Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Uncle Jam posted:

Nova Go Server
http://www.nova.gs

If you want to be added to the SA group, just let me know your in-server name and I can add you no problem. We can also select an icon and a banner image for our group, if you gotta any hot anime pics.

I'm in as Bobby Digital, hook me up please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.

Uncle Jam posted:

Nova Go Server
In game as Dandemus, please add me.

RoboBlaster
Mar 25, 2005

Run, Robot, Run.
Uncle Jam hasn't been around in a while. I'd let you guys in but I don't have any way to do it.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really want to find a new hobby that I can feel good about sinking my time into unlike playing another horrid video game for way too much time.

I've tried Go before but I get so neurotic about being lovely at things and feel like I'm wasting time of people that are trying to teach me to play.

Can someone tell me I'm a beautiful flower while I go through these drat tutorials again and learn how the hell I'm supposed to play.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Sorry about my being terrible, but I added the people who asked and also made Robo an admin.

Haoma
Aug 14, 2003

Haoma posted:

4d by 2013

fail

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.

belt posted:

I really want to find a new hobby that I can feel good about sinking my time into unlike playing another horrid video game for way too much time.

I've tried Go before but I get so neurotic about being lovely at things and feel like I'm wasting time of people that are trying to teach me to play.

Can someone tell me I'm a beautiful flower while I go through these drat tutorials again and learn how the hell I'm supposed to play.

I'm pretty bad and very out of practice we can play together.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Prince Reggie K posted:

I'm pretty bad and very out of practice we can play together.

This sounds like a great idea to me. Are you on KGS or is there another way that you prefer to play?

Also, a question for the rest of the thread, is there a good supplier for a decent goban and stones? I'm trying to convince some friends to learn with me and would like to have a decent set. Price isn't a huge issue as long as it's decent quality.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Ymimports.com, Yellow Mountain imports, has good quality stuff, you get what you pay for. I splurged and got a $130 set with a board, cover, yunzi stones, bowls, and it will outlast me and is beautiful.

Alcoholism
Nov 17, 2010

Nova.gs seems cool, can I get a group invite? Username Alcoholism

RoboBlaster
Mar 25, 2005

Run, Robot, Run.

Alcoholism posted:

Nova.gs seems cool, can I get a group invite? Username Alcoholism

Invite sent!

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

belt posted:

I feel the same re: video games. If it's any consolation, Go has been around for 2000 years. It's dependable and deep

Come on KGS and add "oiseaux" to your friend & Fan list. PM me and I'll happily give teaching games! Also see OP for getting into the KGS SA room

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
I'll give Nova a try. Username is Tequila Bob.

RoboBlaster
Mar 25, 2005

Run, Robot, Run.

Tequila Bob posted:

I'll give Nova a try. Username is Tequila Bob.

You're invited.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
I too would like an invite to Nova. Username is belt

Thanks!

RoboBlaster
Mar 25, 2005

Run, Robot, Run.

belt posted:

I too would like an invite to Nova. Username is belt

Thanks!

sent

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

uh zip zoom posted:

I'm in as Bobby Digital, hook me up please

I think I got lost in the shuffle for an invite to the group on nova.gs, could I please get one?

RoboBlaster
Mar 25, 2005

Run, Robot, Run.

uh zip zoom posted:

I think I got lost in the shuffle for an invite to the group on nova.gs, could I please get one?

I'm not sure what keeps happening - I've added you a number of times. I just sent a request again. Also, users can now request to join the group so you can now ask for an invite in the system.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Hate this. Black to play and live

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Add me as a friend on Nova.gs, username: oiseaux

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Hate this. Black to play and live

I'm completely guessing here, but S3?

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
s3 r3 s1 gently caress this game asd[agf[a

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

IMlemon posted:

s3 r3 s1 gently caress this game asd[agf[a

That's what I got, gotta force dat snapback. It's an interesting problem though, I would have given it up for dead in a real game. That's pretty much why doing lots of problems makes you stronger I think - because you know that the problem MUST have a solution you solve it, whereas if you don't have that attitude in game, you'll give up after not trying to read it enough.

