Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I don't have too many, and a lot of them are simply bland. Just posting the juicy bits really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooptimus Prime
Jun 12, 2005

Need I remind you!? The foolish receive no mercy...

Question Mark Mound posted:

American guides seem to say that you need to craft Elixirs first and then merge them with stuff to make Potions. EU seems to be (Sylva Fibers + Aerated Gel) + Journeyman Alchemical Kits and you're done.

Yes, this changed with the F2P patch. You can sell back all your old supplies to merchants, but now it's just the gathered material + random kit, with a few random exceptions.

Velveteen posted:

Lancers are the FOTM right now. You can tell because they have the most expensive gear in the game and how many Lancers there are running around. From what I hear they're pretty good in PvP now.

Yeah, I'm always seeing people saying Lancers get instant queues and that they're in demand, but I see tons of them around and it seems like DGKK has quite a few. I guess I haven't hit the level where people start quitting non-DPS classes en masse yet.

It'd be nice if my connection decided to be a bit more stable so I could level mine some more...

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Golden Labyrinth :stonk:

I thought I could tank dungeons, I was wrong :negative:

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm pretty sure Golden Labirynth has trash that ignore the aggro table.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Carecat posted:

Golden Labyrinth :stonk:

I thought I could tank dungeons, I was wrong :negative:

Its the first dungeon that starts adding secondary aggro gimmicks. As long as everyone avoids the trash and boss leaps its not too hard.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Totalizator posted:

I'm pretty sure Golden Labirynth has trash that ignore the aggro table.

Really? When I first ran it the mobs were two levels above me and I just thought they were "resisting" my agro generation or something. This is really bullshit, then.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Demicol posted:

Really? When I first ran it the mobs were two levels above me and I just thought they were "resisting" my agro generation or something. This is really bullshit, then.

Nah, all the trash there ignores normal aggro methods. I think they just go for whoever's furthest away at the time or something, but I only ever ran GL once because it's horrible.
It's more than made up for with akasha's hideout though, which owns and has great gear.

Tensei
Nov 24, 2010

All the 8reaths. All of them.
The secondary aggro mechanic is something that will persist throughout the game from that point onwards, but GL really beats you over the head with it. Later on it will mostly show up in the form of bosses occasionally throwing a ranged attack at the healer, or using a tail swipe attack to annoy the DPSers behind it.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Tensei posted:

The secondary aggro mechanic is something that will persist throughout the game from that point onwards, but GL really beats you over the head with it. Later on it will mostly show up in the form of bosses occasionally throwing a ranged attack at the healer, or using a tail swipe attack to annoy the DPSers behind it.

Once you meet ACHM first boss you'll enjoy secondary aggro! You don't even tank the boss because its running after someone else 99% of the time when its under 50% health.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

megalodong posted:

Nah, all the trash there ignores normal aggro methods. I think they just go for whoever's furthest away at the time or something, but I only ever ran GL once because it's horrible.
It's more than made up for with akasha's hideout though, which owns and has great gear.

The mobs don't ignore aggro, their secondary aggro attacks just have a really long wind-up and they typically target people standing far from the tank. They go back to the tank after performing their attack. As a dps or healer you have to start paying attention to the visual cues associated with secondary aggro attacks in order to do GL before level 50. When you're the target of a secondary aggro attack, a symbol flashes above your head that looks like a white army private rank over an orange background and you get a dark blue circle at the foot of your character. The cues are actually very unobtrusive, which is a nice way of saying they are hard to spot unless you know what to look for. The game doesn't beat you over the head with it, or hell, even teach you what they are. Once you do recognize them and understand how to react (dodge, block, run away, disrupt attack) the trash mobs just become like any other trash mobs. But there are too many rooms in GL so it transitions from a ball busting dungeon to a boring one and completely misses ever being fun. So yeah, gently caress Golden Labyrinth.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Trihugger posted:

The mobs don't ignore aggro, their secondary aggro attacks just have a really long wind-up and they typically target people standing far from the tank. They go back to the tank after performing their attack. As a dps or healer you have to start paying attention to the visual cues associated with secondary aggro attacks in order to do GL before level 50. When you're the target of a secondary aggro attack, a symbol flashes above your head that looks like a white army private rank over an orange background and you get a dark blue circle at the foot of your character. The cues are actually very unobtrusive, which is a nice way of saying they are hard to spot unless you know what to look for. The game doesn't beat you over the head with it, or hell, even teach you what they are. Once you do recognize them and understand how to react (dodge, block, run away, disrupt attack) the trash mobs just become like any other trash mobs. But there are too many rooms in GL so it transitions from a ball busting dungeon to a boring one and completely misses ever being fun. So yeah, gently caress Golden Labyrinth.

