Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Malcolm XML posted:

Scala just comes across as a language where no one said "no" to a feature.

so a functional c++?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

yaoi prophet posted:

so a functional c++?

c++ says no to features, then they get implemented in D

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Malcolm XML posted:

Scala just comes across as a language where no one said "no" to a feature.

Don't be silly, scala doesn't have variable variables or converting constructors by default.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it

i barely GNU her! posted:

we use angular with asp.net mvc at work. angularjs highlights:
[list]
[*]no way to retrieve any modules/controllers/etc you've previously created, so your app.js ends up being thousands of lines long because you need to define everything at once

if you don't pass in the optional dependencies array you get back the module.

angular.module('x') vs angular.module('x', []) which will just overwrite module x with a new one with no dependencies

so angular.module('x').controller(...) to make a new controller in a new file

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

what javasnick library ever has good documentation, except jquery

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

rsjr posted:

if you don't pass in the optional dependencies array you get back the module.

angular.module('x') vs angular.module('x', []) which will just overwrite module x with a new one with no dependencies

so angular.module('x').controller(...) to make a new controller in a new file

upon investigation you're right, time to update angular-hate.txt

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Shameproof posted:

what javasnick library ever has good documentation, except jquery

jquery has great dox, if the standard is third-party c libraries from 1992

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
what is a well-documented library?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
a miserable pile of docstrings!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

what is a well-documented library?

"example is the school of mankind, and they will learn at no other" - edmund burke

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

abraham linksys posted:

thanks for the warning, i guess :stare:

this is definitely true of ember. the guide on their site is all current, but also very underdeveloped. ember-data is even worse, since it doesn't really have a guide beyond a few pages in the main ember guide, and it has a lot of strange complexities within it. and when you google anything about ember, you have to filter by date to be within <1 month or else it will be worthless

emberjs is definitely guilty of that. backbone seems like a great compromise - readable, handles some stuff for you, but eschews "black box magic" for you doing things your own drat self sometimes. plus, it has super readable source thats like ~1500 loc and really well commented

i've used angular, and its definitely weird, and the docs suck, but two way data binding and the way they let you define your own components/tags is really useful. i'd still rather have the proper web components standard (think of how the <video> tag and such work, they are built in html but the only thing you can see is the <video> tag and not, say, the play button underneath)

i've been using backbone at work though, and although it has the same problem where it really doesn't tell you the "right" way to use it, it is also really lightweight.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the nice thing about backbone is that you can just throw together some random poo poo and the UI just looks nice and modern by default.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

rotor posted:

the nice thing about backbone is that you can just throw together some random poo poo and the UI just looks nice and modern by default.

i think you're thinking of bootstrap. backbone is only js.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

oops

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

spongeh posted:

i've been using backbone at work though, and although it has the same problem where it really doesn't tell you the "right" way to use it, it is also really lightweight.

this was my issue with learning backbone, too

it's something that a good screencast or even a few blog articles could probably set straight, but i couldn't find anything that seemed authoritative and up to date. backbone is like MVC jazz, you can put all your poo poo wherever and however you want!!

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

just about all javascript frameworks/libraries are awful, horribly documented, and end up ignored the second they become remotely mature. jquery's docs are the best as far as js docs go. on the other hand, apple's docs are the best ever, but also have the unfortunate downside of being so elaborate/exhaustive that it can take a good while to find precisely what you need.

quite honestly though, web development drives me nuts. i don't really enjoy it and i wish i could find something more interesting, but i don't know what i would like to do or how to get there (aside from killing myself).