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 21, 2013

Successful Student
Jan 29, 2009
I joined nova.gs as Successful Student, please accept my request to join your group so that I can start learning how to play Go.

Wheeler W Wetherby
Sep 30, 2004

• Has an O-level in camel-hygiene
  • Can count up to 4
I'm in nova.gs as Wheeler. I'm really terrible, so hopefully I can play someone with some patience.

Edit: thanks for the add.

Wheeler W Wetherby fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 22, 2013

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Hey guys if any of you want teaching games I would heartily recommendcoming to KGS, because correspondence games (like on nova.gs) take a loooong time to complete. Instructions in the OP!

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Yeah, I think the biggest trap that new players get caught in when they learn go is taking way too loving long when they play games. DGS and other servers with post play are awful, awful ways to learn the game; they take forever and you miss out on the social aspect of being on a server with a bunch of people playing live games. You will never get any good at go without playing a lot of games, or making some strong friends to teach you poo poo. I get annoyed with the 30:00 base time per side on KGS for that reason, because new players just don't have thirty minutes of thought in their game and it's far more productive to just get out there and play a bunch of games. When two 16ks play a game that lasts an hour and ten minutes, that just says to me that they wasted an hour and could have done a best of seven instead.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

So I'm not quitting go or anything but just heads up I got a GBA go game for sale and also a DS go game for sale. Both from Japan.

I still play go sometimes...I miss you bros...

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Play Go every day.

Has anyone got any thoughts on Hirofumi's ~*crazy*~ openings? These were played in professional games.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

The second one looks like a couple of 30 kyu players at first.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't log into Nova.gs any more for some reason so sorry to those that I was playing. I guess my account was deleted or something :(

RoboBlaster
Mar 25, 2005

Run, Robot, Run.

belt posted:

I can't log into Nova.gs any more for some reason so sorry to those that I was playing. I guess my account was deleted or something :(

I contacted the admins, and they suggested you shoot a support email so they can get a better idea of what is going on.

edit: if you are using gmail to log in, be sure to press the google button instead of manually entering in the info in the login page.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thanks Robo, the admins contacted me and pointed out that I'm pretty much a giant idiot, haha.

I wish I could get the game back with Wheeler that I automatically forfeited.

RoboBlaster
Mar 25, 2005

Run, Robot, Run.

belt posted:

Thanks Robo, the admins contacted me and pointed out that I'm pretty much a giant idiot, haha.

I wish I could get the game back with Wheeler that I automatically forfeited.

Nah, you weren't the only one. The admins in chat said there were 3 or 4 others who had the same problem. They are trying to improve the UI.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Hey, I requested to join the Nova group, D Quad.

RoboBlaster
Mar 25, 2005

Run, Robot, Run.

Quad posted:

Hey, I requested to join the Nova group, D Quad.

You got it!

I've received a couple requests on the server from people wanting to join the group but with no post in this thread. If you want in, please post in here, too. Everybody play Go.

Also, since I don't think it's been mentioned here, this guy's (Nick Sibicky) video lecture series has been pretty helpful for me as a relative beginner.

RoboBlaster fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 4, 2013

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I've been dicking around with go for a while and I've always been pretty terrible at it, but I have a good time. I get the basic idea, but I've never done problems and can't really beat anyone who has more than an inkling of how to play. Recently I decided to take advantage of the fact I live in China and find an old sagely dude to teach me the ways of weiqi.

I found out there's a center that teaches caligraphy, painting, music, chinese chess, and go near my house so I hit that it up. A lot of middle schoolers, but a number of college kids and young professionals getting their go and music on. Excited to have a foreigner in their midst, some old dude who is apparently pretty well ranked and the big bossman of the center wanted to sit down and play against me just to see what the white devil was like on the go board.

