Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

PezMaster posted:

I finally get to share our Discworld cosplay! My husband (Killamajig) and I have been working on them for the past month, but haven't been able to take any in-progress pictures since we work at night. The chest pieces are poster board, paper mache, paper clay, wood filler. The skirts are foam leather. My mom knitted up the chainmail - though she was a little worried at first why two grown adults wanted knit chainmail. Now she's really excited to see everything come together.

This is my Angua von Überwald. There's a bright pink bra somewhere under all that breast plate. The collar is my favourite :3:

My husband's Carrot. He wears those tights and that codpiece like a champion. The sword was the bane of his existence - It's cardboard, a wooden dowel, wood filler, oil paint medium, and lots of curse words. It looks okay in the picture, but it's pretty nasty close up.

We'll be headed to Emerald City this evening. Maybe we'll see a few of you there tomorrow? We'll make sure to take pictures of everything on us - I'm experimenting with really creepy blue contacts (though I just discovered I'm not a fan of stuff in my eyes, so we'll see how that goes) and Killamajig is adding more ginger into is already ginger hair.

I think next time I'd like to experiment with something other than paper clay. Wonderflex looks really cool - and now that we know how to form breastplates, I'm sure I'd be more confident working with it. The next cosplay on my list is a Jamie Lannister and Brienne of Tarth crossplay, or Green Arrow and Black Canary. One of Killamjig's requirement for the next set of costumes is that he's able to keep at least some facial hair. Carrot is way too clean shaven for him.

That chainmail looks awesome O_O

Does she do commissions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.

Red Robin Hood posted:

That chainmail looks awesome O_O

Does she do commissions?

You know, I could ask her. I'm sure she'd be flattered that someone liked her chainmail. It was a hit at the con! As were our costumes:

This is sadly, the only full body shot we got that day. Someone mentioned doing a photoshoot in costume, and I'm thinking I might treat us to one. People were really excited about our costumes - Discworld is a series that a lot of people love, but there isn't so much cosplay of, so the reactions were overblown when someone spotted and recognized us. My blue contacts were a hit too - I loved winking at old dudes and making faces at small children with them.

Even Ned Stark had a fan moment with my husband (and my husband totally had a fan moment with that guy's Ned Stark):

\/\/\/ Totally saw you! Well, your girlfriend. There were a lot of Stormtroopers about.

PezMaster fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 4, 2013

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I'd kill for a chainmail sweatshirt (and by kill I mean pay out the rear end).

You guys look great! Well done!

This weekend at ECCC 2013, my girlfriend and I:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I would love to do some Discworld cosplay, but I have this terrible feeling that the only character I could pull off would be Nobby. :(

Maybe Rincewind, but I would have to intentionally grow a terrible beard which is a lot of work.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.

Ashcans posted:

I would love to do some Discworld cosplay, but I have this terrible feeling that the only character I could pull off would be Nobby. :(

Maybe Rincewind, but I would have to intentionally grow a terrible beard which is a lot of work.

I don't think Rincewind had much of a beard compared to the other wizards, did he? There are also some really great examples of him in cosplay already to help you out. It seems like there are a lot of Rincewinds and, for some reason Moist von Lipwigs, running around.

The best thing about Disworld cosplay was that Discworld fans picked us out of a crowd right away, and got REALLY excited when they confirmed who we were. A lot of people asked if we had a Nobby, Fred, or Vimes running around too (I kinda wish that we did!). There was a Susan and a not-so enthused Hogfather Death at the Con as well:

I think Discworld is underrepresented, but pretty hard to do, because all we've got is a couple Paul Kidby pieces to go on. You could go for the BBC specials, but I don't think that would be as recognizable yet.

So, it's been decided - our next project will be Female Han Solo and a Male Slave Leia (based on this article: http://madartlab.com/2013/02/11/slave-leo/) just because I want to build a goddamn blaster and my husband wants to grow his beard back and blow all those sexy Stormtroopers/Jedis/Darth Vader with corsets out of the water. Plus, a big requirement for our next costume is being able to comfortably sit down in it. The armor was a bit much.

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
I was visiting my friend who is helping me out with my Erina cosplay this weekend. She's also going to be the Jonathan Joestar to my Erina (and just recently joined the forums, so may be posting her own progress here soon). The under dress is almost done, just needs sleeves and the bottom ruffle. In the meantime, I tried on the wig.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

PezMaster posted:

I don't think Rincewind had much of a beard compared to the other wizards, did he?

No, I mean, that's sort of the problem. Rather than growing an awesome huge wizard beard, I would have to intentionally grow the sort of weak, scraggly beard imitation that he is supposed to have. Left alone my beard gets to Aragorn in few days and only heads into Dwarf-town from there, so I would have to put a lot of work into keeping it crappy.