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

gucci void main posted:

just about all javascript frameworks/libraries are awful, horribly documented, and end up ignored the second they become remotely mature. jquery's docs are the best as far as js docs go. on the other hand, apple's docs are the best ever, but also have the unfortunate downside of being so elaborate/exhaustive that it can take a good while to find precisely what you need.

quite honestly though, web development drives me nuts. i don't really enjoy it and i wish i could find something more interesting, but i don't know what i would like to do or how to get there (aside from killing myself).

it's like youre a zoophile in a horse corral and you keep yelling at the farmhands to take you to some god drat animals

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

FamDav posted:

it's like youre a zoophile in a horse corral and you keep yelling at the farmhands to take you to some god drat animals

lol

e: i've opted to kill myself, it's easier than dealing w/the web

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

rotor posted:

"example is the school of mankind, and they will learn at no other" - edmund burke

quoting for truth

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
the reason web development sucks and will keep sucking is that everyone who knows what they're doing gets away from it as soon as they possibly can

also the web is a pile of stupid hacks

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Still it's better than using IBM's platform right?

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

abraham linksys posted:

this was my issue with learning backbone, too

it's something that a good screencast or even a few blog articles could probably set straight, but i couldn't find anything that seemed authoritative and up to date. backbone is like MVC jazz, you can put all your poo poo wherever and however you want!!

that's actually one of the things i like about backbone though, is that it doesn't mandate a certain structure. but still there needs to be something that's basically "this is usually what you want, but if you don't, it's ok, everything is fine :)"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

yaoi prophet posted:

quote:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:
i think you mean http://code.google.com/p/scalaz/

scalaz posted:

quote:
The general purpose 'Pimps of Scalaz',

the wretched "pimp my library" pattern name was coined by the principal author of scala, martin odersky http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=179766

but casual readers of the scalaz page would never know that. way to make the public face of your library super bad, guys

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

"variable variables" can only be implemented in a bad language because they are a consequence (defect?) of php's naive implementation

scala takes the converting constructor idea way overboard. you can use implicit defs to convert anything anywhere anytime (even to effectively assign new methods to an existing object based only on its type, because it is convertible to some other type that DOES have the method)

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"variable variables" can only be implemented in a bad language because they are a consequence (defect?) of php's naive implementation

lol what are you talking about

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Tiny Bug Child posted:

lol what are you talking about

jesus christ just stop posting everyone is tired of you

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

JewKiller 3000 posted:

jesus christ just stop posting everyone is tired of you

maybe when people stop being wrong and stupid about programming. variable variables are very useful

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Tiny Bug Child posted:

maybe when people stop being wrong and stupid about programming. variable variables are very useful

it may be the case that they are "useful" in an html templating language for functional retards. but fyi there are still environments where compiling to efficient machine code matters, and it is not acceptable to implement variables as "one giant global dynamic associative array"

i can't believe i'm seriously responding to a tbc post

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i can't believe i'm seriously responding to a tbc post

bugchasing

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

bugchasing

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

tef posted:

bugchasing

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

gucci void main posted:

Program java. There's gwt if you have to do client side (don't do client side users are horrible trash, never make something a user can see)

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ok i guess i'll look at scala. are there any good books or is internet good enough

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Nomnom Cookie posted:

Program java. There's gwt if you have to do client side (don't do client side users are horrible trash, never make something a user can see)

*repeatedly tells the compiler that this type is in fact a boolean, and that this method returns a boolean, even though the compiler can loving figure it out*

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Werthog 95 posted:

ok i guess i'll look at scala. are there any good books or is internet good enough

programming in scala is written by the guy who designed the language

also he instructs a coursea course that starts in three weeks: https://www.coursera.org/course/progfun

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

It's also suuuuupppper dense...so i'd fall back to scala in action if it doesn't work for you

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

gucci void main posted:

also he instructs a coursea course that starts in three weeks: https://www.coursera.org/course/progfun

well poo poo that's good timing

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

*repeatedly tells the compiler that this type is in fact a boolean, and that this method returns a boolean, even though the compiler can loving figure it out*

*programs a p lang, has boring job and life, tells self that drinking is fun*

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Werthog 95 posted:

well poo poo that's good timing

take it! it's pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Nomnom Cookie posted:

*programs a p lang, has boring job and life, tells self that drinking is fun*

i heard there are languages where the compiler is smart enough to figure out types for you these days