About 5 minutes later he sighed and called over a 7 year old kid, He then instructed the 7 year old to teach me the fundamentals of Not Being A Bad and went off elsewhere.

So yeah, now I'm learning go from a 7 year old. :engleft:

I'll let you all know if I ever outgrow my teacher I won't this kid is too good, he gave me some of his old problem books because he thinks they're too easy.

I do have a question though. All my experience is in China using Chinese scoring rules, but all the online go mentioned here seems to use Japanese scoring. I've been told like 99% of the time both methods will end up at the same person winning, but am I going to be at even more of a disadvantage going in with Japanese rules? Are play-styles radically different between the two?

RoboBlaster
Mar 25, 2005

Run, Robot, Run.
First, as someone who has nobody to play with IRL, I am super jealous that you have the ability to immerse yourself like that. Take advantage and you'll get stronger super quick! In regards to scoring, don't worry about it at all - you won't be winning your first games anyway, just focus on getting a hang of things first.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Magna Kaser posted:

I do have a question though. All my experience is in China using Chinese scoring rules, but all the online go mentioned here seems to use Japanese scoring. I've been told like 99% of the time both methods will end up at the same person winning, but am I going to be at even more of a disadvantage going in with Japanese rules? Are play-styles radically different between the two?
No.

I'm just guessing from the way it works, but it seems to me that Japanese scoring was designed to give the same result as Chinese scoring, but also to be faster to count. So if anything it will help you estimate the score more quickly during the game.

Also, under Chinese scoring, if your opponent wants to fill all the dame (the little pockets of neutral territory at the end of the game) you'll need to follow suit, but often either one point isn't enough to affect the result or there are an even number of dame, so the players won't bother. (Under Japanese scoring, the dame are not worth any points at all.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Here is an explanation I wrote some time ago of a once-in-a-blue-moon corner case where different scoring rules produce different results (this won't happen to you):

Xom posted:

For example, there's a corner position called Bent Four in the Corner. White (for supposition) has a tiny group in the corner. Black has a move that initiates a favorable ko fight (i.e. White needs to make his first ko threat before Black makes his) that kills the group if Black wins it and lets it live if White wins it. White has no way to initiate any such ko fight (favorable or not), and neither player has any other move that improves his position in the corner.

Under Chinese rules, Black could wait until no other score-improving moves are available, then preemptively defend against any ko threats otherwise still available for White to make; this involves Black filling in his own territory, which doesn't affect the score under Chinese rules. Then Black can play the move that starts the ko fight, which he will win "for free"; typically, you can only win a ko fight by ignoring a ko threat, to which your opponent gets to follow up for some payoff, but in this case White has no moves to which, even if Black didn't respond, a follow-up would improve White's score. The players can foresee all this and consider White's group to be dead, with no need to play it out.

Under Japanese rules, filling in his own territory would reduce Black's score. But that's okay, because under Japanese rules, when you decide whether a group is dead after play has ended, it's considered dead as long as you can kill it for sure, even if killing it would involve some loss elsewhere.* So the result is the same: White's group is considered dead, without affecting the scoring of the rest of the board.

But once in a blue moon, there will be a ko threat White can make that Black has no way to preemptively neutralize. Under Chinese rules, its existence may be detrimental to Black's final score, depending on the rest of the board (a player with sufficiently many, sufficiently powerful ko threats can win a ko fight "for free" with no need to think about removable / unremovable ko threats). Under Japanese rules, White's group is still considered dead no matter what, and the final score would not be affected by the fact that killing it would involve some loss elsewhere.

*(A different, more contrived scenario to illustrate this: if White had two groups, and Black could kill either one of them, but doing so would let White save the other one, and White has no way to force Black to start playing this out, then when play ends, both groups would be considered dead under Japanese rules. Under Chinese rules, Black would have to play it out before ending the game, so he'd have to let one of White's groups live.)