I don't think there are any skinny Dwarves, or that would be a real option.

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.
Cosplaying Ponder Stibbons would be hilarious, because you could spend all of your time telling people that no, you are not grown up Harry Potter.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
More progress photos, this time with splicer pics.

I know it's the wrong type of patch but it works for now.

Full on shot of the top with all the vest pieces laid out. Vest padding is made from foam batting that I was able to split in half to make it not as thick.

First layer of paper mache on the splicer mask is done. When it dries I'll see if I need to do another layer or not. If not then I'll be following up with plaster tape. and begin attaching the ears.

Hooks for the splicer. I couldn't find any plastic hooks at the local halloween express so I decided to just make my own. Made out of the same wire as the ears and mached. Handles are made from craft sticks.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Does anyone know where I can buy a hat like the bottom right, preferably online (since Australia)?

RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!
Here's one of the costume's that I wore to Animethon last summer.

The character is Goemon from Ganbare Goemon (AKA Mystical Ninja)

The following is an overview of the build starting with the Kiseru.

I started by creating cardboard frames of the curved portions and mounting them on an old curtain rod for support.

Then I filled in the spaces with expanding foam and shaved them down to size.

I then applied a coating of bondo to fill it in and give a surface to sand down.
After sanding I applied an automotive primer and sanded it down in preparation for the colour coat.

To make the bowl I used part of a pill bottle, the inverted top of a soda bottle and a smoothed down tennis ball.
I applied bondo and primer to it just like the other parts.

Here are all the parts prior to painting.
I also made decorative rings out of polystyrene scraps I had laying around.

To paint it I used some generic gold metallic automotive paint.
After the colour coat was dry I polished it down and applied a gloss coat.

I padded the handle with a piece from a foam gym mat.
Then I wove some ribbon around it as a finishing touch.

The finished piece.

I don't have any photo's documenting the rest of the costumes creation, but I'll write a short overview of how I went about it.

For the clothes, I bought an over-sized red shirt, some red fabric (for the pants) and some yellow fabric for the trim.
I cut off the sleeves and a good chunk of the front of the shirt and stitched some yellow trim around all the openings.
With the pants I just used a basic pattern and fed some elastic through the waist and knee openings.

I took a pair of white socks, turned them inside out, stitched a 'V' between the first and second toe, and snipped the space between.

The shin guards are halves of a cardboard tube wrapped in blue duct tape with elastics glued on.

The wig was a cheepo punk rocker wig bought off eBay with the back trimmed down.

Here is a close up of the makeup:

Other parts include black sandals and a black mesh shirt.

RabidGolfCart fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 9, 2013

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Test paint job on Nightmare Moon is going swimmingly!

I'm so pleased. Painting is one of my absolute favorite parts of costuming but usually it's like 2 hours before we have to pack the car and I'm frantically slapping black weathering into deep grooves. Major goals for the weekend are to finish shaping the greaves and make the thigh plates. Then it's just feet and the breastplate! :woop:

Estraven
Oct 18, 2012

That paint looks so pretty! I'm excited to see your whole costume.

I could use some advice. I'm cosplaying as the protagonist of Hotline Miami (Jacket) at PAX East this month. I want to put a lot of fake blood on my clothes/mask but I'm not sure how to do it. Should I splatter fabric paint on my outfit or will actual fake blood work? I'd like everything to look suitably creepy but I obviously don't want to actually drip anywhere and leave a mess at the convention! Any suggestions on what I can use would be super helpful.

pukey
Apr 27, 2011

Estraven posted:

I could use some advice. I'm cosplaying as the protagonist of Hotline Miami (Jacket) at PAX East this month. I want to put a lot of fake blood on my clothes/mask but I'm not sure how to do it. Should I splatter fabric paint on my outfit or will actual fake blood work? I'd like everything to look suitably creepy but I obviously don't want to actually drip anywhere and leave a mess at the convention! Any suggestions on what I can use would be super helpful.

Use slightly watered down acrylic paint. It's cheap, you can splatter it, and it doesn't fade on most fabrics. This is what I did for Halloween ages ago and all of that was acrylic paint. Just buy a crimson or a deep red or mix red+brown until your liking.

McPantserton: shiny blueeeeeeeeeeee.

