like it'd be more common for Akita, though.
oh

The dog training place I worked at had over 30 Bellas and it was not a big business. No more Bellas ever.

Major came to me as Major and while I don't love it I never bothered to change it. He's mostly just Bubbie/Bubs anyway.

I've been trying to come up with naming themes for lambs this year so its not so overwhelming as they come. This website has been really helpful and I think I'm going to stick with plant names for the Jacobs, then one of the finewools is going to be cakes and pastries, and the other tanks/war machines/war stuff in general.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Pew! Pew! posted:

I'm going to make you really sad...

(yes the massive spike is post-2005)

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm going to make you really sad...

(yes the massive spike is post-2005)

:froggonk:

Both of my dogs came to me with their names. But it's probably for the best because I get to have geeky names for my rats :3:

Wabznasm
Jul 19, 2006

Rof Rof
My dog is so called because I am an idiot.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Bella and Zoe (Zoey, Zoee also) were the most common names at my old job. Never name your dog Zoe.

Wouldn't Marley be more fitting for labs than goldens?

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

The only bella dogs I ever met were english bulldogs. We called Feldman after Marty Feldman. They got similar eyes.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

There's a college kid on my facebook friends list who has decided she is going to adopt an Australian Shepherd puppy, because "they're so cute!!". She is deciding on which puppy to adopt based on how soft it is :downs: Every post she makes about said puppy has the disclaimer of "DON'T TELL MY PARENTS".

I can't wait to see how this turns out :allears:

There are some responsible college student pet owners, but they are definitely in the minority.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

There are some responsible college student pet owners, but they are definitely in the minority.

I hope I'm in the minority :ohdear:

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I'd like to think I am in the minority, but if Dex could talk, I am sure he would tell anyone who asked him that I abuse and neglect him on a daily basis.

catamar
May 23, 2008

cryingscarf posted:

Bella and Zoe (Zoey, Zoee also) were the most common names at my old job. Never name your dog Zoe.

My sister's super cute husky/GSD mix is named Zoey! I feel like I know 3-4 pugs named Lily too.

My grandparents told me they knew somebody who named their dog Gansett in the 60's and I felt a little less special.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

There was a 10 year old english bulldog at daycare/overnight named General Sherman. He had no bottom teeth and his tongue always stuck out. :3: Plus he would try to hump my leg and scratched my skin! :argh:

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

coyo7e posted:

Someone brought a horse to the dog park, this afternoon. Devo wasn't really pleased to have to stand in the mud and Stay while I got her in the shot.

Someone brought a miniature horse to the free, dog-friendly section of Barton Springs. I was getting in the water when I looked downstream, and actually had to ask the question of "Is that a pony?" Austin, man.

Pew! Pew! posted:

I maintain that "Gin" is the best name for an Akita, and don't care who knows that at one point in my life, I was an obscure anime fan.

One of my work managers has a Bull Terrier named Bella, and the dog that used to live across the street was named Bella. The best dogs in my neighborhood are Romeo, a big, super-friendly Collie-mutt that likes to follow me when I'm out walking, and Scooter, an elderly Jack Russell mix that I maintain is actually a table crossed with Shredded Wheat.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Lucy was called Lucy when she was in the Shelter. my parents were going to call the dog Lucy if it was a female anyway, so that worked out :v:

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

We named our golden retriever Star, because when he was a puppy he had a white star shaped bit of fur on his stomach...everyone thought he was a lady dog because of that name :argh:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Drum posted:

Someone brought a miniature horse to the free, dog-friendly section of Barton Springs. I was getting in the water when I looked downstream, and actually had to ask the question of "Is that a pony?" Austin, man.

I love this city :3:

I renamed Sadie Sadie because she isn't a Bebe and she is a Sadie. :colbert:

All pet names need to be easily said in a sing-song voice.