The symbols above your head are as shown:

Its actually a half closed eye!

Also watch out for blue/purple aggro rings under your character. It means the boss has locked onto you and is going to attack you with something. But not all attacks that change target have this blue circle. Especially trash which doesn't have the aggro circle which causes pubbies to freak out when they get attacked and blame the tank.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...

Velveteen posted:

The symbols above your head are as shown:

Its actually a half closed eye!

Also watch out for blue/purple aggro rings under your character. It means the boss has locked onto you and is going to attack you with something. But not all attacks that change target have this blue circle. Especially trash which doesn't have the aggro circle which causes pubbies to freak out when they get attacked and blame the tank.

Can you explain me the bars under a bosses health? Sometimes they are gray sometimes they are yellow or orange or red or not present. What do the bars under a bosses health mean?

Tensei
Nov 24, 2010

All the 8reaths. All of them.

Seemenaked posted:

Can you explain me the bars under a bosses health? Sometimes they are gray sometimes they are yellow or orange or red or not present. What do the bars under a bosses health mean?

I'm pretty sure that's a Warriors combo meter.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I'm getting close to level 40 and man are BAMs getting tough in terms of the damage they do and how much health they have. The attack patterns aren't much harder but it's way easier to die if you mess up once, and pubbies are hella stupid so they get hit all the time.

Dazh
Jul 9, 2008
Yeah I haven't bothered with soloing BAMs since my late 20s(I'm about to hit 41 now). It's not so much that I can't kill them and more that it just doesn't seem worth the effort to whittle down an enemy for 10 minutes instead of spending that time grinding out quests. Maybe I'll get back into it once I find some level appropriate basilisks, but so far I haven't.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
It's not worth it from an xp/hour perspective. It's worth it in that it owns.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

Dazh posted:

Yeah I haven't bothered with soloing BAMs since my late 20s(I'm about to hit 41 now). It's not so much that I can't kill them and more that it just doesn't seem worth the effort to whittle down an enemy for 10 minutes instead of spending that time grinding out quests. Maybe I'll get back into it once I find some level appropriate basilisks, but so far I haven't.

This is pretty much what stopped me and my friend from doing them, even as a Sorc + Lancer some of them just would take too long to do for not much EXP/Gold when you'd already get a decent amount of those from normal quests. Getting a group together can be really annoyingly tedious sometimes, and it's only at level 50ish that we're starting to do more BAMs on account that EXP is getting sparse. Up to around level 30 we'd attempt them, but eventually it just got too annoying to do.

I did make a point of doing a couple of them when possible in the late 40s though (the Feral Valley ones?) as the quest rewards included some really good weapons/gear.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I'm getting close to level 40 and man are BAMs getting tough in terms of the damage they do and how much health they have. The attack patterns aren't much harder but it's way easier to die if you mess up once, and pubbies are hella stupid so they get hit all the time.

This is why I solo all my BAMS on my Slayer. Occasionally I think that I should invite one of the random folks spamming area chat to make things go faster, but then I realize that without a healer and tank they're just gonna get themselves killed.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>
It's a good idea to know the different attack patterns on the various BAMs, as you'll meet them all again later. In ToT for instance you'll need to solo one as a part of the instance.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Phosphia posted:

It's a good idea to know the different attack patterns on the various BAMs, as you'll meet them all again later. In ToT for instance you'll need to solo one as a part of the instance.