RabidGolfCart: That's a sweet gold pipe you made there.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Aaaaaaaa in costume news, in addition to getting a ton of painting done this weekend, the welding shop is finished with our vac former frame! :woop: I have been having fantasies about all the things I'm going to vacuum form after I'm done with my Masters. 7 more weeks. :negative: As I mentioned, we're doing StarCraft marines for our big outfit this year but I'm planning on building Gabranth's armor from Final Fantasy XII after that.
:swoon: This daydream is what's getting me through Advanced Topics in Information Organization.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

Estraven posted:

See you there!

Estraven
Oct 18, 2012

pukey posted:

Use slightly watered down acrylic paint. It's cheap, you can splatter it, and it doesn't fade on most fabrics. This is what I did for Halloween ages ago and all of that was acrylic paint. Just buy a crimson or a deep red or mix red+brown until your liking.

That looks great! Thanks a bunch. So many of the fake blood tips I found involved using at least one type of edible material or another which I think would be super unpleasant for a full day's worth of wearing.

Flanker posted:

See you there!
Yay!

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

McPantserton posted:

Aaaaaaaa in costume news, in addition to getting a ton of painting done this weekend, the welding shop is finished with our vac former frame! :woop: I have been having fantasies about all the things I'm going to vacuum form after I'm done with my Masters. 7 more weeks. :negative: As I mentioned, we're doing StarCraft marines for our big outfit this year but I'm planning on building Gabranth's armor from Final Fantasy XII after that.
:swoon: This daydream is what's getting me through Advanced Topics in Information Organization.

OH MY GOD JUST WHEN I THOUGHT I COULD NOT LOVE YOU ANY MORE <3

I am playing through FF12 for like the 19999th time right now and I am once again seriously considering cosplaying Ashe, even though her clothes make no sense. But I would never attempt a judge because holy poo poo the armor. I cannot wait to see this and the finished Nightmare. SO EXCITE.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I did a quick simple thing for my cat today. Thought I'd cross-post it here as it is kind of like cosplay. The sewing was not my finest but I just wanted a silly thing to do.

Funhilde posted:

I spent most of my day yesterday giving bad news to friends. I decided to do something positive today.

I present Elmer The Grey

I think he just saw the Balrog in this one.

also I am going to be scratched in my sleep.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep
Helping my brother out with a crazy modern Captain America costume he wants to do.

Voodoo tactical gloves combined with martha stewart paint.

I have started rough work on a Beta Ray Bill get up.

For those of you attending PAX East I'll be dressed as Ghost (see AV pic). Please say hi

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
There really needs to be a 24 hour craft store, so close to finishing both my costumes but now I gotta wait until I can get more/better paint and brushes.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
I just got done at Allcon and now I am amped to make actually wear costumes to Akon. Finishing two that are almost done and making two new ones. I also have a bunch of conventions in August, which I decided to make some crazy contraption that I have an idea how I want it to look yet no idea how it will work. I want to at least finish a few costumes before I start work on it but right now in my free time at work I am researching different mechanisms for it. Now if I can just research and not actually start making it when I get home.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Finished off my Leon outfit today.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
^^^Hey, lookin' awesome! I freaking love Leon.^^^

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

OH MY GOD JUST WHEN I THOUGHT I COULD NOT LOVE YOU ANY MORE <3

I am playing through FF12 for like the 19999th time right now and I am once again seriously considering cosplaying Ashe, even though her clothes make no sense. But I would never attempt a judge because holy poo poo the armor. I cannot wait to see this and the finished Nightmare. SO EXCITE.

We are seriously going to have to meet up in the middle of the country sometime with all of our twinsies costumes and just TEAR IT UP. It will be GLORIOUS to behold.

And speaking of glorious to behold!

AAARGH it's our frame! Now for the fun part, doing the electrical work!!

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Is that a vacuuform setup? At first glance I thought it was a rotocaster.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Boomerjinks posted:

Is that a vacuuform setup? At first glance I thought it was a rotocaster.

Yep, vacuum former! Just the frame right now. It's going to be 2 x 2.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
And splicer is done.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

fallin1 posted:

And splicer is done.

drat that's nice. That splatters look great!

I've been thinking about doing a Splicer based off the actress type with the shrill voice, but it's proving difficult to find a cocktail dress that's just right, and cheap enough that I don't feel bad tearing it up. Thrift stores usually deliver, but not this time. :argh:

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
My only problem is that I made the ears too long so I have to duck when I enter or exit a room.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN

Anoia posted:

drat that's nice. That splatters look great!

I've been thinking about doing a Splicer based off the actress type with the shrill voice, but it's proving difficult to find a cocktail dress that's just right, and cheap enough that I don't feel bad tearing it up. Thrift stores usually deliver, but not this time. :argh:

You could ask Mecha Neko to make one for you :haw:

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Oh man I just saw the costume contest tomorrow. I hope I can be off work in time to actually enter.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I am scrapping every other costume plan I had and making Bioshock Infinite costumes from now until forever.

