Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

rotor posted:

i dont really find myself needing to "encode" my "specifications" into code because I dont write libraries any more. back when i did, I didn't find that "byte, int, char*, char*, byte" was significantly clearer that "var, var, var, var, var", you either have them descriptively named or you have docs.

jesus christ how dense are you? my entire point is that you can do more with type systems than "byte, int, char*, char*, byte", and you might appreciate this if you learned about types beyond C

or, you know, you can just reject a useful tool because you never learned how to use it properly. most programmers do too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

JewKiller 3000 posted:

jesus christ how dense are you? my entire point is that you can do more with type systems than "byte, int, char*, char*, byte", and you might appreciate this if you learned about types beyond C

wow, interesting, this is fascinating new information to me. thanks. ive never programmed these "object orientated" programs before so this is all so different.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i get it though, you do enough of one thing for long enough and you forget about how other things have different uses and requirements.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

vba and ssis both could have been so much better, maybe we'd actually be in a golden age by now

loving mikkkroshaft

if you could use c# instead of vba in excel people would start writing poo poo like email clients and webbrowsers in there. vba has to exist to prevent excel from consuming everything. im pretty sure you could create a library in .net an expose it to com for use in vba if you wanted.

assuming ssis is sql server integration services, cant you write c# for that? if its all vba im gonna be disappointed when our 2000->2012 migration is complete cause that's what I was most looking forward to.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

my argument here isn't from a correctness standpoint, it's from an roi standpoint. type safety for me is where returns stop being real high. and as for the "encoding my specifications", well, i have had the luxury in the past decade or so to not have to worry about that because I'm not writing for a general audience.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
and of course you assume i'm talking about oop. respond to my loving post not whatever motivations you suppose i have

i'm not saying that absolutely every program must be written in a language with a static type system, i never said that. you originally posted that type safety wasn't useful because of the sort of errors it catches. i'm disagreeing with that, it can catch much more important bugs than "true" vs True, if you have a powerful enough type system (not c) and you learn how to use it well enough (not tbc)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

JewKiller 3000 posted:

and of course you assume i'm talking about oop. respond to my loving post not whatever motivations you suppose i have

and you should settle the gently caress down, beavis.

quote:

i'm not saying that absolutely every program must be written in a language with a static type system, i never said that. you originally posted that type safety wasn't useful because of the sort of errors it catches. i'm disagreeing with that,

that's cool but that's not what I said

quote:

it can catch much more important bugs than "true" vs True, if you have a powerful enough type system (not c) and you learn how to use it well enough (not tbc)

and I said that generally in the code I've written catching those bugs is not worth the time it takes to deal with strict typing. please respond to my loving post not whatever bullshit you think i posted.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

if you could use c# instead of vba in excel people would start writing poo poo like email clients and webbrowsers in there. vba has to exist to prevent excel from consuming everything.
just don't provide the api for it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I've never seen a downside to static typing and only the very real possibility of mistakes that comes with dynamic typing so idk why you'd ever want the later. Let the compiler tell you about your bugs instead of waiting to (hopefully) discover them in your tests at runtime.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

to sum up: im not arguing that typing isn't useful, i'm saying that in the things i've written, it's - generally - not worth the time. maybe you have a different project, or more time, or higher quality requirements, or any of a hundred different other variables. sure, that's cool. I've worked on a few libraries where things would have been a mess if it was untyped. But they've been the exception rather than the rule.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

I've never seen a downside to static typing and only the very real possibility of mistakes that comes with dynamic typing so idk why you'd ever want the later.

types for everything makes refactoring harder, so you do it less.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
i have never had a bug where the root cause turned out to by php type coercion, ever

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
i think what we've learned today is that the answer is that sometimes one thing is good and sometimes the other is good

so can we close this thread now or what

FamDav fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 4, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
can we make it so that only tef and how!! and tbc and shaggar can post

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

can we make it so that only tef and how!! and tbc and shaggar can post

why would you ever do that teffu

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
the three stooges vs the one who knows what hes talking about

now previewing in theaters near you

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I enjoy posting in here and will not give it up no matter what people choose :argh:

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

rotor posted:

we're through the rabbit hole here folks

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rotor posted:

I would say it makes it easier cause you can guarantee you don't miss anything when u refactor.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

if you could use c# instead of vba in excel people would start writing poo poo like email clients and webbrowsers in there. vba has to exist to prevent excel from consuming everything.
wrong, the real reason is bill gates

Bream
Feb 3, 2013

Farmer's Barket
I think strict static typing is great because when you run into a place where you have to resort to punning, that's a good time to think hard about what you're doing. When I've done lovely poo poo in languages with dynamic typing, I've always wanted a way to have my "magic thinking machine" warn me if I'm not explicit about what I intended.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

