Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
Thanks for the help!

If I may gush for a moment: I know you guys have been chatting Miatas for a long time and have probably owned multiple Miatas, but as a first time owner, I just want to express that I am fuckin' LOVING it. Every time I go for a drive, it feels like an experience rather than just getting from point A to B. The car is so engaging; the exhaust note has just the right amount of snarl without overdoing it, the gears are short and fun to row through, well weighted steering with lots of feedback, cornering is telepathic, having the top down on a warm day engages so many senses, it's super easy to park, it's affordable, reliable, light, small, aaaaaAAAAAAA :love:

VVV will do, thanks! Hope you find a good Miata soon

AF fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
BTW, you should check for an oil leak at the CAS O-ring. If it is leaking don't just fix it, you should also replace the heater hoses that the oil has been leaking on (ask me how I know :().

http://www.miata.net/garage/cas_oring.html

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I was about to say, I swear I never shat in the Miata. You asked a bit back if installed those speakers in the headrest, I did not. Did you install the arm rest back in, or you keeping the way it is currently? Even for a tiny dude like yourself, I'm sure the extra room is nice.

Frost -273
Nov 26, 2004
Is it possible to fit an NC soft top onto an NB?

My NB roof need to be replaced and I have found an NC with: complete frame assembly, all drip trays, window seals and front mounts.

From what I have read the NC if a complete redesign and therefore the roof could not be transplanted.

I was just hoping for conformation or advice.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TooLShack posted:

I was about to say, I swear I never shat in the Miata. You asked a bit back if installed those speakers in the headrest, I did not. Did you install the arm rest back in, or you keeping the way it is currently? Even for a tiny dude like yourself, I'm sure the extra room is nice.

The arm rest is back in, it doesn't bother me and it looks better with it on.

And I'm not tiny I'm slim :colbert:

If I had tiny man syndrome I'd be driving a bro truck, not a Miata :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

AF posted:

Thanks for the help!

If I may gush for a moment: I know you guys have been chatting Miatas for a long time and have probably owned multiple Miatas, but as a first time owner, I just want to express that I am fuckin' LOVING it. Every time I go for a drive, it feels like an experience rather than just getting from point A to B. The car is so engaging; the exhaust note has just the right amount of snarl without overdoing it, the gears are short and fun to row through, well weighted steering with lots of feedback, cornering is telepathic, having the top down on a warm day engages so many senses, it's super easy to park, it's affordable, reliable, light, small, aaaaaAAAAAAA :love:

I've driven my NA (the fuel map is all hosed up) for a total of 20 miles over the past 14 months, and I'm seriously considering trading in my 2 for an NC quite soon. I forgot how much fun they are. :keke:

Frost -273 posted:

Is it possible to fit an NC soft top onto an NB?

My NB roof need to be replaced and I have found an NC with: complete frame assembly, all drip trays, window seals and front mounts.

From what I have read the NC if a complete redesign and therefore the roof could not be transplanted.

I was just hoping for conformation or advice.

The NA and NB are technically the same tub, the NC is completely different.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Phone, if you get a NC, going with a power hardtop?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Doubt it; I think I'm going to aim for a Grand Touring Softtop for the Xenon lights (and then all of the extra bits like heated seats). If I actually go through with it, I'll buy the matching hardtop before the winter. I need to take a look at the 2013 brochure again since it has everything listed out.

I really, really like the 2013 bumper cover. I'm not a huge fan of the gaudy as gently caress Club "accents".

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Phone posted:

Doubt it; I think I'm going to aim for a Grand Touring Softtop for the Xenon lights (and then all of the extra bits like heated seats). If I actually go through with it, I'll buy the matching hardtop before the winter. I need to take a look at the 2013 brochure again since it has everything listed out.

I really, really like the 2013 bumper cover. I'm not a huge fan of the gaudy as gently caress Club "accents".

Why wouldn't you go with the power hardtop? It only adds like 60 lbs or something (which might be a lot on a racecar, simply not having to futz about with a separate hardtop would be worth it to me)

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
I've been trying to buy an e30 with an LSD for going on... 6 months now... And there really aren't any decent ones popping up in the northwest. I've had a lot of people trying to convince me that the Miata meets most of my needs except the one main compromise, that it's a convertible.

If I'm working with around 5 or 6 grand cash how far will that take me in the Miata world?
Is there an easy way to know if a Miata has an LSD short of jacking it up and spinning the wheels?
What years should I be looking for? My friend told me 94-95 but he gave me literally no reasons so I don't know what I'd be losing/gaining by going with another year.
I have a fetish for pop up headlights if that makes a difference.
How difficult/expensive is it to stiffen the chassis on these cars and how much room inside will I compromise? I've only driven a newer gen Miata, and it just seemed really flexible to me but maybe it was that exact car.
And finally, I want to hear from people who actually own Miatas, one good reason why I should buy one over a s13/s14 or something like that. I know deep down inside the Miata is a better choice, but I'm still having a hard time getting over the fact that it's a vert.