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*
Met a woman from NJ who adopted a rescue from someplace called "New Egypt, NJ". She was flabbergasted that almost every other female dog that had been adopted from that particular area was also named .... Cleo. I guess the males were all "Tut", "Pharoah", and "Anubis". Or Ammut. :v:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Rescue ladies were upset that I was not going with their suggestion to call Griff "Cinnamon." Because you see her color is like cinnamon. :|

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Superconsndar posted:

Rescue ladies were upset that I was not going with their suggestion to call Griff "Cinnamon." Because you see her color is like cinnamon. :|

See why can't you call her by the furbaby name she deserves! :byodame:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

You should've told them you called some old fighting dog name and seen if they got it.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Hey Super, since Moses has a girlfriend now, you should get Frankie a boyfriend- http://petharbor.com/pet.asp?uaid=FRFX.A067058

(It popped up on my fb news feed and I thought of you.)

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Superconsndar posted:

Well they can do one because Griff is a great name. But which rescue ladies are these, surely not the ones at the shelter that was going to euth her?

E: I guess you probably meant the ones that went with you to pick her up?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby (in the middle) is the one getting the pig ear, if it wasn't obvious

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

McDragon posted:

Well they can do one because Griff is a great name. But which rescue ladies are these, surely not the ones at the shelter that was going to euth her?

E: I guess you probably meant the ones that went with you to pick her up?

Yeah, the ones that went with me to pick her up. Our local animal control is a shithole and they're part of a FB group that goes out and takes pics/videos of the dogs and plasters them all over FB/Craigslist because it's pretty much the only way any dogs like ever get out of there. They're insufferable, but they're really passionate about it and they sure love them some dawgs.

Moses is totally smitten with her and I still can't believe it. He tried to steal a bone from her earlier and she death stared him and he dropped it and backed away slowly. So much retribution for years of abusing Frankie is happening right now.

And, she's starting to settle in. She follows us around now and is starting to come when we call her instead of hiding under a table and shaking. She had an accident yesterday though because she doesn't know how to ask to go out yet, and it took us hours to get her to come out from under the chair she hid under and whenever we'd offer her a treat she'd flop over on her back and show her belly. :( She's gotten a day's worth of constant treats for everything though since I've had all day to throw treats at her, and she's getting very excited about the fact that the world is full of treats and fun. She seems to expect to get yelled at for everything, and she;s so pleasantly surprised when she gets food instead. :3:

She has yet to try to bite me or do anything but be awesome no matter how I manhandle her or how scared she is. ~so aggressive~

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

^^ What's she think of Frankie now? What's he think of her? Does Frankie think?

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Golden retrievers. Marley.

Checkmate.

Marley was a Lab :colbert:

I've only been an ~*assistant groomer*~ for a month or so but I'm making a mental list of dog breeds I'd never own. So far:

Newfs
Golden Retrievers
Pugs
Bulldogs
Anything hyphenated
Anything ending in -oodle

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fat Dio posted:

She no longer has screaming horror/rage at Frankie and tolerates him just fine as long as he doesn't try to hump or play with her. :haw: And when he does do one of those things, I've already made a lot of progress on getting her to just yell at him and not actively try to murder him. It was pretty funny to witness her disbelief/terror at his existence at first though.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

She no longer has screaming horror/rage at Frankie and tolerates him just fine as long as he doesn't try to hump or play with her. :haw: And when he does do one of those things, I've already made a lot of progress on getting her to just yell at him and not actively try to murder him. It was pretty funny to witness her disbelief/terror at his existence at first though.

Congratulations on your new dog.

Fat Dio posted:

You know that, I know that, the people around here sure don't. Six billion golden retriever Marleys.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Congratulations on your new dog.

Haha, must be nice to be on the other side of this for a change!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Invalid Octopus posted:

Haha, must be nice to be on the other side of this for a change!

I feel like me and Ian should be toasting that it's not one of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Fat Dio posted:

I've only been an ~*assistant groomer*~ for a month or so but I'm making a mental list of dog breeds I'd never own. So far:

Golden Retrievers

Why? we owned star for a good 14 years and he wasn't a horrible poo poo.

• Locked thread