I would say it makes it easier cause you can guarantee you don't miss anything when u refactor.

i would say it makes it harder because if it's just a pass-through, which so much stuff is, theres a lot more superficial change

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

rotor posted:

it's a lot easier to deal with breaking changes when your whole IDE turns bright red with underlines when you gently caress up, compared to potentially dealing with case-by-case runtime issues.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Optional typing systems :whatup:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

MononcQc posted:

Optional typing systems :whatup:

actionscript :allears:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

all interfaces need to specify types either way, with dynamic typing you will just have to put the specifications into the documentation instead

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

all interfaces need to specify types either way, with dynamic typing you will just have to put the specifications into the documentation instead

says who?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

for adapters or facades or whatever, no, they dont. they're just pass-throughs that dont care what the actual object is, they just relay it to the next thing.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

well, depends a bit on your views sure, but at least if you are expecting anyone else to call into the interface you will probably want to tell them something about how it is done beyond the name of the function

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Shaggar posted:

if you could use c# instead of vba in excel people would start writing poo poo like email clients and webbrowsers in there. vba has to exist to prevent excel from consuming everything. im pretty sure you could create a library in .net an expose it to com for use in vba if you wanted.

assuming ssis is sql server integration services, cant you write c# for that? if its all vba im gonna be disappointed when our 2000->2012 migration is complete cause that's what I was most looking forward to.

i daydream about jamming an R-like into a spreadsheet program just to see if its as awesome as i imagine

ssis does use vba until 2008, then you can use C# as well, but the whole thing is like an almost-ran integration system that only exists today because of intertia

i think it sucks worse because of what it could have been

Bream
Feb 3, 2013

Farmer's Barket

well, depends a bit on your views sure, but at least if you are expecting anyone else to call into the interface you will probably want to tell them something about how it is done beyond the name of the function

That presumes the use of an float when I meant an int and it gets truncated instead of rounded which is what I would have wanted was intentional and how is there this much discussion about types. Surely there has to be better p fodder. Lazy evaluation or something.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

rotor posted:

typescript :allears:

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bream posted:

That presumes the use of an float when I meant an int and it gets truncated instead of rounded which is what I would have wanted was intentional and how is there this much discussion about types. Surely there has to be better p fodder. Lazy evaluation or something.

in that case you probably wanted better numeric types than int and float, maybe an integer or a decimal

fetishizing an implementation detail such as uint32 or ulong128 is silly, math textbooks don't talk about those and don't have the concept of overflow either

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

More languages with optional typing systems:

• Smalltalk (Strongtalk)
  • Erlang (Dialyzer)
  • Racket
  • Clojure
  • Qi / Shen
  • Dylan
  • Modula-3 (allowed unsafe modules)
  • Python (I've seen some attempts at least)

Those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head. They vary from type hints to full type systems that can be disabled or enabled on demand.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
also common lisp

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if it can be done with the code you wrote, perl will figure out and just do that so you can get on with your day.
otherwise it'll die and will give u some hints on how to fix it, if possible

no type problems in perl, give it a shot sometime.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

MononcQc posted:

More languages with optional typing systems:

• Smalltalk (Strongtalk)
  • Erlang (Dialyzer)
  • Racket
  • Clojure
  • Qi / Shen
  • Dylan
  • Modula-3 (allowed unsafe modules)
  • Python (I've seen some attempts at least)

Those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head. They vary from type hints to full type systems that can be disabled or enabled on demand.

Technically dynamic languages have exactly one type ( haskell's data.dynamic allows you to do some neat things)

Also one if the dumber things about ghc is that with two commonly used type system extensions you can thoroughly break it by writing unsafeCoerce

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

i daydream about jamming an R-like into a spreadsheet program just to see if its as awesome as i imagine

ssis does use vba until 2008, then you can use C# as well, but the whole thing is like an almost-ran integration system that only exists today because of intertia

i think it sucks worse because of what it could have been

we're using dts on 2000 and barely suits our needs now. ssis has the potential to fix a lot of problems we have w/ the limitations of dts and I have no problem spending time writing connectors or whatever to provide more functionality. right now we have this piece of poo poo esb (mule) that I want to throw away and ssis will let me throw away like 90% of what we use mule for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Malcolm XML posted:

Technically dynamic languages have exactly one type ( haskell's data.dynamic allows you to do some neat things)

Also one if the dumber things about ghc is that with two commonly used type system extensions you can thoroughly break it by writing unsafeCoerce

Some of these type checkers are fully equivalent to a static one (Racket and Modula-3 for example) where you can block compilation on errors. Whether checks are duplicated at run time or not is an entirely different issue.