Oh wow I didn't know this was a thing. I keep getting characters into the 30s or 40s and then I abandon them for a new character and/or another server. I really need to check out these end game instances.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 3, 2013

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Phosphia posted:

You also need to solo one in CoF. Its a naga BAM so I assume people would have no problems with it but you'd be surprised to know how many pubbies fail to solo it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

One thing I've noticed that interests me is that a lot of the BAMs in this game use exact moves of monsters from monster hunter. The crab guys in particular share almost all the moves of Hermitaur from monster hunter exactly. The nagas do the Narga Cuga hop too.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008
Just applied to guild, character Imsa

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

FirstPersonShitter posted:

One thing I've noticed that interests me is that a lot of the BAMs in this game use exact moves of monsters from monster hunter. The crab guys in particular share almost all the moves of Hermitaur from monster hunter exactly. The nagas do the Narga Cuga hop too.

I fought a named BAM in the Por Elinu area that was a Basarios with big fuckoff front claws. It hid in the ground, charged you, and did the Basarios fart. Considering it was a level above me I think I did pretty well to make it to the first enrage. :unsmith:

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
Ran SM a few nights ago. Just want to say thanks for the suggestion to hold out until running SM. Had a blast healing and buffing and cleansing. Tera healing is leagues ahead of WoW. And now that I have blue balls, mages can't get enough. Leveling and questing is still a bore but now I have dungeons to look forward to.

I was worried about not knowing when to cleanse so I watched a tutorial, didn't need it. HP bars turn purple when they have a a curse or something that needs to be cleansed. Looking forward to more complex dungeons.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
It's kind of amusing how the dungeons in this game are mechanically on par with endgame wow raids just by virtue of the combat system. You can't have a tank and spank type encounter even if you wanted to, and some of the endgame fights are seriously awesome.

My only real beef with the dungeons is the lack of voice acting, saleron's skygarden has some, seemingly at random, but that's it. Raid warnings before gimmicks just aren't the same.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

gently caress, anyone got any tips for playing Warrior? I rolled a Lancer to level up with some buddies and catch up and having gone back to my Warrior I realise I suck arse with that class, what am I doing wrong exactly? I'm finding I'm constantly out of resolve to jump and my damage output seems pretty poor too.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm only in my 30s, but I've found that I generally do okay by starting every fight with Combative Strike to drop their defence (with the glyph to reduce HP drain) chained into Rain of Blows, since RoB's speed is doubled right after Combative Strike.

To keep their defense down, I'll start with Pounce, chain that into Traverse Cut (does 13 rather than 3 strikes after Pounce) then chain that into Blade Draw, again due to a speed increase.

As for using up too much resolve, DEFINITELY use the glyph to reduce the resolve cost of your roll. Also, don't forget that a lot of attacks (especially the red-eye-glint ones) can be avoided by simply walking away. I mostly use rolls for avoiding the quicker attacks or for rolling straight through a boss that has turned to face me.

The other glyphs I've found most useful are the ones to increase MP recovery from your regular physical attacks and the damage boosts for Rain of Blows and Blade Draw.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Death From Above and Backstab should give you room to not run out of resolve from too many blocks/rolls. And glyph your roll.

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008
People in this game are so crazy.

I recently hit 45 with my Slayer, and as I was getting ready to go through NT, the other Slayer in the party started insulting my weapon saying I was going to do no damage, because I had an ilevel 99 un-enchantable greatsword rather than doing what he was doing, which was using a +9 ilevel 91 greatsword with increased pvp damage, mana regen at the start of combat, and no increased attack speed, because "+9 is better than +0 always, you need to look at the green text." Then he encouraged the lancer to use a +9 lance with less innate aggro and no aggro crystals because "Your damage should be enough to hold aggro, this way things will go faster." My friend on his warrior ended up tanking that run while using the offensive stance.

Maybe it's a symptom of being on a PVE server, but I feel like I encounter stuff like that way more often than I should, especially by this level.

On that note, is there a specific tier that I should actually start to worry about enchanting more than just throwing some spare alkahest and fodder at a decent weapon every so often, or just wait until 60 to really start enchanting a lot?

Crown Face fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 4, 2013

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Crown Face posted:

People in this game are so crazy.

I recently hit 45 with my Slayer, and as I was getting ready to go through NT, the other Slayer in the party started insulting my weapon saying I was going to do no damage, because I had an ilevel 99 un-enchantable greatsword rather than doing what he was doing, which was using a +9 ilevel 91 greatsword with increased pvp damage, mana regen at the start of combat, and no increased attack speed, because "+9 is better than +0 always, you need to look at the green text." Then he encouraged the lancer to use a +9 lance with less innate aggro and no aggro crystals because "Your damage should be enough to hold aggro, this way things will go faster." My friend on his warrior ended up tanking that run while using the offensive stance.