I want to be Mecha Gatling Washington more than just about anything. :ohdear:

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Distinctive fabrics is having a big moving sale!

http://www.distinctivefabric.com/clearance.php

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights

McPantserton posted:

I am scrapping every other costume plan I had and making Bioshock Infinite costumes from now until forever.

First that is the most ridiculously awesome thing I have ever seen.

Second I found the axe to go with the outfit I want from Tera... planning to start this after Akon as I am not sure how quickly this build will go. I though the costume was going to push my limits this massive beast will push even more. I can't wait to start but I will have to I am in the middle of 3 projects already.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

McPantserton posted:

Oh my god this is exactly my style/thing/obsession/whatever. It might be time to finally play Bioshock.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Rufus En Fuego posted:

Oh my god this is exactly my style/thing/obsession/whatever. It might be time to finally play Bioshock.

Infinite looks AMAZING. I was initially disappointed because the Big Daddy equivalent is kind of ugly IMO, but all the other "bad guy" character designs are just incredible and I want to build them ALL.

:swoon:

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

fallin1 posted:

My only problem is that I made the ears too long so I have to duck when I enter or exit a room.

Break the tips off in an artistic fashion? Splicers are supposed to be torn up, after all. You could even make it look like your Splice tried to hastily repair one by lashing it to the rest of the ear with wire or something (when you actually just hot glued it). I think the costume looks great though, and hope you get some funny stories about bumping into door frames.

Question: I am planning on a Candle Jack cosplay and I-

(boo, hack joke, couldn't resist)

Ok, I am planning on wearing a full bodysuit as a female. What are some kinds of belts/sashes I can make out of the same material as CJ's hood/shoes that can make wearing a bodysuit slightly more modest? I am thinking adding something shaped like this:

http://www.tmart.com/Black-Belly-Dance-Hip-Scarf-Coin-Wrap-Belt-Skirt-Hipscarf_p104291.html

except without the coins and in a suitable fabric. Is this stupid, or an acceptable addition to a costume?

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

four lean hounds posted:

Break the tips off in an artistic fashion? Splicers are supposed to be torn up, after all. You could even make it look like your Splice tried to hastily repair one by lashing it to the rest of the ear with wire or something (when you actually just hot glued it). I think the costume looks great though, and hope you get some funny stories about bumping into door frames.

Question: I am planning on a Candle Jack cosplay and I-

(boo, hack joke, couldn't resist)

Ok, I am planning on wearing a full bodysuit as a female. What are some kinds of belts/sashes I can make out of the same material as CJ's hood/shoes that can make wearing a bodysuit slightly more modest? I am thinking adding something shaped like this:

http://www.tmart.com/Black-Belly-Dance-Hip-Scarf-Coin-Wrap-Belt-Skirt-Hipscarf_p104291.html

except without the coins and in a suitable fabric. Is this stupid, or an acceptable addition to a costume?

Funny enough none of the doors at con were an issue. Friend told me that I've got a lot of pictures on the local sub-reddit from people who went to the con so I guess it was a success.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
I've committed to doing a Wizard and I'm now at the point where I need to pick fabric. I've already ordered some swatches, but they haven't arrived yet. I'm really worried I'm going to pick the wrong thing and it'll look bad.

How do you all choose what type of fabric to use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Reformed Tomboy posted:

I've committed to doing a Wizard and I'm now at the point where I need to pick fabric. I've already ordered some swatches, but they haven't arrived yet. I'm really worried I'm going to pick the wrong thing and it'll look bad.

How do you all choose what type of fabric to use?

Suitability, accuracy, and interest.

Suitability - Is this fabric appropriate for my purpose? Does it launder well? How will it look after a few uses? How will it hang in comparison to other fabrics? How well does it sew? It might look great, but if it's a pain in the rear end to work with or causes me to sweat like a pig after only wearing it for half an hour, I'd probably go with something else.

Accuracy - Does it look like something the character in their universe would use? Is it appropriate for the time period? Is it luxe enough or poor enough? Plenty of expensive-looking fabrics can be had on the cheap and vice versa.

Interest - Sometimes a fabric can be absolutely accurate to the character but look completely boring in person, so a little visual interest such as a fun weave or subtle print can really take it to the next level. Example: Lia in Le Chevalier D'Eon wore a wine colored gown, but flat wine was too boring, so I went with a wine/black duochrome taffeta and it was GORGEOUS.

These aren't hard and fast rules, but they're ones I absolutely live by and have worked wonderfully for me for the last ~25 years.