Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lol j-language people hate the truth

truth is not important to j-language people ergo it doesn't exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
one hundred and five is obv 4

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
and the parser just exploded

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

tbh as much as I've truly loved hating on node.js, I can't be anything but impressed that sites like trello seem to work so well on a node.js + mongodb stack

Bream
Feb 3, 2013

Farmer's Barket

JawnV6 posted:

one hundred and five is obv 4

Well, great, now we need to add another operator for "is-obviously".

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

siri-based type checking

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

type inference is the devil, i'm reading some pattern matching code and every line introduces like three new names and i have no idea what anything is anymore

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
p-langs is about choice

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

p-langs is about choice

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

p-langs is about choice

yes, the wrong choice

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

p langs is about quick prototyping, or when you don't have the time to dive into a completely different ecosystem, or when you know you're going to be using some specialized library, or that your problem benefits from REPL-based development

i suggest p = pragmatic langs

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

is scala a plang or a jlang

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Werthog 95 posted:

is scala a plang or a jlang

neither, maybe an f-lang like clojure or haskell or f#

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

horse mans posted:

p langs is about quick prototyping, or when you don't have the time to dive into a completely different ecosystem, or when you know you're going to be using some specialized library, or that your problem benefits from REPL-based development

actually quick ui prototyping is better in xaml and quick code prototyping is better in c#/java because its not really different from p-langs in terms of speed of development and you get access to all the platform bonuses.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
because ur coding in ur pj's

Bream
Feb 3, 2013

Farmer's Barket

Suspicious Dish posted:

p-langs is about choice

horse mans posted:

I don't think that anyone could seriously unequivocally say that js et al were not appropriate for some task. I mean, every language exists because it met someone's needs enough for them to create it, whether those needs were pedagogy, performance, pragmatism.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

lua is a glue language and it shows

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MononcQc posted:

Yeah it'd be nice. At this point I favor writing components that are easier to throw away and replace than writing components that are reusable.

E: it often turns out that components that are easy to throw away end up being well isolated and thus easy to reuse, too.

loose coupling over extensibility every day

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
javascript is good for:
popping up a window
closing a window
form validation

everything else is an abuse of javascript.

Bream
Feb 3, 2013

Farmer's Barket

Shaggar posted:

javascript is good for:
popping up a window
closing a window
form validation

everything else is an abuse of javascript.

Now let's talk about abuses of http.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Shaggar posted:

actually quick ui prototyping is better in xaml and quick code prototyping is better in c#/java because its not really different from p-langs in terms of speed of development and you get access to all the platform bonuses.

ah yes, the much valued platform bonuses of Microshit Winblows

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bream posted:

Now let's talk about abuses of http.

http is an abuse

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

horse mans posted:

ah yes, the much valued platform bonuses of Microshit Winblows

yeah like a standard lib that works, the tied for best ide and tools, and far and away the best ui framework there is. and that's just for starters

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

and as an extra bonus: no mobile customers, so you don't have to worry about people using your applications

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
remember when a bunch of idiots literally thought html5 would be useful for mobile development? lol that was funny!

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
remember when java was a set top box language that got pushed into the web browser? the promise of write once, debug everywhere

don't let me stop this entirely stupid slap fight, it's not like you can't get dynamic typing (or, as some might call, late binding), and type checking in the same language

none of this poo poo is mutually exclusive, just that the languages you're championing can't seem to get this idea in their head

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hey tef what's the best language

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
the p stands for poop

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Werthog 95 posted:

hey tef what's the best language

prolog

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
:2bong:

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

tef posted:

prolog

*nam style flashback to Programming Languages course*
Pepe never made it back

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i accidentally gave everybody in my programming languages class the answers to our last prolog assignment when i showed them to a friend using a public pastebin and it showed up on google like 5 minutes later

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i simultaneously hope to never be a professional java programmer again (enjoying some hobby python programming atm), and feel that it is obvious that java has more solid thought and engineering behind it than the p-languages v:shobon:v

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

prolog is too magic for me, I have no mental model of how it functions (probably because I only used it once in Programming Languages Class, like half the other people in this thread)

clearly the only solution to this is to write more prolog

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i simultaneously hope to never be a professional java programmer again (enjoying some hobby python programming atm), and feel that it is obvious that java has more solid thought and engineering behind it than the p-languages v:shobon:v

if it takes more boilerplate to write your code, that just must mean that the language is better engineered!

all my favorite languages are 90% autogenerated by my IDE, I love reading & editing code written by a machine

java is the assembly of 2013 (except with uglier syntax)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i'm teaching the cs logics course this fall, need to get back into prolog :hellyeah:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Shaggar posted:

remember when a bunch of idiots literally thought html5 would be useful for mobile development? lol that was funny!
                       /

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

PleasingFungus posted:

prolog is too magic for me, I have no mental model of how it functions (probably because I only used it once in Programming Languages Class, like half the other people in this thread)

clearly the only solution to this is to write more prolog

prolog is kinda like many things in that the ones teaching it often have a very poor understanding of it.

read the art of prolog, it's pretty explanatory and kinda neat

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
prolog is sw8, though i have no idea if somebody's written some real rear end poo poo innit

the past 3 pages look like a bipolar aspie's diary btw

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
it shipped inside of nt-4 for debugging irq conflicts.

it's a bit of a velvet underground in that it is less about what was accomplished and more about what was inspired by it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

tef posted:

prolog is kinda like many things in that the ones teaching it often have a very poor understanding of it.

read the art of prolog, it's pretty explanatory and kinda neat

make sure you get a very recent copy, mine had all sorts of errata in it that was hand edited in

also, one thing that helped me was writing a unification program. it's not too hard to make a simple unifier if you've already written a primitive compiler and it will go a long way in explaining how prolog goes about its business