Maybe it's a symptom of being on a PVE server, but I feel like I encounter stuff like that way more often than I should, especially by this level.

On that note, is there a specific tier that I should actually start to worry about enchanting more than just throwing some spare alkahest and fodder at a decent weapon every so often, or just wait until 60 to really start enchanting a lot?

I've never seen this happen ever.

Enchanting gear to +6 is really easy and cheap. Getting to +9 takes a bit more money. If you can, always try and +6 a weapon to make your leveling life much easier. You can find a gold weapon on the broker for not a lot of money and you should have enough fodder saved up from leveling and questing. Also for tanks, a lot of your threat comes from static threat numbers from your threat skills. Using threat crystals would help more than damage so that person is wrong.

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008
That's pretty much what I've been doing.

I have around 3k gold saved up because of that tip about buying and reselling MES on the brokerage, and I've just been finding the most cost-efficient gold weapons for my level on the brokerage for about 10 levels now.

I honestly see stuff like that all the time, it's got to be something about the weapon glowing that makes people think it's the best, most unique weapon ever. Dungeons haven't been hard at all so far, but I really hope people on this server have different attitudes at 60, otherwise I might need to try and convince all my friends to switch over to PvP or something.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Thanks on the Warrior advice guys, I've been scouring some internet guides too and seeing how to improve my play and the like, but hell Lancer is surprisingly fun.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I'll enchant a level 27 or 38 weapon to +12 someday.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I actually saw a lvl 43 lancer running around with a lvl38 +12 lance. It definitely happens.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So I'm almost level 40 and, if my Broker sales go through, I should have 500g showing up on my doorstep soon. I know that's not a lot at all compared to the numbers you're all talking about, but it's way more than I've ever had. Found someone selling Shetla Fibers for way below normal price so combined them with the Fibers I'd been gathering and have put a bajillion Healing Potion Vs on the market.

ANYWAY - what should I be spending my gold on as a Lv38 Warrior other than more alchemy materials? I don't know if I should be buying gear since new drops tend to show up pretty quickly which replaces everything I've got anyway.

Also, is Velika the only place where I can do alchemy, crafting, etc? I know I can enchant pretty much anywhere, although I haven't really delved too deeply into that at all.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Question Mark Mound posted:

So I'm almost level 40 and, if my Broker sales go through, I should have 500g showing up on my doorstep soon. I know that's not a lot at all compared to the numbers you're all talking about, but it's way more than I've ever had. Found someone selling Shetla Fibers for way below normal price so combined them with the Fibers I'd been gathering and have put a bajillion Healing Potion Vs on the market.

ANYWAY - what should I be spending my gold on as a Lv38 Warrior other than more alchemy materials? I don't know if I should be buying gear since new drops tend to show up pretty quickly which replaces everything I've got anyway.

Also, is Velika the only place where I can do alchemy, crafting, etc? I know I can enchant pretty much anywhere, although I haven't really delved too deeply into that at all.

The standard recommendation is to save up as much gold you can to level 60 and wait with crafting as well. Gear will replace itself in quests less than two levels above your current and crafting is hardly worth the time if you compare it to how fast you can do it at 60. Leveling gathering isn't a bad idea though.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Buhbuhj posted:

I actually saw a lvl 43 lancer running around with a lvl38 +12 lance. It definitely happens.

Back when the game was still on a subscription model, I ended up +9ing a level 50 weapon. Due to the announcement serverwide, I had a large number of tells calling me dumb. I had more money than I knew what to do with at the time and had a good streak for enchants.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Speaking of gear, my current lance has 2x 8% attack speed and 2x 13,5% more aggro on it at +7. It's about 5 levels bellow me at lvl 55 but I really don't know if I should replace it with a new one for more damage because I can't find anything that compares to it enchantment wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Demicol posted:

Speaking of gear, my current lance has 2x 8% attack speed and 2x 13,5% more aggro on it at +7. It's about 5 levels bellow me at lvl 55 but I really don't know if I should replace it with a new one for more damage because I can't find anything that compares to it enchantment wise.

Those are good bonuses, but you should use the lance the deals the most damage while leveling.

• Locked thread