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 3, 2013

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I sold a 94 R package with just less than 100k that was turbocharged with good parts, MSII, a newer top, stock bilsteins with GC coilovers and a nearly flawless body for less than 6k. So it depends on what you're looking for I guess. Low mileage cars go for stupid money, which is stupid because everything is cheap to replace and they're reliable in the first place. I wouldn't pay the premium personally.

Use this guide to figure out if potential ones have a LSD or not.
http://www.miata.net/faq/Miata90-97A3.pdf

94 is the best year supposedly because they're 1.8L and has a real oil pressure gauge. The oil gauge is the only real advantage over the 95, so either one is good. You can always retrofit that gauge for about $50 or less. Really I'd just get a 94-97 and call it a day.

I never did the chassis stiffening but a hard top supposedly makes a difference and there are different things like frame rail braces, Flyin' Miata's butterfly brace, or Boss Frog fender braces that should help there. Still the chassis is floppy until a cage is put in I'd bet.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 3, 2013

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Regarding stiffening I'm a big fan of polyurethane bushings, so much so that I usually install them before I change shocks or springs.

fag magnet
Nov 29, 2000
finally got around to driving a 5spd NC yesterday. LOVED IT. it felt exactly like a shorter rx-8 (my bro (literal) had an 09 for a few years), and it was incredible.

questions: it sounds just switching to the goodwin single outlet and single cat header/midpipe/axle-back combo saves both a good 30lbs as well as opens up a little more power (i imagine low-end torque but ?). is there anything other than _maybe_ a slight intake change to a cold-air or high-flow box insert that one can do to give the MZR a little more oomph? i'm far too used to my K20, and the idea of motors not making power above 7000rpm is still foreign to me :/

also, NC or ND? the fiat announcement makes me think it will use a multi-air variant with a turbo, which is just wrong in so many ways, and it seems hard to improve on the chassis while not making it a tin can.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

The difference a rollbar makes in terms of chassis stiffness is astounding too. I just put one in and the rear of the car is way more connected, or solid. It's hard to describe. That's compared to even with a hard top on.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I notice no difference at all with the hard top on or off.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't see how it could make any noticeable difference, isn't it just fiberglass?

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Oh my god, more NC guys! Yesssss!

Hog Obituary posted:

Why wouldn't you go with the power hardtop? It only adds like 60 lbs or something (which might be a lot on a racecar, simply not having to futz about with a separate hardtop would be worth it to me)

I have a PRHT, and it's awesome for peace of mind, but it does make my car ineligible for several track days, due to the "convertibles have to have a rollbar and the NC hardtop can't fit a rollbar" BS. But man, the knowledge that I'll never have to futz with a top replacement is worth it. Maybe in a decade, I'll rip out the whole top for a bar/cage, but that's a long way off.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Oh, I didn't realize the PRHT couldnt take a roll bar. That sucks.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
I'm thinking about rejoining the miata game.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/3631525150.html

Tan top should equal tan interior, which should equal LS right? What would you guys offer for this thing?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Hog Obituary posted:

A decent weight penalty for the PRHT and I don't really like the aesthetic. I need to sit in one and see how the cabin feels with the softtop and power hardtop.

I drove an S2000 at autocross today, and there were a few things that I didn't like. I need to sit in an NC again to compare.

VV - I have a track NA Miata. This would solely be a daily driver, no autox even.

Phone fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 4, 2013

fag magnet
Nov 29, 2000
the cabin feels the same. looking up at the roof liner you can barely even tell whether you're in a PRHT or a soft top. also, the soft top is so ridiculously easy to put up and down i just don't see the point of excluding yourself from half the cheap track days+ and carrying around a bunch of extra weight for some epsilon of convenience. also, if you put a real suspension on (and why wouldn't you, the stock suspensions are all well tuned for neutrality but not for traction), you'll need to start stiffening the chassis.

it's like getting the auto (which there are a shockingly large number of in dealerships afaict). yes, it can shift itself, but that's not the point of the car.

eta: s2000s are great (and my dream car) but before you take that thought further, get some insurance quotes and then sadface

also, some ricer is inevitably going to steal the seats out of your car.

fag magnet
Nov 29, 2000

Phone posted:

i'm starting to agree with this direction as well. the xenons and bluetooth are totally worth it, and i'm going to swap out the wheels for more rubber less weight asap regardless, so the black bbs lm-alikes on the club don't really appeal to me at all.

my biggest problem with the GT is actually there that is terrible plasticized leather all over the place, and for some reason the black exterior only comes with tan interior (but on every other model comes with black interior, wat).

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Hog Obituary posted:

It looks ugly compared to the removable hardtop too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's looking more and more like I'm going to be jumping into Miata ownership in the near future thanks to Leica and Viggen's prompting. Well, mostly Leica, Viggen wants me to buy a freaking SAAB.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Rhyno posted:

It's looking more and more like I'm going to be jumping into Miata ownership in the near future thanks to Leica and Viggen's prompting. Well, mostly Leica, Viggen wants me to buy a freaking SAAB.

Sorry for trying to keep you on the straight and narrow. Sheeef.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

West SAAB Story posted:

Sorry for trying to keep you on the straight and narrow. Sheeef.

I can't help it that all I want in life is this

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Please don't post pics of me and destructo.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Phone posted:

Please don't post pics of me and destructo.
Wow, its like you don't want anyone to know about us. We are fighting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

destructo posted:

Wow, its like you don't want anyone to know about us. We are fighting.

Phone seems like he's pretty insensitive.

I'd buy you flowers if you rode in my Miata.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Phone seems like he's pretty insensitive.

I'd buy you flowers if you rode in my Miata.
He can be sometimes, but we have become jinba ittai. I am the rider, he is the horse. Our bond is immutable and magical all at the same time.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I can't help it that all I want in life is this

Be careful what you wish for, that MS6 will be on the chopping block next :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Be careful what you wish for, that MS6 will be on the chopping block next :v:

Never!

So what the hell is up with Miata pricing? Is there just no accepted guidelines because I'm seeing an '05 MSM for $13K and an '02 Miata for $12K. Are Miata owners/sellers just that out of touch?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Miata pricing follows no known rules of economics. After I bought my Miata I started seeing shitloads of really ratty ones getting dumped for much less than I paid and all the really expensive garage queens dried up.

I saw one Miata that was asking $5000 get sold and then relisted by the new owner at $3000.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah it really depends on the market in your area. That's why it's a good idea to go out of state sometimes. For instance, when I lived in NY a few years ago for work, Miata prices were on average 2k higher than in FL because of supply/demand. There's just a shitload in FL so it's easy to get one for a good price. I bought a '91 automatic down here in FL for my mother-in-law in NY for 3k, shipped it up to her, she's been driving it for probably five years but I guarantee she could probably get 5k for it up there in the summer.

If you want an MSM just pay attention to the national market for them. Watch CL, autotrader, and Miata.net classifieds. You'll get an idea of what they are going for, and when you find a good or fair deal jump on it. Don't be afraid to fly, just fuckin do it.

When I went to pick up ToolShack's Miata, United put me on a turbo-prop and it was the most rear end-puckering plane ride I've ever been on but I'd do it again to get the car I want.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah, the thing I didn't mention in my previous post is that I bought my '91 literally the day before snow started to fall and winter hasn't lifted yet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Yeah it really depends on the market in your area. That's why it's a good idea to go out of state sometimes. For instance, when I lived in NY a few years ago for work, Miata prices were on average 2k higher than in FL because of supply/demand. There's just a shitload in FL so it's easy to get one for a good price. I bought a '91 automatic down here in FL for my mother-in-law in NY for 3k, shipped it up to her, she's been driving it for probably five years but I guarantee she could probably get 5k for it up there in the summer.

If you want an MSM just pay attention to the national market for them. Watch CL, autotrader, and Miata.net classifieds. You'll get an idea of what they are going for, and when you find a good or fair deal jump on it. Don't be afraid to fly, just fuckin do it.

When I went to pick up ToolShack's Miata, United put me on a turbo-prop and it was the most rear end-puckering plane ride I've ever been on but I'd do it again to get the car I want.

Last time I flew my girl had to dope me up on Xanax. I think I was freaking out more than the unhappy baby 2 seats back.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's safer than driving by a long shot, man up and don't be a pussy.

Seriously, you can get one way tickets way cheaper than it would cost to drive. My ticket from Tampa to Pensacola was $60. That's less than what it costs to fill the tank in my Crown Vic. So figure in fuel cost for My Vic there and back which would be almost four tanks and then also fuel for the Miata driving back. Never mind the time wasted for TWO people instead of one. It's a no brainer.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 6, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Planes are just big cars that are super good at going off jumps.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I got a one way ticket from Cincinnati to Jacksonville for a turbo miata with TE37's on it for about $150. The car was a steal for $4300. The wheels alone sold for $800, and all the turbo bits found their way onto my other car.

So yeah, just fly for a good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Planes are just big cars that are super good at going off jumps.

This is not helping me at all. Have I mentioned my problem with heights?